|By PR Newswire||
|August 21, 2014 07:21 PM EDT||
SUNNYVALE, Calif., Aug. 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- First and foremost, let me apologize for you being drawn into the dispute between Macronix and Spansion. It was never our intention to disrupt our relationship as we assert our intellectual property rights.
Macronix has been quite active in issuing their own press releases, creating quite a distorted picture of this case and Spansion's intentions. I thought that it would be useful to outline the salient facts of the case and our efforts to resolve it.
- Spansion filed its original case with the ITC and in District Court on August 1, 2013. Prior to that we had been talking with Macronix for almost one year to resolve our business dispute but were forced to file the case as Macronix broke off talks. We have remained diligent in repeating our request to settle and re-initiate talks to license Spansion's broad product portfolio.
- Spansion is asserting the same set of patents it successfully asserted against Samsung, resulting in a settlement that included significant monetary payments to Spansion. So… you can be confident that the patents have been successfully battle-tested in court. These patents are also part of the portfolio that companies like Hynix and ISSI have licensed from Spansion. We are highly confident we will win our case, scheduled to begin trial on October 2nd, since we are simply asserting the same proven patents.
- The situation for Macronix is quite different. They also filed in the ITC. Their case is quite weak and we believe this is why they are being so aggressive in the press. In the ITC, they face three substantial hurdles. We believe we will prevail on each of these issues, while we only need to succeed on one to prevail.
- Domestic Industry. As you know, Macronix is a Taiwanese-based company, yet they have filed in a court (ITC) specifically established to protect US-industry. We believe this is a very weak part of their case against us, for if they fail to prove they are a US-domestic company, with investments in the US, they cannot obtain any judgment from the ITC and their case will be dismissed. They are headquartered in Taiwan, listed on the Taiwan stock exchange and have only a few employees in California. We believe the judge will not accept they are a US-based company and will dismiss the case for this reason alone.
- Asserted Patents. Macronix is asserting three patents against Spansion. Typical of many fast-follower companies, they have filed patents for circuits that are either irrelevant to our products or that are invalid and have been used by the rest of the industry for years. In fact, we had parts in the market with their "inventions" long before they filed these patents. Their patents are also "obvious to anyone skilled in the art" of Flash. We have filed for inter partes review of these patents with the US Patent Office to have all three of their patents cancelled. Moreover, even if valid, neither Spansion nor its customers infringe those patents. We believe that we will be successful with all three of these patents.
- Public Interest. As part of this particular ITC case, the ITC has asked the judge to listen to evidence from the public and public officials regarding the impact of a possible ruling against Spansion. If their case is decided against us, the judge and the Commission will hear from industry leaders, GM, Delphi, members of Congress, mayors and labor leaders regarding the fact that a decision against Spansion will not be in the best interest of the United States. Since the mission of the ITC is to protect US-Industry, we believe the Commission will rule in our favor.
- Because of the weakness of their first filing in the ITC, Macronix filed additional lawsuits in the ITC and district court, each asserting weak patents and weak domestic-industry arguments, while still trying to correct some of the legal mistakes of their original filing. Fortunately for us, their filings have done nothing to improve the strength of their case. We see nothing in their new cases that are notably different. This includes their latest press releases claiming our MCU as subject to their patents. And you should note that the judge has not made any ruling regarding whether it would be proper to include MCUs within the scope of any final order, the judge has simply stated it will consider this issue.
- Throughout their rhetoric, Spansion has attempted to settle with Macronix. We've sent our CEO, CFO and SVP of Strategy to meet with them and to try and negotiate a settlement. Each attempt has been rebuffed. We've also attempted many meetings through our legal representatives, some court mandated, to no avail.
Please let me know if I can answer or address any specific concerns. We would be more than happy to sit with you or your attorneys and discuss any of this in more detail. Legal cases can get complicated quickly, but we're more than willing to spend the time to explain any of it completely.
I hope this helps explain where we are and what Spansion is doing to resolve this issue. We again apologize for the trouble this is causing you. Our priority is and always will be your satisfaction.
- Spansion newsroom: http://news.spansion.com
- Spansion blog: http://core.spansion.com/blog
- Spansion on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Spansion
- Spansion on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Spansion
Spansion(R), the Spansion logo, and combinations thereof, are trademarks and registered trademarks of Spansion LLC in the United States and other countries. Other names used are for informational purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.
SOURCE Spansion Inc.
