|By PR Newswire||
|September 4, 2014 10:11 AM EDT||
WASHINGTON, Sept. 4, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- AARP (http://aarp.org), the nation's largest advocate for 76 million baby boomers, today announced RealPad, a first of its kind tablet device built to address the specific needs of 70 million Americans 50+ who are yet to fully embrace tablet technology to help them stay connected. Powered by an Intel processor, RealPad is designed to make using technology an enjoyable, easy and affordable experience especially for people aged 50 and older who are still wary or apprehensive about using tablet technology.
"AARP understands that while technology is a wonderful thing and boomers are one of the biggest consumers of personal-tech, it can still be a daunting experience for a large majority of Americans 50+," said JoAnn Jenkins, CEO, AARP. "Our members have frequently expressed that the complexity, frustration and headaches of using technology just aren't worth the trouble. RealPad is our answer to address the challenges that are preventing technology-shy Americans 50 years and older from fully embracing the benefits of technology such as connecting with family, friends, communities and enjoying books, games, and learning."
AARP worked with Intel, which provides the vital intelligence inside a wide range of devices including tablets, to develop an intuitive, easy-to-use software interface for RealPad. RealPad will be available for sale beginning this fall at Walmart, a titan in the retail space, to help millions of Americans 50+ connect to and enjoy the benefits of the digital world.
"RealPad is powered by an Intel® Atom™ processor, providing vibrant visuals, lightning-fast Web browsing and app loading," said Brian Fravel, vice president of Intel Sales and Marketing and director of North America Marketing. "The long battery life enabled by the processor also means that users can listen, watch, play and be productive on the go. This all comes inside a sleek look and feel at an affordable price. In addition to powering RealPad, Intel helped build the software and unique interface on the tablet, making it simple and intuitive to interact with a RealPad tablet, even for those with little technology experience. Our support for RealPad is the latest example of our focus in enriching people's lives with our technologies."
Five Key Differentiators of RealPad for Tech-Apprehensive Americans
1. Easy to Use & Intuitive Interface to Help People Stay Connected: One of the most common complaints that AARP hears from its members is that tablets and smart phones are difficult to use and understand. For parents and grandparents who want to use a tablet to share photos of their children and grandchildren, have video chats with their children who live hundreds of miles away and to entertain themselves with online games, RealPad is a gateway to their digital life. Using Intel's software, RealPad has a unique, customized interface that has been designed specifically with the technology-apprehensive consumer in mind, delivering a tablet that is easy to use, giving them quick and convenient access to the capabilities they need most.
2. A RealQuick Fix Feature for One Click, Easy Tablet Troubleshooting: RealPad RealQuick Fix is a simple and powerful feature that allows users to quickly view the status of their tablet on a dashboard (including battery life, WiFi connection and Bluetooth status, presence of untrusted apps, etc.), identify common tablet problems and fix those problems with one click. One example is sometimes users would need to reset WiFi settings in order to get connected. Instead of going through various steps to do so, users only need to click the RealQuick Fix button to reset WiFi settings.
3. 24/7 Customer Service and Remote Assistance: RealPad comes with free customer service and remote helping hand sessions available all day and everyday (24/7) with access to dedicated live tech experts via a toll-free number or email who can help RealPad owners answer their questions about using RealPad. This feature has been included to meet the needs of those who are unfamiliar with technology and need a little help learning how to use their tablets.
4. Affordable Pricing: RealPad is competitively priced at $189 to address cost concerns of many Americans for whom affordability has been a barrier to adopting digital technology. RealPad also includes a one-year AARP membership and a one-year limited warranty on the device. AARP is offering an affordable tablet that meets the needs of its users with lightning-fast performance and long battery life, but also comes with additional value such as free customer service, tutorial videos, preloaded apps, and more.
5. Pre-loaded Content and Tools to Ensure a Smooth Transition: RealPad comes with built-in video tutorials to help people who are new to digital technology, helping them learn how to use their tablet quickly and increase their confidence and comfort levels with technology. Tutorials include subjects such as understanding how to download apps, touchscreen basics, access and browse the Internet, and set up video calling, email accounts.
