|By Marketwired .||
|August 13, 2014 02:09 PM EDT||
TORONTO, ON -- (Marketwired) -- 08/13/14 -- Have you ever wondered what it's like on the other side of the business and first class curtain? The VIP treatment, the free-flowing drinks, gourmet meals/fine dining, the comfy seats or, better yet, beds. Ahhhh... the good life. And what about those secret perks in the complimentary "amenity kits" -- your own personal in-flight "swag" bag? The travel experts at Cheapflights.ca, the online leader in finding and publishing travel deals, have gotten their hands on and reviewed first and business class amenity kits from 27 airlines around the world. Now you can get the inside scoop on what's inside these bags; what makes them special; who would love them most and how Cheapflights rates them from one star (taxiing) to six stars (fly me to the moon).
"For many of us, First Class and Business Class are a mysterious place and we wanted to get a better idea of what life is like in that rarefied space. The kits are glorious examples of life's 'finer things' and a peek into a lifestyle that maybe, on a special occasion, we can achieve as well," said Oonagh Shiel, Cheapflights editor, travel expert and leader of the First Class kits review team. "After examining all these kits, though, we were struck mostly by the attention to detail and the touches of local cultures and craftsmanship that are a reminder of how diverse the world is and how exciting travel can be."
Part Hollywood A-list swag bag and part practical travel accessory, amenity kits are where airlines roll out the red carpet for their elite customers. Of the 27 airlines reviewed, which ranged from airberlin to QANTAS to Virgin Atlantic, only five had kits that earned the highest rating of six stars = fly me to the moon. Below is a brief glimpse into these four luxury amenity kits:
- EMIRATES - Emirates is the world of the private suite and the deluxe spa experience (in the Emirates A380 that is...). Its travel kit is outstanding, dark brown leather (ever so slightly distressed), designed by Bulgari and filled with a mix of high-end (Bulgari) and practical (Gillette and Colgate) items. It's branded very discreetly.
- Best bit of kit? It's got to be the leather bag. Soft, ever so slightly distressed, like the wash bag your grandfather used at boarding school.
- Best for? Elite sportsmen and businesspeople who may not have been born with a silver spoon in their mouths but who would like to appear as if they had.
- UNITED AIRLINES - United Global First - This kit comes in the United's navy-blue colour classic cosmetic bag and is filled with an array of products. United Business First - Packed in a patterned grey wash bag with a mesh back is a range of products ensuring passengers' wellness during the Business First flight.
- Best bit of kit? The "value". Between the dental-hygiene products and the skincare products we could survive for a week on this kit.
- Best for? Social-media millionaires with a short attention span.
- QATAR AIRWAYS - Qatar Airways has grown from being a small, regional carrier to a globe-girdling airline, a regular in the Skytrax World Airline Awards (Airline of the Year in 2011 and 2012 and winner of Best Business Class this year). Qatar has a young fleet of aircraft and has set the bar stratospherically high with its faultless service and first-rate cabins. There's nothing as prosaic as toothbrushes, toothpaste or razors in Qatar's kits. Instead, you'll find everything you need in the on-board toilets. Junior flyers are not forgotten with Spongebob backpacks, colouring books and a soft toy that can be popped under a tired little head.
- Best bit of kit? The ultra-luxe Dior and Ferragamo products.
- Best for? Globe-trotting moguls and thought leaders.
- JAPAN AIRLINES - Japan Airlines recently unveiled their new travel kits. There are two for First-Class flyers. One for flights out of Japan -- a beige canvas one for spring and summer, a brown one for autumn and winter flights -- and the other returning to Japan -- luxe corduroy in camel for spring and summer, and moss green for autumn and winter. This is the Japanese carrier's first collaboration with Loewe, the Spanish luxury brand that has been in business since 1846.
- Best bit of kit? The bags. Japan Airlines has thought of everything. They're beautifully engineered with an innovative zip / strap on the camel corduroy one and a hanger in the canvas bag. We're dying to see the moss-green corduroy bag. We'd book flights for it.
- Best for? High-net-worth creatives for whom form follows function.
- ETIHAD - There's an interesting story behind Etihad's limited-edition kits. The airline worked with Sougha (it means "a traveller's gift" in Arabic), a social enterprise initiative that's preserving the Emirati heritage and promoting local artisans, to produce their travel kits. The kits feature patterns of Sadou, an ancient, Abu Dhabi weaving craft, which evokes the romance of Bedouin tents.
- Best bit of kit? The bags, they're beautiful, elegant and earthy. They're helping local Emiratis. And they have a whiff of lavender about them which means you could use them as a pillow.
- Best for? Rich storytellers and novelists who like a rich back story. Admirers of companies that champion local traditions and heritage.
Amenity kits, you could say, are the icing on the proverbial cake, and every airline has its own recipe. To get the full inside scoop, check out the complete reviews and rankings (images too) of Cheapflights.ca's "Behind the curtain: Airline amenity kits unpacked" at www.cheapflights.ca/news/behind-curtain-airline-amenity-kits-unpacked.
