|By PR Newswire||
|September 4, 2014 10:11 AM EDT||
WASHINGTON, Sept. 4, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- AARP (http://aarp.org), the nation's largest advocate for 76 million baby boomers, today announced RealPad, a first of its kind tablet device built to address the specific needs of 70 million Americans 50+ who are yet to fully embrace tablet technology to help them stay connected. Powered by an Intel processor, RealPad is designed to make using technology an enjoyable, easy and affordable experience especially for people aged 50 and older who are still wary or apprehensive about using tablet technology.
"AARP understands that while technology is a wonderful thing and boomers are one of the biggest consumers of personal-tech, it can still be a daunting experience for a large majority of Americans 50+," said JoAnn Jenkins, CEO, AARP. "Our members have frequently expressed that the complexity, frustration and headaches of using technology just aren't worth the trouble. RealPad is our answer to address the challenges that are preventing technology-shy Americans 50 years and older from fully embracing the benefits of technology such as connecting with family, friends, communities and enjoying books, games, and learning."
AARP worked with Intel, which provides the vital intelligence inside a wide range of devices including tablets, to develop an intuitive, easy-to-use software interface for RealPad. RealPad will be available for sale beginning this fall at Walmart, a titan in the retail space, to help millions of Americans 50+ connect to and enjoy the benefits of the digital world.
"RealPad is powered by an Intel® Atom™ processor, providing vibrant visuals, lightning-fast Web browsing and app loading," said Brian Fravel, vice president of Intel Sales and Marketing and director of North America Marketing. "The long battery life enabled by the processor also means that users can listen, watch, play and be productive on the go. This all comes inside a sleek look and feel at an affordable price. In addition to powering RealPad, Intel helped build the software and unique interface on the tablet, making it simple and intuitive to interact with a RealPad tablet, even for those with little technology experience. Our support for RealPad is the latest example of our focus in enriching people's lives with our technologies."
Five Key Differentiators of RealPad for Tech-Apprehensive Americans
1. Easy to Use & Intuitive Interface to Help People Stay Connected: One of the most common complaints that AARP hears from its members is that tablets and smart phones are difficult to use and understand. For parents and grandparents who want to use a tablet to share photos of their children and grandchildren, have video chats with their children who live hundreds of miles away and to entertain themselves with online games, RealPad is a gateway to their digital life. Using Intel's software, RealPad has a unique, customized interface that has been designed specifically with the technology-apprehensive consumer in mind, delivering a tablet that is easy to use, giving them quick and convenient access to the capabilities they need most.
2. A RealQuick Fix Feature for One Click, Easy Tablet Troubleshooting: RealPad RealQuick Fix is a simple and powerful feature that allows users to quickly view the status of their tablet on a dashboard (including battery life, WiFi connection and Bluetooth status, presence of untrusted apps, etc.), identify common tablet problems and fix those problems with one click. One example is sometimes users would need to reset WiFi settings in order to get connected. Instead of going through various steps to do so, users only need to click the RealQuick Fix button to reset WiFi settings.
3. 24/7 Customer Service and Remote Assistance: RealPad comes with free customer service and remote helping hand sessions available all day and everyday (24/7) with access to dedicated live tech experts via a toll-free number or email who can help RealPad owners answer their questions about using RealPad. This feature has been included to meet the needs of those who are unfamiliar with technology and need a little help learning how to use their tablets.
4. Affordable Pricing: RealPad is competitively priced at $189 to address cost concerns of many Americans for whom affordability has been a barrier to adopting digital technology. RealPad also includes a one-year AARP membership and a one-year limited warranty on the device. AARP is offering an affordable tablet that meets the needs of its users with lightning-fast performance and long battery life, but also comes with additional value such as free customer service, tutorial videos, preloaded apps, and more.
5. Pre-loaded Content and Tools to Ensure a Smooth Transition: RealPad comes with built-in video tutorials to help people who are new to digital technology, helping them learn how to use their tablet quickly and increase their confidence and comfort levels with technology. Tutorials include subjects such as understanding how to download apps, touchscreen basics, access and browse the Internet, and set up video calling, email accounts.
Built on Google's Android Platform KitKat 4.4, RealPad is ready for consumers to use right out of the box. Customers can pre-order RealPad beginning Sept. 4 at www.aarprealpad.org. Pre-orders of RealPad will start shipping out and be available in-store mid-October at Walmart stores nationwide right in time for the holiday season.
Specifications of RealPad
- Easy to use interface including RealPad RealQuick Fix for users to quickly view the status of their tablet on a dashboard (including battery life, Wi-Fi connection and Bluetooth Status, presence of untrusted apps, etc.)
- Free 24/7 customer service with access to a live expert
- More than 20 tutorial videos (top 10 pre-loaded on the tablet)
- One year complimentary AARP membership
- 7.85" screen size
- 1.2GHz Intel® Atom™ Z2520 processor
- 2.0MP front-facing and 5.0MP rear-facing cameras
- 16GB memory
- Connectivity - WiFi, Bluetooth
- OS: Android KitKat 4.4
Social mission is at the heart of AARP's introduction of RealPad. AARP is committed to equipping people to live their lives to its fullest and helping people seek Real Possibilities. In support of this mission, Pfizer has generously donated 100 RealPad™ tablet computers to the AARP Foundation (501C3 organization). These tablets will be used to support Foundation programs that focus on Isolation, Connectivity, Caregiving and Hunger and the Foundation will integrate RealPad into its efforts to increase social connection for isolated, low-income adults.
