|By PR Newswire||
|August 15, 2014 10:45 AM EDT||
Minister Leitch launches new Call for Proposals for projects to expand economic opportunities for women
WINNIPEG, Aug. 15, 2014 /CNW/ - The Honourable Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women, and Joy Smith, Member of Parliament for Kildonan—St. Paul, today invited organizations across Canada to propose new projects that will promote the economic prosperity of women in Canada, and position them for greater economic success. Minister Leitch made the announcement during a visit to the Women's Enterprise Centre of Manitoba in Winnipeg.
The Government of Canada will be supporting projects selected through a new Call for Proposals by Status of Women Canada entitled Increasing Economic Prosperity for Women. These projects will engage women and others in addressing the unique challenges facing women in today's economy, and remove the barriers that prevent them from contributing fully to the growth of the economy in their communities.
The deadline for applications to be submitted for this Call for Proposals is by noon (12:00 pm Pacific Daylight Time) on October 17, 2014.
To make the process easy, applications for funding are accepted online. Please click on "Apply Now" and follow the instructions to proceed with your online application.
This Call for Proposals by Status of Women Canada aligns with the Government of Canada's number one priority which is to support jobs, growth and long-term prosperity for all Canadians.
- Projects under this Call for Proposals will engage key stakeholders – institutions, employers, sector and professional organizations and local communities - to promote the economic prosperity of women in Canada. They will also address institutional barriers and other factors that limit economic opportunities for women.
- Through the Women's Program at Status of Women Canada, the Government of Canada has invested more than $54 million in projects that promote women's economic security and prosperity throughout the economy.
- On June 26, 2014, the report of the Government of Canada's Advisory Council for Promoting Women on Boards was released. It outlines a roadmap for improving the representation of women on public and private boards that will also build a stronger economy. One of the report's main recommendations is that public and private sectors in Canada aspire to seeing women attain 30% of all board positions over the next five years.
- Economic Action Plan 2014 outlined the Government's commitment to increasing mentorship for women looking to start their own businesses and become entrepreneurs.
"Our Government is committed to creating jobs, growth and long-term prosperity for all Canadians. We continue to support new projects that will help expand opportunities for women in communities across Canada because when women succeed, Canada succeeds."
The Honourable Dr. K. Kellie Leitch
Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women
"This Government of Canada initiative will support projects that expand economic opportunities for women in Winnipeg and across the country. It is another good example of how our Government's actions are helping Canadian women succeed and Canada prosper."
Member of Parliament for Kildonan—St. Paul
"We applaud the Government of Canada for continuing its efforts to create new economic opportunities for women across Canada. This Call for Proposals will make a tremendous difference in the lives of so many women and their families."
CEO, Women's Enterprise Centre of Manitoba
- Application Form
- Application Guide
- Information about the Call for Proposals Increasing Economic Prosperity for Women
- Information about the Women's Program at Status of Women Canada
- Follow us on Twitter: @Canada_swc
- Subscribe to our e-newsletter: Leading the Way
- Subscribe to our YouTube Channel: CanadaSWC
- Photos of Minister Leitch are available
Call for Proposals – Increasing Economic Prosperity for Women
The new Call for Proposals launched today by the Minister is entitled Economic Prosperity: Positioning Women for Success. It will provide funding for innovative projects at the national, regional, or community level that support economic opportunities for women in Canada.
Eligible organizations must address a number of project elements in their applications. More information is available at women.gc.ca.
Who is eligible under this Call for Proposals?
Eligible recipients include legally constituted organizations that are:
- Not-for-profit Canadian organizations, excluding labour unions;
- For-profit Canadian organizations, if the nature and intent of the funded activity is non-commercial and not intended to generate profit;
- Aboriginal governments (including band councils, tribal councils and self-government entities) and their agencies in rural and remote areas where there is a lack of capacity among non-profit and for-profit organizations; and
- Territorial governments (local, regional, territorial) and their agencies in the Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
What is the deadline for applications?
The deadline for applications to be submitted for this Call for Proposals is by noon (12:00 pm Pacific Daylight Time) on October 17, 2014.
