|By PR Newswire||
|August 15, 2014 10:45 AM EDT||
Minister Leitch launches new Call for Proposals for projects to expand economic opportunities for women
WINNIPEG, Aug. 15, 2014 /CNW/ - The Honourable Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women, and Joy Smith, Member of Parliament for Kildonan—St. Paul, today invited organizations across Canada to propose new projects that will promote the economic prosperity of women in Canada, and position them for greater economic success. Minister Leitch made the announcement during a visit to the Women's Enterprise Centre of Manitoba in Winnipeg.
The Government of Canada will be supporting projects selected through a new Call for Proposals by Status of Women Canada entitled Increasing Economic Prosperity for Women. These projects will engage women and others in addressing the unique challenges facing women in today's economy, and remove the barriers that prevent them from contributing fully to the growth of the economy in their communities.
The deadline for applications to be submitted for this Call for Proposals is by noon (12:00 pm Pacific Daylight Time) on October 17, 2014.
To make the process easy, applications for funding are accepted online. Please click on "Apply Now" and follow the instructions to proceed with your online application.
This Call for Proposals by Status of Women Canada aligns with the Government of Canada's number one priority which is to support jobs, growth and long-term prosperity for all Canadians.
- Projects under this Call for Proposals will engage key stakeholders – institutions, employers, sector and professional organizations and local communities - to promote the economic prosperity of women in Canada. They will also address institutional barriers and other factors that limit economic opportunities for women.
- Through the Women's Program at Status of Women Canada, the Government of Canada has invested more than $54 million in projects that promote women's economic security and prosperity throughout the economy.
- On June 26, 2014, the report of the Government of Canada's Advisory Council for Promoting Women on Boards was released. It outlines a roadmap for improving the representation of women on public and private boards that will also build a stronger economy. One of the report's main recommendations is that public and private sectors in Canada aspire to seeing women attain 30% of all board positions over the next five years.
- Economic Action Plan 2014 outlined the Government's commitment to increasing mentorship for women looking to start their own businesses and become entrepreneurs.
"Our Government is committed to creating jobs, growth and long-term prosperity for all Canadians. We continue to support new projects that will help expand opportunities for women in communities across Canada because when women succeed, Canada succeeds."
The Honourable Dr. K. Kellie Leitch
Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women
"This Government of Canada initiative will support projects that expand economic opportunities for women in Winnipeg and across the country. It is another good example of how our Government's actions are helping Canadian women succeed and Canada prosper."
Member of Parliament for Kildonan—St. Paul
"We applaud the Government of Canada for continuing its efforts to create new economic opportunities for women across Canada. This Call for Proposals will make a tremendous difference in the lives of so many women and their families."
CEO, Women's Enterprise Centre of Manitoba
- Application Form
- Application Guide
- Information about the Call for Proposals Increasing Economic Prosperity for Women
- Information about the Women's Program at Status of Women Canada
- Follow us on Twitter: @Canada_swc
- Subscribe to our e-newsletter: Leading the Way
- Subscribe to our YouTube Channel: CanadaSWC
- Photos of Minister Leitch are available
Call for Proposals – Increasing Economic Prosperity for Women
The new Call for Proposals launched today by the Minister is entitled Economic Prosperity: Positioning Women for Success. It will provide funding for innovative projects at the national, regional, or community level that support economic opportunities for women in Canada.
Eligible organizations must address a number of project elements in their applications. More information is available at women.gc.ca.
Who is eligible under this Call for Proposals?
Eligible recipients include legally constituted organizations that are:
- Not-for-profit Canadian organizations, excluding labour unions;
- For-profit Canadian organizations, if the nature and intent of the funded activity is non-commercial and not intended to generate profit;
- Aboriginal governments (including band councils, tribal councils and self-government entities) and their agencies in rural and remote areas where there is a lack of capacity among non-profit and for-profit organizations; and
- Territorial governments (local, regional, territorial) and their agencies in the Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
What is the deadline for applications?
The deadline for applications to be submitted for this Call for Proposals is by noon (12:00 pm Pacific Daylight Time) on October 17, 2014.
- To make the process easy, applications for funding are accepted online. Please click on "Apply Now" and follow the instructions to proceed with your online application.
- You may also find it useful to contact a Status of Women Canada program officer before submitting your application. Survey results show that most successful applicants consult with a program officer during the application process, either by contacting them directly or by attending an information session. To get in touch with a program officer, please contact the Status of Women Canada office in your region.
What are the eligible project/activities?
Funding is provided for activities related to a project that:
- Align with the call under which you submit your proposal;
- Articulates clear plans to achieve demonstrable results; and
- Involves women who are affected by the issue being addressed by the project.
The following projects/activities will not be funded:
- Those that take place outside of Canada, with the exception of activities related to the United Nations (UN) that connect directly to the project and have written approval from Status of Women Canada;
- Domestic advocacy activities and lobbying of federal, provincial and municipal governments;
- Ongoing activities; and
- Research and polling activities. (Research activities can be supported if they are directly linked to the project but are not its sole or major focus.)
Funding through the Women's Program
- The Women's Program of Status of Women Canada accepts applications for funding through calls for proposals, as well as on an ongoing basis. This allows Status of Women Canada to respond to emerging issues and increases opportunities for organizations to identify additional funding partners.
- Projects funded by Status of Women Canada are diverse in nature and scope, target different beneficiaries, apply a variety of strategies and implement various activities.
- All proposals are assessed against standard criteria which include eligibility, alignment with Program/Call for Proposal priorities, knowledge and experience of the applicant organization, partner collaboration, and budget.
