|By PR Newswire||
|August 14, 2014 07:43 PM EDT||
KANSAS CITY, Kan., Aug. 14, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The current Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) is the deadliest on record but it is important to understand key elements of this virus.
Lee Norman, MD, chief medical officer for The University of Kansas Hospital offers these 10 things to know about Ebola:
- Cases Are Out-Migrating From Africa: This is happening due to the fact that infected or ill people are traveling out of those countries in Africa with Ebola outbreaks. Cases found outside of Africa may likely go up as the number of people leaving outbreak areas increases when aid-workers and others return to their home countries.
- No Cases of Human-to-Human Transmission Outside of Africa: There has been no human-to-human or other transmission to humans outside of Africa.
- Ebola Is Not Transmitted By Air, Only Via Bodily Secretions: Ebola is not respiratory, so it is not transmitted through coughing or breathing. These infections are occurring because of people who are exposed to bodily fluids of infected individuals.
- Ebola Is Not The Most Infectious Disease: As infectious diseases go, Ebola virus isn't inherently the most infectious nor is it the least infective from person-to-person. Measles and chickenpox, for example, are easier to spread. So are influenza and MERS.
- High Mortality Rates Due to Geography: The mortality rate is quite high in Africa Ebola cases, partly because of the chaos, instability, and unrest of the governments there, and very directly related to the fact that their access to standard treatment supplies (IV solution, tubing, syringes, and protective equipment) is not universally available. Ebola cases identified and treated in westernized nations, and those with modern infection control practices, will have a much lower rate than those seen in most African regions.
- Likelihood of Breakouts In Areas Outside of Africa: Meticulous infection control practices in modern hospitals will make it more unlikely that human-to-human transmission will occur in these settings. While expensive and advanced bio-containment units provide the highest level of infection control, it is unlikely that these units will be widespread throughout the world.
- No Approved Immunizations and Treatments: There are no approved immunizations to prevent Ebola virus infection. There are no approved treatments for Ebola virus infection. There are experimental antibody treatments, as well as an antiviral medication not approved for Ebola. But whether either or both are safe or effective for widespread use is not known. "Compassionate use" or "experimental use" of the above treatments is tempting, because no targeted, specific "conventional treatment" exists. But widely adopting experimental, unproven medications as "the new conventional therapy" has its own difficulties: Is it safe? Is it effective? Is it costly? Are there unanticipated "down-sides" to using them? A WHO ethics panel has given the go-ahead for this, something it has never done before.
- How Animals Play a Role: The non-human vectors that can harbor Ebola virus (fruit bats, non-human primates) are widespread in areas far removed from Africa. As such, it bears watching whether those vectors begin to harbor the virus. The WHO has an excellent map showing the parts of the world with these vectors.
- Alert Levels: The WHO and CDC both recently increased their respective alert levels. State and local health departments throughout the U.S. and world will certainly seek guidance as to the adoption of best "local practices" to guide hospital and care providers. The guidance by the CDC as to how to manage exposed individuals and those who might be incubating the infection are quite specific and helpful. They will certainly change as time goes on.
- What We Don't Know About Ebola: There are things unknown about Ebola. For example:
- Can a person have had a low-level infection and not know they ever had it? Probably, based on serum testing.
- Does a person who has had it and survived develop lifelong immunity? That is unknown at this point. The various strains of Ebola are enough different antigenically that there may not be cross-immunity.
- Is there such a thing as a "chronic carrier state" in humans where a person can shed the virus and be infectious for a long period of time, even when they themselves have no illness or symptoms? That is also unknown at this point.
