|By PR Newswire||
|August 13, 2014 09:01 AM EDT||
SAN LEANDRO, California, August 13, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
July report reveals salary differences in the United States
TriNet (NYSE: TNET), a leading cloud-based provider of HR services, today announced the findings of its July 2014 issue of TriNet SMBeat, a monthly analysis of small to medium-sized business (SMB) employment and human capital economic indicators. July's SMBeat features an analysis of specific gender trends in salaries and workforce composition across different industries in the United States. Among other findings, the report highlights that during the first quarter of 2014, women on average earned 83 cents for every dollar a man earned.
Over the past century, the United States has enacted legislation requiring workers to be paid equal amounts for equal work, regardless of gender and race. And just this year, President Obama signed a Presidential Memorandum instructing the Secretary of Labor to establish new regulations requiring federal contractors to disclose compensation data by race and sex to the Department of Labor. It is expected this data will enable the Department of Labor to encourage compliance with equal pay laws and target enforcement more effectively. Despite these efforts, there is still a significant earnings gap between men and women in the United States.
Below are key findings of the July 2014 TriNet SMBeat Report. The data is sourced from TriNet's over 9,000 clients and more than 258,000 worksite employees in the U.S and the Bureau of Labor Statistics:
- On average, the annual salary in 2014 for workers across all industries in the United States was found to be $45,084 for men and $37,232 for women, amounting to an 83% salary gap.
- When looking at the variation across executive level employees, the median base salary gap was 85%. Men in these positions made median base salaries of $175,000 while women make $148,980. Though, men held 85% of these executive jobs.
- For the financial services industry specifically, men earn median base salaries of $90,964, while women earned just $50,000. However, there was a more balanced ratio of men to women in this sector, with 57% men and 43% women. The financial services sector had the largest gender salary gap for executives, with women earning 69% of men's median base salary, or $175,000 compared to $120,000.
- Breaking financial services salaries down by region, women earned 71% of what men earned in Los Angeles, $50,648 median base salary compared to $71,512 respectively. In New York and the San Francisco Bay area, the finance sector showed an even larger gap as women earned 62% of what men make.
- In the tech sector, the median salary gap was 67%. Men earned a median $105,000 and women earned $70,000 in annual base salary. The tech sector executives had the most equitable base salary across all verticals. Female tech executives earned $164,008 compared to $169,173 for men.
- By region, New York was the most equitable of the major cities considered in the report, with women representing 33% of the workforce with a salary gap of 70%.
- In the San Francisco Bay Area, women in tech earned higher median base salaries than women in the other cities, with average wages of $84,131.
In addition to the findings on the salary gap, below are the key findings on economic employment indicators across TriNet's clients in July:
- Net job growth overall moved to 2.11%, increasing from June's growth of 2.04%.
- The technology sector saw 3.52% net growth, up from last month's growth of 3.24%. The Atlanta Metro Area led the tech sector with 5.89% net job growth, surpassing Los Angeles, New York, Denver-Boulder, Silicon Valley and Boston area.
- The financial services sector has been steadily growing this year, but July's growth of 1.06% was slower than in previous months. The New York Metro Area led this vertical with 1.34% net job growth in July. The Dallas-Fort Worth and the Los Angeles Metro Areas also grew though not as strongly as New York, with 0.45% and 0.30%, respectively.
For additional details and to receive monthly SMBeat alerts, visit TriNet.com/smbeat.
TriNet is a leading provider of a comprehensive human resources solution for small to medium-sized businesses, or SMBs. We enhance business productivity by enabling our clients to outsource their human resources, or HR, function to one strategic partner and allowing them to focus on operating and growing their core businesses. Our HR solution includes services such as payroll processing, human capital consulting, employment law compliance and employee benefits, including health insurance, retirement plans and workers compensation insurance. Our services are delivered by our expert team of HR professionals and enabled by our proprietary, cloud-based technology platform, which allows our clients and their employees to efficiently conduct their HR transactions anytime and anywhere. For more information, please visit http://www.trinet.com.
TriNet, Ambitions Realized and the TriNet logo are registered trademarks of TriNet. All other trademarks, service marks, registered trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of their respective owners.
1. Fact Sheet: Expanding Opportunity for All: Ensuring Equal Pay for Women and Promoting the Women's Economic Agenda. The White House Office of the Press Secretary April 8, 2014.
2. As of June 30, 2014. Data is sourced from full-time and salaried employees of TriNet's clients, which we refer to as worksite employees.
3. The Bureau of Labor Statistics, "Economic News Release, Table 1: Median usual weekly earnings of full-time wage and salary workers by sex, quarterly averages, seasonally adjusted." July 24, 2014.
4. Data is sourced from full-time and salaried employees of TriNet's clients, which we refer to as worksite employees.
WebRTC defines no default signaling protocol, causing fragmentation between WebRTC silos. SIP and XMPP provide possibilities, but come with considerable complexity and are not designed for use in a web environment. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Matthew Hodgson, technical co-founder of the Matrix.org, discussed how Matrix is a new non-profit Open Source Project that defines both a new HTTP-based standard for VoIP & IM signaling and provides reference implementations.
