|By PR Newswire||
|August 28, 2014 10:00 AM EDT||
DAYTON, Ohio, Aug. 28, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Teradata Corp. (NYSE: TDC), the analytic data platforms, marketing applications and services company, announced winners of its 2014 International Scholarships and its National Merit Scholarships. Given through the company's Teradata Cares program of community philanthropy and involvement, these college grants are given in recognition of students' academic achievements and significant contributions to their communities.
"We're recognizing the next generation of leaders and celebrate their scholastic achievement and spirit of community through our financial support," said Sherri Morgan, director of community relations, Teradata.
Given in support of intellectually talented youth, this year's International Scholars are:
- Taylah Beard of Sydney, Australia. Sheplans to major in chemical engineering at the University of Sydney. Beard is a black belt in martial arts and has played softball for the past seven years. She has earned high distinction for her academic record and she plays clarinet for her school band. Beard is the daughter of Teradata pre-sales consultant Graham Beard.
- Joshua Hunt of London, UK. Heplans to attend the University of Nottingham and major in history. Hunt is a member of his school Rugby Academy, and he runs and plays football. He is also a singer, pianist and guitarist. Hunt is the son of Teradata senior business consultant James Hunt.
- Zheng Zhe Koh of Selangor, Malaysia. Heplans to major in electrical and electronic engineering at the Imperial College London. Koh is a delegate to the Supreme Court for the Harvard Model Congress Asia 2014, Hong Kong. He achieved all A+ marks in his Cambridge A-level examinations and works as a volunteer for US universities' application workshops. Koh is the son of Teradata project manager Meng Seng Koh.
National Merit Scholars
To compete for National Merit Scholarship awards, students must earn a qualifying score in the Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT®), and then fulfill additional requirements. Each student submitted an essay, earned an outstanding academic record, was active in extracurricular school and community activities, was endorsed and recommended by a high school official, and earn SAT scores that confirmed the qualifying test performance. Students who earned 2014 National Merit Scholarships from Teradata are:
- Allison Bell, Mount Carmel High School, San Diego, CA. She was a member of the Mount Carmel High School Swim and Cross Country teams. Bell also studies piano worked as an intern at the Pet Hospital of Penasquitos. She plans to major in Environmental Science at UCLA. Bell is the daughter of Teradata engineer Tom Bell.
- Mackenzie Lighterink, Canyon Crest Academy, San Diego, CA. Lighterink played soccer throughout high school, participating in the school's EVA Conservatory fine arts program and volunteered as a junior lifeguard aide for the city of Encinitas. She earned first place in the Science Essay Competition held by COSMOS at University of California, San Diego. She plans to study neuroscience and psychology at the University of California, Los Angeles. Lighterink is the daughter of Teradata hardware engineers Paul Lighterink and Sandy Stewart.
- Dingxiang Luo, Newport High School, Bellevue, WA. He spends time volunteering in several community activities and plans to study biology at the University of Washington. Luo is the son of software engineer Xiaorong Luo.
- Eric (John) Simerlink, Walnut Hills High School, Cincinnati, OH. He served as president of a Campus Ministry Group and was founder of his high school business and technology club. He has also served as the Web and Mobile Projects Director for the INTERalliance of Greater Cincinnati. Simerlink will major in electrical engineering at Ohio State University. He is the son of Teradata senior business value consultant Dan Simerlink.
Registration is now open for the 2016 National Merit Scholarship program, for employees with high school juniors in the 2014-2015 school year. Registration is also open for the 2015 International Scholarship program for international employees with students completing secondary school and entering university in 2015.
Teradata (NYSE: TDC), a global leader in analytic data platforms, marketing applications, and consulting services, helps organizations become more competitive by increasing the value of their data and customer relationships. Visit Teradata.com for details.
Get to know Teradata:
Teradata and the Teradata logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Teradata Corporation and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and worldwide. PSAT/NMSQT® is a registered trademark of the College Board and National Merit Scholarship Corporation.
We’ve worked with dozens of early adopters across numerous industries and will debunk common misperceptions, which starts with understanding that many of the connected products we’ll use over the next 5 years are already products, they’re just not yet connected. With an IoT product, time-in-market provides much more essential feedback than ever before. Innovation comes from what you do with the data that the connected product provides in order to enhance the customer experience and optimize busi...
