|By PR Newswire||
|August 13, 2014 10:00 AM EDT||
BURLINGTON, Mass., Aug. 13, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Decision Resources Group finds that in the unipolar depression* market, the expanding use of two recently approved therapies—Lundbeck/Takeda Pharmaceutical's Brintellix (vortioxetine), Actavis (formerly Forest Laboratories)/Pierre Fabre's Fetzima (levomilnacipran ER)—together with the forecasted launch of Otsuka Pharmaceutical/Lundbeck's brexpiprazole in the major pharmaceutical markets (United States, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom and Japan) will offset a steep near-term decline in sales resulting from the loss of market exclusivity for the two key drugs prescribed for unipolar depression—duloxetine (Eli Lilly/Shionogi's Cymbalta/Xeristar, generics) and the atypical antipsychotic Abilify (Bristol-Myers Squibb/Otsuka Pharmaceutical's aripiprazole). By 2023, total major-market sales for unipolar depression will reach under $10 billion.
Other key findings from the Pharmacor report entitled Unipolar Depression:
- Later-line treatments: Newer antidepressant therapies will be prescribed as third- and fourth-line treatment for patients whose depressive symptoms are inadequately addressed by generic selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and/or serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs), or for patients who cannot tolerate available therapies.
- Use of atypical antipsychotics: In the absence of more-efficacious alternatives, use of atypical antipsychotics as adjunctive treatment in patients with a poor response to antidepressants will continue to grow; in particular, the launch of generic aripiprazole during the study period will drive greater use of this drug in this capacity.
- Brintellix use in treatment non-responders: Brintellix, supported by extensive clinical trial data in depression, will experience modest uptake during the forecast period as a later line alternative in treatment non-responders. Studies have shown that Brintellix may confer improvements in cognition—a significant advantage over other antidepressants—and offers a low risk of weight-gain and sexual dysfunction. Even as a later-line option, Brintellix's relatively high price will drive its major-market peak-year sales to more than $2.4 billion in 2022.
- Remaining opportunity for novel agents: Despite extensive generic availability of early-line antidepressants and increasingly restrictive reimbursement environments across the markets under study, opportunity remains for novel antidepressants because a sizable proportion of the drug-treated population responds suboptimally to available monoaminergic-targeted drugs.
Comments from Decision Resources Group Analyst Alana K. Simorellis, Ph.D.:
- "The launch of generic versions of two key therapies—duloxetine and Abilify—will not only result in a dramatic near-term drop in sales due to extensive and rapid uptake of generics but also create market access pressures for newer agents launching in these drug classes: Fetzima and brexpiprazole, respectively."
- "Treatment-resistant depression—that is, major depressive disorder that does not respond to at least two adequate courses of antidepressant therapy—has and will continue to be the area of greatest unmet need in the treatment of depression over the next ten years. An agent proven to be more effective than current agents in treatment-resistant patients would be welcomed by physicians and would likely be used as part of combination therapy."
*Unipolar depression encompasses major depressive disorder, minor depression and dysthymia.
About Decision Resources Group
Decision Resources Group is a cohesive portfolio of companies that offers best-in-class, high-value information and insights on important sectors of the healthcare industry. Clients rely on this analysis and data to make informed decisions. Please visit Decision Resources Group at www.DecisionResourcesGroup.com.
All company, brand, or product names contained in this document may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
For more information, contact:
Decision Resources Group
SOURCE Decision Resources Group
WebRTC sits at the intersection between VoIP and the Web. As such, it poses some interesting challenges for those developing services on top of it, but also for those who need to test and monitor these services. In his session at WebRTC Summit, Tsahi Levent-Levi, co-founder of testRTC, reviewed the various challenges posed by WebRTC when it comes to testing and monitoring and on ways to overcome them.
Jan. 20, 2017 10:45 AM EST Reads: 6,068
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. @ThingsExpo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Jan. 20, 2017 10:45 AM EST Reads: 3,688
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Jan. 20, 2017 09:45 AM EST Reads: 2,911
"This week we're really focusing on scalability, asset preservation and how do you back up to the cloud and in the cloud with object storage, which is really a new way of attacking dealing with your file, your blocked data, where you put it and how you access it," stated Jeff Greenwald, Senior Director of Market Development at HGST, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 20, 2017 09:45 AM EST Reads: 5,498
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint Systems, Inc., a provider of innovative web and infrastructure monitoring solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit at 18th Cloud Expo New York, which will take place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Catchpoint is a leading Digital Performance Analytics company that provides unparalleled insight into customer-critical services to help consistently deliver an amazing customer experience. Designed ...
Jan. 20, 2017 09:15 AM EST Reads: 6,379
WebRTC services have already permeated corporate communications in the form of videoconferencing solutions. However, WebRTC has the potential of going beyond and catalyzing a new class of services providing more than calls with capabilities such as mass-scale real-time media broadcasting, enriched and augmented video, person-to-machine and machine-to-machine communications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Luis Lopez, CEO of Kurento, introduced the technologies required for implementing these idea...
Jan. 20, 2017 08:30 AM EST Reads: 4,739
"A lot of times people will come to us and have a very diverse set of requirements or very customized need and we'll help them to implement it in a fashion that you can't just buy off of the shelf," explained Nick Rose, CTO of Enzu, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 20, 2017 08:15 AM EST Reads: 4,704
Buzzword alert: Microservices and IoT at a DevOps conference? What could possibly go wrong? In this Power Panel at DevOps Summit, moderated by Jason Bloomberg, the leading expert on architecting agility for the enterprise and president of Intellyx, panelists peeled away the buzz and discuss the important architectural principles behind implementing IoT solutions for the enterprise. As remote IoT devices and sensors become increasingly intelligent, they become part of our distributed cloud enviro...
Jan. 20, 2017 08:15 AM EST Reads: 4,926
Containers have changed the mind of IT in DevOps. They enable developers to work with dev, test, stage and production environments identically. Containers provide the right abstraction for microservices and many cloud platforms have integrated them into deployment pipelines. DevOps and containers together help companies achieve their business goals faster and more effectively. In his session at DevOps Summit, Ruslan Synytsky, CEO and Co-founder of Jelastic, reviewed the current landscape of Dev...
Jan. 20, 2017 08:00 AM EST Reads: 4,261
The WebRTC Summit New York, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 20th International Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo. WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web co...
Jan. 20, 2017 07:15 AM EST Reads: 2,970
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Jan. 20, 2017 07:00 AM EST Reads: 6,863
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Jan. 20, 2017 07:00 AM EST Reads: 9,072
"Plutora provides release and testing environment capabilities to the enterprise," explained Dalibor Siroky, Director and Co-founder of Plutora, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jan. 20, 2017 06:15 AM EST Reads: 3,646
DevOps tends to focus on the relationship between Dev and Ops, putting an emphasis on the ops and application infrastructure. But that’s changing with microservices architectures. In her session at DevOps Summit, Lori MacVittie, Evangelist for F5 Networks, will focus on how microservices are changing the underlying architectures needed to scale, secure and deliver applications based on highly distributed (micro) services and why that means an expansion into “the network” for DevOps.
Jan. 20, 2017 06:15 AM EST Reads: 5,505
SYS-CON Events announced today that Enzu will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Enzu’s mission is to be the leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions worldwide. Enzu enables online businesses to use its IT infrastructure to their competitive ad...
Jan. 20, 2017 06:15 AM EST Reads: 1,625