|By PR Newswire||
|August 14, 2014 06:48 PM EDT||
LUXEMBOURG, Aug. 14, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Adecoagro S.A. (NYSE: AGRO, Bloomberg: AGRO US, Reuters: AGRO.K), one of the leading agricultural companies in South America, announced today its results for the second quarter of 2014.
- Under IFRS accounting, the sale of a non-controlling interest in a subsidiary is accounted for as an equity transaction, with no gain or loss recognized in the consolidated statement of income. Any difference between the selling price and the book value is recognized in Shareholder's Equity. This type of transaction had not been contemplated when the Company originally defined its Adjusted EBITDA in 2011. Management believes that the sale of a controlling or non-controlling interest in a subsidiary, whose main underlying asset is farmland, is a key element in its Land Transformation business since in either case it allows the company to monetize the capital gains generated by the transformation of undeveloped or underutilized farmland, thereby enhancing return on invested capital. Accordingly, the Company has decided to include the gains or losses from sales of non-controlling interests in subsidiaries in its Adjusted EBITDA definition.
Financial & Operational Highlights:
- In 2Q14, Adecoagro recorded an Adjusted EBITDA(1) of $72.8 million, 75.6% higher than 2Q13. Adjusted EBITDA margin was 36.9% in 2Q14 compared to 22.0% in 2Q13. 6M14 Adjusted EBITDA was $107.5 million, 52.6% higher than 6M13.
- Adjusted EBITDA margin grew to 35.5% in 6M14 from 24.2% in 6M13.
- Net Sales in 2Q14 reached $197.5 million, while 6M14 net sales were $302.8 million, showing a 5.0% and 4.0% respective increase compared to last year.
- In our Farming and Land Transformation businesses, Adjusted EBITDA in 2Q14 was $41.8 million, $20.6 million or 96.9% higher than 2Q13. Year-to-date Adjusted EBITDA stands at $77.7 million, marking a 94.3% increase over 6M13. These improvements are explained by increased operational and financial performance in the following segments: (i) in the Crops segment, higher crop yields coupled with lower production costs resulting from operational efficiencies and devaluation of the Argentine peso, increased our margins, resulting in a 42.4% growth in Adjusted EBITDA; (ii) in the Rice segment, an increase in planted area together with lower costs driven by the implementation of efficient production technologies and the devaluation of the Argentine peso expanded Adjusted EBITDA by 232.8%. Performance was enhanced by the Land Transformation business which generated $25.6 million of Adjusted EBITDA in 2Q14, 269.6% higher quarter-over-quarter, through the sale of a 49% stake in Global Anceo S.L.U. and Global Hisingen S.L.U. (please see transaction details in page 3, Strategy Execution – Land Transformation).
- In the Sugar, Ethanol and Energy business, our mills crushed 2.1 million tons of sugarcane in 2Q14, 21.1% higher than 2Q13. The increase in cane milling, resulted from (i) the ramp up and consolidation of our cluster in Mato Grosso do Sul, which resulted in higher milling efficiency per hour; (ii) favorable weather conditions during June which allowed us to accelerate the harvesting pace; and (iii) a 17.6% expansion of our sugarcane plantation. As a result, year-over-year sugar, ethanol and energy production volumes grew by 40.6%, 9.8% and 31.3% respectively. In addition, financial performance was enhanced by (i) a 5.5% increase in sugarcane yields coupled with a 0.9% increase in TRS; (ii) operational synergies and efficiencies which reduced our production costs; and (iii) a 79.0% increase in energy revenues resulting from higher cogeneration productivity and higher prices; and partially offset by lower sugar and ethanol prices. As a result of the above, Adjusted EBITDA in 2Q14 reached $35.6 million, 37.8% higher than 2Q13, while Adjusted EBITDA margin expanded to 46.7% from 33.1% in 2Q13.
