|By PR Newswire||
|August 14, 2014 06:48 PM EDT||
LUXEMBOURG, Aug. 14, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Adecoagro S.A. (NYSE: AGRO, Bloomberg: AGRO US, Reuters: AGRO.K), one of the leading agricultural companies in South America, announced today its results for the second quarter of 2014.
- Under IFRS accounting, the sale of a non-controlling interest in a subsidiary is accounted for as an equity transaction, with no gain or loss recognized in the consolidated statement of income. Any difference between the selling price and the book value is recognized in Shareholder's Equity. This type of transaction had not been contemplated when the Company originally defined its Adjusted EBITDA in 2011. Management believes that the sale of a controlling or non-controlling interest in a subsidiary, whose main underlying asset is farmland, is a key element in its Land Transformation business since in either case it allows the company to monetize the capital gains generated by the transformation of undeveloped or underutilized farmland, thereby enhancing return on invested capital. Accordingly, the Company has decided to include the gains or losses from sales of non-controlling interests in subsidiaries in its Adjusted EBITDA definition.
Financial & Operational Highlights:
- In 2Q14, Adecoagro recorded an Adjusted EBITDA(1) of $72.8 million, 75.6% higher than 2Q13. Adjusted EBITDA margin was 36.9% in 2Q14 compared to 22.0% in 2Q13. 6M14 Adjusted EBITDA was $107.5 million, 52.6% higher than 6M13.
- Adjusted EBITDA margin grew to 35.5% in 6M14 from 24.2% in 6M13.
- Net Sales in 2Q14 reached $197.5 million, while 6M14 net sales were $302.8 million, showing a 5.0% and 4.0% respective increase compared to last year.
- In our Farming and Land Transformation businesses, Adjusted EBITDA in 2Q14 was $41.8 million, $20.6 million or 96.9% higher than 2Q13. Year-to-date Adjusted EBITDA stands at $77.7 million, marking a 94.3% increase over 6M13. These improvements are explained by increased operational and financial performance in the following segments: (i) in the Crops segment, higher crop yields coupled with lower production costs resulting from operational efficiencies and devaluation of the Argentine peso, increased our margins, resulting in a 42.4% growth in Adjusted EBITDA; (ii) in the Rice segment, an increase in planted area together with lower costs driven by the implementation of efficient production technologies and the devaluation of the Argentine peso expanded Adjusted EBITDA by 232.8%. Performance was enhanced by the Land Transformation business which generated $25.6 million of Adjusted EBITDA in 2Q14, 269.6% higher quarter-over-quarter, through the sale of a 49% stake in Global Anceo S.L.U. and Global Hisingen S.L.U. (please see transaction details in page 3, Strategy Execution – Land Transformation).
- In the Sugar, Ethanol and Energy business, our mills crushed 2.1 million tons of sugarcane in 2Q14, 21.1% higher than 2Q13. The increase in cane milling, resulted from (i) the ramp up and consolidation of our cluster in Mato Grosso do Sul, which resulted in higher milling efficiency per hour; (ii) favorable weather conditions during June which allowed us to accelerate the harvesting pace; and (iii) a 17.6% expansion of our sugarcane plantation. As a result, year-over-year sugar, ethanol and energy production volumes grew by 40.6%, 9.8% and 31.3% respectively. In addition, financial performance was enhanced by (i) a 5.5% increase in sugarcane yields coupled with a 0.9% increase in TRS; (ii) operational synergies and efficiencies which reduced our production costs; and (iii) a 79.0% increase in energy revenues resulting from higher cogeneration productivity and higher prices; and partially offset by lower sugar and ethanol prices. As a result of the above, Adjusted EBITDA in 2Q14 reached $35.6 million, 37.8% higher than 2Q13, while Adjusted EBITDA margin expanded to 46.7% from 33.1% in 2Q13.
- Net income in 2Q14 totaled $1.5 million, $25.3 million higher than 2Q13. Net income in the quarter was enhanced by operational and financial improvements in the Farming and Sugar & Ethanol businesses coupled with (i) a $23.6 million increase in Financial Results primarily explained by the appreciation of the Brazilian Real in 2Q14 compared to a depreciation in 2Q13, and our adoption of Cash Flow Hedge Accounting as of July 1, 2013; and (ii) a $16.3 million increase in long term biological assets primarily explained by an increase in sugarcane yields; and partially offset by (i) a $5.8 million higher D&A charge resulting from the expansion of our asset base; and (ii) an $11.6 million lower tax benefit.
