|By Marketwired .||
|August 15, 2014 08:05 AM EDT||
HALIFAX, NOVA SCOTIA -- (Marketwired) -- 08/15/14 -- Immunovaccine Inc. ("Immunovaccine" or "IMV") (TSX VENTURE:IMV), a clinical stage vaccine company, today released its financial and operational results for the quarter ended June 30, 2014.
"During the second quarter, Immunovaccine presented data at the annual ASCO conference that demonstrated DPX-Survivac's mechanism of action in cancer patients, while highlighting tumor shrinkage and stabilization in an ovarian cancer patient with measurable disease," said Dr. Marc Mansour, chief executive officer of Immunovaccine. "Importantly, this first association of DPX-Survivac with a clinical benefit has generated interest from key opinion leaders from around the world, who have expressed a desire to collaborate with Immunovaccine on future clinical trials."
"Momentum with our cancer vaccine programs extends beyond the data presented at ASCO. The Dana-Farber Cancer Institute elected to use DepoVax(TM) as the underlying enhancement technology for a new HPV-related cervical and head and neck cancer vaccine. This vaccine will be the focus of a clinical study, expected to start in 2015, that will be funded by a grant from Stand Up To Cancer (SU2C) and the Farrah Fawcett Foundation," Dr. Mansour continued.
"We also continue to make steady progress with our infectious disease programs with an infectious disease vaccine against RSV expected to enter a Phase I study in 2014, and an ongoing collaboration with the NIH for a rapid response anthrax vaccine which may lead to the testing of DepoVax to combat other important diseases for which there are no vaccine today."
Highlights of the Second Quarter 2014 and Subsequent to Quarter End:
- First Ever Evidence of Clinical Benefit with DPX-Survivac - Positive results from a Phase I/Ib clinical study of the Company's lead cancer vaccine candidate, DPX-Survivac, were presented at the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) 2014 Annual Meeting. In a poster presentation at the conference, Immunovaccine highlighted promising early evidence of clinical activity for DPX-Survivac in ovarian cancer patients. One patient, who experienced a 43% reduction in tumor size, was classified as a partial response (PR) as measured by Response Evaluation Criteria In Solid Tumors (RECIST 1.1). The PR, which persisted following discontinuation of treatment, was accompanied by reduction in levels of a commonly used ovarian cancer biomarker (CA125) and a significant increase in vaccine-induced immune responses. The patient's tumor and CA125 levels remain stable eight months following initiation of the DPX-Survivac therapy demonstrating a potentially durable effect of the therapy.
- Positive Study Data Supports Combination Therapies Featuring DPX-Survivac - Positive data from clinical and preclinical vaccine studies, including DPX-Survivac, were presented at the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) 2014 Annual Meeting. Results demonstrated that metronomic cyclophosphamide (mCPA), an immune modulating agent, enhanced the immunogenicity of DepoVax(TM)-based vaccines in preclinical cancer models consistent with previously reported Phase I data showing a similar enhancement of DPX-Survivac in patients. Importantly, the animal studies demonstrated the combination therapy's ability to eliminate advanced tumors that could not be treated with vaccine or mCPA alone. The addition of anti-PD-1 checkpoint inhibitor to the DepoVax vaccine/mCPA combination resulted in further enhanced anti-tumor activity, which allowed the treatment of more advanced tumors. The effective tumor regressions that were observed could not be achieved without the use of vaccine and the use of anti-PD-1.
- Dana-Farber to Study DepoVax(TM)-Based Cancer Vaccine - DepoVax(TM) was selected by the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute as the underlying adjuvanting technology for a new cancer vaccine that will be evaluated in a study in patients with cervical and head and neck cancer. Dana-Farber has been awarded a three-year, $1.2 million research grant from Stand Up To Cancer (SU2C) and the Farrah Fawcett Foundation to fund a Phase I clinical trial of the group's peptide cancer antigen formulated in DepoVax in patients with HPV-related cervical and head and neck cancers.
- DepoVax-Based Vaccine Protects Against Lethal Anthrax Challenge - Immunovaccine announced positive results from anthrax challenge studies showing that rabbits administered a vaccine containing mutant recombinant Protective Antigen (mrPA) formulated in DepoVax were protected against a lethal anthrax challenge at a range of antigen doses. All animals vaccinated with a single dose of mrPA - DepoVax(TM) containing as little as one third of a microgram of antigen were protected from anthrax infection. Four out of five animals vaccinated with mrPA - DepoVax(TM) containing one tenth of a microgram of antigen were also protected. These findings indicated that DepoVax(TM) can rapidly produce protection against anthrax with single doses of very little antigen.