The University of Kansas Hospital is the region's premier academic medical center, providing a full range of care. The hospital is affiliated with the University of Kansas Schools of Medicine, Nursing and Health Professions, and their various leading-edge research projects. The constantly growing facility contains 699 staffed beds (plus 24 bassinets) and serves more than 28,000 inpatients annually. All 12 of its medical and surgical specialty areas are ranked nationally by the U.S. News & World Report "Best Hospital" lists, including Cancer (#29), Cardiology & Heart Surgery (#21), Diabetes & Endocrinology (#20), Ear, Nose & Throat (#17), Gastroenterology and GI Surgery (#24), Geriatrics (#16), Nephrology (#33), Neurology & Neurosurgery (#12), Pulmonology (#12), Gynecology (#38), Orthopedics (#33), and Urology (#36). The cancer program is part of The University of Kansas Cancer Center, a National Cancer Institute designated program. The hospital has received Magnet nursing designation, reflecting the quality of care throughout the hospital, an honor awarded to only 6.6 percent of the hospitals nationwide. The hospital also houses the region's only burn center, the area's only nationally accredited Level I Trauma Center and the area's only Advanced Comprehensive Stroke Center recognized by the Joint Commission. For more information, visit www.kumed.com.
SOURCE The University of Kansas Hospital
New competitors, disruptive technologies, and growing expectations are pushing every business to both adopt and deliver new digital services. This ‘Digital Transformation’ demands rapid delivery and continuous iteration of new competitive services via multiple channels, which in turn demands new service delivery techniques – including DevOps. In this power panel at @DevOpsSummit 20th Cloud Expo, moderated by DevOps Conference Co-Chair Andi Mann, panelists will examine how DevOps helps to meet th...
Apr. 27, 2017 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,470
All organizations that did not originate this moment have a pre-existing culture as well as legacy technology and processes that can be more or less amenable to DevOps implementation. That organizational culture is influenced by the personalities and management styles of Executive Management, the wider culture in which the organization is situated, and the personalities of key team members at all levels of the organization. This culture and entrenched interests usually throw a wrench in the work...
Apr. 27, 2017 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 580
Apr. 27, 2017 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 9,116
Building a cross-cloud operational model can be a daunting task. Per-cloud silos are not the answer, but neither is a fully generic abstraction plane that strips out capabilities unique to a particular provider. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Wolf, VP & Chief Technology Officer, Global Field & Industry at VMware, will discuss how successful organizations approach cloud operations and management, with insights into where operations should be centralized and when it’s best to decentraliz...
Apr. 27, 2017 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 702
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Apr. 26, 2017 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,327
@DevOpsSummit at Cloud taking place June 6-8, 2017, at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long developm...
Apr. 26, 2017 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,250
Grape Up is a software company, specialized in cloud native application development and professional services related to Cloud Foundry PaaS. With five expert teams that operate in various sectors of the market across the USA and Europe, we work with a variety of customers from emerging startups to Fortune 1000 companies.
Apr. 26, 2017 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,379
In his keynote at 19th Cloud Expo, Sheng Liang, co-founder and CEO of Rancher Labs, discussed the technological advances and new business opportunities created by the rapid adoption of containers. With the success of Amazon Web Services (AWS) and various open source technologies used to build private clouds, cloud computing has become an essential component of IT strategy. However, users continue to face challenges in implementing clouds, as older technologies evolve and newer ones like Docker c...
Apr. 26, 2017 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 701
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Apr. 26, 2017 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,404
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 add...
Apr. 26, 2017 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,977
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Apr. 26, 2017 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,372
Cloud Expo, Inc. has announced today that Aruna Ravichandran, vice president of DevOps Product and Solutions Marketing at CA Technologies, has been named co-conference chair of DevOps at Cloud Expo 2017. The @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo Silicon Valley will take place Oct. 31-Nov. 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Apr. 26, 2017 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,592
SYS-CON Events announced today that CollabNet, a global leader in enterprise software development, release automation and DevOps solutions, will be a Bronze Sponsor of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, taking place from June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. CollabNet offers a broad range of solutions with the mission of helping modern organizations deliver quality software at speed. The company’s latest innovation, the DevOps Lifecycle Manager (DLM), supports Value S...
Apr. 26, 2017 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 974
Apr. 26, 2017 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 523
Join IBM November 2 at 19th Cloud Expo at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, and learn how to go beyond multi-speed it to bring agility to traditional enterprise applications. Technology innovation is the driving force behind modern business and enterprises must respond by increasing the speed and efficiency of software delivery. The challenge is that existing enterprise applications are expensive to develop and difficult to modernize. This often results in what Gartner calls ...
Apr. 26, 2017 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,239