News Feed Item
TriNet SMBeat Report Shows Salary Discrepancies Between Men and Women
|By PR Newswire
|August 13, 2014 09:01 AM EDT
SAN LEANDRO, California, August 13, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
July report reveals salary differences in the United States
TriNet (NYSE: TNET), a leading cloud-based provider of HR services, today announced the findings of its July 2014 issue of TriNet SMBeat, a monthly analysis of small to medium-sized business (SMB) employment and human capital economic indicators. July's SMBeat features an analysis of specific gender trends in salaries and workforce composition across different industries in the United States. Among other findings, the report highlights that during the first quarter of 2014, women on average earned 83 cents for every dollar a man earned.
(Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20140813/135763 )
Over the past century, the United States has enacted legislation requiring workers to be paid equal amounts for equal work, regardless of gender and race. And just this year, President Obama signed a Presidential Memorandum instructing the Secretary of Labor to establish new regulations requiring federal contractors to disclose compensation data by race and sex to the Department of Labor. It is expected this data will enable the Department of Labor to encourage compliance with equal pay laws and target enforcement more effectively. Despite these efforts, there is still a significant earnings gap between men and women in the United States.
Below are key findings of the July 2014 TriNet SMBeat Report. The data is sourced from TriNet's over 9,000 clients and more than 258,000 worksite employees in the U.S and the Bureau of Labor Statistics:
- On average, the annual salary in 2014 for workers across all industries in the United States was found to be $45,084 for men and $37,232 for women, amounting to an 83% salary gap.
- When looking at the variation across executive level employees, the median base salary gap was 85%. Men in these positions made median base salaries of $175,000 while women make $148,980. Though, men held 85% of these executive jobs.
- For the financial services industry specifically, men earn median base salaries of $90,964, while women earned just $50,000. However, there was a more balanced ratio of men to women in this sector, with 57% men and 43% women. The financial services sector had the largest gender salary gap for executives, with women earning 69% of men's median base salary, or $175,000 compared to $120,000.
- Breaking financial services salaries down by region, women earned 71% of what men earned in Los Angeles, $50,648 median base salary compared to $71,512 respectively. In New York and the San Francisco Bay area, the finance sector showed an even larger gap as women earned 62% of what men make.
- In the tech sector, the median salary gap was 67%. Men earned a median $105,000 and women earned $70,000 in annual base salary. The tech sector executives had the most equitable base salary across all verticals. Female tech executives earned $164,008 compared to $169,173 for men.
- By region, New York was the most equitable of the major cities considered in the report, with women representing 33% of the workforce with a salary gap of 70%.
- In the San Francisco Bay Area, women in tech earned higher median base salaries than women in the other cities, with average wages of $84,131.
In addition to the findings on the salary gap, below are the key findings on economic employment indicators across TriNet's clients in July:
- Net job growth overall moved to 2.11%, increasing from June's growth of 2.04%.
- The technology sector saw 3.52% net growth, up from last month's growth of 3.24%. The Atlanta Metro Area led the tech sector with 5.89% net job growth, surpassing Los Angeles, New York, Denver-Boulder, Silicon Valley and Boston area.
- The financial services sector has been steadily growing this year, but July's growth of 1.06% was slower than in previous months. The New York Metro Area led this vertical with 1.34% net job growth in July. The Dallas-Fort Worth and the Los Angeles Metro Areas also grew though not as strongly as New York, with 0.45% and 0.30%, respectively.
For additional details and to receive monthly SMBeat alerts, visit TriNet.com/smbeat.
For more information on TriNet, follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and Facebook.
TriNet is a leading provider of a comprehensive human resources solution for small to medium-sized businesses, or SMBs. We enhance business productivity by enabling our clients to outsource their human resources, or HR, function to one strategic partner and allowing them to focus on operating and growing their core businesses. Our HR solution includes services such as payroll processing, human capital consulting, employment law compliance and employee benefits, including health insurance, retirement plans and workers compensation insurance. Our services are delivered by our expert team of HR professionals and enabled by our proprietary, cloud-based technology platform, which allows our clients and their employees to efficiently conduct their HR transactions anytime and anywhere. For more information, please visit http://www.trinet.com.
TriNet, Ambitions Realized and the TriNet logo are registered trademarks of TriNet. All other trademarks, service marks, registered trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of their respective owners.
1. Fact Sheet: Expanding Opportunity for All: Ensuring Equal Pay for Women and Promoting the Women's Economic Agenda. The White House Office of the Press Secretary April 8, 2014.
2. As of June 30, 2014. Data is sourced from full-time and salaried employees of TriNet's clients, which we refer to as worksite employees.
3. The Bureau of Labor Statistics, "Economic News Release, Table 1: Median usual weekly earnings of full-time wage and salary workers by sex, quarterly averages, seasonally adjusted." July 24, 2014.
4. Data is sourced from full-time and salaried employees of TriNet's clients, which we refer to as worksite employees.
Data is an unusual currency; it is not restricted by the same transactional limitations as money or people. In fact, the more that you leverage your data across multiple business use cases, the more valuable it becomes to the organization. And the same can be said about the organization’s analytics.
