|By Marketwired .||
|August 13, 2014 02:47 PM EDT||
BOSTON, MA -- (Marketwired) -- 08/13/14 -- The prospect of a long international flight changes quite a bit for the rich, powerful and lucky who are seated in the front section of the plane. The land of lie-flat beds and warm cookies may seem almost mystical or a bit mysterious to most travelers. However, Cheapflights.com, the online leader in finding and publishing travel deals, is shedding light on this VIP experience.
On many airlines around the world, First Class travel is a true A-lister moment. The seemingly royal treatment starts with an abbreviated security line and luxury departure lounge just for you and your fellow cabin-mates. And, as if a little champagne before take-off isn't enough, wait until you see your passenger goodie bag. Yes, goodie bag. It's like attending the Oscars, only with no commercial breaks!
These passenger "amenity" kits are where many airlines shine in creating a first-class experience. And the team at Cheapflights has done the legwork to get the inside scoop on what's inside the bags for 27 airlines from around the world, from airberlin to Virgin Atlantic. Our team is not only sharing the details but our take on what makes them special, who would appreciate them most and how they rank on a scale of 1 (taxiing) to 6 (fly me to the moon).
"There is so much to love about travel," said Melisse Hinkle, site editor at Cheapflights.com. "And there's even more to love, of course, if you're traveling First or Business Class. These kits show that some airlines make the worlds of travel and luxury come together in ways that drive us harder to hoard our miles, scratch our lottery tickets and generally plan for our dream trips."
Fuel your "dream trip" planning with a look inside the kits of five airlines that are taking off regularly from U.S. airports to far-flung destinations:
- Delta - This globe-trotting American airline carries 165 million passengers each year. It has an extensive set of alliances and, if you look at their travel kit (partnered with Tumi, the premium travel, business and lifestyle accessories brand, and Malin+Goetz, the skincare product brand), you'll see that it mirrors the airline's strong global presence.
- Best bit of kit? The functional packaging. The eye mask is wrapped in a red card saying "sleep." The hand wipe is labeled "clean," the ear plugs "quiet."
- Star rating? Five stars. This is a refreshing "does what it says on the tin" kit.
- Best for? Atlantic-hopping businesspeople who know the value of money and who like to switch off once they get on a flight.
- British Airways - The British flag carrier lets you hop to the U.K. and from there the world from well more than a dozen U.S. airports. And, along the way, it does a classy job with kits tailored for both men and women, highlighting the best in British design. Kits for both First Class and World Club come loaded with luxury products. The First Class kits come in soft-sides "washbags" while the World Club goodies come stashed neatly in an attractive drawstring bag that could easily be a laundry bag later on.
- Best bit of kit? The skincare products. But we're fond of the bags too.
- Star rating? Five stars. Dependable luxury never goes out of style.
- Best for? Upwardly mobile Britons, posh Americans, minor and major royals, supermodels, actors off to their next movie location.
- Emirates - Now connecting nine U.S. airports to Dubai (and one to Milan) and onward to Asia, Australia and Africa, Emirates is introducing Americans to the world of the private suite and the deluxe spa experience (in the Emirates A380 that is...). Its travel kit is outstanding, dark brown leather (ever so slightly distressed), designed by Bulgari and filled with a mix of high-end (Bulgari) and practical (Gillette and Colgate) items. It's branded very discreetly.
- Best bit of kit? It's got to be the leather bag. Soft, ever so slightly distressed, like the wash bag your grandfather used at Harvard.
- Star rating? We're giving it six stars -- fly us to the moon. It's a kit that says "I can afford not to worry about brands." Traditional and practical, classy but easy on the bling.
- Best for? Elite sportsmen and businesspeople who may not have been born with a silver spoon in their mouths but who would like to appear as if they had.
- JetBlue - For this airline, far-flung means California or New York. However, JetBlue has taken the game to the legacy airlines with its innovative premium-economy Mint class (including four single-seat suites with doors that close) and a snazzy tie-up with Birchbox, the "discovery commerce" company that sends you curated boxes of beauty and grooming products. Currently, Mint is available on the most popular air route in the USA (New York JFK to Los Angeles), but JetBlue plans to add Mint service on its New York to San Francisco flights at the end of October.
- Best bit of kit? The ever-changing nature of Birchbox. We got Liz Earle; next month who knows which high-end treatment will appear on your low-cost (ish) flight?
- Star rating? Four stars. High life.
- Best for? Hipster travelers who like a bit of "discovery commerce."
- Japan Airlines - This direct link to Tokyo and beyond serves 36 international destinations, including seven in the U.S. (eight when you count Guam), as well as 54 in Japan. And First Class passengers are being greeted with recently unveiled new travel kits. There are two for First-Class flyers. One for flights out of Japan - a beige canvas one for spring and summer, a brown one for autumn and winter flights - and the other returning to Japan - luxe corduroy in camel for spring and summer, and moss green for autumn and winter. This is the Japanese carrier's first collaboration with Loewe, the Spanish luxury brand that has been in business since 1846.
- Best bit of kit? The bags. Japan Airlines has thought of everything. They're beautifully engineered with an innovative zip / strap on the camel corduroy one and a hanger in the canvas bag. We're dying to see the moss-green corduroy bag. We'd book flights for it.
