|By PR Newswire||
|August 21, 2014 07:21 PM EDT||
SUNNYVALE, Calif., Aug. 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- First and foremost, let me apologize for you being drawn into the dispute between Macronix and Spansion. It was never our intention to disrupt our relationship as we assert our intellectual property rights.
Macronix has been quite active in issuing their own press releases, creating quite a distorted picture of this case and Spansion's intentions. I thought that it would be useful to outline the salient facts of the case and our efforts to resolve it.
- Spansion filed its original case with the ITC and in District Court on August 1, 2013. Prior to that we had been talking with Macronix for almost one year to resolve our business dispute but were forced to file the case as Macronix broke off talks. We have remained diligent in repeating our request to settle and re-initiate talks to license Spansion's broad product portfolio.
- Spansion is asserting the same set of patents it successfully asserted against Samsung, resulting in a settlement that included significant monetary payments to Spansion. So… you can be confident that the patents have been successfully battle-tested in court. These patents are also part of the portfolio that companies like Hynix and ISSI have licensed from Spansion. We are highly confident we will win our case, scheduled to begin trial on October 2nd, since we are simply asserting the same proven patents.
- The situation for Macronix is quite different. They also filed in the ITC. Their case is quite weak and we believe this is why they are being so aggressive in the press. In the ITC, they face three substantial hurdles. We believe we will prevail on each of these issues, while we only need to succeed on one to prevail.
- Domestic Industry. As you know, Macronix is a Taiwanese-based company, yet they have filed in a court (ITC) specifically established to protect US-industry. We believe this is a very weak part of their case against us, for if they fail to prove they are a US-domestic company, with investments in the US, they cannot obtain any judgment from the ITC and their case will be dismissed. They are headquartered in Taiwan, listed on the Taiwan stock exchange and have only a few employees in California. We believe the judge will not accept they are a US-based company and will dismiss the case for this reason alone.
- Asserted Patents. Macronix is asserting three patents against Spansion. Typical of many fast-follower companies, they have filed patents for circuits that are either irrelevant to our products or that are invalid and have been used by the rest of the industry for years. In fact, we had parts in the market with their "inventions" long before they filed these patents. Their patents are also "obvious to anyone skilled in the art" of Flash. We have filed for inter partes review of these patents with the US Patent Office to have all three of their patents cancelled. Moreover, even if valid, neither Spansion nor its customers infringe those patents. We believe that we will be successful with all three of these patents.
- Public Interest. As part of this particular ITC case, the ITC has asked the judge to listen to evidence from the public and public officials regarding the impact of a possible ruling against Spansion. If their case is decided against us, the judge and the Commission will hear from industry leaders, GM, Delphi, members of Congress, mayors and labor leaders regarding the fact that a decision against Spansion will not be in the best interest of the United States. Since the mission of the ITC is to protect US-Industry, we believe the Commission will rule in our favor.
- Because of the weakness of their first filing in the ITC, Macronix filed additional lawsuits in the ITC and district court, each asserting weak patents and weak domestic-industry arguments, while still trying to correct some of the legal mistakes of their original filing. Fortunately for us, their filings have done nothing to improve the strength of their case. We see nothing in their new cases that are notably different. This includes their latest press releases claiming our MCU as subject to their patents. And you should note that the judge has not made any ruling regarding whether it would be proper to include MCUs within the scope of any final order, the judge has simply stated it will consider this issue.
- Throughout their rhetoric, Spansion has attempted to settle with Macronix. We've sent our CEO, CFO and SVP of Strategy to meet with them and to try and negotiate a settlement. Each attempt has been rebuffed. We've also attempted many meetings through our legal representatives, some court mandated, to no avail.
Please let me know if I can answer or address any specific concerns. We would be more than happy to sit with you or your attorneys and discuss any of this in more detail. Legal cases can get complicated quickly, but we're more than willing to spend the time to explain any of it completely.
I hope this helps explain where we are and what Spansion is doing to resolve this issue. We again apologize for the trouble this is causing you. Our priority is and always will be your satisfaction.
- Spansion newsroom: http://news.spansion.com
- Spansion blog: http://core.spansion.com/blog
- Spansion on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Spansion
- Spansion on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Spansion
Spansion(R), the Spansion logo, and combinations thereof, are trademarks and registered trademarks of Spansion LLC in the United States and other countries. Other names used are for informational purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.
