|By PR Newswire||
|August 28, 2014 10:00 AM EDT||
DAYTON, Ohio, Aug. 28, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Teradata Corp. (NYSE: TDC), the analytic data platforms, marketing applications and services company, announced winners of its 2014 International Scholarships and its National Merit Scholarships. Given through the company's Teradata Cares program of community philanthropy and involvement, these college grants are given in recognition of students' academic achievements and significant contributions to their communities.
"We're recognizing the next generation of leaders and celebrate their scholastic achievement and spirit of community through our financial support," said Sherri Morgan, director of community relations, Teradata.
Given in support of intellectually talented youth, this year's International Scholars are:
- Taylah Beard of Sydney, Australia. Sheplans to major in chemical engineering at the University of Sydney. Beard is a black belt in martial arts and has played softball for the past seven years. She has earned high distinction for her academic record and she plays clarinet for her school band. Beard is the daughter of Teradata pre-sales consultant Graham Beard.
- Joshua Hunt of London, UK. Heplans to attend the University of Nottingham and major in history. Hunt is a member of his school Rugby Academy, and he runs and plays football. He is also a singer, pianist and guitarist. Hunt is the son of Teradata senior business consultant James Hunt.
- Zheng Zhe Koh of Selangor, Malaysia. Heplans to major in electrical and electronic engineering at the Imperial College London. Koh is a delegate to the Supreme Court for the Harvard Model Congress Asia 2014, Hong Kong. He achieved all A+ marks in his Cambridge A-level examinations and works as a volunteer for US universities' application workshops. Koh is the son of Teradata project manager Meng Seng Koh.
National Merit Scholars
To compete for National Merit Scholarship awards, students must earn a qualifying score in the Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT®), and then fulfill additional requirements. Each student submitted an essay, earned an outstanding academic record, was active in extracurricular school and community activities, was endorsed and recommended by a high school official, and earn SAT scores that confirmed the qualifying test performance. Students who earned 2014 National Merit Scholarships from Teradata are:
- Allison Bell, Mount Carmel High School, San Diego, CA. She was a member of the Mount Carmel High School Swim and Cross Country teams. Bell also studies piano worked as an intern at the Pet Hospital of Penasquitos. She plans to major in Environmental Science at UCLA. Bell is the daughter of Teradata engineer Tom Bell.
- Mackenzie Lighterink, Canyon Crest Academy, San Diego, CA. Lighterink played soccer throughout high school, participating in the school's EVA Conservatory fine arts program and volunteered as a junior lifeguard aide for the city of Encinitas. She earned first place in the Science Essay Competition held by COSMOS at University of California, San Diego. She plans to study neuroscience and psychology at the University of California, Los Angeles. Lighterink is the daughter of Teradata hardware engineers Paul Lighterink and Sandy Stewart.
- Dingxiang Luo, Newport High School, Bellevue, WA. He spends time volunteering in several community activities and plans to study biology at the University of Washington. Luo is the son of software engineer Xiaorong Luo.
- Eric (John) Simerlink, Walnut Hills High School, Cincinnati, OH. He served as president of a Campus Ministry Group and was founder of his high school business and technology club. He has also served as the Web and Mobile Projects Director for the INTERalliance of Greater Cincinnati. Simerlink will major in electrical engineering at Ohio State University. He is the son of Teradata senior business value consultant Dan Simerlink.
Registration is now open for the 2016 National Merit Scholarship program, for employees with high school juniors in the 2014-2015 school year. Registration is also open for the 2015 International Scholarship program for international employees with students completing secondary school and entering university in 2015.
Teradata (NYSE: TDC), a global leader in analytic data platforms, marketing applications, and consulting services, helps organizations become more competitive by increasing the value of their data and customer relationships. Visit Teradata.com for details.
Get to know Teradata:
Teradata and the Teradata logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Teradata Corporation and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and worldwide. PSAT/NMSQT® is a registered trademark of the College Board and National Merit Scholarship Corporation.
