|By Business Wire||
|August 25, 2014 03:00 AM EDT||
The storage business is one of Toshiba’s (TOKYO:6502) strategic focus businesses, alongside energy and healthcare. Our data storage products, such as HDD and SSD, are the key components of the storage business, along with NAND Flash, and we will make our business more competitive and larger by supporting cloud and social network service businesses that are expected to see rapid expansion.
HDD responsible for storing large amount of data and SSD responsible for high speed processing are seen as co-existing, complementing each other's characteristics. While offering a wide line-up of storage products, our main focus will be the enterprise market and the following products and targets.
- Near line HDD: Expand market share by increasing the capacity.
- Enterprise SSD: Gain market share by utilizing advantages of in-house NAND flash memory and expanding line-up for high speed processing storage at data centers.
Through these measures, we aim to expand HDD market share to more than 20% in 2016. We aim to gain more than a 30% share of market of SSD (SAS interface) for data centers in the same year.
We will expand into high value-added business area such as software for storage systems and solution (appliances), etc. as a way to further expand and improve the profitability of the storage products business.
Industry’s utilization of digital data will continue to grow. It is estimated that data generated worldwide will continue to expand, to reach 44 zettabytes in 2020 annually. Most notably, in a movement that can be called the big data revolution, a new market is being born that requires new computer architecture to save and analyze petabyte-class large scale data at a time, at a very high speed.
Trends in storage products business
- To September 2009: Expand HDD business, specializing in products for such applications as PCs, automotive and portable music players.
- October 2009: Enter enterprise HDD business by acquiring Fujitsu Limited’s HDD business
- July 2011: Integrate memory and SSD business for consumers and industry to establish "Semiconductor & Storage Company". Productize enterprise SSD by integrating the storage products business
- May 2012: Line up 3.5-inch HDD for both consumer and enterprise by taking over part of the 3.5-inch HDD business from WDC
- Toshiba is sole company able to deliver all storage products for clients and enterprises, such as NAND, SSD and HDD
Toshiba Corporation, a Fortune 500 company, channels world-class capabilities in advanced electronic and electrical product and systems into five strategic business domains: Energy & Infrastructure, Community Solutions, Healthcare Systems & Services, Electronic Devices & Components, and Lifestyles Products & Services. Guided by the principles of The Basic Commitment of the Toshiba Group, “Committed to People, Committed to the Future”, Toshiba promotes global operations towards securing “Growth Through Creativity and Innovation”, and is contributing to the achievement of a world in which people everywhere live in safe, secure and comfortable society.
Founded in Tokyo in 1875, today’s Toshiba is at the heart of a global
network of over 590 consolidated companies employing over 200,000 people
worldwide, with annual sales surpassing 6.5 trillion yen (US$63 billion).
To find out more about Toshiba, visit www.toshiba.co.jp/index.htm
Dec. 10, 2016 07:30 PM EST Reads: 1,784
Dec. 10, 2016 07:00 PM EST Reads: 4,121
Dec. 10, 2016 06:45 PM EST Reads: 1,074
Dec. 10, 2016 06:30 PM EST Reads: 998
Dec. 10, 2016 06:30 PM EST Reads: 1,939
Dec. 10, 2016 06:30 PM EST Reads: 1,517
Dec. 10, 2016 06:15 PM EST Reads: 1,047
Dec. 10, 2016 05:30 PM EST Reads: 974
Dec. 10, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 2,355
Dec. 10, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 1,393
Dec. 10, 2016 04:30 PM EST Reads: 1,347
Dec. 10, 2016 04:30 PM EST Reads: 1,812
Dec. 10, 2016 04:30 PM EST Reads: 1,903
Dec. 10, 2016 03:45 PM EST Reads: 903
Dec. 10, 2016 03:45 PM EST Reads: 1,317