|By Marketwired .||
|August 20, 2014 02:08 PM EDT||
TORONTO, ON -- (Marketwired) -- 08/20/14 -- Looking for a side of adventure for your next beach trip? Want to go above and beyond for a beach day unlike any other? The travel experts at Cheapflights.ca, the online leader in finding and publishing travel deals, are here to help with their 10 Trek-Worthy Beaches around the World. These idyllic spots are far from your average day at the beach. You just need to be willing to put in a little effort to get there!
Here are five "off the beaten path" beaches located in the Americas where the reward is worth the journey:
- Kalalau Beach, Kauai, Hawaii, United States-Rugged and majestic, Kauai's Na Pali Coast will steal anyone's breath. And getting a glimpse of it is no easy feat. After all, this sweeping coastline is largely inaccessible by land; most will only gaze upon it from a helicopter, catamaran or movie theater seat. But there is one way to make the trek on foot -- an 18-kilometre hike along the Kalalau Trail, which crosses cliffs and traverses five valleys before dipping to sea level and ending at Kalalau Beach. The trail is known for being treacherous, but those who conquer it will arrive at this hard-to-reach beach and get a chance to feast their eyes on some truly stunning scenery from a rare vantage point. Hikers can camp behind the beach, but a permit is necessary, and timing is key as the beach typically gets swept away with the winter surf.
- The beaches of Cabo Polonio, Uruguay-No official roads lead to Cabo Polonio; a horseback ride, a healthy walk or a cruise in a four-wheel-drive vehicle are the only modes of transportation that will bring you over the dunes to this village and its beaches. That is, after you first take a four-hour bus ride from Montevideo. Largely devoid of electricity and running water, Cabo Polonio has fewer than 100 residents and sits on a sandy peninsula that serves up different beach experiences on either side -- one side features serious waves, while the other is more sheltered and offers calm waters ideal for swimming. In the off-season, you may even be the only one on these beaches. Don't miss the lighthouse, which was built in the late 1800s, and the colony of sea lions that call Cabo Polonio home.
- Chesterman Beach, Tofino, British Columbia, Canada-Surrounded by pretty houses and bed and breakfasts, Chesterman Beach is one of the top beaches in Tofino -- a district situated along Vancouver Island's western coast. Once you're in the area, Chesterman isn't difficult to access, but getting to Tofino is where the adventure lies. Visitors have a few travel options from mainland British Columbia: fly into Tofino on a local jet or seaplane, take the Tofino Bus, book a shuttle, or take a ferry (departing from either Horseshoe Bay or Tsawwassen) to Nanaimo then drive. Once you make your way to this beach, you'll be treated to three kilometres of white sand, tidepools full of marine life, an ideal place to learn to surf (surf schools offer up lessons), and a chance to walk out to Frank Island at low tide to get a panoramic view of the beach backed by snow-topped mountains.
- Devil's Bay, Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands-Quick, but chock full of adventure, the 15-minute trek to Devil's Bay begins at the parking lot at the top of The Baths and passes through vegetation and giant boulders before arriving at the bay and its beach. Crawling, climbing ladders and wading through water are all requisite activities along the way, but at the end of this boulder-filled path is arguably one of Virgin Gorda's most stunning beaches. This geological wonder is a popular tourist spot, so it's best to go early or late to avoid crowds and take full advantage of what's often described as some of the best snorkelling you can find.
- Playa Cocalito, Nicoya Peninsula, Costa Rica-If you're looking to make like a castaway, Playa Cocalito is the place to do it. You won't see any crowds on this Costa Rican beach -- largely because it's difficult to get here. If you can't get a boat ride from a local fisherman or guide (who will reportedly sometimes barbecue fish on the beach for you), you'll walk at least an hour and a half through jungle from Montezuma. A suspension bridge and plenty of local flora and fauna are all part of the journey. If you'd rather take a horseback tour from Montezuma, that's also an option. Peppered with driftwood and palm trees, Playa Cocalito is deserted and beautiful with smooth sand and calm waters that are great for swimming. Don't miss the El Chorro waterfall (to the north of the beach) with its lava rock swimming pools.
The other beautiful but remote beaches to make our list are: Whitehaven Beach, Whitsunday Island, Queensland, Australia; Beach on the other side of Emerald Cave, Koh Mook, Thailand; New Chums Beach, Coromandel Peninsula, New Zealand; Kynance Cove Beach, Lizard, Cornwall, England and Rauðisandur Beach (Red Sands Beach), Westfjords, Iceland. To read the adventurous details on these and see Cheapflights.ca's complete list of 10 Trek-Worthy Beaches around the World, visit www.cheapflights.ca/news/10-trek-worthy-beaches-around-world.