- To make the process easy, applications for funding are accepted online. Please click on "Apply Now" and follow the instructions to proceed with your online application.
- You may also find it useful to contact a Status of Women Canada program officer before submitting your application. Survey results show that most successful applicants consult with a program officer during the application process, either by contacting them directly or by attending an information session. To get in touch with a program officer, please contact the Status of Women Canada office in your region.
What are the eligible project/activities?
Funding is provided for activities related to a project that:
- Align with the call under which you submit your proposal;
- Articulates clear plans to achieve demonstrable results; and
- Involves women who are affected by the issue being addressed by the project.
The following projects/activities will not be funded:
- Those that take place outside of Canada, with the exception of activities related to the United Nations (UN) that connect directly to the project and have written approval from Status of Women Canada;
- Domestic advocacy activities and lobbying of federal, provincial and municipal governments;
- Ongoing activities; and
- Research and polling activities. (Research activities can be supported if they are directly linked to the project but are not its sole or major focus.)
Funding through the Women's Program
- The Women's Program of Status of Women Canada accepts applications for funding through calls for proposals, as well as on an ongoing basis. This allows Status of Women Canada to respond to emerging issues and increases opportunities for organizations to identify additional funding partners.
- Projects funded by Status of Women Canada are diverse in nature and scope, target different beneficiaries, apply a variety of strategies and implement various activities.
- All proposals are assessed against standard criteria which include eligibility, alignment with Program/Call for Proposal priorities, knowledge and experience of the applicant organization, partner collaboration, and budget.
Women in Canada's Economy
- In 2013, women represented 47.3% of the labour force, up from 45.7% in 1999 and 37.1% in 1976.[i]
- Although the gap between men's and women's labour market participation[ii] continues to narrow, women's participation rate still trails that of men. The labour market participation rate for women aged 15 to 74 was 68% in 2012, compared to 76% for men of the same age.[iii]
- Women held majority-ownership of 16% of small- and medium-sized businesses in 2011. However, women are more likley to own small than medium-sized businesses. In 2011, women had sole-ownership of 14% of small businesses and only 4% of medium-sized businesses.[iv]
- According to the BMO Financial Group, women-owned businesses currently employ over 1.5 million Canadians.[v]
- According to RBC Economics, in 2011, the contribution of majority-owned women's business to the Canadian economy was an estimated $148 billion.[vi]
i Statistics Canada "Labour Force Survey" Table 282-0087 (December 2013).accessed February 19, 2014 http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/cansim/a26?lang=eng&retrLang=eng&id=2820087&pattern=282-0069..282-0089&tabMode=dataTable&srchLan=-1&p1=-1&p2=31
ii The participation rate represents the labour force expressed as a percentage of the population aged 15 and over. The participation rate for a particular group (age, sex, etc.) is the labour force in that group expressed as a percentage of the population for that group.
iii Finance Canada. Jobs Report: the State of the Canadian Labour Market. (Feb 2014).
iv Industry Canada, Key Small Business Statistics (August 2013).
v BMO Financial Group. BMO Women's Day Study (March 2012).
vi RBC Economics, Canadian Women Grabbing the Baton (October 2013).
For news releases and information on Status of Women Canada, go to women.gc.ca.
SOURCE Status of Women Canada
Cloud Expo, Inc. has announced today that Andi Mann and Aruna Ravichandran have been named Co-Chairs of @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo 2017. The @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo Silicon Valley will take place Oct. 31-Nov. 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Feb. 24, 2017 02:45 PM EST Reads: 1,781
With 10 simultaneous tracks, keynotes, general sessions and targeted breakout classes, Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo are two of the most important technology events of the year. Since its launch over eight years ago, Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo have presented a rock star faculty as well as showcased hundreds of sponsors and exhibitors! In this blog post, I provide 7 tips on how, as part of our world-class faculty, you can deliver one of the most popular sessions at our events. But before reading the...
Feb. 24, 2017 02:15 PM EST Reads: 8,398
In recent years, containers have taken the world by storm. Companies of all sizes and industries have realized the massive benefits of containers, such as unprecedented mobility, higher hardware utilization, and increased flexibility and agility; however, many containers today are non-persistent. Containers without persistence miss out on many benefits, and in many cases simply pass the responsibility of persistence onto other infrastructure, adding additional complexity.
