|By PR Newswire||
|September 4, 2014 10:11 AM EDT||
WASHINGTON, Sept. 4, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- AARP (http://aarp.org), the nation's largest advocate for 76 million baby boomers, today announced RealPad, a first of its kind tablet device built to address the specific needs of 70 million Americans 50+ who are yet to fully embrace tablet technology to help them stay connected. Powered by an Intel processor, RealPad is designed to make using technology an enjoyable, easy and affordable experience especially for people aged 50 and older who are still wary or apprehensive about using tablet technology.
"AARP understands that while technology is a wonderful thing and boomers are one of the biggest consumers of personal-tech, it can still be a daunting experience for a large majority of Americans 50+," said JoAnn Jenkins, CEO, AARP. "Our members have frequently expressed that the complexity, frustration and headaches of using technology just aren't worth the trouble. RealPad is our answer to address the challenges that are preventing technology-shy Americans 50 years and older from fully embracing the benefits of technology such as connecting with family, friends, communities and enjoying books, games, and learning."
AARP worked with Intel, which provides the vital intelligence inside a wide range of devices including tablets, to develop an intuitive, easy-to-use software interface for RealPad. RealPad will be available for sale beginning this fall at Walmart, a titan in the retail space, to help millions of Americans 50+ connect to and enjoy the benefits of the digital world.
"RealPad is powered by an Intel® Atom™ processor, providing vibrant visuals, lightning-fast Web browsing and app loading," said Brian Fravel, vice president of Intel Sales and Marketing and director of North America Marketing. "The long battery life enabled by the processor also means that users can listen, watch, play and be productive on the go. This all comes inside a sleek look and feel at an affordable price. In addition to powering RealPad, Intel helped build the software and unique interface on the tablet, making it simple and intuitive to interact with a RealPad tablet, even for those with little technology experience. Our support for RealPad is the latest example of our focus in enriching people's lives with our technologies."
Five Key Differentiators of RealPad for Tech-Apprehensive Americans
1. Easy to Use & Intuitive Interface to Help People Stay Connected: One of the most common complaints that AARP hears from its members is that tablets and smart phones are difficult to use and understand. For parents and grandparents who want to use a tablet to share photos of their children and grandchildren, have video chats with their children who live hundreds of miles away and to entertain themselves with online games, RealPad is a gateway to their digital life. Using Intel's software, RealPad has a unique, customized interface that has been designed specifically with the technology-apprehensive consumer in mind, delivering a tablet that is easy to use, giving them quick and convenient access to the capabilities they need most.
2. A RealQuick Fix Feature for One Click, Easy Tablet Troubleshooting: RealPad RealQuick Fix is a simple and powerful feature that allows users to quickly view the status of their tablet on a dashboard (including battery life, WiFi connection and Bluetooth status, presence of untrusted apps, etc.), identify common tablet problems and fix those problems with one click. One example is sometimes users would need to reset WiFi settings in order to get connected. Instead of going through various steps to do so, users only need to click the RealQuick Fix button to reset WiFi settings.
3. 24/7 Customer Service and Remote Assistance: RealPad comes with free customer service and remote helping hand sessions available all day and everyday (24/7) with access to dedicated live tech experts via a toll-free number or email who can help RealPad owners answer their questions about using RealPad. This feature has been included to meet the needs of those who are unfamiliar with technology and need a little help learning how to use their tablets.
4. Affordable Pricing: RealPad is competitively priced at $189 to address cost concerns of many Americans for whom affordability has been a barrier to adopting digital technology. RealPad also includes a one-year AARP membership and a one-year limited warranty on the device. AARP is offering an affordable tablet that meets the needs of its users with lightning-fast performance and long battery life, but also comes with additional value such as free customer service, tutorial videos, preloaded apps, and more.
