|By PR Newswire||
|September 2, 2014 10:27 AM EDT||
NEW YORK, Sept. 2, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- By 2015, experts predict half of all software providers will deliver their applications as Software-as-a-Service (SaaS). In fact, SaaS is expected to represent three-fourths of all spending on public cloud services in 2015, making the idea of SaaS delivery models top of mind for software providers. Those not yet embracing a SaaS delivery model may already be feeling significant competitive pressure knowing that customers want choices in the way they consume their software. For software providers wondering whether a SaaS model is right for them, Logicalis US, an international IT solutions and managed services provider (www.us.logicalis.com), has outlined seven of the most important reasons that adopting a SaaS delivery strategy makes good business and financial sense for software providers.
"Software providers are positioned along a continuum somewhere between traditional software on the far left, where the software provider develops the application and supports it for customers who deploy, manage and consume it any way they like, and at the far right, those who embrace SaaS in a way that transforms them from a provider of a product to a service provider similar to Salesforce.com, for example," says Ryan McNees, Solution Provider Practice Leader, Logicalis US.
Seven Reasons SaaS Makes Good Business Sense
Most software providers find themselves somewhere in the middle of the spectrum today, but as they naturally move toward the right they will need to leverage and embrace the cloud and a SaaS strategy to get to a true SaaS business model. Here are seven reasons this makes sense for software providers according to Logicalis US experts:
- Shortened Implementation Times: By standardizing the implementation of a software solution, SaaS reduces the solution's implementation time. When implementing a software program on-premise, the technical environment varies with each customer, causing the software provider to inherit and resolve the unique implementation problems of each customer. With a cloud deployment, the environment is standardized; implementation is the same time after time. Automation and orchestration technologies can also be leveraged to further streamline implementations, driving down time to consumption, and increasing customer satisfaction. By shortening implementation times, products can also be brought to market faster and more cost-effectively than they can with more traditional go-to-market strategies.
- Marketing to New Customers: In a traditional software delivery model, the customer buys the hardware, implements it on premise, then deploys the software. Someone has to be responsible for that environment which adds cost and complexity that many customers would prefer to avoid. Consuming software as a service is simpler and offers a different financial model; instead of a large capital expenditure to buy dedicated hardware, the consumer can package its purchase as a monthly fee that fits into its operational budget. Therefore, as software providers adopt a SaaS delivery model, they're able to reach a wider base of customers, particularly those who want to trade IT CAPEX for OPEX.
- Capturing New Revenue Streams: In more traditional software delivery models, providers sell software and maintenance as a package, charging a large one-time payment. With a SaaS model, the larger single payment may be divided into a monthly annuity stream that continues at a steady, ongoing rate. By also including infrastructure services in the initial sale, software providers are able to make money on a larger piece of the overall IT landscape. The customer has to run the software they purchase on something; why not sell them cloud access on a recurring monthly basis and earn that additional revenue long term?
- Reducing Risk: Risk mitigation is one of the most important factors in a business' success. By selecting an experienced cloud partner with a proven track record in SaaS delivery rather than trying to build a hosting infrastructure in house, the software provider can avoid a lengthy, multi-year learning curve where mistakes in hosting the software will inevitably be made. Finding and partnering with the right cloud provider can mean avoiding these costly mistakes and greatly lessening risk for the business as a whole while still allowing the provider to capitalize on the annuity stream and market to customers who don't want to buy on-premise hardware themselves.
- Being Flexible: Offer Hosted, Managed Appliance and SaaS Solutions: Customers want options, but providing all the options customers want is a costly endeavor. Trying to do this all alone will inevitably lead software providers to push customers toward the model they are best able to provide, a strategy which may not be in the client's best interest and could result in loss of business. Instead, create a go-to-market plan that includes hosted, managed appliance and SaaS strategies, then rely on experienced partners to seamlessly provide the pieces you aren't able to cost-effectively deliver to your clients.
- Partnering for ITSM, Change Management and Monitoring: A lot of Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) companies provide just the cloud infrastructure and nothing more. But delivering a true solution means more than just building the environment the software runs on; it also means managing and scaling that environment, supporting the customers and managing their SLAs. It takes a long time to build a successful service organization, so in many cases, savvy software providers outsource key managed services they want to provide to their customers – from the infrastructure itself to backup and disaster recovery, automation and orchestration, and even managing a help desk for the software provider itself. An experienced customer service partner, for example, will determine what the issue is when a service ticket comes in – i.e., whether it's the operating system, a database backup/restore issue, or an outage that needs to fail over. If it's software-related, they'll send the customer back to the software provider. Anything else, they'll solve it on the spot on the provider's behalf.
- Selling Security – SSAE-16, HIPAA, PCI: Customers want assurances that the solution they deploy is secure. Choosing SaaS deployment partners who can help meet the end customers' security and compliance requirements by providing a secure, audited environment and signing Business Associate Agreements (BAAs) for HIPAA, for example, will be a definite door opener with customers concerned about regulatory requirements.
Want to Learn More?
- Ready to transform your business? Visit Logicalis' software provider microsite here: http://ow.ly/AIk0f.
- Read about the Logicalis Software Provider Program and find out more about gaining a competitive advantage with a secure enterprise cloud, SaaS or managed on-site appliance program: http://ow.ly/AIjmE.
- Explore the seven critical criteria for selecting an infrastructure as a service (IaaS) partner, then read a case study about API Healthcare and how Logicalis helped it launch its Workforce Management SaaS offerings: http://ow.ly/AIkqy.