- New Chief Executive Officer Named - Immunovaccine appointed Dr. Marc Mansour as chief executive officer. Dr. Mansour has previously served as the Company's chief operating officer and chief science officer and is a member of its board of directors.
Q2 2014 Financial Results
The Company prepares its unaudited interim condensed consolidated financial statements in accordance with Canadian generally accepted accounting principles as set out in the Handbook of the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants - Part I ("CICA Handbook"), which incorporates International Financial Reporting Standards ("IFRS") as issued by the International Accounting Standards Board ("IASB").
The Company's net loss and comprehensive loss of $1,330,000 for Q2 Fiscal 2014 was $365,000 higher than the net loss and comprehensive loss for Q2 Fiscal 2013. This relates mainly to the $275,000 increase in research and development costs, an increase of $22,000 in business development expenses, and a $441,000 increase to accreted interest and adjustments, offset by a decrease of $373,000 in general and administrative expenses.
For the quarter ended June 30, 2014, the Company reported total R&D expenses of $980,000, less government loans and assistance of $55,000 and investment tax credits of $63,000. This represented a $238,000 increase of net R&D expenses over the three months ended June 30, 2013. G&A expenses of $188,000 were reported for Q2 Fiscal 2014 compared to $561,000 for the three months ended June 30, 2013, an overall decrease of $373,000. Total business development expenses of $214,000 in Q2 Fiscal 2014 represented an increase of $22,000 compared to the three months ended June 30, 2013.
At June 30, 2014, Immunovaccine had cash and cash equivalents of $1.7 million and working capital of $1.7 million as compared to $3.5 million in cash and $3.3 million in working capital at December 31, 2013.
As of June 30, 2014, the number of issued and outstanding common shares was 79,550,642. On June 30, 2014, the number of stock options outstanding was 4,945,716 and the number of outstanding warrants was 31,325.
Immunovaccine's unaudited interim condensed consolidated financial statements for June 30, 2014, filed in accordance with IFRS, and the management discussion and analysis (MD&A), are available at www.sedar.com.
Pursuant to terms and conditions of the Company's stock option plan, Immunovaccine has granted 400,000 stock options to the chief executive officer. The options were granted on August 14, 2014 at an exercise price of $0.71, vested immediately and are set to expire five years from the date of grant.
Immunovaccine Inc. develops cancer immunotherapies and infectious disease vaccines based on the Company's DepoVax(TM) platform, a patented formulation that provides controlled and prolonged exposure of antigens and adjuvants to the immune system. Immunovaccine has advanced two T cell activation therapies for cancer through Phase I human clinical trials. Lead cancer vaccine therapy, DPX-Survivac, is expected to enter Phase II clinical studies in 2014, in ovarian cancer and glioblastoma (brain cancer). The Company is also advancing an infectious disease pipeline including innovative vaccines for respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) and anthrax.
Connect at www.imvaccine.com.
This press release contains forward-looking information under applicable securities law. All information that addresses activities or developments that we expect to occur in the future, is forward-looking information. Forward-looking statements are based on the estimates and opinions of management on the date the statements are made. However, they should not be regarded as a representation that any of the plans will be achieved. Actual results may differ materially from those set forth in this press release due to risks affecting the company, including access to capital, the successful completion of clinical trials and receipt of all regulatory approvals. Immunovaccine Inc. assumes no responsibility to update forward-looking statements in this press release except as required by law.
Neither TSX Venture Exchange nor its Regulation Services Provider (as that term is defined in the policies of the TSX Venture Exchange) accepts responsibility for the adequacy or accuracy of this release.
SYS-CON Events announced today that Men & Mice, the leading global provider of DNS, DHCP and IP address management overlay solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The Men & Mice Suite overlay solution is already known for its powerful application in heterogeneous operating environments, enabling enterprises to scale without fuss. Building on a solid range of diverse platform support,...
Feb. 7, 2016 06:45 PM EST Reads: 136
Father business cycles and digital consumers are forcing enterprises to respond faster to customer needs and competitive demands. Successful integration of DevOps and Agile development will be key for business success in today’s digital economy. In his session at DevOps Summit, Pradeep Prabhu, Co-Founder & CEO of Cloudmunch, covered the critical practices that enterprises should consider to seamlessly integrate Agile and DevOps processes, barriers to implementing this in the enterprise, and pr...