About Cheapflights.ca, part of the Momondo Group
Momondo Group is an online travel media and technology company that is driven by the belief that an open world is a better world. The group now serves travel search and inspiration to over 17.5 million visitors a month -- plus 7 million travel newsletter subscribers -- via its Cheapflights (www.cheapflights.ca) and momondo (www.momondo.com) brands.
Skygate began the sourcing of complex air-travel data in 1992, while Cheapflights pioneered the online comparison of flight deals for users in 1996 and momondo launched meta-search in the Nordic countries in 2006.
The Group has offices in London, Copenhagen, Boston and Toronto, with a consumer base across more than 25 core international markets but users all over the world.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2657112
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2655142
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev, a client-oriented software development company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex softw...
Mar. 30, 2017 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,091
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm.
Mar. 30, 2017 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,615
What sort of WebRTC based applications can we expect to see over the next year and beyond? One way to predict development trends is to see what sorts of applications startups are building. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Arin Sime, founder of WebRTC.ventures, will discuss the current and likely future trends in WebRTC application development based on real requests for custom applications from real customers, as well as other public sources of information,
Mar. 30, 2017 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,214
DevOps tends to focus on the relationship between Dev and Ops, putting an emphasis on the ops and application infrastructure. But that’s changing with microservices architectures. In her session at DevOps Summit, Lori MacVittie, Evangelist for F5 Networks, will focus on how microservices are changing the underlying architectures needed to scale, secure and deliver applications based on highly distributed (micro) services and why that means an expansion into “the network” for DevOps.
Mar. 30, 2017 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 8,305
In his session at Cloud Expo, Alan Winters, an entertainment executive/TV producer turned serial entrepreneur, will present a success story of an entrepreneur who has both suffered through and benefited from offshore development across multiple businesses: The smart choice, or how to select the right offshore development partner Warning signs, or how to minimize chances of making the wrong choice Collaboration, or how to establish the most effective work processes Budget control, or how to max...
Mar. 30, 2017 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 657
Interoute has announced the integration of its Global Cloud Infrastructure platform with Rancher Labs’ container management platform, Rancher. This approach enables enterprises to accelerate their digital transformation and infrastructure investments. Matthew Finnie, Interoute CTO commented “Enterprises developing and building apps in the cloud and those on a path to Digital Transformation need Digital ICT Infrastructure that allows them to build, test and deploy faster than ever before. The int...
Mar. 30, 2017 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,524
China Unicom exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which took place at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, in November 2016. China United Network Communications Group Co. Ltd ("China Unicom") was officially established in 2009 on the basis of the merger of former China Netcom and former China Unicom. China Unicom mainly operates a full range of telecommunications services including mobile broadband (GSM, WCDMA, LTE FDD, TD-LTE), fixed-line broadband, ICT, data communica...
Mar. 30, 2017 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,565
ChatOps is an emerging topic that has led to the wide availability of integrations between group chat and various other tools/platforms. Currently, HipChat is an extremely powerful collaboration platform due to the various ChatOps integrations that are available. However, DevOps automation can involve orchestration and complex workflows. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Himanshu Chhetri, CTO at Addteq, will cover practical examples and use cases such as self-provisioning infra...
Mar. 29, 2017 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,219
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ocean9will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ocean9 provides cloud services for Backup, Disaster Recovery (DRaaS) and instant Innovation, and redefines enterprise infrastructure with its cloud native subscription offerings for mission critical SAP workloads.
Mar. 29, 2017 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,457
MongoDB Atlas leverages VPC peering for AWS, a service that allows multiple VPC networks to interact. This includes VPCs that belong to other AWS account holders. By performing cross account VPC peering, users ensure networks that host and communicate their data are secure. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Jay Gordon, a Developer Advocate at MongoDB, will explain how to properly architect your VPC using existing AWS tools and then peer with your MongoDB Atlas cluster. He'll discuss the secur...
Mar. 29, 2017 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 921
Things are changing so quickly in IoT that it would take a wizard to predict which ecosystem will gain the most traction. In order for IoT to reach its potential, smart devices must be able to work together. Today, there are a slew of interoperability standards being promoted by big names to make this happen: HomeKit, Brillo and Alljoyn. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Adam Justice, vice president and general manager of Grid Connect, will review what happens when smart devices don’t work togethe...
Mar. 29, 2017 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,763
Building a cross-cloud operational model can be a daunting task. Per-cloud silos are not the answer, but neither is a fully generic abstraction plane that strips out capabilities unique to a particular provider. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Wolf, VP & Chief Technology Officer, Global Field & Industry at VMware, will discuss how successful organizations approach cloud operations and management, with insights into where operations should be centralized and when it’s best to decentraliz...
Mar. 29, 2017 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,835
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Mar. 29, 2017 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,708
Deep learning has been very successful in social sciences and specially areas where there is a lot of data. Trading is another field that can be viewed as social science with a lot of data. With the advent of Deep Learning and Big Data technologies for efficient computation, we are finally able to use the same methods in investment management as we would in face recognition or in making chat-bots. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Gaurav Chakravorty, co-founder and Head of Strategy Development ...
Mar. 29, 2017 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,920
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm. In his Day 3 Keynote at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will explore t...
Mar. 29, 2017 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,248