5. Pre-loaded Content and Tools to Ensure a Smooth Transition: RealPad comes with built-in video tutorials to help people who are new to digital technology, helping them learn how to use their tablet quickly and increase their confidence and comfort levels with technology. Tutorials include subjects such as understanding how to download apps, touchscreen basics, access and browse the Internet, and set up video calling, email accounts.
Built on Google's Android Platform KitKat 4.4, RealPad is ready for consumers to use right out of the box. Customers can pre-order RealPad beginning Sept. 4 at www.aarprealpad.org. Pre-orders of RealPad will start shipping out and be available in-store mid-October at Walmart stores nationwide right in time for the holiday season.
Specifications of RealPad
- Easy to use interface including RealPad RealQuick Fix for users to quickly view the status of their tablet on a dashboard (including battery life, Wi-Fi connection and Bluetooth Status, presence of untrusted apps, etc.)
- Free 24/7 customer service with access to a live expert
- More than 20 tutorial videos (top 10 pre-loaded on the tablet)
- One year complimentary AARP membership
- 7.85" screen size
- 1.2GHz Intel® Atom™ Z2520 processor
- 2.0MP front-facing and 5.0MP rear-facing cameras
- 16GB memory
- Connectivity - WiFi, Bluetooth
- OS: Android KitKat 4.4
Social mission is at the heart of AARP's introduction of RealPad. AARP is committed to equipping people to live their lives to its fullest and helping people seek Real Possibilities. In support of this mission, Pfizer has generously donated 100 RealPad™ tablet computers to the AARP Foundation (501C3 organization). These tablets will be used to support Foundation programs that focus on Isolation, Connectivity, Caregiving and Hunger and the Foundation will integrate RealPad into its efforts to increase social connection for isolated, low-income adults.
For more information on RealPad visit www.aarprealpad.org.
AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization, with a membership of nearly 38 million, that helps people turn their goals and dreams into real possibilities, strengthens communities and fights for the issues that matter most to families such as healthcare, employment and income security, retirement planning, affordable utilities and protection from financial abuse. We advocate for individuals in the marketplace by selecting products and services of high quality and value to carry the AARP name as well as help our members obtain discounts on a wide range of products, travel, and services. A trusted source for lifestyle tips, news and educational information, AARP produces AARP The Magazine, the world's largest circulation magazine; AARP Bulletin; www.aarp.org; AARP TV & Radio; AARP Books; and AARP en Español, a Spanish-language website addressing the interests and needs of Hispanics. AARP does not endorse candidates for public office or make contributions to political campaigns or candidates. The AARP Foundation is an affiliated charity that provides security, protection, and empowerment to older persons in need with support from thousands of volunteers, donors, and sponsors. AARP has staffed offices in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Learn more at www.aarp.org.
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cemware will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Use MATLAB functions by just visiting website mathfreeon.com. MATLAB compatible, freely usable, online platform services. As of October 2016, 80,000 users from 180 countries are enjoying our platform service.
Oct. 28, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,007
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Oct. 28, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 4,015
Digitization is driving a fundamental change in society that is transforming the way businesses work with their customers, their supply chains and their people. Digital transformation leverages DevOps best practices, such as Agile Parallel Development, Continuous Delivery and Agile Operations to capitalize on opportunities and create competitive differentiation in the application economy. However, information security has been notably absent from the DevOps movement. Speed doesn’t have to negat...
Oct. 28, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,946
SYS-CON Events announced today that eCube Systems, the leading provider of modern development tools and best practices for Continuous Integration on OpenVMS, will exhibit at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. eCube Systems offers a family of middleware products and development tools that maximize return on technology investment by leveraging existing technical equity to meet evolving business needs. ...
Oct. 28, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,694
SYS-CON Events announced today that MathFreeOn will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MathFreeOn is Software as a Service (SaaS) used in Engineering and Math education. Write scripts and solve math problems online. MathFreeOn provides online courses for beginners or amateurs who have difficulties in writing scripts. In accordance with various mathematical topics, there are more tha...
