|By Marketwired .||
|November 30, 2016 12:46 PM EST|
NEW YORK, NY--(Marketwired - November 30, 2016) - Aviation Week & Space Technology announced today the nominees for the 60
"These finalists were selected by our senior editors after a rigorous review of nominations from within the Aviation Week Network and across the global aerospace aviation, aerospace and defense industries," said Aviation Week & Space Technology Editor-in-Chief Joseph C. Anselmo. "They embody the spirit of exploration, innovation and vision that will inspire others to strive for broad-reaching progress. We look forward to honoring them all, and announcing the winners in each category, in March."
The award categories are civil aviation, defense, space, business aviation, technology, innovation, and new this year, MRO. In addition, Aviation Week & Space Technology will bestow two Philip J. Klass Awards for Lifetime Achievement and one Heroism award at the event. During the event, four cadets and midshipmen from U.S. military academies will be recognized as Tomorrow's Leaders, honoring young men and women who have chosen career paths in the armed forces.
In addition to the Laureates Awards, Aviation Week & Space Technology will host a luncheon early in the day, honoring the "20 Twenties" in partnership with American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA). This program recognizes the accomplishments and drive of 20 science, technology, engineering and math students in their 20s and currently enrolled in a master's degree or bachelor's degree program.
The Laureate Nominees are:
- Alan Joyce, CEO, Qantas for leading the Australian flag carrier's remarkable turnaround from the worst loss in its history in 2014 to a record profit in 2016.
- Airbus, for the entry into service of the A320neo, bringing substantial fuel savings to airlines through reengining with both Pratt & Whitney PW1100-G and CFM International Leap-1A engines.
- Bombardier, for entry into service of the C Series, the first clean-sheet narrowbody airliner to enter service in more than 20 years.
- FAA Fire Safety Branch, at the William J. Hughes Technical Center, for developing testing standards for containers to safely hold lithium-ion batteries during air transport.
- United Airlines and AltAir Fuels, for the first commercial-scale use of biofuels, on regular scheduled flights from Los Angeles International Airport.
- DARPA, Naval Air Systems Command and Lockheed Martin, for development of the stealthy Long-Range Anti-Ship Missile to meet an urgent U.S. Navy operational need.
- Embraer, for significant progress on flight testing the KC-390 tanker/transport, despite Brazil's economic difficulties slowing development and delaying deliveries.
- Lockheed Martin F-35 team, for achieving a turning point in development in 2016, enabling the U.S. Air Force to declare initial operational capability with the F-35A.
- Netherlands defense ministry and Luxembourg, for launching a multinational tanker force to address a critical lack of aerial refueling capability in European NATO air forces.
- Space Surveillance Telescope team of DARPA, MIT Lincoln Labs and L-3 Communications, for improving the detection and tracking of orbital debris.
- Blue Origin, for successful reuse of the New Shepard suborbital booster on a total of five flights, culminating in inflight abort test on the final mission.
- NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory and Lockheed Martin for the Juno mission, setting a precedent in using only solar arrays for power on missions to the outer Solar System.
- NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory for the Dawn orbiter, the first space probe to orbit two extraterrestrial bodies, including the first visit to a dwarf planet.
- Space Exploration Technologies, for recovery of multiple Falcon 9 first stages on land and at sea, and the first sale of a reused booster to a customer.
- EasyJet, for innovations in airliner maintenance, including pioneering the use of small unmanned aircraft to help visually inspect aircraft for lighting-strike damage.
- GE Aviation, for its collaboration with airline customers in the application of a new cloud-based software platform to supply data analysis for predictive maintenance.
- LATAM Airlines, for managing the rapid, large-scale implementation of wireless IFE across its 235-aircraft narrowbody fleet in 20 months.
- Lufthansa Technik, for pioneering innovations in MRO, including launch of the Condition Analytics platform combining condition monitoring and predictive analytics
- Cirrus Aircraft, for the SF-50 Vision, the first civilian single-engine light jet to earn FAAA type and production certification and to enter service.
