|By PR Newswire||
|August 29, 2014 09:30 AM EDT||
CHICAGO, Aug. 29, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Zacks Director of Research Sheraz Mian says, "Total earnings for the S&P 500 reached a new all-time quarterly record, and increasing by +8.1% from the same period last year on +4.4% higher revenues"
Q2 Earnings Season in the Rearview
The composite picture for Q2, combining the actual results from the 494 S&P 500 members that have reported with estimates for the still-to-come 6 companies, shows total earnings reaching a new all-time quarterly record, and increasing by +8.1% from the same period last year on +4.4% higher revenues. This is a material improvement over the preceding quarter, when total earnings and revenues were essentially flat.
Estimates for the 2014 Q3 have started coming down, with the current +3.5% total earnings growth expected in the current period down from +6.3% at the start of the quarter. But the magnitude of negative revisions in Q3 thus far is the lowest we have seen in more than a year. The chart below compares the magnitude of negative revision to 2014 Q3 estimates over the first eight weeks of the quarter to negative revisions over comparable periods in the preceding 5 quarters.
The -1.1% decline in the magnitude of total earnings for Q3 over the first eight weeks of the quarter is the lowest decline that we have seen in comparable periods over the preceding 5 quarters. If sustained over the next reporting season (Q3 earnings season), this will represent a material improvement in the corporate earnings picture.
- The 2014 Q2 earnings season is presenting a much improved picture of the overall earnings picture relative to what we have become used to seeing in recent quarters.
- Total earnings for the 494 S&P 500 members that have reported results are up +8.1% on +4.4% higher revenues, with 65.3% beating EPS estimates and 61.9% coming ahead of revenue estimates. This is better performance than we have saw from the same group of companies in recent quarters, with the revenue beat ratio notably impressive.
- The Retail sector's results have been no better than what we have been seeing in other recent quarters. Total earnings for the 97.7% of retail sector companies in the S&P 500 that have reported results are up +2.6% on +5.5% higher revenues. Most of the sector leaders like Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT-Free Report), Target (NYSE:TGT-Free Report), Macy's (NYSE:M-Free Report) and others have guided lower for the current period.
- Growth from the Technology sector has been the best in many recent quarters, with total earnings up +12.1% on +5.9% higher revenues. Other sectors with strong earnings performance include Medical (Up +15.8%), Construction (+14.2%), Utilities (+12.3%), Aerospace (+10.7%), Transportation (+11.5%), and Energy (+12.4%).
- The Medical sector's +15.8% earnings growth on +12.4% higher revenues is primarily due to strength at Gilead Sciences (Nasdaq:GILD-Free Report), but most of the sector companies have also come out with positive earnings and revenue beats. Easy comparisons at Verizon (NYSE:VZ-Free Report) account for the Utilities sector's strong growth numbers.
- The composite Q2 picture for the S&P 500, combining the actual results from the 494 companies with estimates for the 6 still to come, is for earnings to be up +8.1% from the same period last year, on +4.4% higher revenues and 34 basis points in higher margins.
- The Q2 earnings is moving along nicely for the small-cap space as well, with results from 568 S&P 600 members or 94.7% of the index's total membership already out. Total earnings for these 568 index members are up +12.4% on +9.4% higher revenues, with 49.1% beating EPS estimates and 38.0% coming ahead of top-line expectations.
- The beat ratios for these 568 S&P 600 members are lower relative to what we have seen from this same group of companies in other recent quarters, but the earnings and revenue growth rates compare favorably to historical levels.
Want stock picks from Zacks Equity Research that are based on earnings estimates? Subscribe to the free "Profit from the Pros" newsletter: Click here
About Zacks Equity Research
Zacks Equity Research provides the best of quantitative and qualitative analysis to help investors know what stocks to buy and which to sell for the long-term. Continuous analyst coverage is provided for a universe of 1,150 publicly traded stocks. Our analysts are organized by industry which gives them keen insights to developments that affect company profits and stock performance. Recommendations and target prices are six-month time horizons.
