|By PR Newswire||
|August 28, 2014 10:00 AM EDT||
DAYTON, Ohio, Aug. 28, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Teradata Corp. (NYSE: TDC), the analytic data platforms, marketing applications and services company, announced winners of its 2014 International Scholarships and its National Merit Scholarships. Given through the company's Teradata Cares program of community philanthropy and involvement, these college grants are given in recognition of students' academic achievements and significant contributions to their communities.
"We're recognizing the next generation of leaders and celebrate their scholastic achievement and spirit of community through our financial support," said Sherri Morgan, director of community relations, Teradata.
Given in support of intellectually talented youth, this year's International Scholars are:
- Taylah Beard of Sydney, Australia. Sheplans to major in chemical engineering at the University of Sydney. Beard is a black belt in martial arts and has played softball for the past seven years. She has earned high distinction for her academic record and she plays clarinet for her school band. Beard is the daughter of Teradata pre-sales consultant Graham Beard.
- Joshua Hunt of London, UK. Heplans to attend the University of Nottingham and major in history. Hunt is a member of his school Rugby Academy, and he runs and plays football. He is also a singer, pianist and guitarist. Hunt is the son of Teradata senior business consultant James Hunt.
- Zheng Zhe Koh of Selangor, Malaysia. Heplans to major in electrical and electronic engineering at the Imperial College London. Koh is a delegate to the Supreme Court for the Harvard Model Congress Asia 2014, Hong Kong. He achieved all A+ marks in his Cambridge A-level examinations and works as a volunteer for US universities' application workshops. Koh is the son of Teradata project manager Meng Seng Koh.
National Merit Scholars
To compete for National Merit Scholarship awards, students must earn a qualifying score in the Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT®), and then fulfill additional requirements. Each student submitted an essay, earned an outstanding academic record, was active in extracurricular school and community activities, was endorsed and recommended by a high school official, and earn SAT scores that confirmed the qualifying test performance. Students who earned 2014 National Merit Scholarships from Teradata are:
- Allison Bell, Mount Carmel High School, San Diego, CA. She was a member of the Mount Carmel High School Swim and Cross Country teams. Bell also studies piano worked as an intern at the Pet Hospital of Penasquitos. She plans to major in Environmental Science at UCLA. Bell is the daughter of Teradata engineer Tom Bell.
- Mackenzie Lighterink, Canyon Crest Academy, San Diego, CA. Lighterink played soccer throughout high school, participating in the school's EVA Conservatory fine arts program and volunteered as a junior lifeguard aide for the city of Encinitas. She earned first place in the Science Essay Competition held by COSMOS at University of California, San Diego. She plans to study neuroscience and psychology at the University of California, Los Angeles. Lighterink is the daughter of Teradata hardware engineers Paul Lighterink and Sandy Stewart.
- Dingxiang Luo, Newport High School, Bellevue, WA. He spends time volunteering in several community activities and plans to study biology at the University of Washington. Luo is the son of software engineer Xiaorong Luo.
- Eric (John) Simerlink, Walnut Hills High School, Cincinnati, OH. He served as president of a Campus Ministry Group and was founder of his high school business and technology club. He has also served as the Web and Mobile Projects Director for the INTERalliance of Greater Cincinnati. Simerlink will major in electrical engineering at Ohio State University. He is the son of Teradata senior business value consultant Dan Simerlink.
Registration is now open for the 2016 National Merit Scholarship program, for employees with high school juniors in the 2014-2015 school year. Registration is also open for the 2015 International Scholarship program for international employees with students completing secondary school and entering university in 2015.
Teradata (NYSE: TDC), a global leader in analytic data platforms, marketing applications, and consulting services, helps organizations become more competitive by increasing the value of their data and customer relationships. Visit Teradata.com for details.
Get to know Teradata:
Teradata and the Teradata logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Teradata Corporation and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and worldwide. PSAT/NMSQT® is a registered trademark of the College Board and National Merit Scholarship Corporation.
Dec. 5, 2016 09:00 PM EST Reads: 4,948
Dec. 5, 2016 08:45 PM EST Reads: 421
Dec. 5, 2016 07:45 PM EST Reads: 2,215
Dec. 5, 2016 07:45 PM EST Reads: 2,082
Dec. 5, 2016 07:15 PM EST Reads: 363
Dec. 5, 2016 07:15 PM EST Reads: 2,060
Dec. 5, 2016 07:15 PM EST Reads: 5,039
Dec. 5, 2016 07:00 PM EST Reads: 1,812
Dec. 5, 2016 07:00 PM EST Reads: 1,845
Dec. 5, 2016 06:15 PM EST Reads: 1,554
Dec. 5, 2016 05:45 PM EST Reads: 1,600
Dec. 5, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 1,690
Dec. 5, 2016 04:30 PM EST Reads: 2,058
Dec. 5, 2016 04:30 PM EST Reads: 875
Dec. 5, 2016 04:15 PM EST Reads: 863