|By PR Newswire||
|August 18, 2014 04:54 PM EDT||
NEW YORK, Aug. 18, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Reportlinker.com announces that a new market research report is available in its catalogue:
The report discusses the various trends relating to current accounts – also known as checking accounts – across the world, and the strategies adopted by banks to increase profitability:
- It highlights emerging trends in the current account markets in America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and the Middle East and Africa
- It discusses key drivers fueling demand for current accounts, and key issues and challenges faced by banks across various regions.
- It provides analytical insights into the key emerging trends of the current markets arising because of the regulatory and economic developments in these regions
- It provides a competitive assessment of the current accounts offered by the leading lending banks in key developed and emerging economies.
Due to changes in regulatory frameworks and competitive dynamics, retail banking and its current account business have changed gradually during the last decade. Despite initiatives taken by banks to retain customers, the current accounts market in developed economies recorded growing instances of account switching. Improved customer service, attractive reward programs and financial incentives offered by banks are the main factors encouraging customers to switch their primary banks.
In emerging economies, pricing has been the primary reason for the low volume of banking customers. As pricing is affected by cost pressures and changing customer expectations, banks are adopting a number of product and pricing strategies in the form of loyalty programs, incentives, packaged current accounts and customized product offerings to entice customers. Furthermore, with increasing technological advancements, banks are encouraging customers to use low-cost banking channels to conduct banking transactions, resulting in reduced operating costs and improved profitability.
With rising competition and regulatory pressure, banks in the US are increasing charges on current accounts in order to maintain profitability. Consequently, the percentage of free checking or current accounts dropped from 76% in 2009 to 38% in 2013. This has led customers to switch to banks offering no, or low, monthly fees on basic checking accounts. The UK current account market also recorded a high number of customers switching accounts. Robust customer service mechanisms, branch proximity, flexible banking hours and attractive reward programs are factors enticing customers to switch banks. The switching of accounts was further intensified with the introduction of the Current Account Switch Service by the Payments Council on September 16, 2013, which allows fast and seamless switching to new banks. For the six-month period between October 1, 2013 and March 31, 2014, 609,300 UK current accounts were switched, a 14.0% increase compared to the equivalent period in 2012 when there were 532,500 switches.
Due to firm's capitalizing on this trend, the current account market has recorded a number of new entrants. T-Mobile, a provider of wireless voice, messaging, and data services launched a mobile-based checking account in the US in January 2014, with low banking charges. Similarly, UK-based retailer Tesco is also launching current account products in the UK through its banking arm, Tesco Bank.
- This report highlights the key trends arising in key current account markets following the global financial crisis.
- The report gives an insight into current accounts offered by banks in countries such as the US, Canada, Brazil, the UK, Germany, India, Australia, the UAE and South Africa.
- The report outlines the various factors affecting consumers' choices of current accounts in these markets.
- The report also discusses the key drivers, issues and challenges faced by retail banks when offering current accounts in these countries.
Reasons To Buy
- Gain insights into the current accounts markets of developed and emerging economies in the Americas, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and the Middle East and Africa.
- Gain an understanding of the amendments brought about in current account markets following the global financial crisis.
- Gain analysis of current account markets based on strategies adopted to improve products and product portfolios.
- Gain insights into key operational and regulatory trends in key current account markets.
- Free checking accounts (accounts with no charges) are diminishing as banks impose fees to improve profitability. According to Bankrate, free checking accounts in the US dropped from 76% in 2009 to 38% in 2013. The average monthly fee of non-interest bearing checking accounts up 25% in 2012 with a monthly fee of US$5.48 with an average balance of US$723 to be maintained to waiver the surcharge fees.
- The use of overdraft protection by account holders is rising rapidly in the US, making overdraft protection a major revenue-generating component for banks. Overall, 13 million consumers used overdraft protection in 2010 in the US, generating revenues of US$35.0 billion for banks. Banks offer overdraft protection to avoid the bouncing of checks, or insufficient funds in cases of debit card transactions.
- According to the German Bundesbank and IMF forecasts, the German economy is expected to be relatively stable over the next five years, despite the financial uncertainties faced by most European countries. Consequently, consumer spending is expected to grow over 2014?2018. The promotion and development of payment cards will offer substantial growth for the industry. As a result of the Bundesbank's decision to outsource more of its cash-recycling facilities to private companies, cash is likely to be less attractive for retailers, as cash-handling services were previously provided by the Bundesbank at little or no cost.
- Rural and agricultural industries form a noticeable proportion of the economies in many Asia-Pacific countries. Banks and financial institutions offer current accounts to farmers and the rural population, with minimal fees, as they look to build a presence in unbanked agricultural areas. Agri-current accounts are designed for those in agriculture-related businesses or trading in agricultural commodities.