Zacks "Profit from the Pros" e-mail newsletter provides highlights of the latest analysis from Zacks Equity Research. Click here to subscribe to this free newsletter today.
Zacks.com is a property of Zacks Investment Research, Inc., which was formed in 1978. The later formation of the Zacks Rank, a proprietary stock picking system; continues to outperform the market by nearly a 3 to 1 margin. The best way to unlock the profitable stock recommendations and market insights of Zacks Investment Research is through our free daily email newsletter; Profit from the Pros. In short, it's your steady flow of Profitable ideas GUARANTEED to be worth your time! Register for your free subscription to Profit from the Pros.
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/zacksresearch
Join us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Zacks-Investment-Research/57553657748?ref=ts
Zacks Investment Research is under common control with affiliated entities (including a broker-dealer and an investment adviser), which may engage in transactions involving the foregoing securities for the clients of such affiliates.
Zacks.com provides investment resources and informs you of these resources, which you may choose to use in making your own investment decisions. Zacks is providing information on this resource to you subject to the Zacks "Terms and Conditions of Service" disclaimer. www.zacks.com/disclaimer.
Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Inherent in any investment is the potential for loss. This material is being provided for informational purposes only and nothing herein constitutes investment, legal, accounting or tax advice, or a recommendation to buy, sell or hold a security. No recommendation or advice is being given as to whether any investment is suitable for a particular investor. It should not be assumed that any investments in securities, companies, sectors or markets identified and described were or will be profitable. All information is current as of the date of herein and is subject to change without notice. Any views or opinions expressed may not reflect those of the firm as a whole. Zacks Investment Research does not engage in investment banking, market making or asset management activities of any securities. These returns are from hypothetical portfolios consisting of stocks with Zacks Rank = 1 that were rebalanced monthly with zero transaction costs. These are not the returns of actual portfolios of stocks. The S&P 500 is an unmanaged index. Visit http://www.zacks.com/performance for information about the performance numbers displayed in this press release.
SOURCE Zacks Investment Research, Inc.
Oct. 1, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,761
Oct. 1, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 825
Oct. 1, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,669
Oct. 1, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,938
Oct. 1, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 5,504
Oct. 1, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,506
Oct. 1, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,415
Oct. 1, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,312
Oct. 1, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,273
Without a clear strategy for cost control and an architecture designed with cloud services in mind, costs and operational performance can quickly get out of control. To avoid multiple architectural redesigns requires extensive thought and planning. Boundary (now part of BMC) launched a new public-facing multi-tenant high resolution monitoring service on Amazon AWS two years ago, facing challenges and learning best practices in the early days of the new service. In his session at 19th Cloud Exp...
Oct. 1, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,176
Digitization is driving a fundamental change in society that is transforming the way businesses work with their customers, their supply chains and their people. Digital transformation leverages DevOps best practices, such as Agile Parallel Development, Continuous Delivery and Agile Operations to capitalize on opportunities and create competitive differentiation in the application economy. However, information security has been notably absent from the DevOps movement. Speed doesn’t have to negat...
Oct. 1, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,411
The Internet of Things can drive efficiency for airlines and airports. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Sudip Majumder, senior director of development at Oracle, will discuss the technical details of the connected airline baggage and related social media solutions. These IoT applications will enhance travelers' journey experience and drive efficiency for the airlines and the airports. The session will include a working demo and a technical d...
Oct. 1, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,866
While DevOps promises a better and tighter integration among an organization’s development and operation teams and transforms an application life cycle into a continual deployment, Chef and Azure together provides a speedy, cost-effective and highly scalable vehicle for realizing the business values of this transformation. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Yung Chou, a Technology Evangelist at Microsoft, will present a unique opportunity to witness how Chef and Azure work tog...
Oct. 1, 2016 06:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,933
Your business relies on your applications and your employees to stay in business. Whether you develop apps or manage business critical apps that help fuel your business, what happens when users experience sluggish performance? You and all technical teams across the organization – application, network, operations, among others, as well as, those outside the organization, like ISPs and third-party providers – are called in to solve the problem.
Oct. 1, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,809