- On June 17, 2014, Adecoagro completed the sale of a 49.0% interest in Global Anceo S.L.U. and Global Hisingen S.L.U, two Spanish subsidiaries, for a total price of $50.6 million, which has been paid in full at closing. The main underlying assets of Global Anceo S.L.U. and Global Hisingen S.L.U are La Guarida and Los Guayacanes, two farms located in the Argentine provinces of Salta and Santiago del Estero, respectively. This transaction generated $25.6 million of Adjusted EBITDA in 2Q14, representing a 28.0% premium over the Cushman & Wakefield independent appraisal dated September 2013.
- Guayacanes and La Guarida farms have a total area of 26,299 hectares and were acquired by Adecoagro in 2007, for a total of $51.1 million. Following the acquisition, Adecoagro transformed and developed over 10,000 hectares of cattle pastures into crop production. The farm is currently composed of 17,371 hectares of croppable land which are used for growing grains and oilseeds and over 6,000 hectares of cattle grazing pastures. Adecoagro has operated these farms under a sustainable production model focused on no-till farming, crop rotation and other agricultural best practices, which have enhanced productivity and soil quality. After accounting for the purchase price, transformation capital expenditures, operating cash flows and selling price, these investments generated an internal rate of return of 19.1%
- The construction of the second phase of the Ivinhema mill, which will add 3.0 million tons of nominal crushing capacity and consolidate our 10.0 million ton cluster in Mato Grosso do Sul, is progressing slightly ahead of schedule and on budget regarding capital expenditures. We are currently in the process of assembling the second boiler, the ethanol distillery and the power substation, and are closely monitoring the manufacture and delivery of key equipment parts. We expect phase II to commence crushing activities by the start of the 2015/16 sugarcane harvest.
- On August, 12, 2014, the Board of Directors approved the extension of the Company's share repurchase program for an additional twelve month period, and therefore ending on September 23, 2015. Under the buyback program, the Company can continue acquiring shares up to 5% of the outstanding share capital. As of the date of this report, the Company has repurchased a total of 2.3 million shares for a total consideration of $18.1 million and an average price of $7.72 dollars per share.
(1) Adjusted EBITDA is defined as consolidated profit from operations before financing and taxation, depreciation, amortization and unrealized changes in fair value of long-term biological assets (sugarcane, coffee and cattle) plus the gains or losses from disposals of non-controlling interests in subsidiaries. Adjusted EBIT is defined as consolidated profit from operations before financing and taxation, and unrealized changes in fair value of long-term biological assets (sugarcane, coffee and cattle) plus the gains or losses from disposals of non-controlling interests in subsidiaries. Adjusted EBITDA margin and Adjusted EBIT margin are calculated as a percentage of net sales.
To read the full 2Q14 earnings release, please access www.ir.adecoagro.com. A conference call to discuss 2Q14 results will be held tomorrow with live webcast through the internet:
English Conference Call
August 15, 2014
8 a.m. (US EST)
9 a.m. Buenos Aires & Sao Paulo
2 p.m. Luxembourg
Tel: (877) 317-6776
Participants calling from the US
Tel: +1 (412) 317-6776
Participants calling from other countries
Access Code: Adecoagro
Investor Relations Department
Charlie Boero Hughes
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +54 (11) 4836-8651
Adecoagro is a leading agricultural company in South America. Adecoagro owns over 269 thousand hectares of farmland and several industrial facilities spread across the most productive regions of Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay, where it produces over 1.3 million tons of agricultural products including corn, wheat, soybeans, rice, dairy products, sugar, ethanol and electricity among others.
SOURCE Adecoagro S.A.
With an estimated 50 billion devices connected to the Internet by 2020, several industries will begin to expand their capabilities for retaining end point data at the edge to better utilize the range of data types and sheer volume of M2M data generated by the Internet of Things. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Don DeLoach, CEO and President of Infobright, will discuss the infrastructures businesses will need to implement to handle this explosion of data by providing specific use cases for filte...
Feb. 12, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 224
SYS-CON Events announced today that Avere Systems, a leading provider of enterprise storage for the hybrid cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Avere delivers a more modern architectural approach to storage that doesn’t require the overprovisioning of storage capacity to achieve performance, overspending on expensive storage media for inactive data or the overbuilding of data centers ...