- The expatriate population accounts for significant proportions of the total populations in many Middle East countries. The UAE's expatriate population accounts for more than 80% of the total population, followed by Kuwait and Oman where the expatriate populations account for 63% and 62% respectively. Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Bahrain have 30%, 27% and 26% of their total population as expatriates.
Table of Contents1 Executive Summary2 Global Snapshot – Current Account Market Dynamics2.1 Assessment of Market Trends2.2 Key Drivers2.3 Challenges3 The Americas3.1 Emerging Trends3.2 Product Comparison3.2.1 Product comparison – the US3.2.2 Production comparison – Canada3.2.3 Product comparison – Brazil3.3 Strategies4 Europe4.1 Emerging Trends4.2 Product Comparison4.2.1 Product comparison – the UK4.2.2 Product comparison – Germany4.3 Strategies5 Asia-Pacific5.1 Emerging Trends5.2 Product Comparison5.2.1 Product comparison – Australia5.2.2 Product comparison – India5.3 Strategies6 The Middle East and Africa6.1 Emerging Trends6.2 Product Comparison6.2.1 Product comparison – UAE6.2.2 Product comparison – South Africa6.3 Strategies7 Case Study7.1 First Direct – Upfront Incentives Encourage Customers to Switch to its Current Accounts7.2 Bank of America – "Keep the Change" Initiative to Acquire Customers7.3 T-Mobile – Mobile-Based Checking Accounts in the US7.4 Union Bank – Empowering Customers to Create their own Current Accounts7.5 HDFC Bank – Implementation of Effective Customer Segmentation and Distribution Strategies7.6 Absa Bank – Introduction of Packaged Current Accounts8 Appendix8.1 Methodology8.2 Contact Timetric8.3 About Timetric8.4 Timetric's Services8.5 Disclaimer
List of Tables
Table 1: Global Current Market Snapshot – Emerging Trends and Strategies Adopted
Table 2: Economic Conditions in Key Markets, 2009 and 2013
Table 3: Debit Cards – Volumes in Key Countries (Million), 2009–2018
Table 4: New Businesses Registered in Key Countries, 2009–2012
Table 5: Unbanked Populations in Key Developing Economies, 2013
Table 6: Open-Loop Prepaid Cards Segment Value (US$ Billion), 2009–2018
Table 7: Canada – Current Accounts With Low Charges
Table 8: The US and Canada – Online and Mobile Penetration, 2013
Table 9: The US – Checking Account Types, March 2014
Table 10: The US – Basic Checking Accounts, March 2014
Table 11: The US – Premier Checking Accounts, March 2014
Table 12: The US – Student Checking Accounts, March 2014
Table 13: Canada – Checking Account Types, March 2014
Table 14: Canada – Everyday Banking and Checking Accounts, March 2014
Table 15: Canada – Unlimited Banking Current Accounts, March 2014
Table 16: Brazil – Current Account Types, March 2014
Table 17: Brazil – University Current Accounts, March 2014
Table 18: Brazil – Business Current Accounts, March 2014
Table 19: The UK – Current Account Types, 2014
Table 20: The UK – Basic Current Accounts, March 2014
Table 21: The UK – Graduate Current Accounts, March 2014
Table 22: Germany – Current Account Types, 2014
Table 23: Germany – Basic Current Accounts, March 2014
Table 24: Germany – Premium Current Accounts, March 2014
Table 25: The UK – "With Benefits" Current Accounts
Table 26: Asia-Pacific – Current Accounts With Low Banking Charges
Table 27: Australia –Transaction Account Types, March 2014
Table 28: Australia – Everyday Banking, March 2014
Table 29: Australia – Everyday Business Accounts, March 2014
Table 30: India – Current Account Types, March 2014
Table 31: India – Regular Current Accounts, March 2014
Table 32: India – Agri-Current Accounts, March 2014
Table 33: Asia-Pacific – Current Accounts for Specific Customer Segments
Table 34: The Middle East and Africa – Economic Indicators, 2013–2018
Table 35: The UAE – Current Account Types, March 2014
Table 36: The UAE – Current Accounts, March 2014
Table 37: The UAE – Business Current Accounts, March 2014
Table 38: South Africa – Current Account Types, March 2014
Table 39: South Africa – Basic Current Accounts, March 2014
Table 40: South Africa – Small Business Current Accounts, March 2014
Table 41: The Middle East and Africa – Specific Current Accounts for High-Income Customers
Table 42: The Middle East and Africa – Specific Current Accounts for Students and Young People
Table 43: HDFC Bank – Current Accounts for Specific Customer Segments
List of Figures
Figure 1: Percentage of Respondents Forming New Primary Relationships With Banks, 2013
Figure 2: The US – Free Checking Accounts (%), 2009–2013
Figure 3: The Americas – Open-Loop Prepaid Card Growth Rates, 2009–2018
Figure 4: Europe – Users of Mobile Banking, July 2013
To order this report: Insight Report: Current Accounts – Emerging Trends, Product Insights and Case Studies http://www.reportlinker.com/p02238329/Insight-Report-Current-Accounts-–-Emerging-Trends-Product-Insights-and-Case-Studies.html
Contact Clare: [email protected]
US: (339) 368 6001
Intl: +1 339 368 6001
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Mar. 25, 2017 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,408
Interoute has announced the integration of its Global Cloud Infrastructure platform with Rancher Labs’ container management platform, Rancher. This approach enables enterprises to accelerate their digital transformation and infrastructure investments. Matthew Finnie, Interoute CTO commented “Enterprises developing and building apps in the cloud and those on a path to Digital Transformation need Digital ICT Infrastructure that allows them to build, test and deploy faster than ever before. The int...
