|By PR Newswire||
|August 28, 2014 10:00 AM EDT||
DAYTON, Ohio, Aug. 28, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Teradata Corp. (NYSE: TDC), the analytic data platforms, marketing applications and services company, announced winners of its 2014 International Scholarships and its National Merit Scholarships. Given through the company's Teradata Cares program of community philanthropy and involvement, these college grants are given in recognition of students' academic achievements and significant contributions to their communities.
"We're recognizing the next generation of leaders and celebrate their scholastic achievement and spirit of community through our financial support," said Sherri Morgan, director of community relations, Teradata.
Given in support of intellectually talented youth, this year's International Scholars are:
- Taylah Beard of Sydney, Australia. Sheplans to major in chemical engineering at the University of Sydney. Beard is a black belt in martial arts and has played softball for the past seven years. She has earned high distinction for her academic record and she plays clarinet for her school band. Beard is the daughter of Teradata pre-sales consultant Graham Beard.
- Joshua Hunt of London, UK. Heplans to attend the University of Nottingham and major in history. Hunt is a member of his school Rugby Academy, and he runs and plays football. He is also a singer, pianist and guitarist. Hunt is the son of Teradata senior business consultant James Hunt.
- Zheng Zhe Koh of Selangor, Malaysia. Heplans to major in electrical and electronic engineering at the Imperial College London. Koh is a delegate to the Supreme Court for the Harvard Model Congress Asia 2014, Hong Kong. He achieved all A+ marks in his Cambridge A-level examinations and works as a volunteer for US universities' application workshops. Koh is the son of Teradata project manager Meng Seng Koh.
National Merit Scholars
To compete for National Merit Scholarship awards, students must earn a qualifying score in the Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT®), and then fulfill additional requirements. Each student submitted an essay, earned an outstanding academic record, was active in extracurricular school and community activities, was endorsed and recommended by a high school official, and earn SAT scores that confirmed the qualifying test performance. Students who earned 2014 National Merit Scholarships from Teradata are:
- Allison Bell, Mount Carmel High School, San Diego, CA. She was a member of the Mount Carmel High School Swim and Cross Country teams. Bell also studies piano worked as an intern at the Pet Hospital of Penasquitos. She plans to major in Environmental Science at UCLA. Bell is the daughter of Teradata engineer Tom Bell.
- Mackenzie Lighterink, Canyon Crest Academy, San Diego, CA. Lighterink played soccer throughout high school, participating in the school's EVA Conservatory fine arts program and volunteered as a junior lifeguard aide for the city of Encinitas. She earned first place in the Science Essay Competition held by COSMOS at University of California, San Diego. She plans to study neuroscience and psychology at the University of California, Los Angeles. Lighterink is the daughter of Teradata hardware engineers Paul Lighterink and Sandy Stewart.
- Dingxiang Luo, Newport High School, Bellevue, WA. He spends time volunteering in several community activities and plans to study biology at the University of Washington. Luo is the son of software engineer Xiaorong Luo.
- Eric (John) Simerlink, Walnut Hills High School, Cincinnati, OH. He served as president of a Campus Ministry Group and was founder of his high school business and technology club. He has also served as the Web and Mobile Projects Director for the INTERalliance of Greater Cincinnati. Simerlink will major in electrical engineering at Ohio State University. He is the son of Teradata senior business value consultant Dan Simerlink.
Registration is now open for the 2016 National Merit Scholarship program, for employees with high school juniors in the 2014-2015 school year. Registration is also open for the 2015 International Scholarship program for international employees with students completing secondary school and entering university in 2015.
Teradata (NYSE: TDC), a global leader in analytic data platforms, marketing applications, and consulting services, helps organizations become more competitive by increasing the value of their data and customer relationships. Visit Teradata.com for details.
Get to know Teradata:
Teradata and the Teradata logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Teradata Corporation and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and worldwide. PSAT/NMSQT® is a registered trademark of the College Board and National Merit Scholarship Corporation.
So you think you are a DevOps warrior, huh? Put your money (not really, it’s free) where your metrics are and prove it by taking The Ultimate DevOps Geek Quiz Challenge, sponsored by DevOps Summit. Battle through the set of tough questions created by industry thought leaders to earn your bragging rights and win some cool prizes.
Oct. 24, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,975
We're entering the post-smartphone era, where wearable gadgets from watches and fitness bands to glasses and health aids will power the next technological revolution. With mass adoption of wearable devices comes a new data ecosystem that must be protected. Wearables open new pathways that facilitate the tracking, sharing and storing of consumers’ personal health, location and daily activity data. Consumers have some idea of the data these devices capture, but most don’t realize how revealing and...
