|By PR Newswire||
|August 15, 2014 10:45 AM EDT||
Minister Leitch launches new Call for Proposals for projects to expand economic opportunities for women
WINNIPEG, Aug. 15, 2014 /CNW/ - The Honourable Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women, and Joy Smith, Member of Parliament for Kildonan—St. Paul, today invited organizations across Canada to propose new projects that will promote the economic prosperity of women in Canada, and position them for greater economic success. Minister Leitch made the announcement during a visit to the Women's Enterprise Centre of Manitoba in Winnipeg.
The Government of Canada will be supporting projects selected through a new Call for Proposals by Status of Women Canada entitled Increasing Economic Prosperity for Women. These projects will engage women and others in addressing the unique challenges facing women in today's economy, and remove the barriers that prevent them from contributing fully to the growth of the economy in their communities.
The deadline for applications to be submitted for this Call for Proposals is by noon (12:00 pm Pacific Daylight Time) on October 17, 2014.
To make the process easy, applications for funding are accepted online. Please click on "Apply Now" and follow the instructions to proceed with your online application.
This Call for Proposals by Status of Women Canada aligns with the Government of Canada's number one priority which is to support jobs, growth and long-term prosperity for all Canadians.
- Projects under this Call for Proposals will engage key stakeholders – institutions, employers, sector and professional organizations and local communities - to promote the economic prosperity of women in Canada. They will also address institutional barriers and other factors that limit economic opportunities for women.
- Through the Women's Program at Status of Women Canada, the Government of Canada has invested more than $54 million in projects that promote women's economic security and prosperity throughout the economy.
- On June 26, 2014, the report of the Government of Canada's Advisory Council for Promoting Women on Boards was released. It outlines a roadmap for improving the representation of women on public and private boards that will also build a stronger economy. One of the report's main recommendations is that public and private sectors in Canada aspire to seeing women attain 30% of all board positions over the next five years.
- Economic Action Plan 2014 outlined the Government's commitment to increasing mentorship for women looking to start their own businesses and become entrepreneurs.
"Our Government is committed to creating jobs, growth and long-term prosperity for all Canadians. We continue to support new projects that will help expand opportunities for women in communities across Canada because when women succeed, Canada succeeds."
The Honourable Dr. K. Kellie Leitch
Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women
"This Government of Canada initiative will support projects that expand economic opportunities for women in Winnipeg and across the country. It is another good example of how our Government's actions are helping Canadian women succeed and Canada prosper."
Member of Parliament for Kildonan—St. Paul
"We applaud the Government of Canada for continuing its efforts to create new economic opportunities for women across Canada. This Call for Proposals will make a tremendous difference in the lives of so many women and their families."
CEO, Women's Enterprise Centre of Manitoba
- Application Form
- Application Guide
- Information about the Call for Proposals Increasing Economic Prosperity for Women
- Information about the Women's Program at Status of Women Canada
- Follow us on Twitter: @Canada_swc
- Subscribe to our e-newsletter: Leading the Way
- Subscribe to our YouTube Channel: CanadaSWC
- Photos of Minister Leitch are available
Call for Proposals – Increasing Economic Prosperity for Women
The new Call for Proposals launched today by the Minister is entitled Economic Prosperity: Positioning Women for Success. It will provide funding for innovative projects at the national, regional, or community level that support economic opportunities for women in Canada.
Eligible organizations must address a number of project elements in their applications. More information is available at women.gc.ca.
Who is eligible under this Call for Proposals?
Eligible recipients include legally constituted organizations that are:
- Not-for-profit Canadian organizations, excluding labour unions;
- For-profit Canadian organizations, if the nature and intent of the funded activity is non-commercial and not intended to generate profit;
- Aboriginal governments (including band councils, tribal councils and self-government entities) and their agencies in rural and remote areas where there is a lack of capacity among non-profit and for-profit organizations; and
- Territorial governments (local, regional, territorial) and their agencies in the Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
What is the deadline for applications?
