|By Business Wire||
|August 20, 2014 03:24 PM EDT||
Civitas Learning™ announced today the formation of a ten-member national advisory board with deep expertise in education technology, predictive analytics and student-success research. Members of the advisory board will join Civitas Learning’s growing leadership team and Pioneer Partners as the student-success and analytics innovator continues its drive toward a Million More Mission, supporting college and university innovation aimed at helping a million more students each year succeed on their higher education journeys.
“We chose the name Civitas Learning intentionally,” said Dr. Mark Milliron, co-founder and chief learning officer. “It means a community learning together, and these national advisory board members just add more tough-minded, talented voices committed to helping more students learn well and finish strong into the mix.”
The national advisory board members are:
- Dr. George Siemens: Dr. Siemens is the executive director of the Learning Innovation and Networked Knowledge (LINK) Research Lab at the University of Texas at Arlington. He is an educator and researcher on learning, networks, analytics and visualization, openness, and organizational effectiveness in digital environments. He is the president of the Society for Learning Analytics Research (SoLAR) and helped found the annual International Conference on Learning Analytics and Knowledge.
- Dr. Linda Baer: Dr. Baer has served more than thirty years in numerous executive level positions in higher education. She is currently a senior consultant with i4 Solutions. Previously, Dr. Baer served as a Senior Program Officer in Postsecondary Success with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and as Senior Vice Chancellor of Academic and Student Affairs in the Minnesota State College and University System.
- Adam Dell: Adam joined Austin Ventures in May 2010, and currently serves as a director with Civitas Learning. Most recently, Adam was Founder and Managing General Partner of Impact Venture Partners, a venture capital firm focused on information technology investments.
- Dr. Gerardo de los Santos: Dr. de los Santos serves as President and Chief Executive Officer of the League for Innovation in the Community College, an international association dedicated to catalyzing the community college movement. He has been a strong advocate for the strategic use of technology and data in community colleges for years, and has published two books focused on helping bridge the digital divide in the United States.
- Dr. Phil Ice: Dr. Ice is currently the Vice President of Research and Development at American Public University System. His research is focused on the impact of new and emerging technologies on cognition in online learning environments and on the strategic use of advanced analytics in supporting student completion.
- Dr. Davis Jenkins: Dr. Jenkins is a senior research associate at the Community College Research Center. He works with colleges and states to find ways to improve educational and employment outcomes for students, particularly those from disadvantaged backgrounds of credentials, and to prepare students to succeed in further education and careers. Dr. Jenkins’ research and thinking have informed the development and spread of innovative approaches to improving student outcomes.
- Phil Komarny: Phil is the CEO, USA, at Robots and Pencils. Formerly the Vice President for Computer and Information Technology/CIO at Seton Hill University, he has served as the institutional catalyst in initiatives that have positioned Seton Hill as a leader in strengthening learning through the use of mobile technology.
- Dr. Nicole Melander: Dr. Melander is the Senior Vice President of Digital Strategy at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (HMH). Prior to joining HMH, Dr. Melander was the CTO for Achieving the Dream, a national reform network dedicated to community college student success and completion. In previous roles, she has served as a senior executive for both Oracle and Microsoft in their education divisions.
- Dr. Lisa Petrides: Dr. Petrides is the president and founder of ISKME (Institute for the Study of Knowledge Management in Education), a global leader in research and practice around data use, open education and social learning in the education sector. Her research and writing are at the forefront of innovation in how education can be made relevant to learning through open access, social learning, information sharing, and knowledge collaboration.
- Dr. Tristan Denley: Dr. Denley serves as Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs at the Tennessee Board of Regents. Prior to that, he was Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs at Austin Peay State University. He is involved in implementing a wide variety of initiatives surrounding college completion and institutional transformation with the use of predictive analytics, including creating Degree Compass.
Civitas Learning’s Founder and CEO, Charles Thornburgh, added: “These leaders will be vital to our continuing efforts to help our college and university partners make the most of their learning data by developing predictive analytics platforms, powering engaging apps, and learning from important work in intervention science.”
About Civitas Learning, Inc.
By building a community of forward-thinking higher education institutions, Civitas Learning™ brings together the best of new technology, design thinking, and data science in its mission to help a million more college students learn well and finish strong. Using a cloud-based, predictive analytics platform and engaging applications, Civitas Learning helps partner institutions bring deep insights to decision makers, and personalized, real-time recommendations directly to the frontlines for students, faculty, and advisors to measurably improve student learning, persistence, and graduation. Civitas Learning serves more than 35 partner institutions and systems in higher education that enroll more 1.3 million students. The historical dataset from these partners currently includes more than 10 million students and 100 million enrollment records. Civitas Learning is based in Austin, Texas. For more information, visit www.civitaslearning.com or email [email protected].