@ThingsExpo has been named the Most Influential ‘Smart Cities - IIoT' Account and @BigDataExpo has been named fourteenth by Right Relevance (RR), which provides curated information and intelligence on approximately 50,000 topics. In addition, Right Relevance provides an Insights offering that combines the above Topics and Influencers information with real time conversations to provide actionable intelligence with visualizations to enable decision making. The Insights service is applicable to eve...
Apr. 27, 2017 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,813
Building a cross-cloud operational model can be a daunting task. Per-cloud silos are not the answer, but neither is a fully generic abstraction plane that strips out capabilities unique to a particular provider. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Wolf, VP & Chief Technology Officer, Global Field & Industry at VMware, will discuss how successful organizations approach cloud operations and management, with insights into where operations should be centralized and when it’s best to decentraliz...
Apr. 27, 2017 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 777
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm.
Apr. 27, 2017 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,025
Cybersecurity is a critical component of software development in many industries including medical devices. However, code is not always written to be robust or secure from the unknown or the unexpected. This gap can make medical devices susceptible to cybersecurity attacks ranging from compromised personal health information to life-sustaining treatment. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Clark Fortney, Software Engineer at Battelle, will discuss how programming oversight using key methods can incre...
Apr. 27, 2017 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,951
The goal of Continuous Testing is to shift testing left to find defects earlier and release software faster. This can be achieved by integrating a set of open source functional and performance testing tools in the early stages of your software delivery lifecycle. There is one process that binds all application delivery stages together into one well-orchestrated machine: Continuous Testing. Continuous Testing is the conveyor belt between the Software Factory and production stages. Artifacts are ...
Apr. 27, 2017 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,265
In recent years, containers have taken the world by storm. Companies of all sizes and industries have realized the massive benefits of containers, such as unprecedented mobility, higher hardware utilization, and increased flexibility and agility; however, many containers today are non-persistent. Containers without persistence miss out on many benefits, and in many cases simply pass the responsibility of persistence onto other infrastructure, adding additional complexity.
Apr. 27, 2017 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,286
Quickly find the root cause of complex database problems slowing down your applications. Up to 88% of all application performance issues are related to the database. DPA’s unique response time analysis shows you exactly what needs fixing - in four clicks or less. Optimize performance anywhere. Database Performance Analyzer monitors on-premises, on VMware®, and in the Cloud, including Amazon® AWS and Azure™ virtual machines.
Apr. 27, 2017 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,965
Most technology leaders, contemporary and from the hardware era, are reshaping their businesses to do software in the hope of capturing value in IoT. Although IoT is relatively new in the market, it has already gone through many promotional terms such as IoE, IoX, SDX, Edge/Fog, Mist Compute, etc. Ultimately, irrespective of the name, it is about deriving value from independent software assets participating in an ecosystem as one comprehensive solution.
Apr. 27, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 554
SYS-CON Events announced today that Progress, a global leader in application development, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Enterprises today are rapidly adopting the cloud, while continuing to retain business-critical/sensitive data inside the firewall. This is creating two separate data silos – one inside the firewall and the other outside the firewall. Cloud ISVs oft...
Apr. 27, 2017 03:28 PM EDT Reads: 256
Developers want to create better apps faster. Static clouds are giving way to scalable systems, with dynamic resource allocation and application monitoring. You won't hear that chant from users on any picket line, but helping developers to create better apps faster is the mission of Lee Atchison, principal cloud architect and advocate at New Relic Inc., based in San Francisco. His singular job is to understand and drive the industry in the areas of cloud architecture, microservices, scalability ...
Apr. 27, 2017 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,572
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named "Platinum Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and 21st International Cloud Expo, which will take place in November in Silicon Valley, California.
Apr. 27, 2017 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,427
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Apr. 27, 2017 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,299
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm. In his Day 3 Keynote at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will explore t...
Apr. 27, 2017 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 789
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Apr. 27, 2017 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,461
New competitors, disruptive technologies, and growing expectations are pushing every business to both adopt and deliver new digital services. This ‘Digital Transformation’ demands rapid delivery and continuous iteration of new competitive services via multiple channels, which in turn demands new service delivery techniques – including DevOps. In this power panel at @DevOpsSummit 20th Cloud Expo, moderated by DevOps Conference Co-Chair Andi Mann, panelists will examine how DevOps helps to meet th...
Apr. 27, 2017 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,590