About Cheapflights.ca, part of the Momondo Group
Momondo Group is an online travel media and technology company that is driven by the belief that an open world is a better world. The group now serves travel search and inspiration to over 17.5 million visitors a month -- plus 7 million travel newsletter subscribers -- via its Cheapflights (www.cheapflights.ca) and momondo (www.momondo.com) brands.
Skygate began the sourcing of complex air-travel data in 1992, while Cheapflights pioneered the online comparison of flight deals for users in 1996 and momondo launched meta-search in the Nordic countries in 2006.
The Group has offices in London, Copenhagen, Boston and Toronto, with a consumer base across more than 25 core international markets but users all over the world.
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/cheapflights
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/cheapflights
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2660809
"We host and fully manage cloud data services, whether we store, the data, move the data, or run analytics on the data," stated Kamal Shannak, Senior Development Manager, Cloud Data Services, IBM, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 29, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,418
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, discussed how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to imp...
Jul. 29, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,560
DevOps at Cloud Expo – being held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's largest enterprises – and delivering real results. Am...
Jul. 29, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,357
With the proliferation of both SQL and NoSQL databases, organizations can now target specific fit-for-purpose database tools for their different application needs regarding scalability, ease of use, ACID support, etc. Platform as a Service offerings make this even easier now, enabling developers to roll out their own database infrastructure in minutes with minimal management overhead. However, this same amount of flexibility also comes with the challenges of picking the right tool, on the right ...
Jul. 29, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,394
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Jul. 29, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,670
With over 720 million Internet users and 40–50% CAGR, the Chinese Cloud Computing market has been booming. When talking about cloud computing, what are the Chinese users of cloud thinking about? What is the most powerful force that can push them to make the buying decision? How to tap into them? In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Yu Hao, CEO and co-founder of SpeedyCloud, answered these questions and discussed the results of SpeedyCloud’s survey.
Jul. 29, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,036
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, demonstrated how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and shared the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the develo...
Jul. 29, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,598
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device.
Jul. 29, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,456
Large scale deployments present unique planning challenges, system commissioning hurdles between IT and OT and demand careful system hand-off orchestration. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jeff Smith, Senior Director and a founding member of Incenergy, will discuss some of the key tactics to ensure delivery success based on his experience of the last two years deploying Industrial IoT systems across four continents.
Jul. 29, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,673
Redis is not only the fastest database, but it is the most popular among the new wave of databases running in containers. Redis speeds up just about every data interaction between your users or operational systems. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Dave Nielsen, Developer Advocate, Redis Labs, will share the functions and data structures used to solve everyday use cases that are driving Redis' popularity.
Jul. 29, 2016 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,700
Predictive analytics tools monitor, report, and troubleshoot in order to make proactive decisions about the health, performance, and utilization of storage. Most enterprises combine cloud and on-premise storage, resulting in blended environments of physical, virtual, cloud, and other platforms, which justifies more sophisticated storage analytics. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Peter McCallum, Vice President of Datacenter Solutions at FalconStor, discussed using predictive analytics to mon...
Jul. 29, 2016 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,091
Basho Technologies has announced the latest release of Basho Riak TS, version 1.3. Riak TS is an enterprise-grade NoSQL database optimized for Internet of Things (IoT). The open source version enables developers to download the software for free and use it in production as well as make contributions to the code and develop applications around Riak TS. Enhancements to Riak TS make it quick, easy and cost-effective to spin up an instance to test new ideas and build IoT applications. In addition to...
Jul. 29, 2016 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,993
Identity is in everything and customers are looking to their providers to ensure the security of their identities, transactions and data. With the increased reliance on cloud-based services, service providers must build security and trust into their offerings, adding value to customers and improving the user experience. Making identity, security and privacy easy for customers provides a unique advantage over the competition.
Jul. 28, 2016 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,240
In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Yoseph Reuveni, Director of Software Engineering at Jet.com, will discuss Jet.com's journey into containerizing Microsoft-based technologies like C# and F# into Docker. He will talk about lessons learned and challenges faced, the Mono framework tryout and how they deployed everything into Azure cloud. Yoseph Reuveni is a technology leader with unique experience developing and running high throughput (over 1M tps) distributed systems with extre...
Jul. 28, 2016 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,227
"We've discovered that after shows 80% if leads that people get, 80% of the conversations end up on the show floor, meaning people forget about it, people forget who they talk to, people forget that there are actual business opportunities to be had here so we try to help out and keep the conversations going," explained Jeff Mesnik, Founder and President of ContentMX, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 28, 2016 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,444