|By Marketwired .||
|August 20, 2014 02:08 PM EDT||
TORONTO, ON -- (Marketwired) -- 08/20/14 -- Looking for a side of adventure for your next beach trip? Want to go above and beyond for a beach day unlike any other? The travel experts at Cheapflights.ca, the online leader in finding and publishing travel deals, are here to help with their 10 Trek-Worthy Beaches around the World. These idyllic spots are far from your average day at the beach. You just need to be willing to put in a little effort to get there!
Here are five "off the beaten path" beaches located in the Americas where the reward is worth the journey:
- Kalalau Beach, Kauai, Hawaii, United States-Rugged and majestic, Kauai's Na Pali Coast will steal anyone's breath. And getting a glimpse of it is no easy feat. After all, this sweeping coastline is largely inaccessible by land; most will only gaze upon it from a helicopter, catamaran or movie theater seat. But there is one way to make the trek on foot -- an 18-kilometre hike along the Kalalau Trail, which crosses cliffs and traverses five valleys before dipping to sea level and ending at Kalalau Beach. The trail is known for being treacherous, but those who conquer it will arrive at this hard-to-reach beach and get a chance to feast their eyes on some truly stunning scenery from a rare vantage point. Hikers can camp behind the beach, but a permit is necessary, and timing is key as the beach typically gets swept away with the winter surf.
- The beaches of Cabo Polonio, Uruguay-No official roads lead to Cabo Polonio; a horseback ride, a healthy walk or a cruise in a four-wheel-drive vehicle are the only modes of transportation that will bring you over the dunes to this village and its beaches. That is, after you first take a four-hour bus ride from Montevideo. Largely devoid of electricity and running water, Cabo Polonio has fewer than 100 residents and sits on a sandy peninsula that serves up different beach experiences on either side -- one side features serious waves, while the other is more sheltered and offers calm waters ideal for swimming. In the off-season, you may even be the only one on these beaches. Don't miss the lighthouse, which was built in the late 1800s, and the colony of sea lions that call Cabo Polonio home.
- Chesterman Beach, Tofino, British Columbia, Canada-Surrounded by pretty houses and bed and breakfasts, Chesterman Beach is one of the top beaches in Tofino -- a district situated along Vancouver Island's western coast. Once you're in the area, Chesterman isn't difficult to access, but getting to Tofino is where the adventure lies. Visitors have a few travel options from mainland British Columbia: fly into Tofino on a local jet or seaplane, take the Tofino Bus, book a shuttle, or take a ferry (departing from either Horseshoe Bay or Tsawwassen) to Nanaimo then drive. Once you make your way to this beach, you'll be treated to three kilometres of white sand, tidepools full of marine life, an ideal place to learn to surf (surf schools offer up lessons), and a chance to walk out to Frank Island at low tide to get a panoramic view of the beach backed by snow-topped mountains.
- Devil's Bay, Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands-Quick, but chock full of adventure, the 15-minute trek to Devil's Bay begins at the parking lot at the top of The Baths and passes through vegetation and giant boulders before arriving at the bay and its beach. Crawling, climbing ladders and wading through water are all requisite activities along the way, but at the end of this boulder-filled path is arguably one of Virgin Gorda's most stunning beaches. This geological wonder is a popular tourist spot, so it's best to go early or late to avoid crowds and take full advantage of what's often described as some of the best snorkelling you can find.
- Playa Cocalito, Nicoya Peninsula, Costa Rica-If you're looking to make like a castaway, Playa Cocalito is the place to do it. You won't see any crowds on this Costa Rican beach -- largely because it's difficult to get here. If you can't get a boat ride from a local fisherman or guide (who will reportedly sometimes barbecue fish on the beach for you), you'll walk at least an hour and a half through jungle from Montezuma. A suspension bridge and plenty of local flora and fauna are all part of the journey. If you'd rather take a horseback tour from Montezuma, that's also an option. Peppered with driftwood and palm trees, Playa Cocalito is deserted and beautiful with smooth sand and calm waters that are great for swimming. Don't miss the El Chorro waterfall (to the north of the beach) with its lava rock swimming pools.
The other beautiful but remote beaches to make our list are: Whitehaven Beach, Whitsunday Island, Queensland, Australia; Beach on the other side of Emerald Cave, Koh Mook, Thailand; New Chums Beach, Coromandel Peninsula, New Zealand; Kynance Cove Beach, Lizard, Cornwall, England and Rauðisandur Beach (Red Sands Beach), Westfjords, Iceland. To read the adventurous details on these and see Cheapflights.ca's complete list of 10 Trek-Worthy Beaches around the World, visit www.cheapflights.ca/news/10-trek-worthy-beaches-around-world.
About Cheapflights.ca, part of the Momondo Group
Momondo Group is an online travel media and technology company that is driven by the belief that an open world is a better world. The group now serves travel search and inspiration to over 17.5 million visitors a month -- plus 7 million travel newsletter subscribers -- via its Cheapflights (www.cheapflights.ca) and momondo (www.momondo.com) brands.
Skygate began the sourcing of complex air-travel data in 1992, while Cheapflights pioneered the online comparison of flight deals for users in 1996 and momondo launched meta-search in the Nordic countries in 2006.
