|By PR Newswire||
|August 21, 2014 07:21 PM EDT||
SUNNYVALE, Calif., Aug. 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- First and foremost, let me apologize for you being drawn into the dispute between Macronix and Spansion. It was never our intention to disrupt our relationship as we assert our intellectual property rights.
Macronix has been quite active in issuing their own press releases, creating quite a distorted picture of this case and Spansion's intentions. I thought that it would be useful to outline the salient facts of the case and our efforts to resolve it.
- Spansion filed its original case with the ITC and in District Court on August 1, 2013. Prior to that we had been talking with Macronix for almost one year to resolve our business dispute but were forced to file the case as Macronix broke off talks. We have remained diligent in repeating our request to settle and re-initiate talks to license Spansion's broad product portfolio.
- Spansion is asserting the same set of patents it successfully asserted against Samsung, resulting in a settlement that included significant monetary payments to Spansion. So… you can be confident that the patents have been successfully battle-tested in court. These patents are also part of the portfolio that companies like Hynix and ISSI have licensed from Spansion. We are highly confident we will win our case, scheduled to begin trial on October 2nd, since we are simply asserting the same proven patents.
- The situation for Macronix is quite different. They also filed in the ITC. Their case is quite weak and we believe this is why they are being so aggressive in the press. In the ITC, they face three substantial hurdles. We believe we will prevail on each of these issues, while we only need to succeed on one to prevail.
- Domestic Industry. As you know, Macronix is a Taiwanese-based company, yet they have filed in a court (ITC) specifically established to protect US-industry. We believe this is a very weak part of their case against us, for if they fail to prove they are a US-domestic company, with investments in the US, they cannot obtain any judgment from the ITC and their case will be dismissed. They are headquartered in Taiwan, listed on the Taiwan stock exchange and have only a few employees in California. We believe the judge will not accept they are a US-based company and will dismiss the case for this reason alone.
- Asserted Patents. Macronix is asserting three patents against Spansion. Typical of many fast-follower companies, they have filed patents for circuits that are either irrelevant to our products or that are invalid and have been used by the rest of the industry for years. In fact, we had parts in the market with their "inventions" long before they filed these patents. Their patents are also "obvious to anyone skilled in the art" of Flash. We have filed for inter partes review of these patents with the US Patent Office to have all three of their patents cancelled. Moreover, even if valid, neither Spansion nor its customers infringe those patents. We believe that we will be successful with all three of these patents.
- Public Interest. As part of this particular ITC case, the ITC has asked the judge to listen to evidence from the public and public officials regarding the impact of a possible ruling against Spansion. If their case is decided against us, the judge and the Commission will hear from industry leaders, GM, Delphi, members of Congress, mayors and labor leaders regarding the fact that a decision against Spansion will not be in the best interest of the United States. Since the mission of the ITC is to protect US-Industry, we believe the Commission will rule in our favor.
- Because of the weakness of their first filing in the ITC, Macronix filed additional lawsuits in the ITC and district court, each asserting weak patents and weak domestic-industry arguments, while still trying to correct some of the legal mistakes of their original filing. Fortunately for us, their filings have done nothing to improve the strength of their case. We see nothing in their new cases that are notably different. This includes their latest press releases claiming our MCU as subject to their patents. And you should note that the judge has not made any ruling regarding whether it would be proper to include MCUs within the scope of any final order, the judge has simply stated it will consider this issue.
- Throughout their rhetoric, Spansion has attempted to settle with Macronix. We've sent our CEO, CFO and SVP of Strategy to meet with them and to try and negotiate a settlement. Each attempt has been rebuffed. We've also attempted many meetings through our legal representatives, some court mandated, to no avail.
Please let me know if I can answer or address any specific concerns. We would be more than happy to sit with you or your attorneys and discuss any of this in more detail. Legal cases can get complicated quickly, but we're more than willing to spend the time to explain any of it completely.
I hope this helps explain where we are and what Spansion is doing to resolve this issue. We again apologize for the trouble this is causing you. Our priority is and always will be your satisfaction.
- Spansion newsroom: http://news.spansion.com
- Spansion blog: http://core.spansion.com/blog
- Spansion on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Spansion
- Spansion on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Spansion
Spansion(R), the Spansion logo, and combinations thereof, are trademarks and registered trademarks of Spansion LLC in the United States and other countries. Other names used are for informational purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.
SOURCE Spansion Inc.
The Internet of Things (IoT), in all its myriad manifestations, has great potential. Much of that potential comes from the evolving data management and analytic (DMA) technologies and processes that allow us to gain insight from all of the IoT data that can be generated and gathered. This potential may never be met as those data sets are tied to specific industry verticals and single markets, with no clear way to use IoT data and sensor analytics to fulfill the hype being given the IoT today.
Oct. 27, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,867
In the 21st century, security on the Internet has become one of the most important issues. We hear more and more about cyber-attacks on the websites of large corporations, banks and even small businesses. When online we’re concerned not only for our own safety but also our privacy. We have to know that hackers usually start their preparation by investigating the private information of admins – the habits, interests, visited websites and so on. On the other hand, our own security is in danger bec...