Built on Google's Android Platform KitKat 4.4, RealPad is ready for consumers to use right out of the box. Customers can pre-order RealPad beginning Sept. 4 at www.aarprealpad.org. Pre-orders of RealPad will start shipping out and be available in-store mid-October at Walmart stores nationwide right in time for the holiday season.
Specifications of RealPad
- Easy to use interface including RealPad RealQuick Fix for users to quickly view the status of their tablet on a dashboard (including battery life, Wi-Fi connection and Bluetooth Status, presence of untrusted apps, etc.)
- Free 24/7 customer service with access to a live expert
- More than 20 tutorial videos (top 10 pre-loaded on the tablet)
- One year complimentary AARP membership
- 7.85" screen size
- 1.2GHz Intel® Atom™ Z2520 processor
- 2.0MP front-facing and 5.0MP rear-facing cameras
- 16GB memory
- Connectivity - WiFi, Bluetooth
- OS: Android KitKat 4.4
Social mission is at the heart of AARP's introduction of RealPad. AARP is committed to equipping people to live their lives to its fullest and helping people seek Real Possibilities. In support of this mission, Pfizer has generously donated 100 RealPad™ tablet computers to the AARP Foundation (501C3 organization). These tablets will be used to support Foundation programs that focus on Isolation, Connectivity, Caregiving and Hunger and the Foundation will integrate RealPad into its efforts to increase social connection for isolated, low-income adults.
For more information on RealPad visit www.aarprealpad.org.
AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization, with a membership of nearly 38 million, that helps people turn their goals and dreams into real possibilities, strengthens communities and fights for the issues that matter most to families such as healthcare, employment and income security, retirement planning, affordable utilities and protection from financial abuse. We advocate for individuals in the marketplace by selecting products and services of high quality and value to carry the AARP name as well as help our members obtain discounts on a wide range of products, travel, and services. A trusted source for lifestyle tips, news and educational information, AARP produces AARP The Magazine, the world's largest circulation magazine; AARP Bulletin; www.aarp.org; AARP TV & Radio; AARP Books; and AARP en Español, a Spanish-language website addressing the interests and needs of Hispanics. AARP does not endorse candidates for public office or make contributions to political campaigns or candidates. The AARP Foundation is an affiliated charity that provides security, protection, and empowerment to older persons in need with support from thousands of volunteers, donors, and sponsors. AARP has staffed offices in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Learn more at www.aarp.org.
Too often with compelling new technologies market participants become overly enamored with that attractiveness of the technology and neglect underlying business drivers. This tendency, what some call the “newest shiny object syndrome,” is understandable given that virtually all of us are heavily engaged in technology. But it is also mistaken. Without concrete business cases driving its deployment, IoT, like many other technologies before it, will fade into obscurity.
Aug. 30, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 336
Any Ops team trying to support a company in today’s cloud-connected world knows that a new way of thinking is required – one just as dramatic than the shift from Ops to DevOps. The diversity of modern operations requires teams to focus their impact on breadth vs. depth. In his session at DevOps Summit, Adam Serediuk, Director of Operations at xMatters, Inc., will discuss the strategic requirements of evolving from Ops to DevOps, and why modern Operations has begun leveraging the “NoOps” approa...
Aug. 30, 2015 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 364
While many app developers are comfortable building apps for the smartphone, there is a whole new world out there. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Narayan Sainaney, Co-founder and CTO of Mojio, will discuss how the business case for connected car apps is growing and, with open platform companies having already done the heavy lifting, there really is no barrier to entry.
Aug. 30, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 131
SYS-CON Events announced today that G2G3 will exhibit at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit Silicon Valley, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Based on a collective appreciation for user experience, design, and technology, G2G3 is uniquely qualified and motivated to redefine how organizations and people engage in an increasingly digital world.