Logicalis is an international IT solutions and managed services provider with a breadth of knowledge and expertise in communications and collaboration, data center and cloud services, and managed services.
Logicalis employs nearly 3,700 people worldwide, including highly trained service specialists who design, specify, deploy and manage complex ICT infrastructures to meet the needs of almost 6,000 corporate and public sector customers. To achieve this, Logicalis maintains strong partnerships with technology leaders such as Cisco, HP, IBM, CA Technologies, EMC, NetApp, Microsoft, VMware and ServiceNow.
The Logicalis Group has annualized revenues of $1.6 billion, from operations in Europe, North America, Latin America and Asia Pacific, and is fast establishing itself as one of the leading IT and Communications solution integrators specializing in the areas of advanced technologies and services.
The Logicalis Group is a division of Datatec Limited, listed on the Johannesburg and London AIM Stock Exchanges, with revenues of over $5 billion.
For more information, visit www.us.logicalis.com.
Business and technology working as one
To learn more about Logicalis activities through a variety of social media outlets, click here.
SOURCE Logicalis US
@DevOpsSummit at Cloud taking place June 6-8, 2017, at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long developm...
Apr. 29, 2017 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,425
Cloud promises the agility required by today’s digital businesses. As organizations adopt cloud based infrastructures and services, their IT resources become increasingly dynamic and hybrid in nature. Managing these require modern IT operations and tools. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Raj Sundaram, Senior Principal Product Manager at CA Technologies, will discuss how to modernize your IT operations in order to proactively manage your hybrid cloud and IT environments. He will be sharing be...
Apr. 29, 2017 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 947
As DevOps methodologies expand their reach across the enterprise, organizations face the daunting challenge of adapting related cloud strategies to ensure optimal alignment, from managing complexity to ensuring proper governance. How can culture, automation, legacy apps and even budget be reexamined to enable this ongoing shift within the modern software factory?
Apr. 29, 2017 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 444
Five years ago development was seen as a dead-end career, now it’s anything but – with an explosion in mobile and IoT initiatives increasing the demand for skilled engineers. But apart from having a ready supply of great coders, what constitutes true ‘DevOps Royalty’? It’ll be the ability to craft resilient architectures, supportability, security everywhere across the software lifecycle. In his keynote at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Jeffrey Scheaffer, GM and SVP, Continuous Delivery Busine...
Apr. 29, 2017 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,263
While some vendors scramble to create and sell you a fancy solution for monitoring your spanking new Amazon Lambdas, hear how you can do it on the cheap using just built-in Java APIs yourself. By exploiting a little-known fact that Lambdas aren’t exactly single threaded, you can effectively identify hot spots in your serverless code. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, David Martin, Principal Product Owner at CA Technologies, will give a live demonstration and code walkthrough, showing how to o...
Apr. 29, 2017 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 759
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Apr. 29, 2017 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,752
Bert Loomis was a visionary. This general session will highlight how Bert Loomis and people like him inspire us to build great things with small inventions. In their general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Architect at IBM Bluemix, and Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at Nvidia, discussed the accelerating pace of AI development and how IBM Cloud and NVIDIA are partnering to bring AI capabilities to "every day," on-demand. They also reviewed two "free infrastructure" pr...
Apr. 29, 2017 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,732
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Apr. 29, 2017 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,497
Everyone wants to use containers, but monitoring containers is hard. New ephemeral architecture introduces new challenges in how monitoring tools need to monitor and visualize containers, so your team can make sense of everything. In his session at @DevOpsSummit, David Gildeh, co-founder and CEO of Outlyer, will go through the challenges and show there is light at the end of the tunnel if you use the right tools and understand what you need to be monitoring to successfully use containers in your...
Apr. 29, 2017 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,299
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in compute, storage and networking technologies, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/...
Apr. 29, 2017 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,564
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Apr. 29, 2017 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,555
All organizations that did not originate this moment have a pre-existing culture as well as legacy technology and processes that can be more or less amenable to DevOps implementation. That organizational culture is influenced by the personalities and management styles of Executive Management, the wider culture in which the organization is situated, and the personalities of key team members at all levels of the organization. This culture and entrenched interests usually throw a wrench in the work...
Apr. 29, 2017 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 919
Judith Hurwitz is president and CEO of Hurwitz & Associates, a Needham, Mass., research and consulting firm focused on emerging technology, including big data, cognitive computing and governance. She is co-author of the book Cognitive Computing and Big Data Analytics, published in 2015. Her Cloud Expo session, "What Is the Business Imperative for Cognitive Computing?" is scheduled for Wednesday, June 8, at 8:40 a.m. In it, she puts cognitive computing into perspective with its value to the busin...
Apr. 29, 2017 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,840
NHK, Japan Broadcasting, will feature the upcoming @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley in a special 'Internet of Things' and smart technology documentary that will be filmed on the expo floor between November 3 to 5, 2015, in Santa Clara. NHK is the sole public TV network in Japan equivalent to the BBC in the UK and the largest in Asia with many award-winning science and technology programs. Japanese TV is producing a documentary about IoT and Smart technology and will be covering @ThingsExpo Silicon Val...
Apr. 29, 2017 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 9,376
SYS-CON Events announced today that CollabNet, a global leader in enterprise software development, release automation and DevOps solutions, will be a Bronze Sponsor of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, taking place from June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. CollabNet offers a broad range of solutions with the mission of helping modern organizations deliver quality software at speed. The company’s latest innovation, the DevOps Lifecycle Manager (DLM), supports Value S...
Apr. 29, 2017 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,331