- Corporate Angel Network, for providing free transport in business aircraft to 50,000 cancer patients traveling to treatment centers in the U.S.
- FlightSafety International, for developing and fielding the first full flight simulator to receive FAA approval for aircraft upset-prevention-and-recovery-training of pilots.
- Wheels Up, the membership air transportation provider, for expanding access to business aviation to a broad range of business and leisure travelers.
- BAE Systems and Gulfstream, for the first commercial active side-stick controller, to be certified in the G500 and G600 business jets.
- Edge Aerodynamics, for development of fuel-saving conformal vortex generators, and their supplement type certification on the Boeing 737.
- Pipistrel Aircraft, for leadership in electric propulsion, from production light aircraft to hybrid-electric and fuel-cell technology demonstrations.
- Solar Impulse co-founders Andre Borschberg and Bertrand Piccard, for demonstrating the potential of green energy by flying round the world on solar power.
- Jaiwon Shin, NASA Associate Administrator for Aeronautics, for leadership in developing a compelling strategy to guide U.S. civil aviation research.
- E-volvo Volocopter team, for the first certification of an electric multicopter aircraft, enabling manned test flights of the two-seat VC200.
- HeliOffshore, for initiatives to improve the safety of offshore helicopter operations, made since the global industry association was established in 2014.
- Open Group Future Airborne Capability Environment Consortium, for assuring software conforming to the FACE technical standard is open, portable and reusable.
- The Kenn Borek Air crews that, in a nine-day rescue operation in the extreme cold and darkness of an Antarctic winter, evacuated two people from the South Pole for medical treatment.
THE PHILIP J. KLASS AWARD for Lifetime Achievement
- Maj. Gen. Charles Frank Bolden, Jr., (USMC-Ret.), for his nearly 50 years of service as a Marine Corps aviator and test pilot, astronaut and NASA administrator.
- John Tracy, for leadership in developing composite primary structures for commercial aircraft during his 35-year career at Boeing, culminating as chief technology officer.
The Laureate Awards ceremony is one of the industry's premier events, attracting hundreds of industry pioneers and thought leaders from around the world. For a list of previous winners, click here. Aviation Week & Space Technology is the event's official publication. Media support is provided by Air Transport World and SpeedNews.
Complete coverage of the Laureate Awards is available in Aviation Week & Space Technology and on http://www.aviationweek.com. For more information on all Aviation Week events, visit http://events.aviationweek.com. On Twitter, follow @AvWeekEvents, @AviationWeek, #AWLAUR.
ABOUT AVIATION WEEK NETWORK
Penton's Aviation Week Network is the largest multimedia information and services provider for the global aviation, aerospace and defense industries. Industry professionals rely on Aviation Week for analysis, marketing and intelligence. The product portfolio includes Aviation Week & Space Technology, AC-U-KWIK, Aircraft Blue Book, Airportdata.com, Air Charter Guide, Air Transport World, AviationWeek.com, Aviation Week Intelligence Network, Business & Commercial Aviation, ShowNews, SpeedNews, Fleet and MRO forecasts, global conferences & exhibitions in the MRO (maintenance, repair and overhaul) industry and aerospace & defense conferences.
Penton is an innovative information services company that empowers nearly 20 million business decision makers in markets that drive more than 12 trillion dollars in purchases each year. Our products inform with rich industry insights and workflow tools; engage through dynamic events, education and networking; and advance business with powerful marketing services programs. Penton is the way smart businesses buy, sell and grow. For more information, visit http://www.penton.com or follow us on Twitter @PentonNow.