SOURCE Spansion Inc.
A critical component of any IoT project is what to do with all the data being generated. This data needs to be captured, processed, structured, and stored in a way to facilitate different kinds of queries. Traditional data warehouse and analytical systems are mature technologies that can be used to handle certain kinds of queries, but they are not always well suited to many problems, particularly when there is a need for real-time insights.
Jan. 19, 2017 06:30 PM EST Reads: 6,313
Providing secure, mobile access to sensitive data sets is a critical element in realizing the full potential of cloud computing. However, large data caches remain inaccessible to edge devices for reasons of security, size, format or limited viewing capabilities. Medical imaging, computer aided design and seismic interpretation are just a few examples of industries facing this challenge. Rather than fighting for incremental gains by pulling these datasets to edge devices, we need to embrace the i...
Jan. 19, 2017 05:30 PM EST Reads: 3,624
Web Real-Time Communication APIs have quickly revolutionized what browsers are capable of. In addition to video and audio streams, we can now bi-directionally send arbitrary data over WebRTC's PeerConnection Data Channels. With the advent of Progressive Web Apps and new hardware APIs such as WebBluetooh and WebUSB, we can finally enable users to stitch together the Internet of Things directly from their browsers while communicating privately and securely in a decentralized way.
Jan. 19, 2017 05:15 PM EST Reads: 3,099
All organizations that did not originate this moment have a pre-existing culture as well as legacy technology and processes that can be more or less amenable to DevOps implementation. That organizational culture is influenced by the personalities and management styles of Executive Management, the wider culture in which the organization is situated, and the personalities of key team members at all levels of the organization. This culture and entrenched interests usually throw a wrench in the work...
Jan. 19, 2017 05:15 PM EST Reads: 1,285
@DevOpsSummit at Cloud taking place June 6-8, 2017, at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long developm...
Jan. 19, 2017 04:45 PM EST Reads: 3,469
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Jan. 19, 2017 04:45 PM EST Reads: 3,754
"We're bringing out a new application monitoring system to the DevOps space. It manages large enterprise applications that are distributed throughout a node in many enterprises and we manage them as one collective," explained Kevin Barnes, President of eCube Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 19, 2017 04:15 PM EST Reads: 5,401
In his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager for Adobe Campaign, explored the key ingredients of cross-channel marketing in a digital world. Learn how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects).
Jan. 19, 2017 04:00 PM EST Reads: 5,427
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint, a leading digital experience intelligence company, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Catchpoint Systems is a leading Digital Performance Analytics company that provides unparalleled insight into your customer-critical services to help you consistently deliver an amazing customer experience. Designed for digital business, C...
Jan. 19, 2017 03:45 PM EST Reads: 1,790
A look across the tech landscape at the disruptive technologies that are increasing in prominence and speculate as to which will be most impactful for communications – namely, AI and Cloud Computing. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Curtis Peterson, VP of Operations at RingCentral, will highlight the current challenges of these transformative technologies and share strategies for preparing your organization for these changes. This “view from the top” will outline the latest trends and developm...
Jan. 19, 2017 03:30 PM EST Reads: 1,031
When you focus on a journey from up-close, you look at your own technical and cultural history and how you changed it for the benefit of the customer. This was our starting point: too many integration issues, 13 SWP days and very long cycles. It was evident that in this fast-paced industry we could no longer afford this reality. We needed something that would take us beyond reducing the development lifecycles, CI and Agile methodologies. We made a fundamental difference, even changed our culture...
Jan. 19, 2017 02:15 PM EST Reads: 1,055
@ThingsExpo has been named the ‘Top WebRTC Influencer' by iTrend. iTrend processes millions of conversations, tweets, interactions, news articles, press releases, blog posts - and extract meaning form them and analyzes mobile and desktop software platforms used to communicate, various metadata (such as geo location), and automation tools. In overall placement, @ThingsExpo ranked as the number one ‘WebRTC Influencer' followed by @DevOpsSummit at 55th.
Jan. 19, 2017 02:00 PM EST Reads: 4,780
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jan. 19, 2017 01:15 PM EST Reads: 5,668
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Jan. 19, 2017 01:15 PM EST Reads: 5,161
@DevOpsSummit taking place June 6-8, 2017 at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Jan. 19, 2017 01:15 PM EST Reads: 3,531