Oct. 24, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,708
The Internet of Things (IoT), in all its myriad manifestations, has great potential. Much of that potential comes from the evolving data management and analytic (DMA) technologies and processes that allow us to gain insight from all of the IoT data that can be generated and gathered. This potential may never be met as those data sets are tied to specific industry verticals and single markets, with no clear way to use IoT data and sensor analytics to fulfill the hype being given the IoT today.
Oct. 24, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,589
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee Atchison, Principal Cloud Architect and Advocate at New Relic, discussed cloud as a ‘better data center’ and how it adds new capacity (faster) and improves application availability (redundancy). The cloud is a ‘Dynamic Tool for Dynamic Apps’ and resource allocation is an integral part of your application architecture, so use only the resources you need and allocate /de-allocate resources on the fly.
Oct. 24, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,704
As data explodes in quantity, importance and from new sources, the need for managing and protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and cloud environments grow with it. Managing data includes protecting it, indexing and classifying it for true, long-term management, compliance and E-Discovery. Commvault can ensure this with a single pane of glass solution – whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enter...
Oct. 24, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,396
Traditional on-premises data centers have long been the domain of modern data platforms like Apache Hadoop, meaning companies who build their business on public cloud were challenged to run Big Data processing and analytics at scale. But recent advancements in Hadoop performance, security, and most importantly cloud-native integrations, are giving organizations the ability to truly gain value from all their data. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, David Tishgart, Director of Product Marketing ...
Oct. 24, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,548
So you think you are a DevOps warrior, huh? Put your money (not really, it’s free) where your metrics are and prove it by taking The Ultimate DevOps Geek Quiz Challenge, sponsored by DevOps Summit. Battle through the set of tough questions created by industry thought leaders to earn your bragging rights and win some cool prizes.
Oct. 24, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,988
We're entering the post-smartphone era, where wearable gadgets from watches and fitness bands to glasses and health aids will power the next technological revolution. With mass adoption of wearable devices comes a new data ecosystem that must be protected. Wearables open new pathways that facilitate the tracking, sharing and storing of consumers’ personal health, location and daily activity data. Consumers have some idea of the data these devices capture, but most don’t realize how revealing and...
Oct. 24, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,929
A completely new computing platform is on the horizon. They’re called Microservers by some, ARM Servers by others, and sometimes even ARM-based Servers. No matter what you call them, Microservers will have a huge impact on the data center and on server computing in general. Although few people are familiar with Microservers today, their impact will be felt very soon. This is a new category of computing platform that is available today and is predicted to have triple-digit growth rates for some ...
Oct. 24, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 34,150
Governments around the world are adopting Safe Harbor privacy provisions to protect customer data from leaving sovereign territories. Increasingly, global companies are required to create new instances of their server clusters in multiple countries to keep abreast of these new Safe Harbor laws. Is it worth it? In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Adam Rogers, Managing Director of Anexia, Inc., will discuss how to keep your data legal and still stay in business.
Oct. 24, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,448
In past @ThingsExpo presentations, Joseph di Paolantonio has explored how various Internet of Things (IoT) and data management and analytics (DMA) solution spaces will come together as sensor analytics ecosystems. This year, in his session at @ThingsExpo, Joseph di Paolantonio from DataArchon, will be adding the numerous Transportation areas, from autonomous vehicles to “Uber for containers.” While IoT data in any one area of Transportation will have a huge impact in that area, combining sensor...
Oct. 24, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 844
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftNet Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SoftNet Solutions specializes in Enterprise Solutions for Hadoop and Big Data. It offers customers the most open, robust, and value-conscious portfolio of solutions, services, and tools for the shortest route to success with Big Data. The unique differentiator is the ability to architect and ...
Oct. 24, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 870
SYS-CON Events announced today that MathFreeOn will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MathFreeOn is Software as a Service (SaaS) used in Engineering and Math education. Write scripts and solve math problems online. MathFreeOn provides online courses for beginners or amateurs who have difficulties in writing scripts. In accordance with various mathematical topics, there are more tha...
Oct. 24, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,004
The best way to leverage your Cloud Expo presence as a sponsor and exhibitor is to plan your news announcements around our events. The press covering Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo will have access to these releases and will amplify your news announcements. More than two dozen Cloud companies either set deals at our shows or have announced their mergers and acquisitions at Cloud Expo. Product announcements during our show provide your company with the most reach through our targeted audiences.
Oct. 24, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,712
Successful transition from traditional IT to cloud computing requires three key ingredients: an IT architecture that allows companies to extend their internal best practices to the cloud, a cost point that allows economies of scale, and automated processes that manage risk exposure and maintain regulatory compliance with industry regulations (FFIEC, PCI-DSS, HIPAA, FISMA). The unique combination of VMware, the IBM Cloud, and Cloud Raxak, a 2016 Gartner Cool Vendor in IT Automation, provides a co...
Oct. 24, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,217
More and more brands have jumped on the IoT bandwagon. We have an excess of wearables – activity trackers, smartwatches, smart glasses and sneakers, and more that track seemingly endless datapoints. However, most consumers have no idea what “IoT” means. Creating more wearables that track data shouldn't be the aim of brands; delivering meaningful, tangible relevance to their users should be. We're in a period in which the IoT pendulum is still swinging. Initially, it swung toward "smart for smar...
Oct. 24, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 998