|By Marketwired .||
|August 26, 2014 01:31 PM EDT||
BELLEVUE, WA--(Marketwired - August 26, 2014) - 4G Americas, a wireless industry trade association representing the 3GPP family of technologies, today announced the publication of a report by Rysavy Research titled, Beyond LTE: Enabling the Mobile Broadband Explosion. The report compares on multiple levels the mobile broadband technologies of today, as well as the future technologies that are being standardized or planned, and their ability to deliver greater performance in the increasingly complex and challenging mobile computing industry. Comparisons that are provided in the report include throughput speeds for uplink and downlink, spectral capacity, latency, scope and scale, and other important features.
"Major developments for the mobile industry this past year include rapid deployment of 4G LTE networks with expansion to cover nearly all of the U.S. population, deepening smart device capabilities and more sophisticated approaches for addressing data demand which continues to grow unabated," stated Peter Rysavy, President of Rysavy Research and author of this new report for 4G Americas. "Other new developments in the area of spectrum and regulatory policy, to assuage the explosion of mobile broadband traffic, include urgent calls for additional spectrum, and have led to licensing with complex considerations, such as incentive auctions of TV broadcasting spectrum and spectrum sharing between government and commercial entities."
With 6.4 billion connections today, the 3GPP family of technologies is available on nearly 800 networks in more than 220 countries worldwide. It is anticipated that most of those networks will evolve to LTE. Globally, LTE has more than doubled in mobile connections from 124 million at the 2H 2013 to 282 million at the 2H 2014, and the number of deployments has tripled from 96 to 318 commercial networks during the same timeframe. With the first commercial deployment of LTE-Advanced in South Korea in 2013, there are now 17 commercial LTE-Advanced networks with 30 or more expected by the end of this year.
The following are some of the important observations of the paper:
- Mobile broadband -- encompassing networks, devices and applications -- is becoming one of the most successful and fastest growing industries of all time. Computing itself is transitioning from a PC era to a mobile era with many users never having to use a PC.
- Consumer and business applications have driven data demand until now, but machine-to-machine communication, also called the Internet of Things, will generate progressively higher volumes of traffic in the future.
- Cloud computing is a significant and growing contributor to data demand. Growth drivers include cloud-based data synchronization, backup, applications, and streaming media.
- The wireless industry is addressing exploding data demand through a combination of spectrally more efficient technology, denser deployments, small cells, Heterogeneous Networks (HetNets), self-configuration, self-optimization, use of unlicensed spectrum with Wi-Fi, and the future possibility of LTE operation in unlicensed bands.
- LTE is the global-cellular technology platform of choice for wireless carriers and the fastest mobile broadband technology ever deployed.
- The wireless technology roadmap now extends through International Mobile Telecommunications (IMT)-Advanced, with LTE-Advanced capable of peak theoretical throughput rates exceeding 1 gigabit per second (Gbps). Key capabilities include carrier aggregation, more advanced smart antennas, and better HetNet support.
Technology advancements reviewed in the report include:
- Network Function Virtualization (NFV) and Software-Defined Networking (SDN) tools and architectures to enable operators to reduce network costs, simplify deployment of new services, and scale their networks.
- New Evolved Packet Core (EPC) network that supports both LTE and interoperability with legacy GSM-UMTS radio-access networks and non-3GPP-based radio access networks. As part of EPC, the Policy and Charging Control (PCC) architecture flexibly manages Quality of Service (QoS), enabling new types of applications as well as more granular billing arrangements.
- Small cells are currently being deployed by operators; the industry vision is that millions of small cells will ultimately lead to vast increases in capacity. However, to achieve cost-effective deployment, complex issues must be addressed, including self-optimization, interference management, and backhaul.
- Unlicensed spectrum is playing an ever more important role as a means to increase data capacity. Innovations include tighter Wi-Fi coupling to mobile broadband networks, automatic authentication and network selection, and more secure communications. 3GPP is also studying a version of LTE that will operate in unlicensed spectrum.
And ultimately, the next generation beyond 4G:
- 5G research and development has started for possible networks in 2020 or beyond. Unofficial initial goals include a broad range of usage models, throughput speeds 100 times higher than what is possible today, sub-1-msec latency, and the ability to harness spectrum at extremely high frequencies
Chris Pearson, President of 4G Americas, noted, "It is increasingly evident in this new informational age that mobile broadband is the key enabler of the connected society. LTE continues its momentum throughout the world and the Rysavy report puts the entire wireless ecosystem into perspective."
