|By PR Newswire||
|August 14, 2014 06:48 PM EDT||
LUXEMBOURG, Aug. 14, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Adecoagro S.A. (NYSE: AGRO, Bloomberg: AGRO US, Reuters: AGRO.K), one of the leading agricultural companies in South America, announced today its results for the second quarter of 2014.
- Under IFRS accounting, the sale of a non-controlling interest in a subsidiary is accounted for as an equity transaction, with no gain or loss recognized in the consolidated statement of income. Any difference between the selling price and the book value is recognized in Shareholder's Equity. This type of transaction had not been contemplated when the Company originally defined its Adjusted EBITDA in 2011. Management believes that the sale of a controlling or non-controlling interest in a subsidiary, whose main underlying asset is farmland, is a key element in its Land Transformation business since in either case it allows the company to monetize the capital gains generated by the transformation of undeveloped or underutilized farmland, thereby enhancing return on invested capital. Accordingly, the Company has decided to include the gains or losses from sales of non-controlling interests in subsidiaries in its Adjusted EBITDA definition.
Financial & Operational Highlights:
- In 2Q14, Adecoagro recorded an Adjusted EBITDA(1) of $72.8 million, 75.6% higher than 2Q13. Adjusted EBITDA margin was 36.9% in 2Q14 compared to 22.0% in 2Q13. 6M14 Adjusted EBITDA was $107.5 million, 52.6% higher than 6M13.
- Adjusted EBITDA margin grew to 35.5% in 6M14 from 24.2% in 6M13.
- Net Sales in 2Q14 reached $197.5 million, while 6M14 net sales were $302.8 million, showing a 5.0% and 4.0% respective increase compared to last year.
- In our Farming and Land Transformation businesses, Adjusted EBITDA in 2Q14 was $41.8 million, $20.6 million or 96.9% higher than 2Q13. Year-to-date Adjusted EBITDA stands at $77.7 million, marking a 94.3% increase over 6M13. These improvements are explained by increased operational and financial performance in the following segments: (i) in the Crops segment, higher crop yields coupled with lower production costs resulting from operational efficiencies and devaluation of the Argentine peso, increased our margins, resulting in a 42.4% growth in Adjusted EBITDA; (ii) in the Rice segment, an increase in planted area together with lower costs driven by the implementation of efficient production technologies and the devaluation of the Argentine peso expanded Adjusted EBITDA by 232.8%. Performance was enhanced by the Land Transformation business which generated $25.6 million of Adjusted EBITDA in 2Q14, 269.6% higher quarter-over-quarter, through the sale of a 49% stake in Global Anceo S.L.U. and Global Hisingen S.L.U. (please see transaction details in page 3, Strategy Execution – Land Transformation).
- In the Sugar, Ethanol and Energy business, our mills crushed 2.1 million tons of sugarcane in 2Q14, 21.1% higher than 2Q13. The increase in cane milling, resulted from (i) the ramp up and consolidation of our cluster in Mato Grosso do Sul, which resulted in higher milling efficiency per hour; (ii) favorable weather conditions during June which allowed us to accelerate the harvesting pace; and (iii) a 17.6% expansion of our sugarcane plantation. As a result, year-over-year sugar, ethanol and energy production volumes grew by 40.6%, 9.8% and 31.3% respectively. In addition, financial performance was enhanced by (i) a 5.5% increase in sugarcane yields coupled with a 0.9% increase in TRS; (ii) operational synergies and efficiencies which reduced our production costs; and (iii) a 79.0% increase in energy revenues resulting from higher cogeneration productivity and higher prices; and partially offset by lower sugar and ethanol prices. As a result of the above, Adjusted EBITDA in 2Q14 reached $35.6 million, 37.8% higher than 2Q13, while Adjusted EBITDA margin expanded to 46.7% from 33.1% in 2Q13.
