|By Business Wire||
|August 20, 2014 03:24 PM EDT||
Civitas Learning™ announced today the formation of a ten-member national advisory board with deep expertise in education technology, predictive analytics and student-success research. Members of the advisory board will join Civitas Learning’s growing leadership team and Pioneer Partners as the student-success and analytics innovator continues its drive toward a Million More Mission, supporting college and university innovation aimed at helping a million more students each year succeed on their higher education journeys.
“We chose the name Civitas Learning intentionally,” said Dr. Mark Milliron, co-founder and chief learning officer. “It means a community learning together, and these national advisory board members just add more tough-minded, talented voices committed to helping more students learn well and finish strong into the mix.”
The national advisory board members are:
- Dr. George Siemens: Dr. Siemens is the executive director of the Learning Innovation and Networked Knowledge (LINK) Research Lab at the University of Texas at Arlington. He is an educator and researcher on learning, networks, analytics and visualization, openness, and organizational effectiveness in digital environments. He is the president of the Society for Learning Analytics Research (SoLAR) and helped found the annual International Conference on Learning Analytics and Knowledge.
- Dr. Linda Baer: Dr. Baer has served more than thirty years in numerous executive level positions in higher education. She is currently a senior consultant with i4 Solutions. Previously, Dr. Baer served as a Senior Program Officer in Postsecondary Success with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and as Senior Vice Chancellor of Academic and Student Affairs in the Minnesota State College and University System.
- Adam Dell: Adam joined Austin Ventures in May 2010, and currently serves as a director with Civitas Learning. Most recently, Adam was Founder and Managing General Partner of Impact Venture Partners, a venture capital firm focused on information technology investments.
- Dr. Gerardo de los Santos: Dr. de los Santos serves as President and Chief Executive Officer of the League for Innovation in the Community College, an international association dedicated to catalyzing the community college movement. He has been a strong advocate for the strategic use of technology and data in community colleges for years, and has published two books focused on helping bridge the digital divide in the United States.
- Dr. Phil Ice: Dr. Ice is currently the Vice President of Research and Development at American Public University System. His research is focused on the impact of new and emerging technologies on cognition in online learning environments and on the strategic use of advanced analytics in supporting student completion.
- Dr. Davis Jenkins: Dr. Jenkins is a senior research associate at the Community College Research Center. He works with colleges and states to find ways to improve educational and employment outcomes for students, particularly those from disadvantaged backgrounds of credentials, and to prepare students to succeed in further education and careers. Dr. Jenkins’ research and thinking have informed the development and spread of innovative approaches to improving student outcomes.
- Phil Komarny: Phil is the CEO, USA, at Robots and Pencils. Formerly the Vice President for Computer and Information Technology/CIO at Seton Hill University, he has served as the institutional catalyst in initiatives that have positioned Seton Hill as a leader in strengthening learning through the use of mobile technology.
- Dr. Nicole Melander: Dr. Melander is the Senior Vice President of Digital Strategy at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (HMH). Prior to joining HMH, Dr. Melander was the CTO for Achieving the Dream, a national reform network dedicated to community college student success and completion. In previous roles, she has served as a senior executive for both Oracle and Microsoft in their education divisions.
- Dr. Lisa Petrides: Dr. Petrides is the president and founder of ISKME (Institute for the Study of Knowledge Management in Education), a global leader in research and practice around data use, open education and social learning in the education sector. Her research and writing are at the forefront of innovation in how education can be made relevant to learning through open access, social learning, information sharing, and knowledge collaboration.
- Dr. Tristan Denley: Dr. Denley serves as Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs at the Tennessee Board of Regents. Prior to that, he was Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs at Austin Peay State University. He is involved in implementing a wide variety of initiatives surrounding college completion and institutional transformation with the use of predictive analytics, including creating Degree Compass.
Civitas Learning’s Founder and CEO, Charles Thornburgh, added: “These leaders will be vital to our continuing efforts to help our college and university partners make the most of their learning data by developing predictive analytics platforms, powering engaging apps, and learning from important work in intervention science.”
About Civitas Learning, Inc.
By building a community of forward-thinking higher education institutions, Civitas Learning™ brings together the best of new technology, design thinking, and data science in its mission to help a million more college students learn well and finish strong. Using a cloud-based, predictive analytics platform and engaging applications, Civitas Learning helps partner institutions bring deep insights to decision makers, and personalized, real-time recommendations directly to the frontlines for students, faculty, and advisors to measurably improve student learning, persistence, and graduation. Civitas Learning serves more than 35 partner institutions and systems in higher education that enroll more 1.3 million students. The historical dataset from these partners currently includes more than 10 million students and 100 million enrollment records. Civitas Learning is based in Austin, Texas. For more information, visit www.civitaslearning.com or email [email protected].