Women in Canada's Economy
- In 2013, women represented 47.3% of the labour force, up from 45.7% in 1999 and 37.1% in 1976.[i]
- Although the gap between men's and women's labour market participation[ii] continues to narrow, women's participation rate still trails that of men. The labour market participation rate for women aged 15 to 74 was 68% in 2012, compared to 76% for men of the same age.[iii]
- Women held majority-ownership of 16% of small- and medium-sized businesses in 2011. However, women are more likley to own small than medium-sized businesses. In 2011, women had sole-ownership of 14% of small businesses and only 4% of medium-sized businesses.[iv]
- According to the BMO Financial Group, women-owned businesses currently employ over 1.5 million Canadians.[v]
- According to RBC Economics, in 2011, the contribution of majority-owned women's business to the Canadian economy was an estimated $148 billion.[vi]
i Statistics Canada "Labour Force Survey" Table 282-0087 (December 2013).accessed February 19, 2014 http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/cansim/a26?lang=eng&retrLang=eng&id=2820087&pattern=282-0069..282-0089&tabMode=dataTable&srchLan=-1&p1=-1&p2=31
ii The participation rate represents the labour force expressed as a percentage of the population aged 15 and over. The participation rate for a particular group (age, sex, etc.) is the labour force in that group expressed as a percentage of the population for that group.
iii Finance Canada. Jobs Report: the State of the Canadian Labour Market. (Feb 2014).
iv Industry Canada, Key Small Business Statistics (August 2013).
v BMO Financial Group. BMO Women's Day Study (March 2012).
vi RBC Economics, Canadian Women Grabbing the Baton (October 2013).
For news releases and information on Status of Women Canada, go to women.gc.ca.
SOURCE Status of Women Canada
Apache Hadoop is emerging as a distributed platform for handling large and fast incoming streams of data. Predictive maintenance, supply chain optimization, and Internet-of-Things analysis are examples where Hadoop provides the scalable storage, processing, and analytics platform to gain meaningful insights from granular data that is typically only valuable from a large-scale, aggregate view. One architecture useful for capturing and analyzing streaming data is the Lambda Architecture, represent...
Mar. 27, 2017 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 6,290
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ocean9will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ocean9 provides cloud services for Backup, Disaster Recovery (DRaaS) and instant Innovation, and redefines enterprise infrastructure with its cloud native subscription offerings for mission critical SAP workloads.
Mar. 27, 2017 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,182
With billions of sensors deployed worldwide, the amount of machine-generated data will soon exceed what our networks can handle. But consumers and businesses will expect seamless experiences and real-time responsiveness. What does this mean for IoT devices and the infrastructure that supports them? More of the data will need to be handled at - or closer to - the devices themselves.
Mar. 27, 2017 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,575
In his session at DevOps Summit, Tapabrata Pal, Director of Enterprise Architecture at Capital One, will tell a story about how Capital One has embraced Agile and DevOps Security practices across the Enterprise – driven by Enterprise Architecture; bringing in Development, Operations and Information Security organizations together. Capital Ones DevOpsSec practice is based upon three "pillars" – Shift-Left, Automate Everything, Dashboard Everything. Within about three years, from 100% waterfall, C...
Mar. 27, 2017 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 12,915
Adding public cloud resources to an existing application can be a daunting process. The tools that you currently use to manage the software and hardware outside the cloud aren’t always the best tools to efficiently grow into the cloud. All of the major configuration management tools have cloud orchestration plugins that can be leveraged, but there are also cloud-native tools that can dramatically improve the efficiency of managing your application lifecycle.
Mar. 27, 2017 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,999
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Mar. 27, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,411
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm. In his Day 3 Keynote at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will explore t...
Mar. 27, 2017 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,960
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Mar. 27, 2017 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,953
Deep learning has been very successful in social sciences and specially areas where there is a lot of data. Trading is another field that can be viewed as social science with a lot of data. With the advent of Deep Learning and Big Data technologies for efficient computation, we are finally able to use the same methods in investment management as we would in face recognition or in making chat-bots. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Gaurav Chakravorty, co-founder and Head of Strategy Development ...
Mar. 27, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,681
SYS-CON Events announced today that Linux Academy, the foremost online Linux and cloud training platform and community, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Linux Academy was founded on the belief that providing high-quality, in-depth training should be available at an affordable price. Industry leaders in quality training, provided services, and student certification passes, its goal is to c...
Mar. 27, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,029
Some people worry that OpenStack is more flash then substance; however, for many customers this could not be farther from the truth. No other technology equalizes the playing field between vendors while giving your internal teams better access than ever to infrastructure when they need it. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will talk through some real-world OpenStack deployments and look into the ways this can benefit customers of all sizes....
Mar. 27, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,331
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Mar. 27, 2017 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,067
Interoute has announced the integration of its Global Cloud Infrastructure platform with Rancher Labs’ container management platform, Rancher. This approach enables enterprises to accelerate their digital transformation and infrastructure investments. Matthew Finnie, Interoute CTO commented “Enterprises developing and building apps in the cloud and those on a path to Digital Transformation need Digital ICT Infrastructure that allows them to build, test and deploy faster than ever before. The int...
Mar. 27, 2017 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,214
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Lachapelle, CEO of the Professional Evaluation and Certification Board (PECB), will provide an overview of various initiatives to certifiy the security of connected devices and future trends in ensuring public trust of IoT. Eric Lachapelle is the Chief Executive Officer of the Professional Evaluation and Certification Board (PECB), an international certification body. His role is to help companies and individuals to achieve professional, accredited and worldw...
Mar. 27, 2017 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 748
SYS-CON Events announced today that Loom Systems will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Founded in 2015, Loom Systems delivers an advanced AI solution to predict and prevent problems in the digital business. Loom stands alone in the industry as an AI analysis platform requiring no prior math knowledge from operators, leveraging the existing staff to succeed in the digital era. With offices in S...
Mar. 27, 2017 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,485