|By Marketwired .||
|September 3, 2014 07:30 PM EDT||
CALGARY, ALBERTA -- (Marketwired) -- 09/03/14 -- Canadian Heritage
Wordfest will receive $150,000 in support of the 19th and 20th editions of its annual writers' festival, as well as off-festival programming that will take place throughout the year.
Joan Crockatt, Member of Parliament (Calgary Centre), made the announcement today on behalf of the Honourable Shelly Glover, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages.
This funding is provided through the Support for Organizations stream of the Canada Book Fund.
- Wordfest anticipates that in 2014 and 2015, it will promote about 150 Canadian authors through 130 events to a total audience of approximately 30,000.
- Wordfest's year-round initiatives range from public celebrations, community booths and audio-visual streaming projects to marquee presentations that bring some of the world's best writers to southern Alberta.
- This new funding is in addition to Canadian Heritage's investment of $140,000 for Wordfest 2014 and 2015 through the Canada Arts Presentation Fund, which was announced in 2013.
- Through the $39.1-million Canada Book Fund, Canadian Heritage provides support to about 300 Canadian book publishers and industry organizations every year.
- Publishers in Canada generate more than $2 billion in revenues each year and employ around 9,000 Canadians.
"Our Government recognizes the importance of Canada's book publishing sector, which generates close to $2 billion every year in economic activity. We are committed to supporting the industry and ensuring that Canadians from across the country continue to enjoy a great diversity of Canadian books."
- The Honourable Shelly Glover, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages
"Throughout the year, Wordfest supports Canadian publishers by providing them with the means to promote Canadian-authored books at venues throughout Calgary, Banff and the Bow Valley. I encourage all readers from Alberta to join in the fun and discover great Canadian authors and books."
- Joan Crockatt, Member of Parliament (Calgary Centre)
"Wordfest is incredibly grateful to have received multi-year funding from the Department of Canadian Heritage. It means we can continue to bring readers and writers together to share the power of story-and it will enable us to expand programming and outreach as we approach our 20th anniversary year. Next month, Wordfest is delighted to welcome over 85 authors from across Canada and around the world, and we expect to reach an unprecedented number of readers through our adult programming and school programs in Calgary, Banff and the Bow Valley."
- Jo Steffens, Executive Director, Wordfest: Banff-Calgary International Writers Festival
Office of the Minister of Canadian Heritage
and Official Languages
Aug. 26, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,400
Aug. 26, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,956
Aug. 26, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 598
Aug. 26, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,890
Aug. 26, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 637
Aug. 26, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 568
Aug. 26, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 547
Aug. 26, 2016 11:20 AM EDT Reads: 280
Aug. 26, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,858
Aug. 26, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 518
Aug. 26, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,573
Aug. 26, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,570
Aug. 26, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,820
Aug. 26, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 328
Aug. 26, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,225