The Group has offices in London, Copenhagen, Boston and Toronto, with a consumer base across more than 25 core international markets but users all over the world.
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/cheapflights
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/cheapflights
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2660809
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York and Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty ...
Nov. 26, 2015 03:15 PM EST Reads: 504
We are rapidly moving to a brave new world of interconnected smart homes, cars, offices and factories known as the Internet of Things (IoT). Sensors and monitoring devices will touch every part of our lives. Let's take a closer look at the Internet of Things. The Internet of Things is a worldwide network of objects and devices connected to the Internet. They are electronics, sensors, software and more. These objects connect to the Internet and can be controlled remotely via apps and programs. ...
Nov. 26, 2015 02:15 PM EST Reads: 494
Today air travel is a minefield of delays, hassles and customer disappointment. Airlines struggle to revitalize the experience. GE and M2Mi will demonstrate practical examples of how IoT solutions are helping airlines bring back personalization, reduce trip time and improve reliability. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Dr. Sarah Cooper, M2Mi’s VP Business Development and Engineering, explored the IoT cloud-based platform technologies driving t...
Nov. 26, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 384
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
Nov. 26, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 285
We all know that data growth is exploding and storage budgets are shrinking. Instead of showing you charts on about how much data there is, in his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Scott Cleland, Senior Director of Product Marketing at HGST, showed how to capture all of your data in one place. After you have your data under control, you can then analyze it in one place, saving time and resources.
Nov. 26, 2015 12:00 PM EST Reads: 144
As organizations shift towards IT-as-a-service models, the need for managing & protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and now cloud environments grows with it. CommVault can ensure protection & E-Discovery of your data - whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud, or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enterprise.
Nov. 26, 2015 11:30 AM EST Reads: 114
In recent years, at least 40% of companies using cloud applications have experienced data loss. One of the best prevention against cloud data loss is backing up your cloud data. In his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Sam McIntyre, Partner Enablement Specialist at eFolder, presented how organizations can use eFolder Cloudfinder to automate backups of cloud application data. He also demonstrated how easy it is to search and restore cloud application data using Cloudfinder.
Nov. 26, 2015 11:00 AM EST Reads: 117
The Internet of Things (IoT) is growing rapidly by extending current technologies, products and networks. By 2020, Cisco estimates there will be 50 billion connected devices. Gartner has forecast revenues of over $300 billion, just to IoT suppliers. Now is the time to figure out how you’ll make money – not just create innovative products. With hundreds of new products and companies jumping into the IoT fray every month, there’s no shortage of innovation. Despite this, McKinsey/VisionMobile data...
Nov. 26, 2015 11:00 AM EST Reads: 441
Just over a week ago I received a long and loud sustained applause for a presentation I delivered at this year’s Cloud Expo in Santa Clara. I was extremely pleased with the turnout and had some very good conversations with many of the attendees. Over the next few days I had many more meaningful conversations and was not only happy with the results but also learned a few new things. Here is everything I learned in those three days distilled into three short points.
Nov. 26, 2015 10:00 AM EST Reads: 283
DevOps is about increasing efficiency, but nothing is more inefficient than building the same application twice. However, this is a routine occurrence with enterprise applications that need both a rich desktop web interface and strong mobile support. With recent technological advances from Isomorphic Software and others, rich desktop and tuned mobile experiences can now be created with a single codebase – without compromising functionality, performance or usability. In his session at DevOps Su...
Nov. 26, 2015 09:45 AM EST Reads: 363
As organizations realize the scope of the Internet of Things, gaining key insights from Big Data, through the use of advanced analytics, becomes crucial. However, IoT also creates the need for petabyte scale storage of data from millions of devices. A new type of Storage is required which seamlessly integrates robust data analytics with massive scale. These storage systems will act as “smart systems” provide in-place analytics that speed discovery and enable businesses to quickly derive meaningf...
Nov. 26, 2015 09:30 AM EST Reads: 371
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Nov. 26, 2015 09:00 AM EST Reads: 474
In his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager for Adobe Campaign, explored the key ingredients of cross-channel marketing in a digital world. Learn how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects).
Nov. 26, 2015 08:45 AM EST Reads: 264
The buzz continues for cloud, data analytics and the Internet of Things (IoT) and their collective impact across all industries. But a new conversation is emerging - how do companies use industry disruption and technology enablers to lead in markets undergoing change, uncertainty and ambiguity? Organizations of all sizes need to evolve and transform, often under massive pressure, as industry lines blur and merge and traditional business models are assaulted and turned upside down. In this new da...
Nov. 26, 2015 08:30 AM EST Reads: 189
The Internet of Everything is re-shaping technology trends–moving away from “request/response” architecture to an “always-on” Streaming Web where data is in constant motion and secure, reliable communication is an absolute necessity. As more and more THINGS go online, the challenges that developers will need to address will only increase exponentially. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Todd Greene, Founder & CEO of PubNub, exploreed the current state of IoT connectivity and review key trends and t...
Nov. 26, 2015 06:45 AM EST Reads: 399