Elizabeth Kelley Grace
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Mar. 25, 2017 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,401
Interoute has announced the integration of its Global Cloud Infrastructure platform with Rancher Labs’ container management platform, Rancher. This approach enables enterprises to accelerate their digital transformation and infrastructure investments. Matthew Finnie, Interoute CTO commented “Enterprises developing and building apps in the cloud and those on a path to Digital Transformation need Digital ICT Infrastructure that allows them to build, test and deploy faster than ever before. The int...
Mar. 25, 2017 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 668
SYS-CON Events announced today that CrowdReviews.com has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6–8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. CrowdReviews.com is a transparent online platform for determining which products and services are the best based on the opinion of the crowd. The crowd consists of Internet users that have experienced products and services first-hand and have an interest in letting other potential buyers...
Mar. 25, 2017 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,426
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Mar. 25, 2017 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,980
@DevOpsSummit has been named the ‘Top DevOps Influencer' by iTrend. iTrend processes millions of conversations, tweets, interactions, news articles, press releases, blog posts - and extract meaning form them and analyzes mobile and desktop software platforms used to communicate, various metadata (such as geo location), and automation tools. In overall placement, @DevOpsSummit ranked as the number one ‘DevOps Influencer' followed by @CloudExpo at third, and @MicroservicesE at 24th.
Mar. 25, 2017 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 10,160
Virtualization over the past years has become a key strategy for IT to acquire multi-tenancy, increase utilization, develop elasticity and improve security. And virtual machines (VMs) are quickly becoming a main vehicle for developing and deploying applications. The introduction of containers seems to be bringing another and perhaps overlapped solution for achieving the same above-mentioned benefits. Are a container and a virtual machine fundamentally the same or different? And how? Is one techn...
Mar. 25, 2017 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,816
SYS-CON Events announced today that Infranics will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Since 2000, Infranics has developed SysMaster Suite, which is required for the stable and efficient management of ICT infrastructure. The ICT management solution developed and provided by Infranics continues to add intelligence to the ICT infrastructure through the IMC (Infra Management Cycle) based on mathemat...
Mar. 25, 2017 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,818
Have you ever noticed how some IT people seem to lead successful, rewarding, and satisfying lives and careers, while others struggle? IT author and speaker Don Crawley uncovered the five principles that successful IT people use to build satisfying lives and careers and he shares them in this fast-paced, thought-provoking webinar. You'll learn the importance of striking a balance with technical skills and people skills, challenge your pre-existing ideas about IT customer service, and gain new in...
Mar. 25, 2017 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,356
SYS-CON Events announced today that SD Times | BZ Media has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6–8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. BZ Media LLC is a high-tech media company that produces technical conferences and expositions, and publishes a magazine, newsletters and websites in the software development, SharePoint, mobile development and commercial UAV markets.
Mar. 25, 2017 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,116
SYS-CON Events announced today that Telecom Reseller has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6–8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Telecom Reseller reports on Unified Communications, UCaaS, BPaaS for enterprise and SMBs. They report extensively on both customer premises based solutions such as IP-PBX as well as cloud based and hosted platforms.
Mar. 25, 2017 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,940
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudistics, an on-premises cloud computing company, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloudistics delivers a complete public cloud experience with composable on-premises infrastructures to medium and large enterprises. Its software-defined technology natively converges network, storage, compute, virtualization, and management into a ...
Mar. 25, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,737
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Mar. 25, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 13,919
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Mar. 25, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,168
"I think that everyone recognizes that for IoT to really realize its full potential and value that it is about creating ecosystems and marketplaces and that no single vendor is able to support what is required," explained Esmeralda Swartz, VP, Marketing Enterprise and Cloud at Ericsson, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Mar. 25, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,002
Historically, some banking activities such as trading have been relying heavily on analytics and cutting edge algorithmic tools. The coming of age of powerful data analytics solutions combined with the development of intelligent algorithms have created new opportunities for financial institutions. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Sebastien Meunier, Head of Digital for North America at Chappuis Halder & Co., will discuss how these tools can be leveraged to develop a lasting competitive advanta...
Mar. 25, 2017 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,574