|By Marketwired .||
|August 13, 2014 02:47 PM EDT||
BOSTON, MA -- (Marketwired) -- 08/13/14 -- The prospect of a long international flight changes quite a bit for the rich, powerful and lucky who are seated in the front section of the plane. The land of lie-flat beds and warm cookies may seem almost mystical or a bit mysterious to most travelers. However, Cheapflights.com, the online leader in finding and publishing travel deals, is shedding light on this VIP experience.
On many airlines around the world, First Class travel is a true A-lister moment. The seemingly royal treatment starts with an abbreviated security line and luxury departure lounge just for you and your fellow cabin-mates. And, as if a little champagne before take-off isn't enough, wait until you see your passenger goodie bag. Yes, goodie bag. It's like attending the Oscars, only with no commercial breaks!
These passenger "amenity" kits are where many airlines shine in creating a first-class experience. And the team at Cheapflights has done the legwork to get the inside scoop on what's inside the bags for 27 airlines from around the world, from airberlin to Virgin Atlantic. Our team is not only sharing the details but our take on what makes them special, who would appreciate them most and how they rank on a scale of 1 (taxiing) to 6 (fly me to the moon).
"There is so much to love about travel," said Melisse Hinkle, site editor at Cheapflights.com. "And there's even more to love, of course, if you're traveling First or Business Class. These kits show that some airlines make the worlds of travel and luxury come together in ways that drive us harder to hoard our miles, scratch our lottery tickets and generally plan for our dream trips."
Fuel your "dream trip" planning with a look inside the kits of five airlines that are taking off regularly from U.S. airports to far-flung destinations:
- Delta - This globe-trotting American airline carries 165 million passengers each year. It has an extensive set of alliances and, if you look at their travel kit (partnered with Tumi, the premium travel, business and lifestyle accessories brand, and Malin+Goetz, the skincare product brand), you'll see that it mirrors the airline's strong global presence.
- Best bit of kit? The functional packaging. The eye mask is wrapped in a red card saying "sleep." The hand wipe is labeled "clean," the ear plugs "quiet."
- Star rating? Five stars. This is a refreshing "does what it says on the tin" kit.
- Best for? Atlantic-hopping businesspeople who know the value of money and who like to switch off once they get on a flight.
- British Airways - The British flag carrier lets you hop to the U.K. and from there the world from well more than a dozen U.S. airports. And, along the way, it does a classy job with kits tailored for both men and women, highlighting the best in British design. Kits for both First Class and World Club come loaded with luxury products. The First Class kits come in soft-sides "washbags" while the World Club goodies come stashed neatly in an attractive drawstring bag that could easily be a laundry bag later on.
- Best bit of kit? The skincare products. But we're fond of the bags too.
- Star rating? Five stars. Dependable luxury never goes out of style.
- Best for? Upwardly mobile Britons, posh Americans, minor and major royals, supermodels, actors off to their next movie location.
- Emirates - Now connecting nine U.S. airports to Dubai (and one to Milan) and onward to Asia, Australia and Africa, Emirates is introducing Americans to the world of the private suite and the deluxe spa experience (in the Emirates A380 that is...). Its travel kit is outstanding, dark brown leather (ever so slightly distressed), designed by Bulgari and filled with a mix of high-end (Bulgari) and practical (Gillette and Colgate) items. It's branded very discreetly.
- Best bit of kit? It's got to be the leather bag. Soft, ever so slightly distressed, like the wash bag your grandfather used at Harvard.
- Star rating? We're giving it six stars -- fly us to the moon. It's a kit that says "I can afford not to worry about brands." Traditional and practical, classy but easy on the bling.
- Best for? Elite sportsmen and businesspeople who may not have been born with a silver spoon in their mouths but who would like to appear as if they had.
- JetBlue - For this airline, far-flung means California or New York. However, JetBlue has taken the game to the legacy airlines with its innovative premium-economy Mint class (including four single-seat suites with doors that close) and a snazzy tie-up with Birchbox, the "discovery commerce" company that sends you curated boxes of beauty and grooming products. Currently, Mint is available on the most popular air route in the USA (New York JFK to Los Angeles), but JetBlue plans to add Mint service on its New York to San Francisco flights at the end of October.
- Best bit of kit? The ever-changing nature of Birchbox. We got Liz Earle; next month who knows which high-end treatment will appear on your low-cost (ish) flight?
- Star rating? Four stars. High life.
- Best for? Hipster travelers who like a bit of "discovery commerce."
- Japan Airlines - This direct link to Tokyo and beyond serves 36 international destinations, including seven in the U.S. (eight when you count Guam), as well as 54 in Japan. And First Class passengers are being greeted with recently unveiled new travel kits. There are two for First-Class flyers. One for flights out of Japan - a beige canvas one for spring and summer, a brown one for autumn and winter flights - and the other returning to Japan - luxe corduroy in camel for spring and summer, and moss green for autumn and winter. This is the Japanese carrier's first collaboration with Loewe, the Spanish luxury brand that has been in business since 1846.
- Best bit of kit? The bags. Japan Airlines has thought of everything. They're beautifully engineered with an innovative zip / strap on the camel corduroy one and a hanger in the canvas bag. We're dying to see the moss-green corduroy bag. We'd book flights for it.
- Star rating? Six stars. Fly me to the moon. We expect cutting-edge design, function and a general "wow!" factor from the Japanese and these kits deliver it. In spades.
- Best for? High-net-worth creatives for whom form follows function.
To get the full inside scoop on these kits and to check out the complete reviews and rankings (images too) for all 27 airlines, visit Cheapflights.com's "Unveiled: The secret perks of flying first class" at www.cheapflights.com/news/unveiled-secret-perks-flying-first-class-airline-amenity-kits.
