|By PR Newswire||
|August 20, 2014 12:00 PM EDT||
BURLINGTON, Mass., Aug. 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Decision Resources Group finds that surveyed managed care organizations (MCOs) anticipate that their costs of covering biologic treatments of autoimmune diseases will increase by double-digit rates each year the next two years. The cost trend for rheumatoid arthritis (RA), which MCOs expect to average 19 percent, is a major concern for more than two-thirds of the 40 surveyed MCO pharmacy directors/medical directors. As a result, payers have increased cost controls on biologics, which has affected prescribing by specialists. The survey, which also included 103 rheumatologists, indicates that 80 percent of the specialists encounter moderate-to-strong control by payers when prescribing biologic agents for RA and psoriatic arthritis (PsA), while 74 percent of specialists note this level of control for ankylosing spondylitis (AS).
Other key findings from the U.S. Physician & Payer Forum report High-Cost Biologics for Autoimmune Diseases: How Will Healthcare Reform and Payer-Led Cost-Taming Strategies Impact Brand Prescribing?:
- Prescribing of biologic agents: Close to 60 percent of surveyed rheumatologists said their patients treated for RA, PsA and AS are prescribed a biologic agent—typically after an initial trial and failure of conventional disease modifying antirheumatic drugs.
- Utilization management controls: Among all the restrictions and strategies to control the use of high-cost biologics, MCOs overwhelmingly apply utilization management controls, most commonly prior authorization and step therapy, to steer to preferred agents.
- Adherence to preferred drug lists: In response to increased payer controls, more than half of surveyed rheumatologists reported they adhere more closely to preferred drug lists and plan to do so in the next 12 months.
- Specialty pharmacy use: About half of MCOs reported a specialty pharmacy is commonly used to acquire biologic drugs for members with RA—a trend that may accelerate with the launch of more self-administered therapies, thus increasing the ability of payers to control costs.
- Site of care restrictions: Only 23 percent of MCO directors reported their MCO restricts the site of care of infused therapies; among the rest, 45 percent anticipate adding such restrictions in the next two years.
Comments from Decision Resources Group Analyst Chris Lewis:
- "Autoimmune diseases represent the most costly class of specialty drugs for the nation's payers, and they have responded by enacting controls that encourage prescribers to adhere to treatment protocols and prescribe MCOs' preferred agents. With blockbusters like Enbrel, Humira and Remicade enjoying first-line status, other therapies face the continual challenge of getting prescribed."
- "Considering prescribers intend to adhere more closely to preferred drug lists as a result of increased payer control on biologics, drug marketers need to find ways to obtain preferred brand coverage on MCO formularies or risk losing patient share to competitors that achieve favorable coverage."
- Media members are welcome to attend our upcoming webinar based on this report entitled Taming High-Cost Biologics: The Impact of Payer Restrictions on Prescribing of Autoimmune Therapies. This presentation will be held on Thursday, September 18, 2014. For more information, please contact Christopher Comfort at [email protected].
About Decision Resources Group
Decision Resources Group offers best-in-class, high-value information and insights on critical issues within the healthcare industry. Clients rely on this analysis and data to make informed decisions. Find out more at www.DecisionResourcesGroup.com.
All company, brand, or product names contained in this document may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
For more information, contact:
Decision Resources Group
SOURCE Decision Resources Group
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named "Platinum Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and 21st International Cloud Expo, which will take place in November in Silicon Valley, California.
Apr. 26, 2017 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,362
Five years ago development was seen as a dead-end career, now it’s anything but – with an explosion in mobile and IoT initiatives increasing the demand for skilled engineers. But apart from having a ready supply of great coders, what constitutes true ‘DevOps Royalty’? It’ll be the ability to craft resilient architectures, supportability, security everywhere across the software lifecycle. In his keynote at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Jeffrey Scheaffer, GM and SVP, Continuous Delivery Busine...
Apr. 26, 2017 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 850
In his keynote at 19th Cloud Expo, Sheng Liang, co-founder and CEO of Rancher Labs, discussed the technological advances and new business opportunities created by the rapid adoption of containers. With the success of Amazon Web Services (AWS) and various open source technologies used to build private clouds, cloud computing has become an essential component of IT strategy. However, users continue to face challenges in implementing clouds, as older technologies evolve and newer ones like Docker c...
Apr. 26, 2017 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 536
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitachi, the leading provider the Internet of Things and Digital Transformation, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Hitachi Data Systems, a wholly owned subsidiary of Hitachi, Ltd., offers an integrated portfolio of services and solutions that enable digital transformation through enhanced data management, governance, mobility and analytics. We help globa...
Apr. 26, 2017 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,139
While some vendors scramble to create and sell you a fancy solution for monitoring your spanking new Amazon Lambdas, hear how you can do it on the cheap using just built-in Java APIs yourself. By exploiting a little-known fact that Lambdas aren’t exactly single threaded, you can effectively identify hot spots in your serverless code. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, David Martin, Principal Product Owner at CA Technologies, will give a live demonstration and code walkthrough, showing how to o...
Apr. 26, 2017 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 500
Developers want to create better apps faster. Static clouds are giving way to scalable systems, with dynamic resource allocation and application monitoring. You won't hear that chant from users on any picket line, but helping developers to create better apps faster is the mission of Lee Atchison, principal cloud architect and advocate at New Relic Inc., based in San Francisco. His singular job is to understand and drive the industry in the areas of cloud architecture, microservices, scalability ...
Apr. 26, 2017 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,515
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Apr. 26, 2017 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,109
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Apr. 26, 2017 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,862
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm. In his Day 3 Keynote at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will explore t...
Apr. 26, 2017 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 701
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain.
Apr. 26, 2017 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,639
@DevOpsSummit has been named the ‘Top DevOps Influencer' by iTrend. iTred processes millions of conversations, tweets, interactions, news articles, press releases, blog posts - and extract meaning form them and analyzes mobile and desktop software platforms used to communicate, various metadata (such as geo location), and automation tools. In overall placement, @DevOpsSummit ranked as the number one ‘DevOps Influencer' followed by @CloudExpo at third, and @MicroservicesE at 24th.
Apr. 26, 2017 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,797
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Apr. 26, 2017 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,142
All organizations that did not originate this moment have a pre-existing culture as well as legacy technology and processes that can be more or less amenable to DevOps implementation. That organizational culture is influenced by the personalities and management styles of Executive Management, the wider culture in which the organization is situated, and the personalities of key team members at all levels of the organization. This culture and entrenched interests usually throw a wrench in the work...
Apr. 26, 2017 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 471
Apr. 26, 2017 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 8,989
Apr. 26, 2017 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 274