Your homes and cars can be automated and self-serviced. Why can't your storage? From simply asking questions to analyze and troubleshoot your infrastructure, to provisioning storage with snapshots, recovery and replication, your wildest sci-fi dream has come true. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Dan Florea, Director of Product Management at Tintri, will provide a ChatOps demo where you can talk to your storage and manage it from anywhere, through Slack and similar services ...
Mar. 28, 2017 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,438
Imagine having the ability to leverage all of your current technology and to be able to compose it into one resource pool. Now imagine, as your business grows, not having to deploy a complete new appliance to scale your infrastructure. Also imagine a true multi-cloud capability that allows live migration without any modification between cloud environments regardless of whether that cloud is your private cloud or your public AWS, Azure or Google instance. Now think of a world that is not locked i...
Mar. 28, 2017 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 364
SYS-CON Events announced today that Auditwerx will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Auditwerx specializes in SOC 1, SOC 2, and SOC 3 attestation services throughout the U.S. and Canada. As a division of Carr, Riggs & Ingram (CRI), one of the top 20 largest CPA firms nationally, you can expect the resources, skills, and experience of a much larger firm combined with the accessibility and atten...
Mar. 28, 2017 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 324
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Lachapelle, CEO of the Professional Evaluation and Certification Board (PECB), will provide an overview of various initiatives to certifiy the security of connected devices and future trends in ensuring public trust of IoT. Eric Lachapelle is the Chief Executive Officer of the Professional Evaluation and Certification Board (PECB), an international certification body. His role is to help companies and individuals to achieve professional, accredited and worldw...
Mar. 28, 2017 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 820
MongoDB Atlas leverages VPC peering for AWS, a service that allows multiple VPC networks to interact. This includes VPCs that belong to other AWS account holders. By performing cross account VPC peering, users ensure networks that host and communicate their data are secure. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Jay Gordon, a Developer Advocate at MongoDB, will explain how to properly architect your VPC using existing AWS tools and then peer with your MongoDB Atlas cluster. He'll discuss the secur...
Mar. 28, 2017 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 396
Deep learning has been very successful in social sciences and specially areas where there is a lot of data. Trading is another field that can be viewed as social science with a lot of data. With the advent of Deep Learning and Big Data technologies for efficient computation, we are finally able to use the same methods in investment management as we would in face recognition or in making chat-bots. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Gaurav Chakravorty, co-founder and Head of Strategy Development ...
Mar. 28, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,763
SYS-CON Events announced today that Linux Academy, the foremost online Linux and cloud training platform and community, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Linux Academy was founded on the belief that providing high-quality, in-depth training should be available at an affordable price. Industry leaders in quality training, provided services, and student certification passes, its goal is to c...
Mar. 28, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,104
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm. In his Day 3 Keynote at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will explore t...
Mar. 28, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,076
In his session at Cloud Expo, Alan Winters, an entertainment executive/TV producer turned serial entrepreneur, will present a success story of an entrepreneur who has both suffered through and benefited from offshore development across multiple businesses: The smart choice, or how to select the right offshore development partner Warning signs, or how to minimize chances of making the wrong choice Collaboration, or how to establish the most effective work processes Budget control, or how to m...
Mar. 28, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 351
"delaPlex is a software development company. We do team-based outsourcing development," explained Mark Rivers, COO and Co-founder of delaPlex Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Mar. 28, 2017 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 9,605
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Mar. 28, 2017 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,083
SYS-CON Events announced today that Technologic Systems Inc., an embedded systems solutions company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Technologic Systems is an embedded systems company with headquarters in Fountain Hills, Arizona. They have been in business for 32 years, helping more than 8,000 OEM customers and building over a hundred COTS products that have never been discontinued. Technologic Systems’ pr...
Mar. 28, 2017 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,654
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Mar. 28, 2017 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,177
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Mar. 28, 2017 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 14,249
What if you could build a web application that could support true web-scale traffic without having to ever provision or manage a single server? Sounds magical, and it is! In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Munns, Senior Developer Advocate for Serverless Applications at Amazon Web Services, will show how to build a serverless website that scales automatically using services like AWS Lambda, Amazon API Gateway, and Amazon S3. We will review several frameworks that can help you build serverle...
Mar. 28, 2017 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,194