|By Business Wire||
|August 28, 2014 10:59 AM EDT||
In the table, sixth row, first column should read: 5. Mimaki (instead of 5. Ricoh).
The corrected release reads:
WORLDWIDE LARGE FORMAT PRINTER SHIPMENTS RECORD FOURTH CONSECUTIVE QUARTER OF YEAR-OVER-YEAR GROWTH IN THE SECOND QUARTER OF 2014, ACCORDING TO IDC
According to the latest data from the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Large Format Printer Tracker, the large format printer (LFP) market recorded year-over-year growth of 5.3% in the second quarter of 2014 (2Q14) with more than 77,000 units shipped. Shipment value, however, declined slightly to $786 million in the quarter with year-over-year growth of -0.5%. The growth in unit shipments was driven by solid results for the top three vendors: HP, Canon, and Epson.
The top three regional markets posted year-over-year growth for the second consecutive quarter in 2Q14, with Western Europe leading the pack at 11.1%, followed by the U.S. at 6.2% and Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan) at 3.7%.
"IDC expects the aqueous color inkjet market to grow at a single digit rate over the next two years. The technical segment of the large format printer market is the real driver of growth opportunity. The gains in the technical segment can be attributed to improved speeds and image quality," said Phuong Hang, Program Director, Worldwide Large Format Printer Tracker.
- The technical segment grew 2.1% year over year to 46,000 units shipped in 2Q14. It remains the largest application segment with 60% share of the total worldwide LFP market. All regions except Latin America recorded year-over-year unit growth in this large format category for 2Q14.
- The graphics application of the large format market is a driver of growth opportunity. This segment grew 10.3% year over year to more than 31,000 units shipped. Similar to the technical segment, all regions except Central Europe, the Middle East and Africa (CEMA) experienced year-over-year growth in this segment. Western Europe posted the greatest gains in both unit and shipment value, 23.4% and 14.6%, respectively.
- HP remains the global large format printer market leader with more than 30,700 units shipped and 39.9% share. Its year-over-year increase of 7.4% was helped by positive gains in the technical (5.7%) and graphic (18.0%) segments. HP continues to lead the technical market, with almost twice the unit shipments of its next competitor, Canon. HP also maintained its second place position in the graphics market behind Epson.
- Canon is the second ranked LFP vendor with more than 17,000 units shipped and 22.6% share. The vendor grew 5.8% year over year. This positive growth was driven by year-over-year gains in both the technical and graphics segments, 3.5% and 13.5%, respectively.
- Epson strengthened its number 3 position with 12% year-over-year growth, the best performance among the top 5 vendors. The vendor recorded more than 15,200 units shipped and 19.8% share, up more than 1 point from a year ago. Its year-over-year growth of 12% was driven by significant growth of 16.5% in the graphics application segment.
- Roland was the number 4 vendor in the worldwide LFP market with more than 2,700 units shipped in 2Q14. The vendor declined 2.9% year over year and held a 3.6% share of the overall market. Graphics application is Roland's main market, which means the vendor's year over year decline was driven by a decrease in the graphics segment.
- Ricoh rounded out the top 5 vendors with a 2.5% share of the worldwide LFP market with unit shipments declining -11.7% compared to a year earlier. The vendor holds the top 4 spot in the technical market, where it saw a -12.1% year-over-year decline.
Worldwide Large Format Printer Shipments, Shipment Value Market Share, and Year-Over-Year Growth, First Quarter 2014
|Vendors||2Q14 Shipment Value ($M)||2Q14 Market Share||2Q13 Shipment Value ($M)||2Q13 Market Share||2Q14/2Q13 Growth|
Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Large Format Printer Tracker, August 28, 2014
- IDC tracks A2-A0+ devices in the LFP market
- The LFP market includes single-function printers, as well as multifunctional systems (MFPs). Data for all vendors are reported for calendar periods.
In addition to the table above, an interactive graphic showing worldwide market share (based on unit shipments) for the top 5 large format printer vendors for 2Q13 and 2Q14 is available here. The chart is intended for public use in online news articles and social media. Instructions on how to embed this graphic can be found by viewing this press release on IDC.com.
For more information about IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, please contact Phuong Hang ([email protected]).
About IDC Trackers
IDC Tracker products provide accurate and timely market size, vendor share, and forecasts for hundreds of technology markets from more than 100 countries around the globe. Using proprietary tools and research processes, IDC's Trackers are updated on a semiannual, quarterly, and monthly basis. Tracker results are delivered to clients in user-friendly excel deliverables and on-line query tools. The IDC Tracker Charts app allows users to view data charts from the most recent IDC Tracker products on their iPhone and iPad.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. IDC helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based decisions on technology purchases and business strategy. More than 1,000 IDC analysts provide global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. In 2014, IDC celebrates its 50th anniversary of providing strategic insights to help clients achieve their key business objectives. IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology media, research, and events company. You can learn more about IDC by visiting www.idc.com. Follow IDC on Twitter at @IDC.
All product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
Aug. 27, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 721
Aug. 27, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 596
Aug. 27, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 772
Aug. 27, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 649
Aug. 27, 2016 06:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,335
Aug. 27, 2016 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,768
Aug. 27, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,001
Aug. 27, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,732
Aug. 27, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,092
Aug. 27, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,014
Aug. 27, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,936
Aug. 27, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,151
Aug. 27, 2016 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,292
Aug. 26, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,077
Aug. 26, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,859