|By Business Wire||
|August 14, 2014 10:58 AM EDT||
Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/trxzfd/signals_ahead) has announced the addition of the "Signals Ahead: VoLTE Performance and Analysis" report to their offering.
We conducted a network benchmark study of AT&T's VoLTE service (Alcatel-Lucent provides the Radio Access Network, Core Network, and IMS infrastructure) in Minneapolis-St. Paul in collaboration with Spirent Communications who provided us with its test equipment and engineering support.
KEY OBSERVATIONS INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
- VoLTE is pretty much everything that we hoped it would be.
- The call quality (MOS), based on the POLQA algorithm, greatly exceeded that of 3G CS Voice and it was measurably higher Skype (over Wi-Fi and LTE). With background applications running on the same phone and transferring data with the network the VoLTE results were considerably better than Skype - the latter seemingly showed no impact while the latter frequently failed to deliver the voice packets in many cases.
- Relative to 3G CS voice, VoLTE's big advantage was the call setup time with a CSFB call taking nearly twice as long to establish as a VoLTE call.
- VoLTE required substantially fewer network resources (DL/UL resource blocks, scheduled TTIs, PDCCH scheduling grants) than Skype and presumably other OTT voice applications. We attribute this advantage to QCI=1 features, such as RoHC, TTI bundling, and DTX/DRX, which are either not supported by an OTT application or which are supported less efficiently. Once SPS and short DRX are launched the differences should be even more substantial.
- The network savings also translates into VoLTE call requiring less current drain and power consumption than a Skype call, meaning a longer batter life. Presently 3G CS voice has a slight advantage over VoLTE in this category.
- Continued improvements in LTE network coverage will give VoLTE an even greater advantage in the future and it will reduce the number of eSRVCC handovers to the 3G CS network.
Key Topics Covered:
1.0 Executive Summary
2.0 Key Observations and Conclusions
3.0 Voice Call Quality Analysis
4.0 Network Resource Analysis
5.0 Call Reliability, Call Setup Time and IRAT Handover Analysis
6.0 Battery Life, Current Drain and Power Consumption Analysis
7.0 Test Methodology
8.0 Final Thoughts
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/trxzfd/signals_ahead
Dec. 5, 2016 04:30 AM EST Reads: 5,202
Dec. 5, 2016 04:15 AM EST Reads: 1,609
Dec. 5, 2016 04:00 AM EST Reads: 4,683
Dec. 5, 2016 04:00 AM EST Reads: 5,402
Dec. 5, 2016 04:00 AM EST Reads: 5,099
Dec. 5, 2016 03:30 AM EST Reads: 624
Dec. 5, 2016 03:30 AM EST Reads: 934
Dec. 5, 2016 01:30 AM EST Reads: 747
Dec. 5, 2016 01:00 AM EST Reads: 3,326
Dec. 5, 2016 12:45 AM EST Reads: 1,569
Dec. 5, 2016 12:45 AM EST Reads: 1,806
Dec. 5, 2016 12:30 AM EST Reads: 6,084
Dec. 5, 2016 12:15 AM EST Reads: 3,817
Dec. 5, 2016 12:15 AM EST Reads: 1,160
Dec. 4, 2016 11:45 PM EST Reads: 922