|By PR Newswire||
|September 4, 2014 10:11 AM EDT||
WASHINGTON, Sept. 4, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- AARP (http://aarp.org), the nation's largest advocate for 76 million baby boomers, today announced RealPad, a first of its kind tablet device built to address the specific needs of 70 million Americans 50+ who are yet to fully embrace tablet technology to help them stay connected. Powered by an Intel processor, RealPad is designed to make using technology an enjoyable, easy and affordable experience especially for people aged 50 and older who are still wary or apprehensive about using tablet technology.
"AARP understands that while technology is a wonderful thing and boomers are one of the biggest consumers of personal-tech, it can still be a daunting experience for a large majority of Americans 50+," said JoAnn Jenkins, CEO, AARP. "Our members have frequently expressed that the complexity, frustration and headaches of using technology just aren't worth the trouble. RealPad is our answer to address the challenges that are preventing technology-shy Americans 50 years and older from fully embracing the benefits of technology such as connecting with family, friends, communities and enjoying books, games, and learning."
AARP worked with Intel, which provides the vital intelligence inside a wide range of devices including tablets, to develop an intuitive, easy-to-use software interface for RealPad. RealPad will be available for sale beginning this fall at Walmart, a titan in the retail space, to help millions of Americans 50+ connect to and enjoy the benefits of the digital world.
"RealPad is powered by an Intel® Atom™ processor, providing vibrant visuals, lightning-fast Web browsing and app loading," said Brian Fravel, vice president of Intel Sales and Marketing and director of North America Marketing. "The long battery life enabled by the processor also means that users can listen, watch, play and be productive on the go. This all comes inside a sleek look and feel at an affordable price. In addition to powering RealPad, Intel helped build the software and unique interface on the tablet, making it simple and intuitive to interact with a RealPad tablet, even for those with little technology experience. Our support for RealPad is the latest example of our focus in enriching people's lives with our technologies."
Five Key Differentiators of RealPad for Tech-Apprehensive Americans
1. Easy to Use & Intuitive Interface to Help People Stay Connected: One of the most common complaints that AARP hears from its members is that tablets and smart phones are difficult to use and understand. For parents and grandparents who want to use a tablet to share photos of their children and grandchildren, have video chats with their children who live hundreds of miles away and to entertain themselves with online games, RealPad is a gateway to their digital life. Using Intel's software, RealPad has a unique, customized interface that has been designed specifically with the technology-apprehensive consumer in mind, delivering a tablet that is easy to use, giving them quick and convenient access to the capabilities they need most.
2. A RealQuick Fix Feature for One Click, Easy Tablet Troubleshooting: RealPad RealQuick Fix is a simple and powerful feature that allows users to quickly view the status of their tablet on a dashboard (including battery life, WiFi connection and Bluetooth status, presence of untrusted apps, etc.), identify common tablet problems and fix those problems with one click. One example is sometimes users would need to reset WiFi settings in order to get connected. Instead of going through various steps to do so, users only need to click the RealQuick Fix button to reset WiFi settings.
3. 24/7 Customer Service and Remote Assistance: RealPad comes with free customer service and remote helping hand sessions available all day and everyday (24/7) with access to dedicated live tech experts via a toll-free number or email who can help RealPad owners answer their questions about using RealPad. This feature has been included to meet the needs of those who are unfamiliar with technology and need a little help learning how to use their tablets.
4. Affordable Pricing: RealPad is competitively priced at $189 to address cost concerns of many Americans for whom affordability has been a barrier to adopting digital technology. RealPad also includes a one-year AARP membership and a one-year limited warranty on the device. AARP is offering an affordable tablet that meets the needs of its users with lightning-fast performance and long battery life, but also comes with additional value such as free customer service, tutorial videos, preloaded apps, and more.
5. Pre-loaded Content and Tools to Ensure a Smooth Transition: RealPad comes with built-in video tutorials to help people who are new to digital technology, helping them learn how to use their tablet quickly and increase their confidence and comfort levels with technology. Tutorials include subjects such as understanding how to download apps, touchscreen basics, access and browse the Internet, and set up video calling, email accounts.
Built on Google's Android Platform KitKat 4.4, RealPad is ready for consumers to use right out of the box. Customers can pre-order RealPad beginning Sept. 4 at www.aarprealpad.org. Pre-orders of RealPad will start shipping out and be available in-store mid-October at Walmart stores nationwide right in time for the holiday season.
Specifications of RealPad
- Easy to use interface including RealPad RealQuick Fix for users to quickly view the status of their tablet on a dashboard (including battery life, Wi-Fi connection and Bluetooth Status, presence of untrusted apps, etc.)
- Free 24/7 customer service with access to a live expert
- More than 20 tutorial videos (top 10 pre-loaded on the tablet)
- One year complimentary AARP membership
- 7.85" screen size
- 1.2GHz Intel® Atom™ Z2520 processor
- 2.0MP front-facing and 5.0MP rear-facing cameras
- 16GB memory
- Connectivity - WiFi, Bluetooth
- OS: Android KitKat 4.4
Social mission is at the heart of AARP's introduction of RealPad. AARP is committed to equipping people to live their lives to its fullest and helping people seek Real Possibilities. In support of this mission, Pfizer has generously donated 100 RealPad™ tablet computers to the AARP Foundation (501C3 organization). These tablets will be used to support Foundation programs that focus on Isolation, Connectivity, Caregiving and Hunger and the Foundation will integrate RealPad into its efforts to increase social connection for isolated, low-income adults.
For more information on RealPad visit www.aarprealpad.org.
AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization, with a membership of nearly 38 million, that helps people turn their goals and dreams into real possibilities, strengthens communities and fights for the issues that matter most to families such as healthcare, employment and income security, retirement planning, affordable utilities and protection from financial abuse. We advocate for individuals in the marketplace by selecting products and services of high quality and value to carry the AARP name as well as help our members obtain discounts on a wide range of products, travel, and services. A trusted source for lifestyle tips, news and educational information, AARP produces AARP The Magazine, the world's largest circulation magazine; AARP Bulletin; www.aarp.org; AARP TV & Radio; AARP Books; and AARP en Español, a Spanish-language website addressing the interests and needs of Hispanics. AARP does not endorse candidates for public office or make contributions to political campaigns or candidates. The AARP Foundation is an affiliated charity that provides security, protection, and empowerment to older persons in need with support from thousands of volunteers, donors, and sponsors. AARP has staffed offices in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Learn more at www.aarp.org.
One of the bewildering things about DevOps is integrating the massive toolchain including the dozens of new tools that seem to crop up every year. Part of DevOps is Continuous Delivery and having a complex toolchain can add additional integration and setup to your developer environment. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 18th Cloud Expo, Miko Matsumura, Chief Marketing Officer of Gradle Inc., will discuss which tools to use in a developer stack, how to provision the toolchain to minimize onboa...
Feb. 14, 2016 07:00 PM EST Reads: 161
There will be new vendors providing applications, middleware, and connected devices to support the thriving IoT ecosystem. This essentially means that electronic device manufacturers will also be in the software business. Many will be new to building embedded software or robust software. This creates an increased importance on software quality, particularly within the Industrial Internet of Things where business-critical applications are becoming dependent on products controlled by software. Qua...
Feb. 14, 2016 05:30 PM EST
With the proliferation of both SQL and NoSQL databases, organizations can now target specific fit-for-purpose database tools for their different application needs regarding scalability, ease of use, ACID support, etc. Platform as a Service offerings make this even easier now, enabling developers to roll out their own database infrastructure in minutes with minimal management overhead. However, this same amount of flexibility also comes with the challenges of picking the right tool, on the right ...
Feb. 14, 2016 05:00 PM EST Reads: 217
Recognizing the need to identify and validate information security professionals’ competency in securing cloud services, the two leading membership organizations focused on cloud and information security, the Cloud Security Alliance (CSA) and (ISC)^2, joined together to develop an international cloud security credential that reflects the most current and comprehensive best practices for securing and optimizing cloud computing environments.
Feb. 14, 2016 04:15 PM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that (ISC)²® (“ISC-squared”) will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Two leading non-profits focused on cloud and information security, (ISC)² and Cloud Security Alliance (CSA), developed the Certified Cloud Security Professional (CCSP) certification to address the increased demand for cloud security expertise due to rapid growth in cloud. Recently named “The Next...
Feb. 14, 2016 04:00 PM EST
With an estimated 50 billion devices connected to the Internet by 2020, several industries will begin to expand their capabilities for retaining end point data at the edge to better utilize the range of data types and sheer volume of M2M data generated by the Internet of Things. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Don DeLoach, CEO and President of Infobright, will discuss the infrastructures businesses will need to implement to handle this explosion of data by providing specific use cases for filte...
Feb. 14, 2016 03:00 PM EST Reads: 273
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pythian, a global IT services company specializing in helping companies adopt disruptive technologies to optimize revenue-generating systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Founded in 1997, Pythian is a global IT services company that helps companies compete by adopting disruptive technologies such as cloud, Big Data, advanced analytics, and DevO...
Feb. 14, 2016 02:30 PM EST Reads: 303
SYS-CON Events announced today that Avere Systems, a leading provider of enterprise storage for the hybrid cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Avere delivers a more modern architectural approach to storage that doesn’t require the overprovisioning of storage capacity to achieve performance, overspending on expensive storage media for inactive data or the overbuilding of data centers ...
Feb. 14, 2016 02:30 PM EST Reads: 163
Join us at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo 2016 – June 7-9 at the Javits Center in New York City and November 1-3 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – and deliver your unique message in a way that is striking and unforgettable by taking advantage of SYS-CON's unmatched high-impact, result-driven event / media packages.
Feb. 14, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 127
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 ad...
Feb. 14, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 464
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
Feb. 14, 2016 12:15 PM EST Reads: 482
DevOps is not just last year’s buzzword. Companies with DevOps practices are 2.5x more likely to exceed profitability, market share, and productivity goals. But how do you enable high performance? What can you do right now to start? Find out from DevOps experts including Gene Kim, co-author of "The Phoenix Project," and the Dynatrace Center of Excellence.
Feb. 14, 2016 12:15 PM EST
In most cases, it is convenient to have some human interaction with a web (micro-)service, no matter how small it is. A traditional approach would be to create an HTTP interface, where user requests will be dispatched and HTML/CSS pages must be served. This approach is indeed very traditional for a web site, but not really convenient for a web service, which is not intended to be good looking, 24x7 up and running and UX-optimized. Instead, talking to a web service in a chat-bot mode would be muc...
Feb. 14, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 328
SYS-CON Events announced today that Men & Mice, the leading global provider of DNS, DHCP and IP address management overlay solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The Men & Mice Suite overlay solution is already known for its powerful application in heterogeneous operating environments, enabling enterprises to scale without fuss. Building on a solid range of diverse platform support,...
Feb. 14, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 295
The cloud competition for database hosts is fierce. How do you evaluate a cloud provider for your database platform? In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Chris Presley, a Solutions Architect at Pythian, will give users a checklist of considerations when choosing a provider. Chris Presley is a Solutions Architect at Pythian. He loves order – making him a premier Microsoft SQL Server expert. Not only has he programmed and administered SQL Server, but he has also shared his expertise and passion w...
Feb. 14, 2016 12:00 PM EST