- Net income in 2Q14 totaled $1.5 million, $25.3 million higher than 2Q13. Net income in the quarter was enhanced by operational and financial improvements in the Farming and Sugar & Ethanol businesses coupled with (i) a $23.6 million increase in Financial Results primarily explained by the appreciation of the Brazilian Real in 2Q14 compared to a depreciation in 2Q13, and our adoption of Cash Flow Hedge Accounting as of July 1, 2013; and (ii) a $16.3 million increase in long term biological assets primarily explained by an increase in sugarcane yields; and partially offset by (i) a $5.8 million higher D&A charge resulting from the expansion of our asset base; and (ii) an $11.6 million lower tax benefit.
- On June 17, 2014, Adecoagro completed the sale of a 49.0% interest in Global Anceo S.L.U. and Global Hisingen S.L.U, two Spanish subsidiaries, for a total price of $50.6 million, which has been paid in full at closing. The main underlying assets of Global Anceo S.L.U. and Global Hisingen S.L.U are La Guarida and Los Guayacanes, two farms located in the Argentine provinces of Salta and Santiago del Estero, respectively. This transaction generated $25.6 million of Adjusted EBITDA in 2Q14, representing a 28.0% premium over the Cushman & Wakefield independent appraisal dated September 2013.
- Guayacanes and La Guarida farms have a total area of 26,299 hectares and were acquired by Adecoagro in 2007, for a total of $51.1 million. Following the acquisition, Adecoagro transformed and developed over 10,000 hectares of cattle pastures into crop production. The farm is currently composed of 17,371 hectares of croppable land which are used for growing grains and oilseeds and over 6,000 hectares of cattle grazing pastures. Adecoagro has operated these farms under a sustainable production model focused on no-till farming, crop rotation and other agricultural best practices, which have enhanced productivity and soil quality. After accounting for the purchase price, transformation capital expenditures, operating cash flows and selling price, these investments generated an internal rate of return of 19.1%
- The construction of the second phase of the Ivinhema mill, which will add 3.0 million tons of nominal crushing capacity and consolidate our 10.0 million ton cluster in Mato Grosso do Sul, is progressing slightly ahead of schedule and on budget regarding capital expenditures. We are currently in the process of assembling the second boiler, the ethanol distillery and the power substation, and are closely monitoring the manufacture and delivery of key equipment parts. We expect phase II to commence crushing activities by the start of the 2015/16 sugarcane harvest.
- On August, 12, 2014, the Board of Directors approved the extension of the Company's share repurchase program for an additional twelve month period, and therefore ending on September 23, 2015. Under the buyback program, the Company can continue acquiring shares up to 5% of the outstanding share capital. As of the date of this report, the Company has repurchased a total of 2.3 million shares for a total consideration of $18.1 million and an average price of $7.72 dollars per share.
(1) Adjusted EBITDA is defined as consolidated profit from operations before financing and taxation, depreciation, amortization and unrealized changes in fair value of long-term biological assets (sugarcane, coffee and cattle) plus the gains or losses from disposals of non-controlling interests in subsidiaries. Adjusted EBIT is defined as consolidated profit from operations before financing and taxation, and unrealized changes in fair value of long-term biological assets (sugarcane, coffee and cattle) plus the gains or losses from disposals of non-controlling interests in subsidiaries. Adjusted EBITDA margin and Adjusted EBIT margin are calculated as a percentage of net sales.
To read the full 2Q14 earnings release, please access www.ir.adecoagro.com. A conference call to discuss 2Q14 results will be held tomorrow with live webcast through the internet:
English Conference Call
August 15, 2014
8 a.m. (US EST)
9 a.m. Buenos Aires & Sao Paulo
2 p.m. Luxembourg
Tel: (877) 317-6776
Participants calling from the US
Tel: +1 (412) 317-6776
Participants calling from other countries
Access Code: Adecoagro
Investor Relations Department
Charlie Boero Hughes
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +54 (11) 4836-8651
Adecoagro is a leading agricultural company in South America. Adecoagro owns over 269 thousand hectares of farmland and several industrial facilities spread across the most productive regions of Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay, where it produces over 1.3 million tons of agricultural products including corn, wheat, soybeans, rice, dairy products, sugar, ethanol and electricity among others.
SOURCE Adecoagro S.A.
