|By PR Newswire||
|August 14, 2014 07:43 PM EDT||
KANSAS CITY, Kan., Aug. 14, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The current Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) is the deadliest on record but it is important to understand key elements of this virus.
Lee Norman, MD, chief medical officer for The University of Kansas Hospital offers these 10 things to know about Ebola:
- Cases Are Out-Migrating From Africa: This is happening due to the fact that infected or ill people are traveling out of those countries in Africa with Ebola outbreaks. Cases found outside of Africa may likely go up as the number of people leaving outbreak areas increases when aid-workers and others return to their home countries.
- No Cases of Human-to-Human Transmission Outside of Africa: There has been no human-to-human or other transmission to humans outside of Africa.
- Ebola Is Not Transmitted By Air, Only Via Bodily Secretions: Ebola is not respiratory, so it is not transmitted through coughing or breathing. These infections are occurring because of people who are exposed to bodily fluids of infected individuals.
- Ebola Is Not The Most Infectious Disease: As infectious diseases go, Ebola virus isn't inherently the most infectious nor is it the least infective from person-to-person. Measles and chickenpox, for example, are easier to spread. So are influenza and MERS.
- High Mortality Rates Due to Geography: The mortality rate is quite high in Africa Ebola cases, partly because of the chaos, instability, and unrest of the governments there, and very directly related to the fact that their access to standard treatment supplies (IV solution, tubing, syringes, and protective equipment) is not universally available. Ebola cases identified and treated in westernized nations, and those with modern infection control practices, will have a much lower rate than those seen in most African regions.
- Likelihood of Breakouts In Areas Outside of Africa: Meticulous infection control practices in modern hospitals will make it more unlikely that human-to-human transmission will occur in these settings. While expensive and advanced bio-containment units provide the highest level of infection control, it is unlikely that these units will be widespread throughout the world.
- No Approved Immunizations and Treatments: There are no approved immunizations to prevent Ebola virus infection. There are no approved treatments for Ebola virus infection. There are experimental antibody treatments, as well as an antiviral medication not approved for Ebola. But whether either or both are safe or effective for widespread use is not known. "Compassionate use" or "experimental use" of the above treatments is tempting, because no targeted, specific "conventional treatment" exists. But widely adopting experimental, unproven medications as "the new conventional therapy" has its own difficulties: Is it safe? Is it effective? Is it costly? Are there unanticipated "down-sides" to using them? A WHO ethics panel has given the go-ahead for this, something it has never done before.
- How Animals Play a Role: The non-human vectors that can harbor Ebola virus (fruit bats, non-human primates) are widespread in areas far removed from Africa. As such, it bears watching whether those vectors begin to harbor the virus. The WHO has an excellent map showing the parts of the world with these vectors.
- Alert Levels: The WHO and CDC both recently increased their respective alert levels. State and local health departments throughout the U.S. and world will certainly seek guidance as to the adoption of best "local practices" to guide hospital and care providers. The guidance by the CDC as to how to manage exposed individuals and those who might be incubating the infection are quite specific and helpful. They will certainly change as time goes on.
- What We Don't Know About Ebola: There are things unknown about Ebola. For example:
- Can a person have had a low-level infection and not know they ever had it? Probably, based on serum testing.
- Does a person who has had it and survived develop lifelong immunity? That is unknown at this point. The various strains of Ebola are enough different antigenically that there may not be cross-immunity.
- Is there such a thing as a "chronic carrier state" in humans where a person can shed the virus and be infectious for a long period of time, even when they themselves have no illness or symptoms? That is also unknown at this point.
The University of Kansas Hospital is the region's premier academic medical center, providing a full range of care. The hospital is affiliated with the University of Kansas Schools of Medicine, Nursing and Health Professions, and their various leading-edge research projects. The constantly growing facility contains 699 staffed beds (plus 24 bassinets) and serves more than 28,000 inpatients annually. All 12 of its medical and surgical specialty areas are ranked nationally by the U.S. News & World Report "Best Hospital" lists, including Cancer (#29), Cardiology & Heart Surgery (#21), Diabetes & Endocrinology (#20), Ear, Nose & Throat (#17), Gastroenterology and GI Surgery (#24), Geriatrics (#16), Nephrology (#33), Neurology & Neurosurgery (#12), Pulmonology (#12), Gynecology (#38), Orthopedics (#33), and Urology (#36). The cancer program is part of The University of Kansas Cancer Center, a National Cancer Institute designated program. The hospital has received Magnet nursing designation, reflecting the quality of care throughout the hospital, an honor awarded to only 6.6 percent of the hospitals nationwide. The hospital also houses the region's only burn center, the area's only nationally accredited Level I Trauma Center and the area's only Advanced Comprehensive Stroke Center recognized by the Joint Commission. For more information, visit www.kumed.com.