Oct. 28, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,216
In an era of historic innovation fueled by unprecedented access to data and technology, the low cost and risk of entering new markets has leveled the playing field for business. Today, any ambitious innovator can easily introduce a new application or product that can reinvent business models and transform the client experience. In their Day 2 Keynote at 19th Cloud Expo, Mercer Rowe, IBM Vice President of Strategic Alliances, and Raejeanne Skillern, Intel Vice President of Data Center Group and ...
Oct. 28, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,715
The best way to leverage your Cloud Expo presence as a sponsor and exhibitor is to plan your news announcements around our events. The press covering Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo will have access to these releases and will amplify your news announcements. More than two dozen Cloud companies either set deals at our shows or have announced their mergers and acquisitions at Cloud Expo. Product announcements during our show provide your company with the most reach through our targeted audiences.
Oct. 28, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 5,165
In the 21st century, security on the Internet has become one of the most important issues. We hear more and more about cyber-attacks on the websites of large corporations, banks and even small businesses. When online we’re concerned not only for our own safety but also our privacy. We have to know that hackers usually start their preparation by investigating the private information of admins – the habits, interests, visited websites and so on. On the other hand, our own security is in danger bec...
Oct. 28, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 741
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential Internet of Things Brand by Onalytica in the ‘The Internet of Things Landscape 2015: Top 100 Individuals and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed Twitter conversations around the #IoT debate to uncover the most influential brands and individuals driving the conversation. Onalytica captured data from 56,224 users. The PageRank based methodology they use to extract influencers on a particular topic (tweets mentioning #InternetofThings or #IoT in this ...
Oct. 28, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 8,653
There is growing need for data-driven applications and the need for digital platforms to build these apps. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Muddu Sudhakar, VP and GM of Security & IoT at Splunk, will cover different PaaS solutions and Big Data platforms that are available to build applications. In addition, AI and machine learning are creating new requirements that developers need in the building of next-gen apps. The next-generation digital platforms have some of the past platform needs a...
Oct. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,412
Join Impiger for their featured webinar: ‘Cloud Computing: A Roadmap to Modern Software Delivery’ on November 10, 2016, at 12:00 pm CST. Very few companies have not experienced some impact to their IT delivery due to the evolution of cloud computing. This webinar is not about deciding whether you should entertain moving some or all of your IT to the cloud, but rather, a detailed look under the hood to help IT professionals understand how cloud adoption has evolved and what trends will impact th...
Oct. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 783
"We've discovered that after shows 80% if leads that people get, 80% of the conversations end up on the show floor, meaning people forget about it, people forget who they talk to, people forget that there are actual business opportunities to be had here so we try to help out and keep the conversations going," explained Jeff Mesnik, Founder and President of ContentMX, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Oct. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,722
The Internet of Things (IoT) promises to simplify and streamline our lives by automating routine tasks that distract us from our goals. This promise is based on the ubiquitous deployment of smart, connected devices that link everything from industrial control systems to automobiles to refrigerators. Unfortunately, comparatively few of the devices currently deployed have been developed with an eye toward security, and as the DDoS attacks of late October 2016 have demonstrated, this oversight can ...
Oct. 28, 2016 12:52 PM EDT Reads: 219
Enterprises have been using both Big Data and virtualization for years. Until recently, however, most enterprises have not combined the two. Big Data's demands for higher levels of performance, the ability to control quality-of-service (QoS), and the ability to adhere to SLAs have kept it on bare metal, apart from the modern data center cloud. With recent technology innovations, we've seen the advantages of bare metal erode to such a degree that the enhanced flexibility and reduced costs that cl...
Oct. 28, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 742
Intelligent machines are here. Robots, self-driving cars, drones, bots and many IoT devices are becoming smarter with Machine Learning. In her session at @ThingsExpo, Sudha Jamthe, CEO of IoTDisruptions.com, will discuss the next wave of business disruption at the junction of IoT and AI, impacting many industries and set to change our lives, work and world as we know it.
Oct. 28, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 634