Aug. 30, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 460
As more intelligent IoT applications shift into gear, they’re merging into the ever-increasing traffic flow of the Internet. It won’t be long before we experience bottlenecks, as IoT traffic peaks during rush hours. Organizations that are unprepared will find themselves by the side of the road unable to cross back into the fast lane. As billions of new devices begin to communicate and exchange data – will your infrastructure be scalable enough to handle this new interconnected world?
Aug. 30, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 149
This Enterprise Strategy Group lab validation report of the NEC Express5800/R320 server with Intel® Xeon® processor presents the benefits of 99.999% uptime NEC fault-tolerant servers that lower overall virtualized server total cost of ownership. This report also includes survey data on the significant costs associated with system outages impacting enterprise and web applications. Click Here to Download Report Now!
Aug. 30, 2015 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 184
SYS-CON Events announced today that Micron Technology, Inc., a global leader in advanced semiconductor systems, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Micron’s broad portfolio of high-performance memory technologies – including DRAM, NAND and NOR Flash – is the basis for solid state drives, modules, multichip packages and other system solutions. Backed by more than 35 years of tech...
Aug. 30, 2015 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 215
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pythian, a global IT services company specializing in helping companies leverage disruptive technologies to optimize revenue-generating systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Founded in 1997, Pythian is a global IT services company that helps companies compete by adopting disruptive technologies such as cloud, Big Data, advance...
Aug. 30, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 281
SYS-CON Events announced today the Containers & Microservices Bootcamp, being held November 3-4, 2015, in conjunction with 17th Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, and @DevOpsSummit at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. This is your chance to get started with the latest technology in the industry. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the Containers and Microservices Bootcamp, led by Janakiram MSV, a Microsoft Regional Director, will include presentations as well as hands-on...
Aug. 30, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 265
Cloud and datacenter migration innovator AppZero has joined the Microsoft Enterprise Cloud Alliance Program. AppZero is a fast, flexible way to move Windows Server applications from any source machine – physical or virtual – to any destination server, in any cloud or datacenter, using its patented container technology. AppZero’s container is also called a Virtual Application Appliance (VAA). To facilitate Microsoft Azure onboarding, AppZero has two purpose-built offerings: AppZero SP for Azure,...
Aug. 30, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 170
SYS-CON Events announced today that HPM Networks will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For 20 years, HPM Networks has been integrating technology solutions that solve complex business challenges. HPM Networks has designed solutions for both SMB and enterprise customers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Aug. 30, 2015 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 873
Organizations from small to large are increasingly adopting cloud solutions to deliver essential business services at a much lower cost. According to cyber security experts, the frequency and severity of cyber-attacks are on the rise, causing alarm to businesses and customers across a variety of industries. To defend against exploits like these, a company must adopt a comprehensive security defense strategy that is designed for their business. In 2015, organizations such as United Airlines, Sony...
Aug. 30, 2015 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 433
Consumer IoT applications provide data about the user that just doesn’t exist in traditional PC or mobile web applications. This rich data, or “context,” enables the highly personalized consumer experiences that characterize many consumer IoT apps. This same data is also providing brands with unprecedented insight into how their connected products are being used, while, at the same time, powering highly targeted engagement and marketing opportunities. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nathan Trel...
Aug. 30, 2015 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 224
Red Hat is investing in Tesora, the number one contributor to OpenStack Trove Database as a Service (DBaaS) also ranked among the top 20 companies contributing to OpenStack overall. Tesora, the company bringing OpenStack Trove Database as a Service (DBaaS) to the enterprise, has announced that Red Hat and others have invested in the company as a part of Tesora's latest funding round. The funding agreement expands on the ongoing collaboration between Tesora and Red Hat, which dates back to Febr...
Aug. 30, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 337
IBM’s Blue Box Cloud, powered by OpenStack, is now available in any of IBM’s globally integrated cloud data centers running SoftLayer infrastructure. Less than 90 days after its acquisition of Blue Box, IBM has integrated its Blue Box Cloud Dedicated private-cloud-as-a-service into its broader portfolio of OpenStack® based solutions. The announcement, made today at the OpenStack Silicon Valley event, further highlights IBM’s continued support to deliver OpenStack solutions across all cloud depl...
Aug. 30, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 225