Feb. 7, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 315
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Feb. 7, 2016 04:45 PM EST Reads: 185
The principles behind DevOps are not new - for decades people have been automating system administration and decreasing the time to deploy apps and perform other management tasks. However, only recently did we see the tools and the will necessary to share the benefits and power of automation with a wider circle of people. In his session at DevOps Summit, Bernard Sanders, Chief Technology Officer at CloudBolt Software, explored the latest tools including Puppet, Chef, Docker, and CMPs needed to...
Feb. 7, 2016 04:15 PM EST Reads: 258
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
Feb. 7, 2016 03:30 PM EST Reads: 370
The cloud promises new levels of agility and cost-savings for Big Data, data warehousing and analytics. But it’s challenging to understand all the options – from IaaS and PaaS to newer services like HaaS (Hadoop as a Service) and BDaaS (Big Data as a Service). In her session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Hannah Smalltree, a director at Cazena, will provide an educational overview of emerging “as-a-service” options for Big Data in the cloud. This is critical background for IT and data profes...
Feb. 7, 2016 02:45 PM EST Reads: 139
SYS-CON Events announced today that VAI, a leading ERP software provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. VAI (Vormittag Associates, Inc.) is a leading independent mid-market ERP software developer renowned for its flexible solutions and ability to automate critical business functions for the distribution, manufacturing, specialty retail and service sectors. An IBM Premier Business Part...
Feb. 7, 2016 02:00 PM EST Reads: 556
One of the bewildering things about DevOps is integrating the massive toolchain including the dozens of new tools that seem to crop up every year. Part of DevOps is Continuous Delivery and having a complex toolchain can add additional integration and setup to your developer environment. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 18th Cloud Expo, Miko Matsumura, Chief Marketing Officer of Gradle Inc., will discuss which tools to use in a developer stack, how to provision the toolchain to minimize onboa...
Feb. 7, 2016 02:00 PM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
Feb. 7, 2016 01:45 PM EST Reads: 361
Fortunately, meaningful and tangible business cases for IoT are plentiful in a broad array of industries and vertical markets. These range from simple warranty cost reduction for capital intensive assets, to minimizing downtime for vital business tools, to creating feedback loops improving product design, to improving and enhancing enterprise customer experiences. All of these business cases, which will be briefly explored in this session, hinge on cost effectively extracting relevant data from ...
Feb. 7, 2016 01:30 PM EST
In most cases, it is convenient to have some human interaction with a web (micro-)service, no matter how small it is. A traditional approach would be to create an HTTP interface, where user requests will be dispatched and HTML/CSS pages must be served. This approach is indeed very traditional for a web site, but not really convenient for a web service, which is not intended to be good looking, 24x7 up and running and UX-optimized. Instead, talking to a web service in a chat-bot mode would be muc...
Feb. 7, 2016 01:15 PM EST Reads: 182
It's easy to assume that your app will run on a fast and reliable network. The reality for your app's users, though, is often a slow, unreliable network with spotty coverage. What happens when the network doesn't work, or when the device is in airplane mode? You get unhappy, frustrated users. An offline-first app is an app that works, without error, when there is no network connection.
Feb. 7, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 149
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint Systems, Inc., a provider of innovative web and infrastructure monitoring solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit at 18th Cloud Expo New York, which will take place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Catchpoint is a leading Digital Performance Analytics company that provides unparalleled insight into customer-critical services to help consistently deliver an amazing customer experience. Designed...
Feb. 7, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 331
With the Apple Watch making its way onto wrists all over the world, it’s only a matter of time before it becomes a staple in the workplace. In fact, Forrester reported that 68 percent of technology and business decision-makers characterize wearables as a top priority for 2015. Recognizing their business value early on, FinancialForce.com was the first to bring ERP to wearables, helping streamline communication across front and back office functions. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Kevin Roberts...
Feb. 7, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 344
As someone who has been dedicated to automation and Application Release Automation (ARA) technology for almost six years now, one of the most common questions I get asked regards Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS). Specifically, people want to know whether release automation is still needed when a PaaS is in place, and why. Isn't that what a PaaS provides? A solution to the deployment and runtime challenges of an application? Why would anyone using a PaaS then need an automation engine with workflow ...
Feb. 7, 2016 11:45 AM EST Reads: 127