|By PR Newswire||
|September 4, 2014 10:11 AM EDT||
WASHINGTON, Sept. 4, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- AARP (http://aarp.org), the nation's largest advocate for 76 million baby boomers, today announced RealPad, a first of its kind tablet device built to address the specific needs of 70 million Americans 50+ who are yet to fully embrace tablet technology to help them stay connected. Powered by an Intel processor, RealPad is designed to make using technology an enjoyable, easy and affordable experience especially for people aged 50 and older who are still wary or apprehensive about using tablet technology.
"AARP understands that while technology is a wonderful thing and boomers are one of the biggest consumers of personal-tech, it can still be a daunting experience for a large majority of Americans 50+," said JoAnn Jenkins, CEO, AARP. "Our members have frequently expressed that the complexity, frustration and headaches of using technology just aren't worth the trouble. RealPad is our answer to address the challenges that are preventing technology-shy Americans 50 years and older from fully embracing the benefits of technology such as connecting with family, friends, communities and enjoying books, games, and learning."
AARP worked with Intel, which provides the vital intelligence inside a wide range of devices including tablets, to develop an intuitive, easy-to-use software interface for RealPad. RealPad will be available for sale beginning this fall at Walmart, a titan in the retail space, to help millions of Americans 50+ connect to and enjoy the benefits of the digital world.
"RealPad is powered by an Intel® Atom™ processor, providing vibrant visuals, lightning-fast Web browsing and app loading," said Brian Fravel, vice president of Intel Sales and Marketing and director of North America Marketing. "The long battery life enabled by the processor also means that users can listen, watch, play and be productive on the go. This all comes inside a sleek look and feel at an affordable price. In addition to powering RealPad, Intel helped build the software and unique interface on the tablet, making it simple and intuitive to interact with a RealPad tablet, even for those with little technology experience. Our support for RealPad is the latest example of our focus in enriching people's lives with our technologies."
Five Key Differentiators of RealPad for Tech-Apprehensive Americans
1. Easy to Use & Intuitive Interface to Help People Stay Connected: One of the most common complaints that AARP hears from its members is that tablets and smart phones are difficult to use and understand. For parents and grandparents who want to use a tablet to share photos of their children and grandchildren, have video chats with their children who live hundreds of miles away and to entertain themselves with online games, RealPad is a gateway to their digital life. Using Intel's software, RealPad has a unique, customized interface that has been designed specifically with the technology-apprehensive consumer in mind, delivering a tablet that is easy to use, giving them quick and convenient access to the capabilities they need most.
2. A RealQuick Fix Feature for One Click, Easy Tablet Troubleshooting: RealPad RealQuick Fix is a simple and powerful feature that allows users to quickly view the status of their tablet on a dashboard (including battery life, WiFi connection and Bluetooth status, presence of untrusted apps, etc.), identify common tablet problems and fix those problems with one click. One example is sometimes users would need to reset WiFi settings in order to get connected. Instead of going through various steps to do so, users only need to click the RealQuick Fix button to reset WiFi settings.
3. 24/7 Customer Service and Remote Assistance: RealPad comes with free customer service and remote helping hand sessions available all day and everyday (24/7) with access to dedicated live tech experts via a toll-free number or email who can help RealPad owners answer their questions about using RealPad. This feature has been included to meet the needs of those who are unfamiliar with technology and need a little help learning how to use their tablets.
4. Affordable Pricing: RealPad is competitively priced at $189 to address cost concerns of many Americans for whom affordability has been a barrier to adopting digital technology. RealPad also includes a one-year AARP membership and a one-year limited warranty on the device. AARP is offering an affordable tablet that meets the needs of its users with lightning-fast performance and long battery life, but also comes with additional value such as free customer service, tutorial videos, preloaded apps, and more.
5. Pre-loaded Content and Tools to Ensure a Smooth Transition: RealPad comes with built-in video tutorials to help people who are new to digital technology, helping them learn how to use their tablet quickly and increase their confidence and comfort levels with technology. Tutorials include subjects such as understanding how to download apps, touchscreen basics, access and browse the Internet, and set up video calling, email accounts.
Built on Google's Android Platform KitKat 4.4, RealPad is ready for consumers to use right out of the box. Customers can pre-order RealPad beginning Sept. 4 at www.aarprealpad.org. Pre-orders of RealPad will start shipping out and be available in-store mid-October at Walmart stores nationwide right in time for the holiday season.
Specifications of RealPad
- Easy to use interface including RealPad RealQuick Fix for users to quickly view the status of their tablet on a dashboard (including battery life, Wi-Fi connection and Bluetooth Status, presence of untrusted apps, etc.)
- Free 24/7 customer service with access to a live expert
- More than 20 tutorial videos (top 10 pre-loaded on the tablet)
- One year complimentary AARP membership
- 7.85" screen size
- 1.2GHz Intel® Atom™ Z2520 processor
- 2.0MP front-facing and 5.0MP rear-facing cameras
- 16GB memory
- Connectivity - WiFi, Bluetooth
- OS: Android KitKat 4.4
Social mission is at the heart of AARP's introduction of RealPad. AARP is committed to equipping people to live their lives to its fullest and helping people seek Real Possibilities. In support of this mission, Pfizer has generously donated 100 RealPad™ tablet computers to the AARP Foundation (501C3 organization). These tablets will be used to support Foundation programs that focus on Isolation, Connectivity, Caregiving and Hunger and the Foundation will integrate RealPad into its efforts to increase social connection for isolated, low-income adults.
For more information on RealPad visit www.aarprealpad.org.
AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization, with a membership of nearly 38 million, that helps people turn their goals and dreams into real possibilities, strengthens communities and fights for the issues that matter most to families such as healthcare, employment and income security, retirement planning, affordable utilities and protection from financial abuse. We advocate for individuals in the marketplace by selecting products and services of high quality and value to carry the AARP name as well as help our members obtain discounts on a wide range of products, travel, and services. A trusted source for lifestyle tips, news and educational information, AARP produces AARP The Magazine, the world's largest circulation magazine; AARP Bulletin; www.aarp.org; AARP TV & Radio; AARP Books; and AARP en Español, a Spanish-language website addressing the interests and needs of Hispanics. AARP does not endorse candidates for public office or make contributions to political campaigns or candidates. The AARP Foundation is an affiliated charity that provides security, protection, and empowerment to older persons in need with support from thousands of volunteers, donors, and sponsors. AARP has staffed offices in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Learn more at www.aarp.org.
More and more brands have jumped on the IoT bandwagon. We have an excess of wearables – activity trackers, smartwatches, smart glasses and sneakers, and more that track seemingly endless datapoints. However, most consumers have no idea what “IoT” means. Creating more wearables that track data shouldn't be the aim of brands; delivering meaningful, tangible relevance to their users should be. We're in a period in which the IoT pendulum is still swinging. Initially, it swung toward "smart for smart...
Feb. 28, 2017 10:15 AM EST Reads: 200
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm. In his general session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will explore...
Feb. 28, 2017 10:15 AM EST Reads: 1,950
Growth hacking is common for startups to make unheard-of progress in building their business. Career Hacks can help Geek Girls and those who support them (yes, that's you too, Dad!) to excel in this typically male-dominated world. Get ready to learn the facts: Is there a bias against women in the tech / developer communities? Why are women 50% of the workforce, but hold only 24% of the STEM or IT positions? Some beginnings of what to do about it! In her Day 2 Keynote at 17th Cloud Expo, Sandy Ca...
Feb. 28, 2017 10:00 AM EST Reads: 10,342
Tricky charts and visually deceptive graphs often make a case for the impact IT performance has on business. The debate isn't around the obvious; of course, IT performance metrics like website load time influence business metrics such as conversions and revenue. Rather, this presentation will explore various data analysis concepts to understand how, and how not to, assert such correlations. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Sys...
Feb. 28, 2017 10:00 AM EST Reads: 2,140
The buzz continues for cloud, data analytics and the Internet of Things (IoT) and their collective impact across all industries. But a new conversation is emerging - how do companies use industry disruption and technology enablers to lead in markets undergoing change, uncertainty and ambiguity? Organizations of all sizes need to evolve and transform, often under massive pressure, as industry lines blur and merge and traditional business models are assaulted and turned upside down. In this new da...
Feb. 28, 2017 09:30 AM EST Reads: 1,728
SYS-CON Events announced today that Technologic Systems Inc., an embedded systems solutions company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Technologic Systems is an embedded systems company with headquarters in Fountain Hills, Arizona. They have been in business for 32 years, helping more than 8,000 OEM customers and building over a hundred COTS products that have never been discontinued. Technologic Systems’ pr...
Feb. 28, 2017 09:30 AM EST Reads: 154
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm.
Feb. 28, 2017 09:30 AM EST Reads: 1,057
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint Systems, Inc., a provider of innovative web and infrastructure monitoring solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit at 18th Cloud Expo New York, which will take place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Catchpoint is a leading Digital Performance Analytics company that provides unparalleled insight into customer-critical services to help consistently deliver an amazing customer experience. Designed ...
Feb. 28, 2017 09:15 AM EST Reads: 853
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Feb. 28, 2017 09:15 AM EST Reads: 2,321
Unsecured IoT devices were used to launch crippling DDOS attacks in October 2016, targeting services such as Twitter, Spotify, and GitHub. Subsequent testimony to Congress about potential attacks on office buildings, schools, and hospitals raised the possibility for the IoT to harm and even kill people. What should be done? Does the government need to intervene? This panel at @ThingExpo New York brings together leading IoT and security experts to discuss this very serious topic.
Feb. 28, 2017 09:15 AM EST Reads: 3,231
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, discussed the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Feb. 28, 2017 09:15 AM EST Reads: 6,552
LogMeIn has completed its previously disclosed merger with Citrix Systems, Inc.’s GetGo, Inc. subsidiary, a wholly owned subsidiary consisting of Citrix’s GoTo family of service offerings. The merger officially closed after market hours on January 31, 2017. Effected through a Reverse Morris Trust transaction, the merger brings together two of the preeminent players in cloud connectivity to instantly create one of the world’s top 10 public SaaS companies, and a market leader with the scale, resou...
Feb. 28, 2017 09:00 AM EST Reads: 624
DevOps tends to focus on the relationship between Dev and Ops, putting an emphasis on the ops and application infrastructure. But that’s changing with microservices architectures. In her session at DevOps Summit, Lori MacVittie, Evangelist for F5 Networks, will focus on how microservices are changing the underlying architectures needed to scale, secure and deliver applications based on highly distributed (micro) services and why that means an expansion into “the network” for DevOps.
Feb. 28, 2017 09:00 AM EST Reads: 6,789
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitrons Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Hitrons Solutions Inc. is distributor in the North American market for unique products and services of small and medium-size businesses, including cloud services and solutions, SEO marketing platforms, and mobile applications.
Feb. 28, 2017 08:45 AM EST Reads: 1,115
Ayehu provides IT Process Automation & Orchestration solutions for IT and Security professionals to identify and resolve critical incidents and enable rapid containment, eradication, and recovery from cyber security breaches. Ayehu provides customers greater control over IT infrastructure through automation. Ayehu solutions have been deployed by major enterprises worldwide, and currently, support thousands of IT processes across the globe. The company has offices in New York, California, and Isr...
Feb. 28, 2017 08:30 AM EST Reads: 935