In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bill Schmarzo, CTO for the Big Data Practice at EMC, will introduce a methodology for capturing, enriching and sharing data (and analytics) across the organizati...
Sep. 24, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,595
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world.
The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Sep. 24, 2016 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,317
I'm a lonely sensor. I spend all day telling the world how I'm feeling, but none of the other sensors seem to care.
I want to be connected. I want to build relationships with other sensors to be more useful for my human. I want my human to understand that when my friends next door are too hot for a while, I'll soon be flaming. And when all my friends go outside without me, I may be left behind.
Don't just log my data; use the relationship graph.
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ryan Boyd, Engi...
Sep. 24, 2016 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,193
SYS-CON Events announced today that Secure Channels will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
The bedrock of Secure Channels Technology is a uniquely modified and enhanced process based on superencipherment. Superencipherment is the process of encrypting an already encrypted message one or more times, either using the same or a different algorithm.
Sep. 24, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,413
The vision of a connected smart home is becoming reality with the application of integrated wireless technologies in devices and appliances. The use of standardized and TCP/IP networked wireless technologies in line-powered and battery operated sensors and controls has led to the adoption of radios in the 2.4GHz band, including Wi-Fi, BT/BLE and 802.15.4 applied ZigBee and Thread. This is driving the need for robust wireless coexistence for multiple radios to ensure throughput performance and th...
Sep. 24, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,434
The Internet of Things can drive efficiency for airlines and airports.
In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Sudip Majumder, senior director of development at Oracle, will discuss the technical details of the connected airline baggage and related social media solutions. These IoT applications will enhance travelers' journey experience and drive efficiency for the airlines and the airports.
The session will include a working demo and a technical d...
Sep. 24, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,645
SYS-CON Events announced today the Enterprise IoT Bootcamp, being held November 1-2, 2016, in conjunction with 19th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the Enterprise IoT Bootcamp is not just based on presentations but with hands-on demos and detailed walkthroughs. We will introduce you to a variety of real world use cases prototyped using Arduino, Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, Spark, and Intel Edison. Y...
Sep. 24, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,782
Fact is, enterprises have significant legacy voice infrastructure that’s costly to replace with pure IP solutions. How can we bring this analog infrastructure into our shiny new cloud applications? There are proven methods to bind both legacy voice applications and traditional PSTN audio into cloud-based applications and services at a carrier scale. Some of the most successful implementations leverage WebRTC, WebSockets, SIP and other open source technologies.
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Da...
Sep. 24, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,471
If you’re responsible for an application that depends on the data or functionality of various IoT endpoints – either sensors or devices – your brand reputation depends on the security, reliability, and compliance of its many integrated parts. If your application fails to deliver the expected business results, your customers and partners won't care if that failure stems from the code you developed or from a component that you integrated. What can you do to ensure that the endpoints work as expect...
Sep. 24, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,504
Traditional on-premises data centers have long been the domain of modern data platforms like Apache Hadoop, meaning companies who build their business on public cloud were challenged to run Big Data processing and analytics at scale. But recent advancements in Hadoop performance, security, and most importantly cloud-native integrations, are giving organizations the ability to truly gain value from all their data.
In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, David Tishgart, Director of Product Marketing ...
Sep. 24, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,698
While DevOps promises a better and tighter integration among an organization’s development and operation teams and transforms an application life cycle into a continual deployment, Chef and Azure together provides a speedy, cost-effective and highly scalable vehicle for realizing the business values of this transformation.
In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Yung Chou, a Technology Evangelist at Microsoft, will present a unique opportunity to witness how Chef and Azure work tog...
Sep. 24, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,549
Information technology is an industry that has always experienced change, and the dramatic change sweeping across the industry today could not be truthfully described as the first time we've seen such widespread change impacting customer investments. However, the rate of the change, and the potential outcomes from today's digital transformation has the distinct potential to separate the industry into two camps: Organizations that see the change coming, embrace it, and successful leverage it; and...
Sep. 24, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,023
SYS-CON Events announced today that China Unicom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
China United Network Communications Group Co. Ltd ("China Unicom") was officially established in 2009 on the basis of the merger of former China Netcom and former China Unicom.
China Unicom mainly operates a full range of telecommunications services including mobile broadband (GSM, WCDMA, LTE F...
Sep. 24, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,674
Enterprise IT has been in the era of Hybrid Cloud for some time now. But it seems most conversations about Hybrid are focused on integrating AWS, Microsoft Azure, or Google ECM into existing on-premises systems. Where is all the Private Cloud? What do technology providers need to do to make their offerings more compelling? How should enterprise IT executives and buyers define their focus, needs, and roadmap, and communicate that clearly to the providers?
Sep. 24, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,483
The Transparent Cloud-computing Consortium (abbreviation: T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data processing High speed and high quality networks, and dramatic improvements in computer processing capabilities, have greatly changed the nature of applications and made the storing and processing of data on the network commonplace.
Sep. 24, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 754