Feb. 12, 2016 12:30 PM EST Reads: 103
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pythian, a global IT services company specializing in helping companies adopt disruptive technologies to optimize revenue-generating systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Founded in 1997, Pythian is a global IT services company that helps companies compete by adopting disruptive technologies such as cloud, Big Data, advanced analytics, and DevO...
Feb. 12, 2016 12:30 PM EST Reads: 259
CIOs and those charged with running IT Operations are challenged to deliver secure, audited, and reliable compute environments for the applications and data for the business. Behind the scenes these tasks are often accomplished by following onerous time-consuming processes and often the management of these environments and processes will be outsourced to multiple IT service providers. In addition, the division of work is often siloed into traditional "towers" that are not well integrated for cro...
Feb. 12, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 496
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
Feb. 12, 2016 11:45 AM EST Reads: 447
Recognizing the need to identify and validate information security professionals’ competency in securing cloud services, the two leading membership organizations focused on cloud and information security, the Cloud Security Alliance (CSA) and (ISC)^2, joined together to develop an international cloud security credential that reflects the most current and comprehensive best practices for securing and optimizing cloud computing environments.
Feb. 12, 2016 11:45 AM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that FalconStor Software® Inc., a 15-year innovator of software-defined storage solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. FalconStor Software®, Inc. (NASDAQ: FALC) is a leading software-defined storage company offering a converged, hardware-agnostic, software-defined storage and data services platform. Its flagship solution FreeStor®, utilizes a horizonta...
Feb. 12, 2016 11:45 AM EST
In most cases, it is convenient to have some human interaction with a web (micro-)service, no matter how small it is. A traditional approach would be to create an HTTP interface, where user requests will be dispatched and HTML/CSS pages must be served. This approach is indeed very traditional for a web site, but not really convenient for a web service, which is not intended to be good looking, 24x7 up and running and UX-optimized. Instead, talking to a web service in a chat-bot mode would be muc...
Feb. 12, 2016 11:30 AM EST Reads: 298
SYS-CON Events announced today that Column Technologies will exhibit at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Established in 1998, Column Technologies is a global technology solutions provider with over 400 employees, headquartered in the United States with offices in Canada, India, and the United Kingdom. Column Technologies provides “Best of Breed” technology solutions that automate the key DevOps principal...
Feb. 12, 2016 11:16 AM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that AppNeta, the leader in performance insight for business-critical web applications, will exhibit and present at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. AppNeta is the only application performance monitoring (APM) company to provide solutions for all applications – applications you develop internally, business-critical SaaS applications you use and the networks that deli...
Feb. 12, 2016 11:15 AM EST Reads: 430
Fortunately, meaningful and tangible business cases for IoT are plentiful in a broad array of industries and vertical markets. These range from simple warranty cost reduction for capital intensive assets, to minimizing downtime for vital business tools, to creating feedback loops improving product design, to improving and enhancing enterprise customer experiences. All of these business cases, which will be briefly explored in this session, hinge on cost effectively extracting relevant data from ...
Feb. 12, 2016 11:15 AM EST Reads: 138
More and more companies are looking to microservices as an architectural pattern for breaking apart applications into more manageable pieces so that agile teams can deliver new features quicker and more effectively. What this pattern has done more than anything to date is spark organizational transformations, setting the foundation for future application development. In practice, however, there are a number of considerations to make that go beyond simply “build, ship, and run,” which changes ho...
Feb. 12, 2016 11:15 AM EST Reads: 261
When building large, cloud-based applications that operate at a high scale, it’s important to maintain a high availability and resilience to failures. In order to do that, you must be tolerant of failures, even in light of failures in other areas of your application. “Fly two mistakes high” is an old adage in the radio control airplane hobby. It means, fly high enough so that if you make a mistake, you can continue flying with room to still make mistakes. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee...
Feb. 12, 2016 10:41 AM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that (ISC)²® (“ISC-squared”) will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Two leading non-profits focused on cloud and information security, (ISC)² and Cloud Security Alliance (CSA), developed the Certified Cloud Security Professional (CCSP) certification to address the increased demand for cloud security expertise due to rapid growth in cloud. Recently named “The Next...
Feb. 12, 2016 10:30 AM EST
The Art of DevOps provides a fun overview to help teams understand DevOps. Written in the style of the famous 6th century Chinese manuscript “The Art of War,” this eBook describes DevOps in the form of a mission to continuously deliver assets to the operational battlegrounds safely, securely, and quickly. It’s a fun read with valuable insights.
Feb. 12, 2016 10:00 AM EST