Oct. 24, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,901
A completely new computing platform is on the horizon. They’re called Microservers by some, ARM Servers by others, and sometimes even ARM-based Servers. No matter what you call them, Microservers will have a huge impact on the data center and on server computing in general. Although few people are familiar with Microservers today, their impact will be felt very soon. This is a new category of computing platform that is available today and is predicted to have triple-digit growth rates for some ...
Oct. 24, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 34,142
Governments around the world are adopting Safe Harbor privacy provisions to protect customer data from leaving sovereign territories. Increasingly, global companies are required to create new instances of their server clusters in multiple countries to keep abreast of these new Safe Harbor laws. Is it worth it? In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Adam Rogers, Managing Director of Anexia, Inc., will discuss how to keep your data legal and still stay in business.
Oct. 24, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,447
SYS-CON Events announced today that MathFreeOn will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MathFreeOn is Software as a Service (SaaS) used in Engineering and Math education. Write scripts and solve math problems online. MathFreeOn provides online courses for beginners or amateurs who have difficulties in writing scripts. In accordance with various mathematical topics, there are more tha...
Oct. 24, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,002
In past @ThingsExpo presentations, Joseph di Paolantonio has explored how various Internet of Things (IoT) and data management and analytics (DMA) solution spaces will come together as sensor analytics ecosystems. This year, in his session at @ThingsExpo, Joseph di Paolantonio from DataArchon, will be adding the numerous Transportation areas, from autonomous vehicles to “Uber for containers.” While IoT data in any one area of Transportation will have a huge impact in that area, combining sensor...
Oct. 24, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 825
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftNet Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SoftNet Solutions specializes in Enterprise Solutions for Hadoop and Big Data. It offers customers the most open, robust, and value-conscious portfolio of solutions, services, and tools for the shortest route to success with Big Data. The unique differentiator is the ability to architect and ...
Oct. 24, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 857
The best way to leverage your Cloud Expo presence as a sponsor and exhibitor is to plan your news announcements around our events. The press covering Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo will have access to these releases and will amplify your news announcements. More than two dozen Cloud companies either set deals at our shows or have announced their mergers and acquisitions at Cloud Expo. Product announcements during our show provide your company with the most reach through our targeted audiences.
Oct. 24, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,702
Successful transition from traditional IT to cloud computing requires three key ingredients: an IT architecture that allows companies to extend their internal best practices to the cloud, a cost point that allows economies of scale, and automated processes that manage risk exposure and maintain regulatory compliance with industry regulations (FFIEC, PCI-DSS, HIPAA, FISMA). The unique combination of VMware, the IBM Cloud, and Cloud Raxak, a 2016 Gartner Cool Vendor in IT Automation, provides a co...
Oct. 24, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,206
More and more brands have jumped on the IoT bandwagon. We have an excess of wearables – activity trackers, smartwatches, smart glasses and sneakers, and more that track seemingly endless datapoints. However, most consumers have no idea what “IoT” means. Creating more wearables that track data shouldn't be the aim of brands; delivering meaningful, tangible relevance to their users should be. We're in a period in which the IoT pendulum is still swinging. Initially, it swung toward "smart for smar...
Oct. 24, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 980
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential Internet of Things Brand by Onalytica in the ‘The Internet of Things Landscape 2015: Top 100 Individuals and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed Twitter conversations around the #IoT debate to uncover the most influential brands and individuals driving the conversation. Onalytica captured data from 56,224 users. The PageRank based methodology they use to extract influencers on a particular topic (tweets mentioning #InternetofThings or #IoT in this ...
Oct. 24, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 8,412
In an era of historic innovation fueled by unprecedented access to data and technology, the low cost and risk of entering new markets has leveled the playing field for business. Today, any ambitious innovator can easily introduce a new application or product that can reinvent business models and transform the client experience. In their Day 2 Keynote at 19th Cloud Expo, Mercer Rowe, IBM Vice President of Strategic Alliances, and Raejeanne Skillern, Intel Vice President of Data Center Group and ...
Oct. 24, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,516
SYS-CON Events announced today that Niagara Networks will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Niagara Networks offers the highest port-density systems, and the most complete Next-Generation Network Visibility systems including Network Packet Brokers, Bypass Switches, and Network TAPs.
Oct. 24, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,311
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Oct. 24, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,866
Traditional on-premises data centers have long been the domain of modern data platforms like Apache Hadoop, meaning companies who build their business on public cloud were challenged to run Big Data processing and analytics at scale. But recent advancements in Hadoop performance, security, and most importantly cloud-native integrations, are giving organizations the ability to truly gain value from all their data. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, David Tishgart, Director of Product Marketing ...
Oct. 24, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,539