|By PR Newswire||
|August 13, 2014 09:01 AM EDT||
SAN LEANDRO, California, August 13, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
July report reveals salary differences in the United States
TriNet (NYSE: TNET), a leading cloud-based provider of HR services, today announced the findings of its July 2014 issue of TriNet SMBeat, a monthly analysis of small to medium-sized business (SMB) employment and human capital economic indicators. July's SMBeat features an analysis of specific gender trends in salaries and workforce composition across different industries in the United States. Among other findings, the report highlights that during the first quarter of 2014, women on average earned 83 cents for every dollar a man earned.
Over the past century, the United States has enacted legislation requiring workers to be paid equal amounts for equal work, regardless of gender and race. And just this year, President Obama signed a Presidential Memorandum instructing the Secretary of Labor to establish new regulations requiring federal contractors to disclose compensation data by race and sex to the Department of Labor. It is expected this data will enable the Department of Labor to encourage compliance with equal pay laws and target enforcement more effectively. Despite these efforts, there is still a significant earnings gap between men and women in the United States.
Below are key findings of the July 2014 TriNet SMBeat Report. The data is sourced from TriNet's over 9,000 clients and more than 258,000 worksite employees in the U.S and the Bureau of Labor Statistics:
- On average, the annual salary in 2014 for workers across all industries in the United States was found to be $45,084 for men and $37,232 for women, amounting to an 83% salary gap.
- When looking at the variation across executive level employees, the median base salary gap was 85%. Men in these positions made median base salaries of $175,000 while women make $148,980. Though, men held 85% of these executive jobs.
- For the financial services industry specifically, men earn median base salaries of $90,964, while women earned just $50,000. However, there was a more balanced ratio of men to women in this sector, with 57% men and 43% women. The financial services sector had the largest gender salary gap for executives, with women earning 69% of men's median base salary, or $175,000 compared to $120,000.
- Breaking financial services salaries down by region, women earned 71% of what men earned in Los Angeles, $50,648 median base salary compared to $71,512 respectively. In New York and the San Francisco Bay area, the finance sector showed an even larger gap as women earned 62% of what men make.
- In the tech sector, the median salary gap was 67%. Men earned a median $105,000 and women earned $70,000 in annual base salary. The tech sector executives had the most equitable base salary across all verticals. Female tech executives earned $164,008 compared to $169,173 for men.
- By region, New York was the most equitable of the major cities considered in the report, with women representing 33% of the workforce with a salary gap of 70%.
- In the San Francisco Bay Area, women in tech earned higher median base salaries than women in the other cities, with average wages of $84,131.
In addition to the findings on the salary gap, below are the key findings on economic employment indicators across TriNet's clients in July:
- Net job growth overall moved to 2.11%, increasing from June's growth of 2.04%.
- The technology sector saw 3.52% net growth, up from last month's growth of 3.24%. The Atlanta Metro Area led the tech sector with 5.89% net job growth, surpassing Los Angeles, New York, Denver-Boulder, Silicon Valley and Boston area.
- The financial services sector has been steadily growing this year, but July's growth of 1.06% was slower than in previous months. The New York Metro Area led this vertical with 1.34% net job growth in July. The Dallas-Fort Worth and the Los Angeles Metro Areas also grew though not as strongly as New York, with 0.45% and 0.30%, respectively.
For additional details and to receive monthly SMBeat alerts, visit TriNet.com/smbeat.
TriNet is a leading provider of a comprehensive human resources solution for small to medium-sized businesses, or SMBs. We enhance business productivity by enabling our clients to outsource their human resources, or HR, function to one strategic partner and allowing them to focus on operating and growing their core businesses. Our HR solution includes services such as payroll processing, human capital consulting, employment law compliance and employee benefits, including health insurance, retirement plans and workers compensation insurance. Our services are delivered by our expert team of HR professionals and enabled by our proprietary, cloud-based technology platform, which allows our clients and their employees to efficiently conduct their HR transactions anytime and anywhere. For more information, please visit http://www.trinet.com.
TriNet, Ambitions Realized and the TriNet logo are registered trademarks of TriNet. All other trademarks, service marks, registered trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of their respective owners.
1. Fact Sheet: Expanding Opportunity for All: Ensuring Equal Pay for Women and Promoting the Women's Economic Agenda. The White House Office of the Press Secretary April 8, 2014.
2. As of June 30, 2014. Data is sourced from full-time and salaried employees of TriNet's clients, which we refer to as worksite employees.
3. The Bureau of Labor Statistics, "Economic News Release, Table 1: Median usual weekly earnings of full-time wage and salary workers by sex, quarterly averages, seasonally adjusted." July 24, 2014.
4. Data is sourced from full-time and salaried employees of TriNet's clients, which we refer to as worksite employees.
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev, a client-oriented software development company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex softw...