For more information on RealPad visit www.aarprealpad.org.
AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization, with a membership of nearly 38 million, that helps people turn their goals and dreams into real possibilities, strengthens communities and fights for the issues that matter most to families such as healthcare, employment and income security, retirement planning, affordable utilities and protection from financial abuse. We advocate for individuals in the marketplace by selecting products and services of high quality and value to carry the AARP name as well as help our members obtain discounts on a wide range of products, travel, and services. A trusted source for lifestyle tips, news and educational information, AARP produces AARP The Magazine, the world's largest circulation magazine; AARP Bulletin; www.aarp.org; AARP TV & Radio; AARP Books; and AARP en Español, a Spanish-language website addressing the interests and needs of Hispanics. AARP does not endorse candidates for public office or make contributions to political campaigns or candidates. The AARP Foundation is an affiliated charity that provides security, protection, and empowerment to older persons in need with support from thousands of volunteers, donors, and sponsors. AARP has staffed offices in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Learn more at www.aarp.org.
Translating agile methodology into real-world best practices within the modern software factory has driven widespread DevOps adoption, yet much work remains to expand workflows and tooling across the enterprise. As models evolve from pockets of experimentation into wholescale organizational reinvention, practitioners find themselves challenged to incorporate the culture and architecture necessary to support DevOps at scale. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Anand Akela, Senior...
Apr. 23, 2017 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,258
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in compute, storage and networking technologies, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/...
Apr. 23, 2017 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,595
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Apr. 23, 2017 03:45 AM EDT
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings in the last year, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their back-end AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT – especially in the connected home and office. Amazon is extending its reach by building on its dominant Cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strategy, recently announced Replenishment Services, the Echo/Alexa voice recognition control platform, the 6-7 strategic...
Apr. 23, 2017 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 4,460
Bert Loomis was a visionary. This general session will highlight how Bert Loomis and people like him inspire us to build great things with small inventions. In their general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Architect at IBM Bluemix, and Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at Nvidia, discussed the accelerating pace of AI development and how IBM Cloud and NVIDIA are partnering to bring AI capabilities to "every day," on-demand. They also reviewed two "free infrastructure" pr...
Apr. 23, 2017 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 125
Judith Hurwitz is president and CEO of Hurwitz & Associates, a Needham, Mass., research and consulting firm focused on emerging technology, including big data, cognitive computing and governance. She is co-author of the book Cognitive Computing and Big Data Analytics, published in 2015. Her Cloud Expo session, "What Is the Business Imperative for Cognitive Computing?" is scheduled for Wednesday, June 8, at 8:40 a.m. In it, she puts cognitive computing into perspective with its value to the busin...
Apr. 23, 2017 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,382
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitachi, the leading provider the Internet of Things and Digital Transformation, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Hitachi Data Systems, a wholly owned subsidiary of Hitachi, Ltd., offers an integrated portfolio of services and solutions that enable digital transformation through enhanced data management, governance, mobility and analytics. We help globa...
Apr. 23, 2017 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,574
Blockchain is a shared, secure record of exchange that establishes trust, accountability and transparency across supply chain networks. Supported by the Linux Foundation's open source, open-standards based Hyperledger Project, Blockchain has the potential to improve regulatory compliance, reduce cost and time for product recall as well as advance trade. Are you curious about Blockchain and how it can provide you with new opportunities for innovation and growth? In her session at 20th Cloud Exp...
Apr. 23, 2017 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,146
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Apr. 23, 2017 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 8,547
The explosion of new web/cloud/IoT-based applications and the data they generate are transforming our world right before our eyes. In this rush to adopt these new technologies, organizations are often ignoring fundamental questions concerning who owns the data and failing to ask for permission to conduct invasive surveillance of their customers. Organizations that are not transparent about how their systems gather data telemetry without offering shared data ownership risk product rejection, regu...
Apr. 23, 2017 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 190
Everyone wants to use containers, but monitoring containers is hard. New ephemeral architecture introduces new challenges in how monitoring tools need to monitor and visualize containers, so your team can make sense of everything. In his session at @DevOpsSummit, David Gildeh, co-founder and CEO of Outlyer, will go through the challenges and show there is light at the end of the tunnel if you use the right tools and understand what you need to be monitoring to successfully use containers in your...
Apr. 23, 2017 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,458
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Apr. 22, 2017 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,024
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 add...
Apr. 22, 2017 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,415
@DevOpsSummit at Cloud taking place June 6-8, 2017, at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long developm...
Apr. 22, 2017 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,780
In recent years, containers have taken the world by storm. Companies of all sizes and industries have realized the massive benefits of containers, such as unprecedented mobility, higher hardware utilization, and increased flexibility and agility; however, many containers today are non-persistent. Containers without persistence miss out on many benefits, and in many cases simply pass the responsibility of persistence onto other infrastructure, adding additional complexity.
Apr. 22, 2017 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,823