Basho Technologies has announced the latest release of Basho Riak TS, version 1.3. Riak TS is an enterprise-grade NoSQL database optimized for Internet of Things (IoT). The open source version enables developers to download the software for free and use it in production as well as make contributions to the code and develop applications around Riak TS. Enhancements to Riak TS make it quick, easy and cost-effective to spin up an instance to test new ideas and build IoT applications. In addition to...
Jul. 25, 2016 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,858
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Jul. 25, 2016 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,474
"This week we're really focusing on scalability, asset preservation and how do you back up to the cloud and in the cloud with object storage, which is really a new way of attacking dealing with your file, your blocked data, where you put it and how you access it," stated Jeff Greenwald, Senior Director of Market Development at HGST, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 25, 2016 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,393
"We've discovered that after shows 80% if leads that people get, 80% of the conversations end up on the show floor, meaning people forget about it, people forget who they talk to, people forget that there are actual business opportunities to be had here so we try to help out and keep the conversations going," explained Jeff Mesnik, Founder and President of ContentMX, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 24, 2016 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,253
SYS-CON Events announced today that Isomorphic Software will exhibit at DevOps Summit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Isomorphic Software provides the SmartClient HTML5/AJAX platform, the most advanced technology for building rich, cutting-edge enterprise web applications for desktop and mobile. SmartClient combines the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software with the simp...
Jul. 24, 2016 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 927
"We're bringing out a new application monitoring system to the DevOps space. It manages large enterprise applications that are distributed throughout a node in many enterprises and we manage them as one collective," explained Kevin Barnes, President of eCube Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 24, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,615
“Being the one true cloud-agnostic and storage-agnostic software solution, more and more customers are coming to Commvault and saying ' What do you recommend? What's your best practice for implementing cloud?” explained Randy De Meno, Chief Technologist at Commvault, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 24, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,616
“delaPlex Software provides software outsourcing services. We have a hybrid model where we have onshore developers and project managers that we can place anywhere in the U.S. or in Europe,” explained Manish Sachdeva, CEO at delaPlex Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 24, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,479
"When you think about the data center today, there's constant evolution, The evolution of the data center and the needs of the consumer of technology change, and they change constantly," stated Matt Kalmenson, VP of Sales, Service and Cloud Providers at Veeam Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 24, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,254
From wearable activity trackers to fantasy e-sports, data and technology are transforming the way athletes train for the game and fans engage with their teams. In his session at @ThingsExpo, will present key data findings from leading sports organizations San Francisco 49ers, Orlando Magic NBA team. By utilizing data analytics these sports orgs have recognized new revenue streams, doubled its fan base and streamlined costs at its stadiums. John Paul is the CEO and Founder of VenueNext. Prior ...
Jul. 24, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,969
IoT is rapidly changing the way enterprises are using data to improve business decision-making. In order to derive business value, organizations must unlock insights from the data gathered and then act on these. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, and Peter Shashkin, Head of Development Department at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how one organization leveraged IoT, cloud technology and data analysis to improve customer experiences and effi...
Jul. 24, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,950
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform and how we integrate our thinking to solve complicated problems. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm ...
Jul. 24, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,117
Let’s face it, embracing new storage technologies, capabilities and upgrading to new hardware often adds complexity and increases costs. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Seth Oxenhorn, Vice President of Business Development & Alliances at FalconStor, discussed how a truly heterogeneous software-defined storage approach can add value to legacy platforms and heterogeneous environments. The result reduces complexity, significantly lowers cost, and provides IT organizations with improved efficienc...
Jul. 24, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,902
Organizations planning enterprise data center consolidation and modernization projects are faced with a challenging, costly reality. Requirements to deploy modern, cloud-native applications simultaneously with traditional client/server applications are almost impossible to achieve with hardware-centric enterprise infrastructure. Compute and network infrastructure are fast moving down a software-defined path, but storage has been a laggard. Until now.
Jul. 24, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,625
"We view the cloud not really as a specific technology but as a way of doing business and that way of doing business is transforming the way software, infrastructure and services are being delivered to business," explained Matthew Rosen, CEO and Director at Fusion, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 24, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,463