SOURCE The University of Kansas Hospital
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudbric, a leading website security provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Cloudbric is an elite full service website protection solution specifically designed for IT novices, entrepreneurs, and small and medium businesses. First launched in 2015, Cloudbric is based on the enterprise level Web Application Firewall by Penta Security Sys...
Oct. 28, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,379
SYS-CON Events announced today that Impiger Technologies will exhibit in Booth #109 at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Impiger Technologies is a world-class, enterprise software product engineering company specializing in Mobile Application Development, Cloud Applications, Microsoft Technology Solutions, Web Technology and Telecom Services. Impiger Technologies helps enterprises improve busi...
Oct. 28, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 426
Virgil consists of an open-source encryption library, which implements Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) and Elliptic Curve Integrated Encryption Scheme (ECIES) (including RSA schema), a Key Management API, and a cloud-based Key Management Service (Virgil Keys). The Virgil Keys Service consists of a public key service and a private key escrow service.
Oct. 28, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,249
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cemware will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Use MATLAB functions by just visiting website mathfreeon.com. MATLAB compatible, freely usable, online platform services. As of October 2016, 80,000 users from 180 countries are enjoying our platform service.
Oct. 28, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,016
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Oct. 28, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 4,021
SYS-CON Events announced today that eCube Systems, the leading provider of modern development tools and best practices for Continuous Integration on OpenVMS, will exhibit at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. eCube Systems offers a family of middleware products and development tools that maximize return on technology investment by leveraging existing technical equity to meet evolving business needs. ...
Oct. 28, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,697
SYS-CON Events announced today that MathFreeOn will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MathFreeOn is Software as a Service (SaaS) used in Engineering and Math education. Write scripts and solve math problems online. MathFreeOn provides online courses for beginners or amateurs who have difficulties in writing scripts. In accordance with various mathematical topics, there are more tha...
Oct. 28, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,219
Digitization is driving a fundamental change in society that is transforming the way businesses work with their customers, their supply chains and their people. Digital transformation leverages DevOps best practices, such as Agile Parallel Development, Continuous Delivery and Agile Operations to capitalize on opportunities and create competitive differentiation in the application economy. However, information security has been notably absent from the DevOps movement. Speed doesn’t have to negat...
Oct. 28, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,950
In an era of historic innovation fueled by unprecedented access to data and technology, the low cost and risk of entering new markets has leveled the playing field for business. Today, any ambitious innovator can easily introduce a new application or product that can reinvent business models and transform the client experience. In their Day 2 Keynote at 19th Cloud Expo, Mercer Rowe, IBM Vice President of Strategic Alliances, and Raejeanne Skillern, Intel Vice President of Data Center Group and ...
Oct. 28, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,718
The best way to leverage your Cloud Expo presence as a sponsor and exhibitor is to plan your news announcements around our events. The press covering Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo will have access to these releases and will amplify your news announcements. More than two dozen Cloud companies either set deals at our shows or have announced their mergers and acquisitions at Cloud Expo. Product announcements during our show provide your company with the most reach through our targeted audiences.
Oct. 28, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 5,179
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential Internet of Things Brand by Onalytica in the ‘The Internet of Things Landscape 2015: Top 100 Individuals and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed Twitter conversations around the #IoT debate to uncover the most influential brands and individuals driving the conversation. Onalytica captured data from 56,224 users. The PageRank based methodology they use to extract influencers on a particular topic (tweets mentioning #InternetofThings or #IoT in this ...
Oct. 28, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 8,655
In the 21st century, security on the Internet has become one of the most important issues. We hear more and more about cyber-attacks on the websites of large corporations, banks and even small businesses. When online we’re concerned not only for our own safety but also our privacy. We have to know that hackers usually start their preparation by investigating the private information of admins – the habits, interests, visited websites and so on. On the other hand, our own security is in danger bec...
Oct. 28, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 752
"We've discovered that after shows 80% if leads that people get, 80% of the conversations end up on the show floor, meaning people forget about it, people forget who they talk to, people forget that there are actual business opportunities to be had here so we try to help out and keep the conversations going," explained Jeff Mesnik, Founder and President of ContentMX, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Oct. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,725
There is growing need for data-driven applications and the need for digital platforms to build these apps. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Muddu Sudhakar, VP and GM of Security & IoT at Splunk, will cover different PaaS solutions and Big Data platforms that are available to build applications. In addition, AI and machine learning are creating new requirements that developers need in the building of next-gen apps. The next-generation digital platforms have some of the past platform needs a...
Oct. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,418
Join Impiger for their featured webinar: ‘Cloud Computing: A Roadmap to Modern Software Delivery’ on November 10, 2016, at 12:00 pm CST. Very few companies have not experienced some impact to their IT delivery due to the evolution of cloud computing. This webinar is not about deciding whether you should entertain moving some or all of your IT to the cloud, but rather, a detailed look under the hood to help IT professionals understand how cloud adoption has evolved and what trends will impact th...
Oct. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 789