Oct. 27, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 421
Enterprises have been using both Big Data and virtualization for years. Until recently, however, most enterprises have not combined the two. Big Data's demands for higher levels of performance, the ability to control quality-of-service (QoS), and the ability to adhere to SLAs have kept it on bare metal, apart from the modern data center cloud. With recent technology innovations, we've seen the advantages of bare metal erode to such a degree that the enhanced flexibility and reduced costs that cl...
Oct. 27, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 452
Without lifecycle traceability and visibility across the tool chain, stakeholders from Planning-to-Ops have limited insight and answers to who, what, when, why and how across the DevOps lifecycle. This impacts the ability to deliver high quality software at the needed velocity to drive positive business outcomes. In his session at @DevOpsSummit 19th Cloud Expo, Eric Robertson, General Manager at CollabNet, will show how customers are able to achieve a level of transparency that enables everyon...
Oct. 27, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,361
Donna Yasay, President of HomeGrid Forum, today discussed with a panel of technology peers how certification programs are at the forefront of interoperability, and the answer for vendors looking to keep up with today's growing industry for smart home innovation. "To ensure multi-vendor interoperability, accredited industry certification programs should be used for every product to provide credibility and quality assurance for retail and carrier based customers looking to add ever increasing num...
Oct. 27, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 754
“Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CloudBerry Backup is a leading cross-platform cloud backup and disaster recovery solution integrated with major public cloud services, such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform.
Oct. 27, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,506
In the next forty months – just over three years – businesses will undergo extraordinary changes. The exponential growth of digitization and machine learning will see a step function change in how businesses create value, satisfy customers, and outperform their competition. In the next forty months companies will take the actions that will see them get to the next level of the game called Capitalism. Or they won’t – game over. The winners of today and tomorrow think differently, follow different...
Oct. 27, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,112
@DevOpsSummit has been named the ‘Top DevOps Influencer' by iTrend. iTrend processes millions of conversations, tweets, interactions, news articles, press releases, blog posts - and extract meaning form them and analyzes mobile and desktop software platforms used to communicate, various metadata (such as geo location), and automation tools. In overall placement, @DevOpsSummit ranked as the number one ‘DevOps Influencer' followed by @CloudExpo at third, and @MicroservicesE at 24th.
Oct. 27, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 4,121
In his general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, will discuss how Dice leverages data insights and tools to help both tech professionals and recruiters better understand how skills relate to each other and which skills are in high demand using interactive visualizations and salary indicator tools to maximize earning potential. Manish Dixit is VP of Product and Engineering at Dice. As the leader of the Product, Engineering and Data Sciences team a...
Oct. 27, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 723
The security needs of IoT environments require a strong, proven approach to maintain security, trust and privacy in their ecosystem. Assurance and protection of device identity, secure data encryption and authentication are the key security challenges organizations are trying to address when integrating IoT devices. This holds true for IoT applications in a wide range of industries, for example, healthcare, consumer devices, and manufacturing. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lancen LaChance, vic...
Oct. 27, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,830
Regulatory requirements exist to promote the controlled sharing of information, while protecting the privacy and/or security of the information. Regulations for each type of information have their own set of rules, policies, and guidelines. Cloud Service Providers (CSP) are faced with increasing demand for services at decreasing prices. Demonstrating and maintaining compliance with regulations is a nontrivial task and doing so against numerous sets of regulatory requirements can be daunting task...
Oct. 27, 2016 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,860
What are the successful IoT innovations from emerging markets? What are the unique challenges and opportunities from these markets? How did the constraints in connectivity among others lead to groundbreaking insights? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Carmen Feliciano, a Principal at AMDG, will answer all these questions and share how you can apply IoT best practices and frameworks from the emerging markets to your own business.
Oct. 27, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,691
Between the mockups and specs produced by analysts, and resulting applications built by developers, there exists a gulf where projects fail, costs spiral, and applications disappoint. Methodologies like Agile attempt to address this with intensified communication, with partial success but many limitations. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Charles Kendrick, CTO at Isomorphic Software, will present a revolutionary model enabled by new technologies. Learn how business and deve...
Oct. 27, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,534
Big Data has been changing the world. IoT fuels the further transformation recently. How are Big Data and IoT related? In his session at @BigDataExpo, Tony Shan, a renowned visionary and thought leader, will explore the interplay of Big Data and IoT. He will anatomize Big Data and IoT separately in terms of what, which, why, where, when, who, how and how much. He will then analyze the relationship between IoT and Big Data, specifically the drilldown of how the 4Vs of Big Data (Volume, Variety,...
Oct. 27, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,591
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftNet Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SoftNet Solutions specializes in Enterprise Solutions for Hadoop and Big Data. It offers customers the most open, robust, and value-conscious portfolio of solutions, services, and tools for the shortest route to success with Big Data. The unique differentiator is the ability to architect and ...
Oct. 27, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,127