The essence of data analysis involves setting up data pipelines that consist of several operations that are chained together – starting from data collection, data quality checks, data integration, data analysis and data visualization (including the setting up of interaction paths in that visualization). In our opinion, the challenges stem from the technology diversity at each stage of the data pipeline as well as the lack of process around the analysis.
May. 24, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 898
What a difference a year makes. Organizations aren’t just talking about IoT possibilities, it is now baked into their core business strategy. With IoT, billions of devices generating data from different companies on different networks around the globe need to interact. From efficiency to better customer insights to completely new business models, IoT will turn traditional business models upside down. In the new customer-centric age, the key to success is delivering critical services and apps wit...
May. 24, 2016 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 705
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York and Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty ...
May. 24, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,624
Designing IoT applications is complex, but deploying them in a scalable fashion is even more complex. A scalable, API first IaaS cloud is a good start, but in order to understand the various components specific to deploying IoT applications, one needs to understand the architecture of these applications and figure out how to scale these components independently. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nara Rajagopalan is CEO of Accelerite, will discuss the fundamental architecture of IoT applications, ...
May. 24, 2016 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 600
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit y...
May. 24, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,828
In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects). Bruce Swann has more than 15 years of experience working with digital marketing disciplines like web analytics, social med...
May. 24, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 996
Enterprise networks are complex. Moreover, they were designed and deployed to meet a specific set of business requirements at a specific point in time. But, the adoption of cloud services, new business applications and intensifying security policies, among other factors, require IT organizations to continuously deploy configuration changes. Therefore, enterprises are looking for better ways to automate the management of their networks while still leveraging existing capabilities, optimizing perf...
May. 24, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 890
Cloud computing changed data analytics for good. It enabled companies to drastically decrease resources and architecture previously assigned with business intelligence departments. It also enabled laymen to run advanced business analytics. Cloud was also the architecture of choice for storing and processing big data. Data piling is a continuous process, which is going to explode with emerging Internet of Things concept. Answer to this issue developers found in new concept called fog computing. ...
May. 24, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,809
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo New York Call for Papers is now open.
May. 24, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,672
There are several IoTs: the Industrial Internet, Consumer Wearables, Wearables and Healthcare, Supply Chains, and the movement toward Smart Grids, Cities, Regions, and Nations. There are competing communications standards every step of the way, a bewildering array of sensors and devices, and an entire world of competing data analytics platforms. To some this appears to be chaos. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will discuss the vast to...
May. 24, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,341
Many banks and financial institutions are experimenting with containers in development environments, but when will they move into production? Containers are seen as the key to achieving the ultimate in information technology flexibility and agility. Containers work on both public and private clouds, and make it easy to build and deploy applications. The challenge for regulated industries is the cost and complexity of container security compliance. VM security compliance is already challenging, ...
May. 24, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 854
As cloud and storage projections continue to rise, the number of organizations moving to the cloud is escalating and it is clear cloud storage is here to stay. However, is it secure? Data is the lifeblood for government entities, countries, cloud service providers and enterprises alike and losing or exposing that data can have disastrous results. There are new concepts for data storage on the horizon that will deliver secure solutions for storing and moving sensitive data around the world. ...
May. 24, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 914
SYS-CON Events announced today that Enzu, a leading provider of cloud hosting solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Enzu’s mission is to be the leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions worldwide. Enzu enables online businesses to use its IT infrastructure to their competitive advantage. By offering a suite of proven hosting and management services, Enzu wants companies to foc...
May. 24, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,066
SYS-CON Events announced today the How to Create Angular 2 Clients for the Cloud Workshop, being held June 7, 2016, in conjunction with 18th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Angular 2 is a complete re-write of the popular framework AngularJS. Programming in Angular 2 is greatly simplified. Now it’s a component-based well-performing framework. The immersive one-day workshop led by Yakov Fain, a Java Champion and a co-founder of the IT consultancy Farata Systems and...
May. 24, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,832
Customer experience has become a competitive differentiator for companies, and it’s imperative that brands seamlessly connect the customer journey across all platforms. With the continued explosion of IoT, join us for a look at how to build a winning digital foundation in the connected era – today and in the future. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Nguyen, Group Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how to successfully leverage mobile, rapidly deploy content, capture real-time d...
May. 24, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,354