- Net income in 2Q14 totaled $1.5 million, $25.3 million higher than 2Q13. Net income in the quarter was enhanced by operational and financial improvements in the Farming and Sugar & Ethanol businesses coupled with (i) a $23.6 million increase in Financial Results primarily explained by the appreciation of the Brazilian Real in 2Q14 compared to a depreciation in 2Q13, and our adoption of Cash Flow Hedge Accounting as of July 1, 2013; and (ii) a $16.3 million increase in long term biological assets primarily explained by an increase in sugarcane yields; and partially offset by (i) a $5.8 million higher D&A charge resulting from the expansion of our asset base; and (ii) an $11.6 million lower tax benefit.
- On June 17, 2014, Adecoagro completed the sale of a 49.0% interest in Global Anceo S.L.U. and Global Hisingen S.L.U, two Spanish subsidiaries, for a total price of $50.6 million, which has been paid in full at closing. The main underlying assets of Global Anceo S.L.U. and Global Hisingen S.L.U are La Guarida and Los Guayacanes, two farms located in the Argentine provinces of Salta and Santiago del Estero, respectively. This transaction generated $25.6 million of Adjusted EBITDA in 2Q14, representing a 28.0% premium over the Cushman & Wakefield independent appraisal dated September 2013.
- Guayacanes and La Guarida farms have a total area of 26,299 hectares and were acquired by Adecoagro in 2007, for a total of $51.1 million. Following the acquisition, Adecoagro transformed and developed over 10,000 hectares of cattle pastures into crop production. The farm is currently composed of 17,371 hectares of croppable land which are used for growing grains and oilseeds and over 6,000 hectares of cattle grazing pastures. Adecoagro has operated these farms under a sustainable production model focused on no-till farming, crop rotation and other agricultural best practices, which have enhanced productivity and soil quality. After accounting for the purchase price, transformation capital expenditures, operating cash flows and selling price, these investments generated an internal rate of return of 19.1%
- The construction of the second phase of the Ivinhema mill, which will add 3.0 million tons of nominal crushing capacity and consolidate our 10.0 million ton cluster in Mato Grosso do Sul, is progressing slightly ahead of schedule and on budget regarding capital expenditures. We are currently in the process of assembling the second boiler, the ethanol distillery and the power substation, and are closely monitoring the manufacture and delivery of key equipment parts. We expect phase II to commence crushing activities by the start of the 2015/16 sugarcane harvest.
- On August, 12, 2014, the Board of Directors approved the extension of the Company's share repurchase program for an additional twelve month period, and therefore ending on September 23, 2015. Under the buyback program, the Company can continue acquiring shares up to 5% of the outstanding share capital. As of the date of this report, the Company has repurchased a total of 2.3 million shares for a total consideration of $18.1 million and an average price of $7.72 dollars per share.
(1) Adjusted EBITDA is defined as consolidated profit from operations before financing and taxation, depreciation, amortization and unrealized changes in fair value of long-term biological assets (sugarcane, coffee and cattle) plus the gains or losses from disposals of non-controlling interests in subsidiaries. Adjusted EBIT is defined as consolidated profit from operations before financing and taxation, and unrealized changes in fair value of long-term biological assets (sugarcane, coffee and cattle) plus the gains or losses from disposals of non-controlling interests in subsidiaries. Adjusted EBITDA margin and Adjusted EBIT margin are calculated as a percentage of net sales.
To read the full 2Q14 earnings release, please access www.ir.adecoagro.com. A conference call to discuss 2Q14 results will be held tomorrow with live webcast through the internet:
English Conference Call
August 15, 2014
8 a.m. (US EST)
9 a.m. Buenos Aires & Sao Paulo
2 p.m. Luxembourg
Tel: (877) 317-6776
Participants calling from the US
Tel: +1 (412) 317-6776
Participants calling from other countries
Access Code: Adecoagro
Investor Relations Department
Charlie Boero Hughes
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +54 (11) 4836-8651
Adecoagro is a leading agricultural company in South America. Adecoagro owns over 269 thousand hectares of farmland and several industrial facilities spread across the most productive regions of Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay, where it produces over 1.3 million tons of agricultural products including corn, wheat, soybeans, rice, dairy products, sugar, ethanol and electricity among others.
SOURCE Adecoagro S.A.
