News Feed Item
TriNet SMBeat Report Shows Salary Discrepancies Between Men and Women
|By PR Newswire
|August 13, 2014 09:01 AM EDT
SAN LEANDRO, California, August 13, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
July report reveals salary differences in the United States
TriNet (NYSE: TNET), a leading cloud-based provider of HR services, today announced the findings of its July 2014 issue of TriNet SMBeat, a monthly analysis of small to medium-sized business (SMB) employment and human capital economic indicators. July's SMBeat features an analysis of specific gender trends in salaries and workforce composition across different industries in the United States. Among other findings, the report highlights that during the first quarter of 2014, women on average earned 83 cents for every dollar a man earned.
(Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20140813/135763 )
Over the past century, the United States has enacted legislation requiring workers to be paid equal amounts for equal work, regardless of gender and race. And just this year, President Obama signed a Presidential Memorandum instructing the Secretary of Labor to establish new regulations requiring federal contractors to disclose compensation data by race and sex to the Department of Labor. It is expected this data will enable the Department of Labor to encourage compliance with equal pay laws and target enforcement more effectively. Despite these efforts, there is still a significant earnings gap between men and women in the United States.
Below are key findings of the July 2014 TriNet SMBeat Report. The data is sourced from TriNet's over 9,000 clients and more than 258,000 worksite employees in the U.S and the Bureau of Labor Statistics:
- On average, the annual salary in 2014 for workers across all industries in the United States was found to be $45,084 for men and $37,232 for women, amounting to an 83% salary gap.
- When looking at the variation across executive level employees, the median base salary gap was 85%. Men in these positions made median base salaries of $175,000 while women make $148,980. Though, men held 85% of these executive jobs.
- For the financial services industry specifically, men earn median base salaries of $90,964, while women earned just $50,000. However, there was a more balanced ratio of men to women in this sector, with 57% men and 43% women. The financial services sector had the largest gender salary gap for executives, with women earning 69% of men's median base salary, or $175,000 compared to $120,000.
- Breaking financial services salaries down by region, women earned 71% of what men earned in Los Angeles, $50,648 median base salary compared to $71,512 respectively. In New York and the San Francisco Bay area, the finance sector showed an even larger gap as women earned 62% of what men make.
- In the tech sector, the median salary gap was 67%. Men earned a median $105,000 and women earned $70,000 in annual base salary. The tech sector executives had the most equitable base salary across all verticals. Female tech executives earned $164,008 compared to $169,173 for men.
- By region, New York was the most equitable of the major cities considered in the report, with women representing 33% of the workforce with a salary gap of 70%.
- In the San Francisco Bay Area, women in tech earned higher median base salaries than women in the other cities, with average wages of $84,131.
In addition to the findings on the salary gap, below are the key findings on economic employment indicators across TriNet's clients in July:
- Net job growth overall moved to 2.11%, increasing from June's growth of 2.04%.
- The technology sector saw 3.52% net growth, up from last month's growth of 3.24%. The Atlanta Metro Area led the tech sector with 5.89% net job growth, surpassing Los Angeles, New York, Denver-Boulder, Silicon Valley and Boston area.
- The financial services sector has been steadily growing this year, but July's growth of 1.06% was slower than in previous months. The New York Metro Area led this vertical with 1.34% net job growth in July. The Dallas-Fort Worth and the Los Angeles Metro Areas also grew though not as strongly as New York, with 0.45% and 0.30%, respectively.
For additional details and to receive monthly SMBeat alerts, visit TriNet.com/smbeat.
For more information on TriNet, follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and Facebook.
TriNet is a leading provider of a comprehensive human resources solution for small to medium-sized businesses, or SMBs. We enhance business productivity by enabling our clients to outsource their human resources, or HR, function to one strategic partner and allowing them to focus on operating and growing their core businesses. Our HR solution includes services such as payroll processing, human capital consulting, employment law compliance and employee benefits, including health insurance, retirement plans and workers compensation insurance. Our services are delivered by our expert team of HR professionals and enabled by our proprietary, cloud-based technology platform, which allows our clients and their employees to efficiently conduct their HR transactions anytime and anywhere. For more information, please visit http://www.trinet.com.
TriNet, Ambitions Realized and the TriNet logo are registered trademarks of TriNet. All other trademarks, service marks, registered trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of their respective owners.
1. Fact Sheet: Expanding Opportunity for All: Ensuring Equal Pay for Women and Promoting the Women's Economic Agenda. The White House Office of the Press Secretary April 8, 2014.
2. As of June 30, 2014. Data is sourced from full-time and salaried employees of TriNet's clients, which we refer to as worksite employees.
3. The Bureau of Labor Statistics, "Economic News Release, Table 1: Median usual weekly earnings of full-time wage and salary workers by sex, quarterly averages, seasonally adjusted." July 24, 2014.