Feb. 24, 2017 02:15 PM EST Reads: 781
The best way to leverage your Cloud Expo presence as a sponsor and exhibitor is to plan your news announcements around our events. The press covering Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo will have access to these releases and will amplify your news announcements. More than two dozen Cloud companies either set deals at our shows or have announced their mergers and acquisitions at Cloud Expo. Product announcements during our show provide your company with the most reach through our targeted audiences.
Feb. 24, 2017 02:00 PM EST Reads: 1,881
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm. In his general session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will explore...
Feb. 24, 2017 01:45 PM EST Reads: 1,020
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Steve Wilkes, CTO and founder of Striim, will delve into four enterprise-scale, business-critical case studies where streaming analytics serves as the key to enabling real-time data integration and right-time insights in hybrid cloud, IoT, and fog computing environments. As part of this discussion, he will also present a demo based on its partnership with Fujitsu, highlighting their technologies in a healthcare IoT use-case. The demo showcases the tracking of patie...
Feb. 24, 2017 01:15 PM EST Reads: 707
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Feb. 24, 2017 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,854
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee Atchison, Principal Cloud Architect and Advocate at New Relic, discussed cloud as a ‘better data center’ and how it adds new capacity (faster) and improves application availability (redundancy). The cloud is a ‘Dynamic Tool for Dynamic Apps’ and resource allocation is an integral part of your application architecture, so use only the resources you need and allocate /de-allocate resources on the fly.
Feb. 24, 2017 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,378
Some people worry that OpenStack is more flash then substance; however, for many customers this could not be farther from the truth. No other technology equalizes the playing field between vendors while giving your internal teams better access than ever to infrastructure when they need it. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will talk through some real-world OpenStack deployments and look into the ways this can benefit customers of all sizes....
Feb. 24, 2017 12:45 PM EST Reads: 1,005
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing Cloud strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @CloudExpo | @ThingsExpo, June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY and October 31 - November 2, 2017, Santa Clara Convention Center, CA. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is on the right path to Digital Transformation.
Feb. 24, 2017 12:30 PM EST Reads: 2,525
In his keynote at 19th Cloud Expo, Sheng Liang, co-founder and CEO of Rancher Labs, discussed the technological advances and new business opportunities created by the rapid adoption of containers. With the success of Amazon Web Services (AWS) and various open source technologies used to build private clouds, cloud computing has become an essential component of IT strategy. However, users continue to face challenges in implementing clouds, as older technologies evolve and newer ones like Docker c...
Feb. 24, 2017 12:30 PM EST Reads: 1,310
Have you ever noticed how some IT people seem to lead successful, rewarding, and satisfying lives and careers, while others struggle? IT author and speaker Don Crawley uncovered the five principles that successful IT people use to build satisfying lives and careers and he shares them in this fast-paced, thought-provoking webinar. You'll learn the importance of striking a balance with technical skills and people skills, challenge your pre-existing ideas about IT customer service, and gain new in...
Feb. 24, 2017 12:30 PM EST Reads: 2,505
@DevOpsSummit at Cloud taking place June 6-8, 2017, at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long developm...
Feb. 24, 2017 12:00 PM EST Reads: 1,519
Bert Loomis was a visionary. This general session will highlight how Bert Loomis and people like him inspire us to build great things with small inventions. In their general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Architect at IBM Bluemix, and Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at Nvidia, discussed the accelerating pace of AI development and how IBM Cloud and NVIDIA are partnering to bring AI capabilities to "every day," on-demand. They also reviewed two "free infrastructure" pr...
Feb. 24, 2017 11:30 AM EST Reads: 1,237
Cloud Expo, Inc. has announced today that Aruna Ravichandran, vice president of DevOps Product and Solutions Marketing at CA Technologies, has been named co-conference chair of DevOps at Cloud Expo 2017. The @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo Silicon Valley will take place Oct. 31-Nov. 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Feb. 24, 2017 11:30 AM EST Reads: 1,757