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Apr. 29, 2017 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,448
Bert Loomis was a visionary. This general session will highlight how Bert Loomis and people like him inspire us to build great things with small inventions. In their general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Architect at IBM Bluemix, and Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at Nvidia, discussed the accelerating pace of AI development and how IBM Cloud and NVIDIA are partnering to bring AI capabilities to "every day," on-demand. They also reviewed two "free infrastructure" pr...
Apr. 29, 2017 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,680
Everyone wants to use containers, but monitoring containers is hard. New ephemeral architecture introduces new challenges in how monitoring tools need to monitor and visualize containers, so your team can make sense of everything. In his session at @DevOpsSummit, David Gildeh, co-founder and CEO of Outlyer, will go through the challenges and show there is light at the end of the tunnel if you use the right tools and understand what you need to be monitoring to successfully use containers in your...
Apr. 29, 2017 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,259
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in compute, storage and networking technologies, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/...
Apr. 29, 2017 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,517
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Apr. 29, 2017 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,494
All organizations that did not originate this moment have a pre-existing culture as well as legacy technology and processes that can be more or less amenable to DevOps implementation. That organizational culture is influenced by the personalities and management styles of Executive Management, the wider culture in which the organization is situated, and the personalities of key team members at all levels of the organization. This culture and entrenched interests usually throw a wrench in the work...
Apr. 29, 2017 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 899
Judith Hurwitz is president and CEO of Hurwitz & Associates, a Needham, Mass., research and consulting firm focused on emerging technology, including big data, cognitive computing and governance. She is co-author of the book Cognitive Computing and Big Data Analytics, published in 2015. Her Cloud Expo session, "What Is the Business Imperative for Cognitive Computing?" is scheduled for Wednesday, June 8, at 8:40 a.m. In it, she puts cognitive computing into perspective with its value to the busin...
Apr. 29, 2017 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,808
NHK, Japan Broadcasting, will feature the upcoming @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley in a special 'Internet of Things' and smart technology documentary that will be filmed on the expo floor between November 3 to 5, 2015, in Santa Clara. NHK is the sole public TV network in Japan equivalent to the BBC in the UK and the largest in Asia with many award-winning science and technology programs. Japanese TV is producing a documentary about IoT and Smart technology and will be covering @ThingsExpo Silicon Val...
Apr. 29, 2017 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 9,353
SYS-CON Events announced today that CollabNet, a global leader in enterprise software development, release automation and DevOps solutions, will be a Bronze Sponsor of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, taking place from June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. CollabNet offers a broad range of solutions with the mission of helping modern organizations deliver quality software at speed. The company’s latest innovation, the DevOps Lifecycle Manager (DLM), supports Value S...
Apr. 29, 2017 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,295
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Apr. 29, 2017 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,584
Building a cross-cloud operational model can be a daunting task. Per-cloud silos are not the answer, but neither is a fully generic abstraction plane that strips out capabilities unique to a particular provider. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Wolf, VP & Chief Technology Officer, Global Field & Industry at VMware, will discuss how successful organizations approach cloud operations and management, with insights into where operations should be centralized and when it’s best to decentraliz...
Apr. 29, 2017 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 928
The age of Digital Disruption is evolving into the next era – Digital Cohesion, an age in which applications securely self-assemble and deliver predictive services that continuously adapt to user behavior. Information from devices, sensors and applications around us will drive services seamlessly across mobile and fixed devices/infrastructure. This evolution is happening now in software defined services and secure networking. Four key drivers – Performance, Economics, Interoperability and Trust ...
Apr. 29, 2017 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 952
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm. In his Day 3 Keynote at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will explore t...
Apr. 29, 2017 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 994
With billions of sensors deployed worldwide, the amount of machine-generated data will soon exceed what our networks can handle. But consumers and businesses will expect seamless experiences and real-time responsiveness. What does this mean for IoT devices and the infrastructure that supports them? More of the data will need to be handled at - or closer to - the devices themselves.
Apr. 29, 2017 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,062
@DevOpsSummit at Cloud taking place June 6-8, 2017, at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long developm...
Apr. 28, 2017 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,388