4. Data is sourced from full-time and salaried employees of TriNet's clients, which we refer to as worksite employees.
Most companies are adopting or evaluating container technology - Docker in particular - to speed up application deployment, drive down cost, ease management and make application delivery more flexible overall. As with most new architectures, this dream takes a lot of work to become a reality. Even when you do get your application componentized enough and packaged properly, there are still challenges for DevOps teams to making the shift to continuous delivery and achieving that reduction in cost ...
Apr. 23, 2017 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,564
The explosion of new web/cloud/IoT-based applications and the data they generate are transforming our world right before our eyes. In this rush to adopt these new technologies, organizations are often ignoring fundamental questions concerning who owns the data and failing to ask for permission to conduct invasive surveillance of their customers. Organizations that are not transparent about how their systems gather data telemetry without offering shared data ownership risk product rejection, regu...
Apr. 23, 2017 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 743
Translating agile methodology into real-world best practices within the modern software factory has driven widespread DevOps adoption, yet much work remains to expand workflows and tooling across the enterprise. As models evolve from pockets of experimentation into wholescale organizational reinvention, practitioners find themselves challenged to incorporate the culture and architecture necessary to support DevOps at scale. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Anand Akela, Senior...
Apr. 23, 2017 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,439
In his keynote at 19th Cloud Expo, Sheng Liang, co-founder and CEO of Rancher Labs, discussed the technological advances and new business opportunities created by the rapid adoption of containers. With the success of Amazon Web Services (AWS) and various open source technologies used to build private clouds, cloud computing has become an essential component of IT strategy. However, users continue to face challenges in implementing clouds, as older technologies evolve and newer ones like Docker c...
Apr. 23, 2017 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,402
SYS-CON Events announced today that Twistlock, the leading provider of cloud container security solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Twistlock is the industry's first enterprise security suite for container security. Twistlock's technology addresses risks on the host and within the application of the container, enabling enterprises to consistently enforce security policies, monitor...
Apr. 23, 2017 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,257
The Internet of Things is clearly many things: data collection and analytics, wearables, Smart Grids and Smart Cities, the Industrial Internet, and more. Cool platforms like Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Intel's Galileo and Edison, and a diverse world of sensors are making the IoT a great toy box for developers in all these areas. In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists discussed what things are the most important, which will have the most profound e...
Apr. 23, 2017 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,890
Automation is enabling enterprises to design, deploy, and manage more complex, hybrid cloud environments. Yet the people who manage these environments must be trained in and understanding these environments better than ever before. A new era of analytics and cognitive computing is adding intelligence, but also more complexity, to these cloud environments. How smart is your cloud? How smart should it be?
In this power panel at 20th Cloud Expo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, pane...
Apr. 23, 2017 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,810
The goal of Continuous Testing is to shift testing left to find defects earlier and release software faster. This can be achieved by integrating a set of open source functional and performance testing tools in the early stages of your software delivery lifecycle.
There is one process that binds all application delivery stages together into one well-orchestrated machine: Continuous Testing. Continuous Testing is the conveyor belt between the Software Factory and production stages. Artifacts are ...
Apr. 23, 2017 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 742
Blockchain is a shared, secure record of exchange that establishes trust, accountability and transparency across supply chain networks. Supported by the Linux Foundation's open source, open-standards based Hyperledger Project, Blockchain has the potential to improve regulatory compliance, reduce cost and time for product recall as well as advance trade. Are you curious about Blockchain and how it can provide you with new opportunities for innovation and growth?
In her session at 20th Cloud Exp...
Apr. 23, 2017 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,366
@ThingsExpo has been named the Most Influential ‘Smart Cities - IIoT' Account and @BigDataExpo has been named fourteenth by Right Relevance (RR), which provides curated information and intelligence on approximately 50,000 topics. In addition, Right Relevance provides an Insights offering that combines the above Topics and Influencers information with real time conversations to provide actionable intelligence with visualizations to enable decision making. The Insights service is applicable to eve...
Apr. 23, 2017 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,330
SYS-CON Events announced today that Grape Up will exhibit at SYS-CON's 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on Oct. 31 – Nov 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Grape Up is a software company specializing in cloud native application development and professional services related to Cloud Foundry PaaS. With five expert teams that operate in various sectors of the market across the U.S. and Europe, Grape Up works with a variety of customers from emergi...
Apr. 23, 2017 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,562
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitachi, the leading provider the Internet of Things and Digital Transformation, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Hitachi Data Systems, a wholly owned subsidiary of Hitachi, Ltd., offers an integrated portfolio of services and solutions that enable digital transformation through enhanced data management, governance, mobility and analytics. We help globa...
Apr. 23, 2017 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,781
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Apr. 23, 2017 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 4,666
Developers want to create better apps faster. Static clouds are giving way to scalable systems, with dynamic resource allocation and application monitoring. You won't hear that chant from users on any picket line, but helping developers to create better apps faster is the mission of Lee Atchison, principal cloud architect and advocate at New Relic Inc., based in San Francisco. His singular job is to understand and drive the industry in the areas of cloud architecture, microservices, scalability ...
Apr. 23, 2017 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,160
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named "Platinum Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and 21st International Cloud Expo, which will take place in November in Silicon Valley, California.
Apr. 23, 2017 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,917