The white paper, Beyond LTE: Enabling the Mobile Broadband Explosion, and its accompanying slide presentation, was created in collaboration with Rysavy Research by the member companies of 4G Americas and is available for free download at www.4gamericas.org.
About 4G Americas: Unifying the Americas through Mobile Broadband Technology
4G Americas is an industry trade organization composed of leading telecommunications service providers and manufacturers. The organization's mission is to advocate for and foster the advancement and full capabilities of the 3GPP family of mobile broadband technologies, including LTE-Advanced, throughout the ecosystem's networks, services, applications and wirelessly connected devices in the Americas. 4G Americas contributes to the success of 3GPP technologies and their No. 1 place in the region. 4G Americas is headquartered in Bellevue, Wash. More information is available at www.4gamericas.org or www.facebook.com/4gamericas and www.twitter.com/4gamericas.
4G Americas' Board of Governors members include: Alcatel-Lucent, América Móvil, AT&T, Cable & Wireless, Cisco, CommScope, Entel, Ericsson, HP, Mavenir, Nokia, Openwave Mobility, Qualcomm, Rogers, Sprint, T-Mobile USA and Telefónica.
Using new techniques of information modeling, indexing, and processing, new cloud-based systems can support cloud-based workloads previously not possible for high-throughput insurance, banking, and case-based applications. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, John Newton, CTO, Founder and Chairman of Alfresco, described how to scale cloud-based content management repositories to store, manage, and retrieve billions of documents and related information with fast and linear scalability. He addres...
Aug. 24, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,789
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Aug. 24, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,803
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Aug. 24, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,046
Aspose.Total for .NET is the most complete package of all file format APIs for .NET as offered by Aspose. It empowers developers to create, edit, render, print and convert between a wide range of popular document formats within any .NET, C#, ASP.NET and VB.NET applications. Aspose compiles all .NET APIs on a daily basis to ensure that it contains the most up to date versions of each of Aspose .NET APIs. If a new .NET API or a new version of existing APIs is released during the subscription peri...
Aug. 24, 2016 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,775
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Aug. 24, 2016 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,635
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Aug. 24, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,722
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Aug. 24, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,045
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings in the last year, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their back-end AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT – especially in the connected home and office. Amazon is extending its reach by building on its dominant Cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strategy, recently announced Replenishment Services, the Echo/Alexa voice recognition control platform, the 6-7 strategic...
Aug. 24, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,163
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Aug. 24, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,903
Akana has announced the availability of version 8 of its API Management solution. The Akana Platform provides an end-to-end API Management solution for designing, implementing, securing, managing, monitoring, and publishing APIs. It is available as a SaaS platform, on-premises, and as a hybrid deployment. Version 8 introduces a lot of new functionality, all aimed at offering customers the richest API Management capabilities in a way that is easier than ever for API and app developers to use.
Aug. 24, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,391
Kubernetes, Docker and containers are changing the world, and how companies are deploying their software and running their infrastructure. With the shift in how applications are built and deployed, new challenges must be solved. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at19th Cloud Expo, Sebastian Scheele, co-founder of Loodse, will discuss the implications of containerized applications/infrastructures and their impact on the enterprise. In a real world example based on Kubernetes, he will show how to ...
Aug. 24, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,254
Personalization has long been the holy grail of marketing. Simply stated, communicate the most relevant offer to the right person and you will increase sales. To achieve this, you must understand the individual. Consequently, digital marketers developed many ways to gather and leverage customer information to deliver targeted experiences. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lou Casal, Founder and Principal Consultant at Practicala, discussed how the Internet of Things (IoT) has accelerated our abil...
Aug. 24, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,853
With so much going on in this space you could be forgiven for thinking you were always working with yesterday’s technologies. So much change, so quickly. What do you do if you have to build a solution from the ground up that is expected to live in the field for at least 5-10 years? This is the challenge we faced when we looked to refresh our existing 10-year-old custom hardware stack to measure the fullness of trash cans and compactors.
Aug. 24, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,577
SYS-CON Events announced today that Isomorphic Software will exhibit at DevOps Summit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Isomorphic Software provides the SmartClient HTML5/AJAX platform, the most advanced technology for building rich, cutting-edge enterprise web applications for desktop and mobile. SmartClient combines the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software with the simp...
Aug. 24, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,052
The emerging Internet of Everything creates tremendous new opportunities for customer engagement and business model innovation. However, enterprises must overcome a number of critical challenges to bring these new solutions to market. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Michael Martin, CTO/CIO at nfrastructure, outlined these key challenges and recommended approaches for overcoming them to achieve speed and agility in the design, development and implementation of Internet of Everything solutions wi...
Aug. 24, 2016 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,853