Mar. 25, 2017 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 676
SYS-CON Events announced today that CrowdReviews.com has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6–8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. CrowdReviews.com is a transparent online platform for determining which products and services are the best based on the opinion of the crowd. The crowd consists of Internet users that have experienced products and services first-hand and have an interest in letting other potential buyers...
Mar. 25, 2017 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,432
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Mar. 25, 2017 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,984
@DevOpsSummit has been named the ‘Top DevOps Influencer' by iTrend. iTrend processes millions of conversations, tweets, interactions, news articles, press releases, blog posts - and extract meaning form them and analyzes mobile and desktop software platforms used to communicate, various metadata (such as geo location), and automation tools. In overall placement, @DevOpsSummit ranked as the number one ‘DevOps Influencer' followed by @CloudExpo at third, and @MicroservicesE at 24th.
Mar. 25, 2017 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 10,160
Virtualization over the past years has become a key strategy for IT to acquire multi-tenancy, increase utilization, develop elasticity and improve security. And virtual machines (VMs) are quickly becoming a main vehicle for developing and deploying applications. The introduction of containers seems to be bringing another and perhaps overlapped solution for achieving the same above-mentioned benefits. Are a container and a virtual machine fundamentally the same or different? And how? Is one techn...
Mar. 25, 2017 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,820
SYS-CON Events announced today that Infranics will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Since 2000, Infranics has developed SysMaster Suite, which is required for the stable and efficient management of ICT infrastructure. The ICT management solution developed and provided by Infranics continues to add intelligence to the ICT infrastructure through the IMC (Infra Management Cycle) based on mathemat...
Mar. 25, 2017 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,827
Have you ever noticed how some IT people seem to lead successful, rewarding, and satisfying lives and careers, while others struggle? IT author and speaker Don Crawley uncovered the five principles that successful IT people use to build satisfying lives and careers and he shares them in this fast-paced, thought-provoking webinar. You'll learn the importance of striking a balance with technical skills and people skills, challenge your pre-existing ideas about IT customer service, and gain new in...
Mar. 25, 2017 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,362
SYS-CON Events announced today that SD Times | BZ Media has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6–8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. BZ Media LLC is a high-tech media company that produces technical conferences and expositions, and publishes a magazine, newsletters and websites in the software development, SharePoint, mobile development and commercial UAV markets.
Mar. 25, 2017 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,112
SYS-CON Events announced today that Telecom Reseller has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6–8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Telecom Reseller reports on Unified Communications, UCaaS, BPaaS for enterprise and SMBs. They report extensively on both customer premises based solutions such as IP-PBX as well as cloud based and hosted platforms.
Mar. 25, 2017 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,946
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudistics, an on-premises cloud computing company, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloudistics delivers a complete public cloud experience with composable on-premises infrastructures to medium and large enterprises. Its software-defined technology natively converges network, storage, compute, virtualization, and management into a ...
Mar. 25, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,741
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Mar. 25, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 13,927
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Mar. 25, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,169
"I think that everyone recognizes that for IoT to really realize its full potential and value that it is about creating ecosystems and marketplaces and that no single vendor is able to support what is required," explained Esmeralda Swartz, VP, Marketing Enterprise and Cloud at Ericsson, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Mar. 25, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,008
Historically, some banking activities such as trading have been relying heavily on analytics and cutting edge algorithmic tools. The coming of age of powerful data analytics solutions combined with the development of intelligent algorithms have created new opportunities for financial institutions. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Sebastien Meunier, Head of Digital for North America at Chappuis Halder & Co., will discuss how these tools can be leveraged to develop a lasting competitive advanta...
Mar. 25, 2017 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,580