|By PR Newswire||
|September 3, 2014 03:03 PM EDT||
SAN DIEGO, Sept. 3, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Hundreds of Americans 50+ have geared up to donate their time as AARP hosts a multitude of volunteer opportunities at its biannual [email protected]+ National Event & Expo in San Diego, from September 4-6. Attendees will discover their real possibilities by contributing to community service activities including the packing of 50,000 meals for Drive to End Hunger and local community service events. [email protected]+ kicks off on Thursday, September 4 with a Day of Service. Attendees at AARP's [email protected]+ can volunteer on any of the national event's three days to pack meals for the Drive to End Hunger event sponsored by the AARP® Credit Card from Chase or at other events taking place to benefit the San Diego area. The three-day Drive to End Hunger meal-packing event will have ten, one-hour shifts where hundreds of volunteers will pack 50,000 meals for hungry San Diegans served by the Jacobs & Cushman San Diego Food Bank. This is just one part of the AARP Credit Card from Chase's pledge to donate more than 100,000 meals in 2014 to benefit older Americans. Chase will also give up to $1 million to Drive to End Hunger this year by donating $0.25 to AARP Foundation for every restaurant purchase made with the AARP Credit Card from Chase.
"The San Diego Community Day of Service offers members and others an opportunity to discover real possibilities in their lives and in the San Diego area through volunteer efforts in the local community," said Lisa Marsh Ryerson, AARP Foundation president. "Giving back to the people of San Diego enriches the lives of both those in need and those who volunteer, and we look forward to the opportunity to serve."
Thursday, September 4, 2014
- 8:00am: AARP kicks off [email protected]+ with a Community Day of Service rally at the San Diego Convention Center before some head out to the San Diego area to volunteer. AARP's Men's Life Ambassador and NFL Hall of Fame Quarterback Dan Marino, AARP Travel Ambassador and Travel Channel's host of Great Weekends Samantha Brown, AARP Love and Relationship Ambassador Dr. Pepper Schwartz, and more than 300 [email protected]+ attendees will give their time and effort to various community organizations in the San Diego area.
- 9:00am to 1:00pm (on-site): The following projects will happen at the San Diego Convention Center in Room 20ABC:
- 125 volunteers will create and assemble Full of Joy Gift boxes that will be boxed with a seasonal bow to bring cheer to hundreds of local San Diego seniors
- 75 volunteers will create learning aids such as book covers and flash cards for children served by two San Diego-based agencies
- 50 volunteers will create lap desks for low-income children and seniors living in San Diego. This will provide children and seniors with a desk to call their own.
- 50 volunteers will assemble skateboards for youth living in urban and diverse neighborhoods of San Diego
- 9:00am to 1:00pm (off-site): Volunteers from The Hartford and AARP will work with Rebuilding Together to provide critical repairs and improve the home of Mr. Daniel Jackson, a San Diego native who lives in the modest childhood home, creating a safe and healthy living environment. Mr. Jackson, who is 76 years old, is a legendary tenor saxophonist suffering from lung cancer. The project will also bring out close friend, actor and musician Ben Vereen. The Hartford is the sole sponsor for the Rebuilding Together volunteer event.
- 1:00pm-6:00pm: Attendees can donate blood at the American Red Cross Blood Drive located on the Exhibit Floor (Booth #4307). Their goal is to collect 50 pints of blood during their two-day drive at the convention.
- 2:00pm to 5:00pm: Meal-packing begins as [email protected]+ volunteers on the Exhibit Hall floor at the San Diego Convention Center assemble meals to be delivered to the Jacobs & Cushman San Diego Food Bank. There will also be a 25k check presentation from AARP Foundation to the San Diego Food Bank.
- 4:30pm: AARP Ambassador Dan Marino will hold a football clinic at the Payne Family Branch National City Boys & Girls Club with 50 children.
Friday, September 5, 2014
- 11:00am-5:00pm: Attendees can donate blood at the American Red Cross Blood Drive located on the Exhibit Floor (Booth #4307)
- 1:00pm to 4:00 pm: Meal-packing continues for the second straight day as [email protected]+ volunteers on the Exhibit Hall Floor at the San Diego Convention Center assemble 50,000 meals to be delivered to the Jacobs & Cushman San Diego Food Bank.
Saturday, September 6, 2014
- 9:30am to 11:30am: Meal-packing continues for the third straight day as [email protected]+ volunteers on the Exhibit Hall Floor at the San Diego Convention Center assemble meals to be delivered to the Jacobs & Cushman San Diego Food Bank.
Other AARP volunteer projects in addition to the meal-packing event and the Exhibit Hall on Thursday's Community Day of Service will benefit:
- American Red Cross
- Barrio Logan College Institute
- Rebuilding Together
- Serving Seniors
- Tony Hawk Foundation
- Voices for Children
Registration Admission to [email protected]+ for AARP members is $25, $35 for non-members (includes a one-year AARP membership). The entry fee includes access to the Exhibit Floor and workshops/sessions for all three days. Online registration, additional information on [email protected]+, as well as the complete schedule can all be found at www.aarp.org/events. Registration is also open by phone at 1-800-650-6839. On Twitter #ideasat50 is the @AARP and @AARPMedia hashtag for the member event.
AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization, with a membership of nearly 38 million, that helps people turn their goals and dreams into real possibilities, strengthens communities and fights for the issues that matter most to families such as healthcare, employment and income security, retirement planning, affordable utilities and protection from financial abuse. We advocate for individuals in the marketplace by selecting products and services of high quality and value to carry the AARP name as well as help our members obtain discounts on a wide range of products, travel, and services. A trusted source for lifestyle tips, news and educational information, AARP produces AARP The Magazine, the world's largest circulation magazine; AARP Bulletin; www.aarp.org; AARP TV & Radio; AARP Books; and AARP en Español, a Spanish-language website addressing the interests and needs of Hispanics. AARP does not endorse candidates for public office or make contributions to political campaigns or candidates. The AARP Foundation is an affiliated charity that provides security, protection, and empowerment to older persons in need with support from thousands of volunteers, donors, and sponsors. AARP has staffed offices in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Learn more at www.aarp.org.
"Once customers get a year into their IoT deployments, they start to realize that they may have been shortsighted in the ways they built out their deployment and the key thing I see a lot of people looking at is - how can I take equipment data, pull it back in an IoT solution and show it in a dashboard," stated Dave McCarthy, Director of Products at Bsquare Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 10, 2016 09:15 PM EST Reads: 1,348
Everyone knows that truly innovative companies learn as they go along, pushing boundaries in response to market changes and demands. What's more of a mystery is how to balance innovation on a fresh platform built from scratch with the legacy tech stack, product suite and customers that continue to serve as the business' foundation. In his General Session at 19th Cloud Expo, Michael Chambliss, Head of Engineering at ReadyTalk, discussed why and how ReadyTalk diverted from healthy revenue and mor...
Dec. 10, 2016 07:30 PM EST Reads: 1,811
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
Dec. 10, 2016 07:00 PM EST Reads: 4,141
What happens when the different parts of a vehicle become smarter than the vehicle itself? As we move toward the era of smart everything, hundreds of entities in a vehicle that communicate with each other, the vehicle and external systems create a need for identity orchestration so that all entities work as a conglomerate. Much like an orchestra without a conductor, without the ability to secure, control, and connect the link between a vehicle’s head unit, devices, and systems and to manage the ...
Dec. 10, 2016 06:45 PM EST Reads: 1,100
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2017 New York. The 20th Cloud Expo and 7th @ThingsExpo will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Internet to enable us all to im...
Dec. 10, 2016 06:30 PM EST Reads: 1,028
You have great SaaS business app ideas. You want to turn your idea quickly into a functional and engaging proof of concept. You need to be able to modify it to meet customers' needs, and you need to deliver a complete and secure SaaS application. How could you achieve all the above and yet avoid unforeseen IT requirements that add unnecessary cost and complexity? You also want your app to be responsive in any device at any time. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Allen, General Manager of...
Dec. 10, 2016 06:30 PM EST Reads: 1,967
The Internet of Things (IoT) promises to simplify and streamline our lives by automating routine tasks that distract us from our goals. This promise is based on the ubiquitous deployment of smart, connected devices that link everything from industrial control systems to automobiles to refrigerators. Unfortunately, comparatively few of the devices currently deployed have been developed with an eye toward security, and as the DDoS attacks of late October 2016 have demonstrated, this oversight can ...
Dec. 10, 2016 06:30 PM EST Reads: 1,548
More and more brands have jumped on the IoT bandwagon. We have an excess of wearables – activity trackers, smartwatches, smart glasses and sneakers, and more that track seemingly endless datapoints. However, most consumers have no idea what “IoT” means. Creating more wearables that track data shouldn't be the aim of brands; delivering meaningful, tangible relevance to their users should be. We're in a period in which the IoT pendulum is still swinging. Initially, it swung toward "smart for smar...
Dec. 10, 2016 06:15 PM EST Reads: 1,090
"ReadyTalk is an audio and web video conferencing provider. We've really come to embrace WebRTC as the platform for our future of technology," explained Dan Cunningham, CTO of ReadyTalk, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at WebRTC Summit at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 10, 2016 05:30 PM EST Reads: 1,006
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Dec. 10, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 2,381
Bert Loomis was a visionary. This general session will highlight how Bert Loomis and people like him inspire us to build great things with small inventions. In their general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Architect at IBM Bluemix, and Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at Nvidia, discussed the accelerating pace of AI development and how IBM Cloud and NVIDIA are partnering to bring AI capabilities to "every day," on-demand. They also reviewed two "free infrastructure" pr...
Dec. 10, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 1,420
Without lifecycle traceability and visibility across the tool chain, stakeholders from Planning-to-Ops have limited insight and answers to who, what, when, why and how across the DevOps lifecycle. This impacts the ability to deliver high quality software at the needed velocity to drive positive business outcomes. In his general session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Phil Hombledal, Solution Architect at CollabNet, discussed how customers are able to achieve a level of transparency that e...
Dec. 10, 2016 04:30 PM EST Reads: 1,372
WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web communications world. The 6th WebRTC Summit continues our tradition of delivering the latest and greatest presentations within the world of WebRTC. Topics include voice calling, video chat, P2P file sharing, and use cases that have already leveraged the power and convenience of WebRTC.
Dec. 10, 2016 04:30 PM EST Reads: 1,838
As data explodes in quantity, importance and from new sources, the need for managing and protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and cloud environments grow with it. Managing data includes protecting it, indexing and classifying it for true, long-term management, compliance and E-Discovery. Commvault can ensure this with a single pane of glass solution – whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enter...
Dec. 10, 2016 04:30 PM EST Reads: 1,926
Cloud Expo, Inc. has announced today that Andi Mann returns to 'DevOps at Cloud Expo 2017' as Conference Chair The @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. "DevOps is set to be one of the most profound disruptions to hit IT in decades," said Andi Mann. "It is a natural extension of cloud computing, and I have seen both firsthand and in independent research the fantastic results DevOps delivers. So I am excited to help the great t...
Dec. 10, 2016 03:45 PM EST Reads: 933