About Cheapflights.com, part of the Momondo Group
Momondo Group is an online travel media and technology company that is driven by the belief that an open world is a better world. The group now serves travel search and inspiration to over 17.5 million visitors a month -- plus 7 million travel newsletter subscribers -- via its Cheapflights (www.cheapflights.com) and momondo (www.momondo.com) brands.
Skygate began the sourcing of complex air-travel data in 1992, while Cheapflights pioneered the online comparison of flight deals for users in 1996 and momondo launched meta-search in the Nordic countries in 2006.
The Group has offices in London, Copenhagen, Boston and Toronto, with a consumer base across more than 25 core international markets but users all over the world.
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/cheapflights
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/cheapflights
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2657130
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2655113
Fortunately, meaningful and tangible business cases for IoT are plentiful in a broad array of industries and vertical markets. These range from simple warranty cost reduction for capital intensive assets, to minimizing downtime for vital business tools, to creating feedback loops improving product design, to improving and enhancing enterprise customer experiences. All of these business cases, which will be briefly explored in this session, hinge on cost effectively extracting relevant data from ...
Feb. 9, 2016 05:00 AM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pythian, a global IT services company specializing in helping companies adopt disruptive technologies to optimize revenue-generating systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Founded in 1997, Pythian is a global IT services company that helps companies compete by adopting disruptive technologies such as cloud, Big Data, advanced analytics, and DevO...
Feb. 9, 2016 04:45 AM EST Reads: 175
SYS-CON Events announced today that iDevices®, the preeminent brand in the connected home industry, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. iDevices, the preeminent brand in the connected home industry, has a growing line of HomeKit-enabled products available at the largest retailers worldwide. Through the “Designed with iDevices” co-development program and its custom-built IoT Cloud Infrastruc...
Feb. 9, 2016 04:45 AM EST
With an estimated 50 billion devices connected to the Internet by 2020, several industries will begin to expand their capabilities for retaining end point data at the edge to better utilize the range of data types and sheer volume of M2M data generated by the Internet of Things. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Don DeLoach, CEO and President of Infobright, will discuss the infrastructures businesses will need to implement to handle this explosion of data by providing specific use cases for filte...
Feb. 9, 2016 04:30 AM EST Reads: 136
SYS-CON Events announced today that VAI, a leading ERP software provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. VAI (Vormittag Associates, Inc.) is a leading independent mid-market ERP software developer renowned for its flexible solutions and ability to automate critical business functions for the distribution, manufacturing, specialty retail and service sectors. An IBM Premier Business Part...
Feb. 8, 2016 03:00 PM EST Reads: 579
In most cases, it is convenient to have some human interaction with a web (micro-)service, no matter how small it is. A traditional approach would be to create an HTTP interface, where user requests will be dispatched and HTML/CSS pages must be served. This approach is indeed very traditional for a web site, but not really convenient for a web service, which is not intended to be good looking, 24x7 up and running and UX-optimized. Instead, talking to a web service in a chat-bot mode would be muc...
Feb. 8, 2016 02:00 PM EST Reads: 218
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint Systems, Inc., a provider of innovative web and infrastructure monitoring solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit at 18th Cloud Expo New York, which will take place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Catchpoint is a leading Digital Performance Analytics company that provides unparalleled insight into customer-critical services to help consistently deliver an amazing customer experience. Designed...
Feb. 8, 2016 02:00 PM EST Reads: 347
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
Feb. 8, 2016 02:00 PM EST Reads: 381
More and more companies are looking to microservices as an architectural pattern for breaking apart applications into more manageable pieces so that agile teams can deliver new features quicker and more effectively. What this pattern has done more than anything to date is spark organizational transformations, setting the foundation for future application development. In practice, however, there are a number of considerations to make that go beyond simply “build, ship, and run,” which changes ho...
Feb. 8, 2016 01:30 PM EST Reads: 179
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 ad...
Feb. 8, 2016 12:45 PM EST Reads: 360
Advances in technology and ubiquitous connectivity have made the utilization of a dispersed workforce more common. Whether that remote team is located across the street or country, management styles/ approaches will have to be adjusted to accommodate this new dynamic. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Sagi Brody, Chief Technology Officer at Webair Internet Development Inc., focused on the challenges of managing remote teams, providing real-world examples that demonstrate what works and what do...
Feb. 8, 2016 12:30 PM EST Reads: 241
As enterprises work to take advantage of Big Data technologies, they frequently become distracted by product-level decisions. In most new Big Data builds this approach is completely counter-productive: it presupposes tools that may not be a fit for development teams, forces IT to take on the burden of evaluating and maintaining unfamiliar technology, and represents a major up-front expense. In his session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Andrew Warfield, CTO and Co-Founder of Coho Data, will dis...
Feb. 8, 2016 12:30 PM EST Reads: 148
SYS-CON Events announced today that Men & Mice, the leading global provider of DNS, DHCP and IP address management overlay solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The Men & Mice Suite overlay solution is already known for its powerful application in heterogeneous operating environments, enabling enterprises to scale without fuss. Building on a solid range of diverse platform support,...
Feb. 8, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 163
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
Feb. 8, 2016 10:45 AM EST Reads: 389
SYS-CON Events announced today that AppNeta, the leader in performance insight for business-critical web applications, will exhibit and present at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. AppNeta is the only application performance monitoring (APM) company to provide solutions for all applications – applications you develop internally, business-critical SaaS applications you use and the networks that deli...
Feb. 8, 2016 10:15 AM EST Reads: 369