Mar. 26, 2017 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,682
Information technology (IT) advances are transforming the way we innovate in business, thereby disrupting the old guard and their predictable status-quo. It’s creating global market turbulence. Industries are converging, and new opportunities and threats are emerging, like never before. So, how are savvy chief information officers (CIOs) leading this transition? Back in 2015, the IBM Institute for Business Value conducted a market study that included the findings from over 1,800 CIO interviews ...
Mar. 26, 2017 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 5,149
Virtualization over the past years has become a key strategy for IT to acquire multi-tenancy, increase utilization, develop elasticity and improve security. And virtual machines (VMs) are quickly becoming a main vehicle for developing and deploying applications. The introduction of containers seems to be bringing another and perhaps overlapped solution for achieving the same above-mentioned benefits. Are a container and a virtual machine fundamentally the same or different? And how? Is one techn...
Mar. 26, 2017 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,870
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm.
Mar. 26, 2017 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,833
What sort of WebRTC based applications can we expect to see over the next year and beyond? One way to predict development trends is to see what sorts of applications startups are building. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Arin Sime, founder of WebRTC.ventures, will discuss the current and likely future trends in WebRTC application development based on real requests for custom applications from real customers, as well as other public sources of information,
Mar. 26, 2017 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 710
As businesses adopt functionalities in cloud computing, it’s imperative that IT operations consistently ensure cloud systems work correctly – all of the time, and to their best capabilities. In his session at @BigDataExpo, Bernd Harzog, CEO and founder of OpsDataStore, will present an industry answer to the common question, “Are you running IT operations as efficiently and as cost effectively as you need to?” He will expound on the industry issues he frequently came up against as an analyst, and...
Mar. 26, 2017 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,103
Keeping pace with advancements in software delivery processes and tooling is taxing even for the most proficient organizations. Point tools, platforms, open source and the increasing adoption of private and public cloud services requires strong engineering rigor - all in the face of developer demands to use the tools of choice. As Agile has settled in as a mainstream practice, now DevOps has emerged as the next wave to improve software delivery speed and output. To make DevOps work, organization...
Mar. 26, 2017 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,689
ChatOps is an emerging topic that has led to the wide availability of integrations between group chat and various other tools/platforms. Currently, HipChat is an extremely powerful collaboration platform due to the various ChatOps integrations that are available. However, DevOps automation can involve orchestration and complex workflows. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Himanshu Chhetri, CTO at Addteq, will cover practical examples and use cases such as self-provisioning infra...
Mar. 25, 2017 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,913
The financial services market is one of the most data-driven industries in the world, yet it’s bogged down by legacy CPU technologies that simply can’t keep up with the task of querying and visualizing billions of records. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Jared Parker, Director of Financial Services at Kinetica, will discuss how the advent of advanced in-database analytics on the GPU makes it possible to run sophisticated data science workloads on the same database that is housing the rich inf...
Mar. 25, 2017 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,616
For organizations that have amassed large sums of software complexity, taking a microservices approach is the first step toward DevOps and continuous improvement / development. Integrating system-level analysis with microservices makes it easier to change and add functionality to applications at any time without the increase of risk. Before you start big transformation projects or a cloud migration, make sure these changes won’t take down your entire organization.
Mar. 25, 2017 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,557
Apache Hadoop is emerging as a distributed platform for handling large and fast incoming streams of data. Predictive maintenance, supply chain optimization, and Internet-of-Things analysis are examples where Hadoop provides the scalable storage, processing, and analytics platform to gain meaningful insights from granular data that is typically only valuable from a large-scale, aggregate view. One architecture useful for capturing and analyzing streaming data is the Lambda Architecture, represent...
Mar. 25, 2017 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 5,975
My team embarked on building a data lake for our sales and marketing data to better understand customer journeys. This required building a hybrid data pipeline to connect our cloud CRM with the new Hadoop Data Lake. One challenge is that IT was not in a position to provide support until we proved value and marketing did not have the experience, so we embarked on the journey ourselves within the product marketing team for our line of business within Progress. In his session at @BigDataExpo, Sum...
Mar. 25, 2017 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,759
Things are changing so quickly in IoT that it would take a wizard to predict which ecosystem will gain the most traction. In order for IoT to reach its potential, smart devices must be able to work together. Today, there are a slew of interoperability standards being promoted by big names to make this happen: HomeKit, Brillo and Alljoyn. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Adam Justice, vice president and general manager of Grid Connect, will review what happens when smart devices don’t work togethe...
Mar. 25, 2017 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,562
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ocean9will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ocean9 provides cloud services for Backup, Disaster Recovery (DRaaS) and instant Innovation, and redefines enterprise infrastructure with its cloud native subscription offerings for mission critical SAP workloads.
Mar. 25, 2017 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,935
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Lachapelle, CEO of the Professional Evaluation and Certification Board (PECB), will provide an overview of various initiatives to certifiy the security of connected devices and future trends in ensuring public trust of IoT. Eric Lachapelle is the Chief Executive Officer of the Professional Evaluation and Certification Board (PECB), an international certification body. His role is to help companies and individuals to achieve professional, accredited and worldw...
Mar. 25, 2017 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 511