The deadline for applications to be submitted for this Call for Proposals is by noon (12:00 pm Pacific Daylight Time) on October 17, 2014.
- To make the process easy, applications for funding are accepted online. Please click on "Apply Now" and follow the instructions to proceed with your online application.
- You may also find it useful to contact a Status of Women Canada program officer before submitting your application. Survey results show that most successful applicants consult with a program officer during the application process, either by contacting them directly or by attending an information session. To get in touch with a program officer, please contact the Status of Women Canada office in your region.
What are the eligible project/activities?
Funding is provided for activities related to a project that:
- Align with the call under which you submit your proposal;
- Articulates clear plans to achieve demonstrable results; and
- Involves women who are affected by the issue being addressed by the project.
The following projects/activities will not be funded:
- Those that take place outside of Canada, with the exception of activities related to the United Nations (UN) that connect directly to the project and have written approval from Status of Women Canada;
- Domestic advocacy activities and lobbying of federal, provincial and municipal governments;
- Ongoing activities; and
- Research and polling activities. (Research activities can be supported if they are directly linked to the project but are not its sole or major focus.)
Funding through the Women's Program
- The Women's Program of Status of Women Canada accepts applications for funding through calls for proposals, as well as on an ongoing basis. This allows Status of Women Canada to respond to emerging issues and increases opportunities for organizations to identify additional funding partners.
- Projects funded by Status of Women Canada are diverse in nature and scope, target different beneficiaries, apply a variety of strategies and implement various activities.
- All proposals are assessed against standard criteria which include eligibility, alignment with Program/Call for Proposal priorities, knowledge and experience of the applicant organization, partner collaboration, and budget.
Women in Canada's Economy
- In 2013, women represented 47.3% of the labour force, up from 45.7% in 1999 and 37.1% in 1976.[i]
- Although the gap between men's and women's labour market participation[ii] continues to narrow, women's participation rate still trails that of men. The labour market participation rate for women aged 15 to 74 was 68% in 2012, compared to 76% for men of the same age.[iii]
- Women held majority-ownership of 16% of small- and medium-sized businesses in 2011. However, women are more likley to own small than medium-sized businesses. In 2011, women had sole-ownership of 14% of small businesses and only 4% of medium-sized businesses.[iv]
- According to the BMO Financial Group, women-owned businesses currently employ over 1.5 million Canadians.[v]
- According to RBC Economics, in 2011, the contribution of majority-owned women's business to the Canadian economy was an estimated $148 billion.[vi]
i Statistics Canada "Labour Force Survey" Table 282-0087 (December 2013).accessed February 19, 2014 http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/cansim/a26?lang=eng&retrLang=eng&id=2820087&pattern=282-0069..282-0089&tabMode=dataTable&srchLan=-1&p1=-1&p2=31
ii The participation rate represents the labour force expressed as a percentage of the population aged 15 and over. The participation rate for a particular group (age, sex, etc.) is the labour force in that group expressed as a percentage of the population for that group.
iii Finance Canada. Jobs Report: the State of the Canadian Labour Market. (Feb 2014).
iv Industry Canada, Key Small Business Statistics (August 2013).
v BMO Financial Group. BMO Women's Day Study (March 2012).
vi RBC Economics, Canadian Women Grabbing the Baton (October 2013).
For news releases and information on Status of Women Canada, go to women.gc.ca.
SOURCE Status of Women Canada
Traditional on-premises data centers have long been the domain of modern data platforms like Apache Hadoop, meaning companies who build their business on public cloud were challenged to run Big Data processing and analytics at scale. But recent advancements in Hadoop performance, security, and most importantly cloud-native integrations, are giving organizations the ability to truly gain value from all their data. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, David Tishgart, Director of Product Marketing ...