May. 1, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 943
Up until last year, enterprises that were looking into cloud services usually undertook a long-term pilot with one of the large cloud providers, running test and dev workloads in the cloud. With cloud’s transition to mainstream adoption in 2015, and with enterprises migrating more and more workloads into the cloud and in between public and private environments, the single-provider approach must be revisited. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Yoav Mor, multi-cloud solution evangelist at Cloudy...
May. 1, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,450
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Klein, CEO and Co-founder of Rachio, will discuss next generation communities that are using IoT to create more sustainable, intelligent communities. One example is Sterling Ranch, a 10,000 home development that – with the help of Siemens – will integrate IoT technology into the community to provide residents with energy and water savings as well as intelligent security. Everything from stop lights to sprinkler systems to building infrastructures will run ef...
May. 1, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 878
SYS-CON Events announced today that Enzu, a leading provider of cloud hosting solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Enzu’s mission is to be the leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions worldwide. Enzu enables online businesses to use its IT infrastructure to their competitive advantage. By offering a suite of proven hosting and management services, Enzu wants companies to foc...
May. 1, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,003
So, you bought into the current machine learning craze and went on to collect millions/billions of records from this promising new data source. Now, what do you do with them? Too often, the abundance of data quickly turns into an abundance of problems. How do you extract that "magic essence" from your data without falling into the common pitfalls? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Natalia Ponomareva, Software Engineer at Google, will provide tips on how to be successful in large scale machine lear...
May. 1, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,202
SYS-CON Events announced today that Stratoscale, the software company developing the next generation data center operating system, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Stratoscale is revolutionizing the data center with a zero-to-cloud-in-minutes solution. With Stratoscale’s hardware-agnostic, Software Defined Data Center (SDDC) solution to store everything, run anything and scale everywhere...
May. 1, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,559
Digital payments using wearable devices such as smart watches, fitness trackers, and payment wristbands are an increasing area of focus for industry participants, and consumer acceptance from early trials and deployments has encouraged some of the biggest names in technology and banking to continue their push to drive growth in this nascent market. Wearable payment systems may utilize near field communication (NFC), radio frequency identification (RFID), or quick response (QR) codes and barcodes...
May. 1, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 783
Angular 2 is a complete re-write of the popular framework AngularJS. Programming in Angular 2 is greatly simplified – now it's a component-based well-performing framework. This immersive one-day workshop at 18th Cloud Expo, led by Yakov Fain, a Java Champion and a co-founder of the IT consultancy Farata Systems and the product company SuranceBay, will provide you with everything you wanted to know about Angular 2.
May. 1, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,738
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
May. 1, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 787
Unless you don’t use the internet, don’t live in California, or haven’t been paying attention to the recent news… you should be aware that self-driving cars are on their way to becoming a reality. I have seen them – they are real. If you believe in the future reality of self-driving cars, then continue reading on. If you don’t believe in the future possibilities, then I am not sure what to do to convince you other than discuss the very real changes that will roll out with the consumer producti...
May. 1, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 617
SYS-CON Events announced today that Men & Mice, the leading global provider of DNS, DHCP and IP address management overlay solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The Men & Mice Suite overlay solution is already known for its powerful application in heterogeneous operating environments, enabling enterprises to scale without fuss. Building on a solid range of diverse platform support,...
May. 1, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,316
SYS-CON Events announced today that Peak 10, Inc., a national IT infrastructure and cloud services provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Peak 10 provides reliable, tailored data center and network services, cloud and managed services. Its solutions are designed to scale and adapt to customers’ changing business needs, enabling them to lower costs, improve performance and focus inter...
May. 1, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,116
You deployed your app with the Bluemix PaaS and it's gaining some serious traction, so it's time to make some tweaks. Did you design your application in a way that it can scale in the cloud? Were you even thinking about the cloud when you built the app? If not, chances are your app is going to break. Check out this webcast to learn various techniques for designing applications that will scale successfully in Bluemix, for the confidence you need to take your apps to the next level and beyond.
May. 1, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,485
In the world of DevOps there are ‘known good practices’ – aka ‘patterns’ – and ‘known bad practices’ – aka ‘anti-patterns.' Many of these patterns and anti-patterns have been developed from real world experience, especially by the early adopters of DevOps theory; but many are more feasible in theory than in practice, especially for more recent entrants to the DevOps scene. In this power panel at @DevOpsSummit at 18th Cloud Expo, moderated by DevOps Conference Chair Andi Mann, panelists will dis...
May. 1, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 635
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
May. 1, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,087