DevOps Summit, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long development...
Sep. 2, 2015 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,560
eCube Systems has released NXTmonitor, a full featured application orchestration solution. NXTmonitor, which inherited the code base of NXTminder, has been extended to support multi-discipline processes and will act as a DevOps utility in a heterogeneous enterprise environment. Previously, NXTminder was packaged with NXTera middleware to configure and manage Entera and NXTera RPC servers. “Since we are widening the focus of this solution to DevOps, we felt the need to change the name to NXTmon...
Sep. 2, 2015 02:45 PM EDT
WebRTC services have already permeated corporate communications in the form of videoconferencing solutions. However, WebRTC has the potential of going beyond and catalyzing a new class of services providing more than calls with capabilities such as mass-scale real-time media broadcasting, enriched and augmented video, person-to-machine and machine-to-machine communications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Luis Lopez, CEO of Kurento, will introduce the technologies required for implementing thes...
Sep. 2, 2015 02:15 PM EDT
Mobile, social, Big Data, and cloud have fundamentally changed the way we live. “Anytime, anywhere” access to data and information is no longer a luxury; it’s a requirement, in both our personal and professional lives. For IT organizations, this means pressure has never been greater to deliver meaningful services to the business and customers.
Sep. 2, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 816
Consumer IoT applications provide data about the user that just doesn’t exist in traditional PC or mobile web applications. This rich data, or “context,” enables the highly personalized consumer experiences that characterize many consumer IoT apps. This same data is also providing brands with unprecedented insight into how their connected products are being used, while, at the same time, powering highly targeted engagement and marketing opportunities. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nathan Trel...
Sep. 2, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 262
Whether you like it or not, DevOps is on track for a remarkable alliance with security. The SEC didn’t approve the merger. And your boss hasn’t heard anything about it. Yet, this unruly triumvirate will soon dominate and deliver DevSecOps faster, cheaper, better, and on an unprecedented scale. In his session at DevOps Summit, Frank Bunger, VP of Customer Success at ScriptRock, will discuss how this cathartic moment will propel the DevOps movement from such stuff as dreams are made on to a prac...
Sep. 2, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 249
The 3rd International WebRTC Summit, to be held Nov. 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 15th International Cloud Expo, 6th International Big Data Expo, 3rd International DevOps Summit and 2nd Internet of @ThingsExpo. WebRTC (Web-based Real-Time Com...
Sep. 2, 2015 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,552
SYS-CON Events announced today that HPM Networks will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For 20 years, HPM Networks has been integrating technology solutions that solve complex business challenges. HPM Networks has designed solutions for both SMB and enterprise customers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Sep. 2, 2015 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 937
The 17th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. 17th International Cloud Expo, to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, APM, APIs, Microservices, Security, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding bu...
Sep. 2, 2015 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,634
SYS-CON Events announced today that the "Second Containers & Microservices Expo" will take place November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Containers and microservices have become topics of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities.
Sep. 2, 2015 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 620
The 5th International DevOps Summit, co-located with 17th International Cloud Expo – being held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the ...
Sep. 2, 2015 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,617
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lee Williams, a producer of the first smartphones and tablets, will talk about how he is now applying his experience in mobile technology to the design and development of the next generation of Environmental and Sustainability Services at ETwater. He will explain how M2M controllers work through wirelessly connected remote controls; and specifically delve into a retrofit option that reverse-engineers control codes of existing conventional controller systems so the...
Sep. 2, 2015 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 201
While many app developers are comfortable building apps for the smartphone, there is a whole new world out there. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Narayan Sainaney, Co-founder and CTO of Mojio, will discuss how the business case for connected car apps is growing and, with open platform companies having already done the heavy lifting, there really is no barrier to entry.
Sep. 2, 2015 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 191
Moving an existing on-premise infrastructure into the cloud can be a complex and daunting proposition. It is critical to understand the benefits as well as the challenges associated with either a full or hybrid approach. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Richard Weiss, Principal Consultant at Pythian, will present a roadmap that can be leveraged by any organization to plan, analyze, evaluate and execute on a cloud migration solution. He will review the five major cloud transformation phases a...
Sep. 2, 2015 12:21 PM EDT
Too often with compelling new technologies market participants become overly enamored with that attractiveness of the technology and neglect underlying business drivers. This tendency, what some call the “newest shiny object syndrome,” is understandable given that virtually all of us are heavily engaged in technology. But it is also mistaken. Without concrete business cases driving its deployment, IoT, like many other technologies before it, will fade into obscurity.
Sep. 2, 2015 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 412