Aug. 30, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 890
Fact: storage performance problems have only gotten more complicated, as applications not only have become largely virtualized, but also have moved to cloud-based infrastructures. Storage performance in virtualized environments isn’t just about IOPS anymore. Instead, you need to guarantee performance for individual VMs, helping applications maintain performance as the number of VMs continues to go up in real time. In his session at Cloud Expo, Dhiraj Sehgal, Product and Marketing at Tintri, wil...
Aug. 30, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 954
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Aug. 30, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,767
StarNet Communications Corp has announced the addition of three Secure Remote Desktop modules to its flagship X-Win32 PC X server. The new modules enable X-Win32 to safely tunnel the remote desktops from Linux and Unix servers to the user’s PC over encrypted SSH. Traditionally, users of PC X servers deploy the XDMCP protocol to display remote desktop environments such as the Gnome and KDE desktops on Linux servers and the CDE environment on Solaris Unix machines. XDMCP is used primarily on comp...
Aug. 30, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 846
SYS-CON Events announced today that StarNet Communications will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. StarNet Communications’ FastX is the industry first cloud-based remote X Windows emulator. Using standard Web browsers (FireFox, Chrome, Safari, etc.) users from around the world gain highly secure access to applications and data hosted on Linux-based servers in a central data center. ...
Aug. 30, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 949
SYS-CON Events announced today Telecom Reseller has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Telecom Reseller reports on Unified Communications, UCaaS, BPaaS for enterprise and SMBs. They report extensively on both customer premises based solutions such as IP-PBX as well as cloud based and hosted platforms.
Aug. 30, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,033
SYS-CON Events announced today that Adobe has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Adobe is changing the world though digital experiences. Adobe helps customers develop and deliver high-impact experiences that differentiate brands, build loyalty, and drive revenue across every screen, including smartphones, computers, tablets and TVs. Adobe content solutions are used daily by millions of co...
Aug. 30, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,760
Why do your mobile transformations need to happen today? Mobile is the strategy that enterprise transformation centers on to drive customer engagement. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Roger Woods, Director, Mobile Product & Strategy – Adobe Marketing Cloud, covered key IoT and mobile trends that are forcing mobile transformation, key components of a solid mobile strategy and explored how brands are effectively driving mobile change throughout the enterprise.
Aug. 30, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 647
Pulzze Systems was happy to participate in such a premier event and thankful to be receiving the winning investment and global network support from G-Startup Worldwide. It is an exciting time for Pulzze to showcase the effectiveness of innovative technologies and enable them to make the world smarter and better. The reputable contest is held to identify promising startups around the globe that are assured to change the world through their innovative products and disruptive technologies. There w...
Aug. 30, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 866
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pulzze Systems will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Pulzze Systems, Inc. provides infrastructure products for the Internet of Things to enable any connected device and system to carry out matched operations without programming. For more information, visit http://www.pulzzesystems.com.
Aug. 30, 2016 01:20 PM EDT Reads: 250
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Aug. 30, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,065
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Aug. 30, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,231
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitrons Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Hitrons Solutions Inc. is distributor in the North American market for unique products and services of small and medium-size businesses, including cloud services and solutions, SEO marketing platforms, and mobile applications.
Aug. 30, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 800
Almost two-thirds of companies either have or soon will have IoT as the backbone of their business in 2016. However, IoT is far more complex than most firms expected. How can you not get trapped in the pitfalls? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Tony Shan, a renowned visionary and thought leader, will introduce a holistic method of IoTification, which is the process of IoTifying the existing technology and business models to adopt and leverage IoT. He will drill down to the components in this fra...
Aug. 30, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 413
As the world moves toward more DevOps and Microservices, application deployment to the cloud ought to become a lot simpler. The Microservices architecture, which is the basis of many new age distributed systems such as OpenStack, NetFlix and so on, is at the heart of Cloud Foundry - a complete developer-oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) that is IaaS agnostic and supports vCloud, OpenStack and AWS. Serverless computing is revolutionizing computing. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Raghav...
Aug. 30, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,073