- Star rating? Six stars. Fly me to the moon. We expect cutting-edge design, function and a general "wow!" factor from the Japanese and these kits deliver it. In spades.
- Best for? High-net-worth creatives for whom form follows function.
To get the full inside scoop on these kits and to check out the complete reviews and rankings (images too) for all 27 airlines, visit Cheapflights.com's "Unveiled: The secret perks of flying first class" at www.cheapflights.com/news/unveiled-secret-perks-flying-first-class-airline-amenity-kits.
About Cheapflights.com, part of the Momondo Group
Momondo Group is an online travel media and technology company that is driven by the belief that an open world is a better world. The group now serves travel search and inspiration to over 17.5 million visitors a month -- plus 7 million travel newsletter subscribers -- via its Cheapflights (www.cheapflights.com) and momondo (www.momondo.com) brands.
Skygate began the sourcing of complex air-travel data in 1992, while Cheapflights pioneered the online comparison of flight deals for users in 1996 and momondo launched meta-search in the Nordic countries in 2006.
The Group has offices in London, Copenhagen, Boston and Toronto, with a consumer base across more than 25 core international markets but users all over the world.
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/cheapflights
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/cheapflights
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2657130
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2655113
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitrons Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Hitrons Solutions Inc. is distributor in the North American market for unique products and services of small and medium-size businesses, including cloud services and solutions, SEO marketing platforms, and mobile applications.
Aug. 25, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 318
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, will deep dive into best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Aug. 25, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,477
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Aug. 25, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,189
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Aug. 25, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,541
Kubernetes, Docker and containers are changing the world, and how companies are deploying their software and running their infrastructure. With the shift in how applications are built and deployed, new challenges must be solved. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at19th Cloud Expo, Sebastian Scheele, co-founder of Loodse, will discuss the implications of containerized applications/infrastructures and their impact on the enterprise. In a real world example based on Kubernetes, he will show how to ...
Aug. 25, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,355
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Aug. 25, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,884
SYS-CON Events announced today that Venafi, the Immune System for the Internet™ and the leading provider of Next Generation Trust Protection, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Venafi is the Immune System for the Internet™ that protects the foundation of all cybersecurity – cryptographic keys and digital certificates – so they can’t be misused by bad guys in attacks...
Aug. 25, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,588
Is the ongoing quest for agility in the data center forcing you to evaluate how to be a part of infrastructure automation efforts? As organizations evolve toward bimodal IT operations, they are embracing new service delivery models and leveraging virtualization to increase infrastructure agility. Therefore, the network must evolve in parallel to become equally agile. Read this essential piece of Gartner research for recommendations on achieving greater agility.
Aug. 25, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 575
As the world moves toward more DevOps and Microservices, application deployment to the cloud ought to become a lot simpler. The Microservices architecture, which is the basis of many new age distributed systems such as OpenStack, NetFlix and so on, is at the heart of Cloud Foundry - a complete developer-oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) that is IaaS agnostic and supports vCloud, OpenStack and AWS. Serverless computing is revolutionizing computing. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Raghav...
Aug. 25, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 567
DevOps at Cloud Expo – being held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's largest enterprises – and delivering real results. Am...
Aug. 25, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,382
Fact: storage performance problems have only gotten more complicated, as applications not only have become largely virtualized, but also have moved to cloud-based infrastructures. Storage performance in virtualized environments isn’t just about IOPS anymore. Instead, you need to guarantee performance for individual VMs, helping applications maintain performance as the number of VMs continues to go up in real time. In his session at Cloud Expo, Dhiraj Sehgal, Product and Marketing at Tintri, wil...
Aug. 25, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 532
Ixia (Nasdaq: XXIA) has announced that NoviFlow Inc.has deployed IxNetwork® to validate the company’s designs and accelerate the delivery of its proven, reliable products. Based in Montréal, NoviFlow Inc. supports network carriers, hyperscale data center operators, and enterprises seeking greater network control and flexibility, network scalability, and the capacity to handle extremely large numbers of flows, while maintaining maximum network performance. To meet these requirements, NoviFlow in...
Aug. 25, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,825
StarNet Communications Corp has announced the addition of three Secure Remote Desktop modules to its flagship X-Win32 PC X server. The new modules enable X-Win32 to safely tunnel the remote desktops from Linux and Unix servers to the user’s PC over encrypted SSH. Traditionally, users of PC X servers deploy the XDMCP protocol to display remote desktop environments such as the Gnome and KDE desktops on Linux servers and the CDE environment on Solaris Unix machines. XDMCP is used primarily on comp...
Aug. 25, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 485
SYS-CON Events announced today that StarNet Communications will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. StarNet Communications’ FastX is the industry first cloud-based remote X Windows emulator. Using standard Web browsers (FireFox, Chrome, Safari, etc.) users from around the world gain highly secure access to applications and data hosted on Linux-based servers in a central data center. ...
Aug. 25, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 598
SYS-CON Events announced today that eCube Systems, a leading provider of middleware modernization, integration, and management solutions, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. eCube Systems offers a family of middleware evolution products and services that maximize return on technology investment by leveraging existing technical equity to meet evolving business needs. ...
Aug. 25, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 495